Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 92  All

Author Topic: RMM23: Deus Ex Machina (Town Wins!)  (Read 193411 times)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
Re: RMM23: Deus Ex Machina (D2!)
« Reply #1725 on: March 30, 2015, 11:56:24 am »

What's the point of this anyway?

Ichi had terrible reasons for voting faust D1 and overreacted so now WW is excused of being wrong about faust's alignment?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
Re: RMM23: Deus Ex Machina (D1!)
« Reply #1726 on: March 30, 2015, 11:56:58 am »

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: March 30, 2015, 11:58:25 am »

Yep, a whole day after my initial post and vote about him. Thank you.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: March 30, 2015, 12:00:04 pm »

He may have fooled almost everyone else, but I've had a scumread on him since D1. 

The point is this.

1) You don't know Faust is scum.
2) If Faust is scum and you're town, and you're going to be all high and mighty about this at the end of the game, I'm going to be pissed off, because your "scum read" on Faust was 100% him putting one vote on you, no matter what you say.  It's like making a bad play in poker and ending up winning the pot from luck.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: March 30, 2015, 12:02:07 pm »

Yep, a whole day after Faust saying about two things about me and doing nothing even remotely close to tunneling.  Thank you.

Fixed that for you.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: March 30, 2015, 12:03:22 pm »

2) If Faust is scum and you're town, and you're going to be all high and mighty about this at the end of the game, I'm going to be pissed off, because your "scum read" on Faust was 100% him putting one vote on you, no matter what you say.  It's like making a bad play in poker and ending up winning the pot from luck.
Dude. Do I really get high and mighty? I think I can tell people's general opinion of me and know where I stand in terms of skill.
I still disagree with you, and seriously, who made you the thought police in this game?

It is not as simple as faust voting me--no matter how much you want to make it seem that way. 100% really? You already admitted that his vote didn't really seem to follow from his analysis, and some other suspect behavior he had--so wouldn't that put it below 100%.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: March 30, 2015, 12:05:32 pm »

So what is this? Town!WW preemtively protecting his ego because I--such a lowly player who doesn't think about his votes at all, and operates as some sort of fucking OMGUS automaton--was right about faust and you weren't?

Or scum!WW spamming the thread and defending his partner?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: March 30, 2015, 12:07:22 pm »

So what is this? Town!WW preemtively protecting his ego because I--such a lowly player who doesn't think about his votes at all, and operates as some sort of fucking OMGUS automaton--was right about faust and you weren't?

Or scum!WW spamming the thread and defending his partner?

How do you know you're right about Faust?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: March 30, 2015, 12:08:49 pm »

Look, this was your response to Faust voting for you:

faust. I feel like you're being purposefully dishonest in voting me and your analysis of my role.

You already seemingly acknowledged that you understood that the # of players I pick after my original target is determined the same was as SS--yet you omit that from your analysis post. I never used the word Doctor to describe my role--yet you act as if I did. My role protects my target from all attacks if one of the other people I choose gets lynched. You rate numerous, numerous other people as having roles with higher scum utility and lower town utility. I just don't get it.

I don't really buy that you aren't paying attention. I think you're doing this on purpose and it makes me want to vote: faust. I can make my lynch choices public the following day so it can be guaranteed that my target gets protected during the night--assuming that at least one of my choices is likable to most people. So it is not that difficult to ensure that my role doesn't "backfire".

I don't like how e gives you town credit for claiming last and pretending that you had a reason for it when your supposed role does not warrant that at all. You know you don't have any good reason to vote me--and it seems you purposefully refrained from stating any, so I can only conclude that you're either scum or doing this to get a reaction out of me (maybe both).

This looks to me like:

Fluff
OMGUS Vote
Fluff

The interesting question there that you failed to ask was how town utility/scum utility factored into his reads.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: March 30, 2015, 12:09:25 pm »

I'm willing to stake a lot on it. I was obviously never a contender for the championship (and don't have the time for it either tbh), so can't stake anything like that.
I feel more confidently that faust is scum than any read I've had in a long while. Call it intuition.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: March 30, 2015, 12:11:52 pm »

The interesting question there that you failed to ask was how town utility/scum utility factored into his reads.
Isn't that kind of obvious? Just his opinion? I mean, does he have a spreadsheet with every mafia role ever--including some that are likely unique to this game--already setup with point values assigned to everything? Is there some sort of equation used to calculate the strength of a single PR for each alignment? (the last question is honest btw, I don't know a ton about setup theory, so maybe there is a mathematical basis for his point values).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: March 30, 2015, 12:15:06 pm »

The thought was: so many roles have limited/dual utility.  Is scum going to lie about their scum utility, or admit everything fully?

