Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 92  All

Author Topic: RMM23: Deus Ex Machina (Town Wins!)  (Read 193467 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
Re: RMM23: Deus Ex Machina (D2!)
« Reply #1775 on: March 30, 2015, 07:07:49 pm »

I want to stress again just how incredibly scummy, disengenous, low-down, loathesome, and heretical faust's post was.  He uses a holier-than-thou tone to "break down" the ONLY possible options, but leaves out the most important one, that he himself could be lying.

It's the biggest misdirection ploy in a single post I've ever seen.  It's like:

"The answer to the math question about adding whole, positive numbers is 8.  The only possible way to get 8 by adding whole positive numbers is 1+7, 2+6, and 3+5."

Faust lying is 4+4, and he left it out.

I don't agree this is scummy.  I tend to leave out scum!me scenarios when considering things.. actually I think town is somewhat more likely to do it than scum (modulo meta). One, scum wants to make sure everything is polished, and two, town knows they're telling the truth.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: March 30, 2015, 07:09:17 pm »

But your "me or him" post came *before* Faust claimed his night action.  He had only voted you.  How could you know there wasn't a town!Faust explanation?

I knew from the moment I got my result PM that faust had to be the partner because of the way he'd been treating Joseph the entire time.  And he just solidified it when he was pushing for claiming order, then freaking out about me not claiming on time (way too concerned there, if you go back and look), and then his seagull poop response when I caught his partner.

It's me (and whoever is with me) vs. Joseph/Faust.  And then we need to find Hydrad's partner.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: March 30, 2015, 07:10:26 pm »

I want to stress again just how incredibly scummy, disengenous, low-down, loathesome, and heretical faust's post was.  He uses a holier-than-thou tone to "break down" the ONLY possible options, but leaves out the most important one, that he himself could be lying.

It's the biggest misdirection ploy in a single post I've ever seen.  It's like:

"The answer to the math question about adding whole, positive numbers is 8.  The only possible way to get 8 by adding whole positive numbers is 1+7, 2+6, and 3+5."

Faust lying is 4+4, and he left it out.

I don't agree this is scummy.  I tend to leave out scum!me scenarios when considering things.. actually I think town is somewhat more likely to do it than scum (modulo meta). One, scum wants to make sure everything is polished, and two, town knows they're telling the truth.

I fully disagree with you.  I always include the "I'm scum" scenario when I'm town.  Otherwise you aren't being honest or sincere.  To leave that out is inherently scummy to the nth degree.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: March 30, 2015, 07:10:44 pm »

But your "me or him" post came *before* Faust claimed his night action.  He had only voted you.  How could you know there wasn't a town!Faust explanation?

I knew from the moment I got my result PM that faust had to be the partner because of the way he'd been treating Joseph the entire time.  And he just solidified it when he was pushing for claiming order, then freaking out about me not claiming on time (way too concerned there, if you go back and look), and then his seagull poop response when I caught his partner.

It's me (and whoever is with me) vs. Joseph/Faust.  And then we need to find Hydrad's partner.

Sweet. then I'm an IC ;)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: March 30, 2015, 07:12:41 pm »

Damn, I should have chosen Faust.  Or tried Ash again.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1780 on: March 30, 2015, 07:13:25 pm »

I fully disagree with you.  I always include the "I'm scum" scenario when I'm town.  Otherwise you aren't being honest or sincere.  To leave that out is inherently scummy to the nth degree.

I'm being honest and sincere when I leave out the "I'm scum" scenario when I'm town. It's completely true that I'm not scum so there's nothing dishonest or insincere about that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: March 30, 2015, 07:15:30 pm »

Sweet. then I'm an IC ;)

Because you can't be Hydrad's partner?  I think that you take everyone that isn't Joseph/Faust and you look at them closely to see if they could be Hydrad's partner.

You want to make a scum case on me?  I didn't vote for him (wouldn't vote for him) on D1.  That isn't great.  But if I'm Hydrad's partner, seems pretty crazy stupid for me to go out on a limb with a lie at this point in the game, don't you think?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1782 on: March 30, 2015, 07:16:13 pm »

I'm more inclined to lynch one of faust/Joseph than ashersky today, because I agree that they're probably partners if one of them is scum. If ashersky is scum, then we still need to find his partner (although I think Ichi is a pretty good choice, but it's not as clear).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: March 30, 2015, 07:16:31 pm »

I'm being honest and sincere when I leave out the "I'm scum" scenario when I'm town. It's completely true that I'm not scum so there's nothing dishonest or insincere about that.

