Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 86: Quests  (Read 528 times)

Tiago

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tserridge
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 86: Quests
« on: March 29, 2024, 05:37:42 pm »
+2

Hi everyone,

Quests are a new type of landscape. They have a list of steps on them. Each player has a Quest cube (like a Project cube). When you do the first step, you move your cube to the next one, then when you do the second one, you move your cube to the third, etc. There should probably be a mat/card for the cubes so they aren't blocking the text.

When you complete all the steps, you get a bonus.

They're sort of, multi-step projects with alternate costs? One difference is that they don't actually allow you to do the things they say, for example, if step one was "trash a card" that wouldn't allow you to trash a card; when you do, though, you move your cube.

Here are some examples:

The part below the dividing line is the bonus you get when you complete it. Also: I am not saying these are good cards, they are just quickly-made examples to show you how Quests work.

Please only submit one Quest. Also, please create a mockup of your card. Art isn't required, but it's much easier for me to tell what your card does if I see the text on a card.

RGB: 1.3, 1.2, 0

Entries will be judged on:
- how excited I am to play with it
- simplicity - I like interesting/new ideas, but I should be able to remember what it does after reading it once
- relevance - I think this mechanic has a big potential to be ignored or forgotten. Try to make a card that people will pay attention to.
- balance

Contest closes at the end of next Friday, Pacific time. What time is that on Forum time? I will try to judge over next weekend. If possible, I'll playtest them.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 86: Quests
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 10:19:36 pm »
+2

The trashing should be optional but I was too lazy to go back and edit the mockup.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 10:20:26 pm »

BTW I feel like both quests you've listed as examples will too-frequently be impossible.

Tiago

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 10:25:19 pm »

BTW I feel like both quests you've listed as examples will too-frequently be impossible.

I agree, that's why I said
I am not saying these are good cards, they are just quickly-made examples to show you how Quests work.

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +251
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 11:12:11 pm »
+2

Abdication - Quest
1) Gain a Province.
2) End your Buy phase without gaining a card.
-
At the start of Clean-up, trash a card you would discard from play this turn and gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.
Edit: thanks J410 for the wording fix
Tired of wars and politics? Ready for a new phase of life? Now that you've got a pretty Province all your own, why not retire and enjoy it?
Mandatory remodeling, now that you're officially done and ready to go totally green.

I wanted to make sure my Quest was possible to achieve in any set, but also not triggered accidentally. I know Province is already a goal to get in most games...but it's thematic and makes it more difficult to finish the quest before at least the mid to late game
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 12:51:09 am by czzzz »

bigpotato

• Swindler
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 04:39:16 pm »
+5

Green Thumb - Quest
1. Gain an Estate
2. Gain a Duchy
3. Gain a Province
-
At the start of your turn, you may return a Victory card from your hand to its pile to gain to your hand a card costing as much as it or less

Tend your land long enough and it might start growing into something useful.

I do not know why all the text is bold.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2024, 06:31:43 am »
+2

Catch the Thief
Quest
(1) Discard or Trash a non-Copper Treasure (you may reveal it)
(2) Another player gains a non-Copper Treasure
________
When another player gains a Treasure, you may exchange a card from your hand for a copy of it, putting it in your hand.

Rules clarifications:
* You don't have to discard the Treasure with an effect that reveals the card to activate (1) - the reveal is for tracking
* You can activate (1) when discarding your hand during Clean-up
* You can immediately activate the reward from the gain that triggers (2)
* Exchanging isn't gaining (this is to avoid infinite loops)

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +422
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2024, 12:08:10 pm »
+2

Penalty (Quest)
1. Trash a Copper
2. Gain a second Province during your turn.
-
At the start of your turns, discard down to 3 cards in your hand.

Tiago

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2024, 07:13:26 pm »

Catch the Thief
Quest
________
When another player gains a Treasure, you may exchange a card from your hand for a copy of it, putting it in your hand.