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: March 30, 2015, 12:17:06 pm »

The thought was: so many roles have limited/dual utility.  Is scum going to lie about their scum utility, or admit everything fully?
Wouldn't they lie about their scum utility? A lot of people kept stuff hidden about their roles which they revealed much later--which I think is scummy.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: March 30, 2015, 12:19:02 pm »

And man, I'd be interested to hear what you actually think of me.

Do you really see me as some arrogant asshole who votes randomly or based only on some crude heuristic and then tries to make a grab for credit after the game is over?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: March 30, 2015, 12:20:06 pm »

Well the "I was right about him all along" thing irks me, because I strongly disagree with your treatment of him Day 1 even if you are town and he is scum.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: March 30, 2015, 12:21:11 pm »

Well the "I was right about him all along" thing irks me, because I strongly disagree with your treatment of him Day 1 even if you are town and he is scum.
So you aren't denying you see me that way then.

Sure, it's fine to disagree with that. My read on him grew stronger over time while everyone treated him like obv!town.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: March 30, 2015, 12:23:17 pm »

So:

I can make my lynch choices public the following day so it can be guaranteed that my target gets protected during the night--assuming that at least one of my choices is likable to most people. So it is not that difficult to ensure that my role doesn't "backfire".

I don't remember if you answered this, but why didn't you make Joseph one of your choices last night?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: March 30, 2015, 12:23:56 pm »

So you aren't denying you see me that way then.

Sure, it's fine to disagree with that. My read on him grew stronger over time while everyone treated him like obv!town.

Well no, I don't see you as an arrogant asshole, but I do think you do the OMGUS thing way too much.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: March 30, 2015, 12:24:58 pm »

And I'm not saying that I'm a better player than you are.

I'm wrong a lot; just look at your last scum game~

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: March 30, 2015, 12:25:04 pm »

Ichi: Why not pick Joseph as lynch candidate?
From how people were talking, I didn't think there was a good chance of him getting lynched today.
And man, people seemed to hate all the choices I ended up picking as well--which is unfortunate.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: March 30, 2015, 12:29:41 pm »

Well no, I don't see you as an arrogant asshole, but I do think you do the OMGUS thing way too much.
Ok. I can see that as a strategy, it seems to not be working so well anymore. I'll likely be giving it up at least temporarliy--though I'm sure people will find me scummy for not OMGUSing them then.

And I'm not saying that I'm a better player than you are.

I'm wrong a lot; just look at your last scum game~
Yeah, I don't really like the whole "who is better and worse" thing which is why I don't like the whole ash and faust duking it out in this game for a chance at the championship. Especially, one game isn't really a good measure either.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: March 30, 2015, 12:40:11 pm »

Ash, why is this you vs. Faust? 

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: March 30, 2015, 12:55:36 pm »

I think I'm mostly with IG on this particular argument - but I do not believe faust is scum. In fact, I have rarely had such a strong townread on someone.

Much less sure about ash.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: March 30, 2015, 04:05:59 pm »

Okay, I finally have time to break things down. Sorry for taking so long - I had internet access issues.

So, first things first - I targeted e tonight, and e was targeted by the role "Limited Poisoner". (and no other role)

This pretty much means ashersky's result cannot be true. I'll guide you through the thought process in my head. Assume for a moment that ashersky isn't lying scum. That means someone must have messed with results, or Joseph lies.

1) Messed up results.

First case to consider is nobody lied about their role. Then the only manipulative role is e. True enough, had e targeted Joseph, then ash would have been redirected to him, yielding "manipulative" as a result. Only this cannot be true because chairs successfully targeted Joseph, and had e targeted Joseph, then chairs would have been redirected as well. Okay, so discard this scenario.

Other option is someone lied about their role. Who could it have been?
Ichi - possible, yet unlikely. He would have needed to make up a role that has great similarities to the one silver claimed.
WW - possible, though dangerous as his claimed role is confirmable.
silver - not possible; his role was confirmed by Awaclus
chairs - not possible; confirmed role
Awaclus - not possible, confirmed by me.
e - theoretically possible.