Not for your reader.  How can we trust you?  We don't know if you are town.  If you are purporting to be presenting a fully honest and neutral case for everyone to review and decide upon, you have to include all possibilities.  If you don't, we will just assume you are hiding it on purpose.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: March 30, 2015, 07:17:25 pm »

yeah. I recall several instances where I had to make this decision as town and consciously decided to leave the scum!me narrative out in order to appear more towny.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1785 on: March 30, 2015, 07:20:34 pm »

Not for your reader.  How can we trust you?  We don't know if you are town.  If you are purporting to be presenting a fully honest and neutral case for everyone to review and decide upon, you have to include all possibilities.  If you don't, we will just assume you are hiding it on purpose.

Of course I'm hiding it on purpose. Town doesn't need that information because it's not true anyway, why would I put it there? It would just make my post longer, which is something I always try to avoid.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: March 30, 2015, 07:26:43 pm »

I think hiding anything on purpose (edge cases excluded) is scummy.

To answer a previous question, I think the duplicator action would fall under supportive, which is a category of action possible.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1787 on: March 30, 2015, 07:36:25 pm »

I think hiding anything that would help town on purpose is scummy. Hiding anything that distracts town is towny.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: March 30, 2015, 07:51:08 pm »

I'm confused, because I know I'm not lying, but ash has felt towny all game to me. Does that mean faust is scum? That still doesn't explain ash's night action thing.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: March 30, 2015, 09:19:27 pm »

I'm confused, because I know I'm not lying, but ash has felt towny all game to me. Does that mean faust is scum? That still doesn't explain ash's night action thing.

There is a narrative where faust, claiming last always because we let him, can claim whatever he wants.

For example, his claim today.  He was given all the information he needed before claiming.  I mean, that is on us somewhat.  Investigative roles are definitely more trustworthy when claiming first.  Then if someone contradicts it is a clear "me vs you" scenario.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: March 30, 2015, 09:20:25 pm »

Not saying I believe that narrative at the moment.  Haven't made up my mind yet.  Just thinking out loud
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: March 30, 2015, 09:59:54 pm »

To answer a previous question, I think the duplicator action would fall under supportive, which is a category of action possible.

I think creating the duplicator (I.e., ADKs role) sounds Supportive, but Joseph used the item.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: March 30, 2015, 10:02:14 pm »

There is a narrative where faust, claiming last always because we let him, can claim whatever he wants.

For example, his claim today.  He was given all the information he needed before claiming.  I mean, that is on us somewhat.  Investigative roles are definitely more trustworthy when claiming first.  Then if someone contradicts it is a clear "me vs you" scenario.

Yeah, but the thing is, how often does scum do that and insist on controlling the plan and claiming last?  Maybe Faust is a bold enough scum to do it, but more often scum has a little bit of "hey is this okay with everyone?" to their ideas.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: March 30, 2015, 10:14:38 pm »

I think creating the duplicator (I.e., ADKs role) sounds Supportive, but Joseph used the item.

I'm not sure using the item would even count as taking an action anyway, and the mod won't answer that question anyway.

Doubling a power isn't manipulative to me, anyway.  It's supportive, and that's the best option from the list of role types I have, if it was something that would have returned a result.

Like, a vig would return killing, right?  And a cop would return investigative (like faust did on N1).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: March 30, 2015, 10:29:30 pm »

Maybe, I don't know.  Maybe Joseph actually does something about moving/modifying Attacks?  But I'm still sick on why make up Poisoner.  I don't quite buy the narrative of being caught with the massclaim and coming up with that.

And also, I just think Faust is town :/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: March 30, 2015, 10:29:50 pm »

*stuck

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: March 31, 2015, 03:12:17 am »

Okay. Now comes the mudfight part...
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: March 31, 2015, 03:16:20 am »

This is a blatant lie or a scum slip.  Scum can 1000000% kill their partners in any normal mafia game, so why would this be different?  If they can't think game, it's because you asked and found out.

Sure. I asked and found out, then I posted the answer here, cause that's the clever kid I am.

- Attacks from one faction can affect members of the other faction. [color]

So I read this as "mafia can't self-attack". It's ambiguous though.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: March 31, 2015, 03:19:03 am »

And how incredibly fucking convenient that your result confirms Joseph's role?

How incredibly [-swearing] convenient that your result counters Joseph's role?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: March 31, 2015, 03:19:48 am »

And in your breakdown, you leave out (conveniently) the most likely scenario of all: 4) faust lied.

Yeah, well, I know this is not the case. How was I an IC to you earlier and now you're convinced I'm scum?
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 92  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 16 queries.