The question then is, what kind of role would give ash the result he got? It can't be a Bus-Driver-like thing because then chairs would have been Bus Driven too. So it would need to be a role that targeted ash, and made him target this role. Well, that sounds an awful lot like e's role; I doubt there would be two roles this similar. Overall, many circumstances need to come together to make this possible. Occam's Razor says this is not what happened.

2) Joseph lied

So Joseph lied, huh? That runs in the great problem that I confirmed his role name, and I find it hard to believe there would be a role called "Limited Poisoner" that is mainpulative. So, not a possibility.

Okay, now, this means that ash lies. Is there a reason for him to do so?

I mean, it seems weird. The best this can result in is a one-one trade, usually not what scum wants, right? But - and here's a big but - if getting Joseph lynched is the winning move, it may be worth it. So let's run this through. There are nine players left alive, three of which are scum. Lynching Joseph has 8 players remaining. Chairs is primed to die, as is (potentially, if he didn't/doesn't get scum to target him) e. Two people are attacked. If we lynch Joseph, then by Ichi's role, someone else only needs to be attacked once to die.

So if chairs and e are not scum, then things look pretty good for scum here. Now of course ash cannot know whether they are scum or not, but if he's in the remaining 2-player team, then he might think it worth the risk. One mislynch can be the win here. We are at MyLo. This really is the scenario that makes by far the most sense, to me at least.

Now, as a final remark, look at ash's behaviour since the claim. He's not stupid, he knows I'm going to counter him, because I said I would target e. So he does his best to discredit me before I get the chance to post:

Faust is scummily tied to Joseph, anyway, which I guess he would do if they are partners.

I definitely see Faust as most likely partner, but at least I know (am super confident) he didn't lie about his role.  Rolecop is often a scum power, of course....

Vote: ashersky I have things to say, soon.

Ah, the desperation of a partner, so very afraid of losing his only hope.

This is like some new type of projected OMGUS.

And finally, of course, this:

Actually, no.  You know what?  Fuck this.

vote: faust

Let's make this what you want it to be, a showdown between us.  You've been hounding me since yesterday, using passive-aggressive crap and all to try to run this.  I'm only still playing because a arch couldn't find a replacement.  But that's what you wanted, right?

So let's do it.  Let everyone choose who they trust.  Both our names have come up as possible reps for f.ds at the Mafia Championships.  Here it is, then.  Loser refuses to be put forward as a candidate.  Let's see who really deserves it.

I am confident that my result validates my strong read on Joseph and his crazy backpedal on his claim on D2 with his convenient targeting.  Your crazy defense of him throughout this whole thing ties you to him so strongly, it's partnership.  You lost Hydrad, knew you were in bad shape, have to keep your partner around. 

So, here it is.  You and Joseph vs. me.  Everyone, pick a side!  Whose instincts do you trust? 

If you lynch me, fine.  I'll know I'm past my prime as a player and I don't deserve to be considered as f.ds's rep.  But as of right now, I definitely believe in myself, and I think you should, too.

The gauntlet is thrown, just like you wanted, faust.  Let the one the community thinks is the best man win.

before he even hears my results. It's plain insanity.

This is my case. I'm convinced ash is scum. He's made a full turnaround on me when it was convenient (stating earlier that I was "basically an IC", of which at least some should have remained to make him doubt.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: March 30, 2015, 04:18:35 pm »

So, another thought as far as Joseph's fake claim...

So, per his current version of his role, he can poison players, but if they are attacked by scum before dying, the poison is negated.  And then, he claimed his targets in thread, so scum can negate the poison if they want, just by attacking.

So, if that was a true role, and Joseph knows this, why would he agree to claim his targets in thread?  He's given scum all the knowledge and power -- if he targeted town (probable) scum just thanks him for the extra kills.  If he targeted scum, scum just attacks scum and they don't die.

There was no town reason for him to do what we did, if he really had that town role.  He didn't even try to argue against the claim call. 

So many crazy scum things.

And, just as an icing on the cake, this is plain misleading. Scum cannot attack scum because they may not attack their own partners and don't know whether the rest is scum. Also, if that's really what you think, why not bring it up BEFORE Joseph claims anything?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 92  All

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 14 queries.