Rules clarifications:
* You don't have to discard the Treasure with an effect that reveals the card to activate (1) - the reveal is for tracking
* You can activate (1) when discarding your hand during Clean-up
* You can immediately activate the reward from the gain that triggers (2)
* Exchanging isn't gaining (this is to avoid infinite loops)

Mockup please.

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 10:03:44 pm »
+3

:)
Spartan • Quest
1. Gain a Silver
2. Gain a Ducky
-
At the start of Clean-up, you may trash a card you would discard from play this turn, to gain a Treasure costing up to $3 more.
This can be used in any Kingdom for it does not depend upon having other functions not readily present in every game.

previous:
Spartan • Quest
1. Gain a Silver
2. Gain a Ducky
-
At Clean-up, trash a card you would discard for a Treasure costing up to $3 more.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 09:14:00 am by BryGuy »

J410

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 05:46:20 am »
+1

At Clean-up, trash a card you would discard for a Treasure costing up to $3 more.
This is not defined in Dominion terms. If it's supposed to gain a card, use the word 'gain'.
Does it count discarding both from hand and from play? Also, it should be at the start of Clean-up to prevent issues with moving cards at unexpected times (see wording of Improve) (same for Abdication from czzzz).
A possible correct wording would be:
At the start of Clean-up, trash a card from your hand or a card you would discard from play this turn to gain a Treasure costing up to $3 more.

Tiago

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2024, 08:44:53 pm »
+1

31 hour warning

I don't know if I'll have time to post this later, so here's an early 24-hour warning.

grumpo

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2024, 10:52:39 pm »
+2

A Hero Awakens - Quest
1. Gain the lowest cost Action in the Supply.
2. Gain the highest cost Action in the Supply.
3. End a turn with three copies of the lowest cost Action in your Discard.
-
When you complete this quest, take a Heroic Artifact.

My goal with this was to create a Quest that felt "quest-y" in theme and that was only mildly inconvenient to complete. Clarifications/intentions:
  • Not sure if you need step 1 when step 3 necessitates step 1 having happened, but the sequence felt meaningful.
  • The purpose of step 3 is to ensure that you haven't trashed the cheap cards, making it more inconveniencing to complete the Quest.
  • If Actions are tied for lowest and highest cost, then either counts. I'm not sure if I want it to require you to have 3 copies of the SAME card for step 3, though.
  • "Heroic Artifacts" are a special group of Artifacts that I'm going to show examples of below. My gut says that there should be a stipulation somewhere that you can't gain a Heroic Artifact someone else has already quested for (that feels like a "political" interaction and also would punish people who finish the Quest first). So, not sure how to word that but assume that that is the case when looking at these examples. In a finalized version there would be at least 6, so that every player could complete the Quest and gain a unique Heroic Artifact.

Heroic Blade - Artifact

Once per turn, when you play an Action, you may move your +1 Action token. If you do, each other player discards down to 4 cards in hand.

Heroic Bow - Artifact

Once per turn, when you play an Action, you may move your +1 Card token. If you do, trash a card from your hand costing $3 or more. Each other player gains a Curse.

Heroic Lute - Artifact

Once per turn, when you play an Action, you may move your +1 Buy token. If you do, reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Put the Actions back on top in any order and discard the rest.

I figured this sort of Quest was a good chance to show some love to the Adventures tokens, but I'm sure the balancing needs lots of testing.

itIsSometimesMonday

• Pawn
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2024, 11:34:37 am »
+1

Green Thumb - Quest
1. Gain an Estate
2. Gain a Duchy
3. Gain a Province
-
At the start of your turn, you may return a Victory card from your hand to its pile to gain to your hand a card costing as much as it or less

Tend your land long enough and it might start growing into something useful.

I do not know why all the text is bold.

Are you using Safari? I makes things bold on the generator.
哎呀,我不说中文啊!

itIsSometimesMonday

• Pawn
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2024, 06:21:32 pm »
+2

哎呀,我不说中文啊!

Tiago

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2024, 09:45:43 am »
+1

Contest closed.

Sorry I'm a few hours late. I should not have made the deadline in the middle of my night.

Tiago

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2024, 12:49:27 am »
+4

Judging

This is my first time judging; I'm sorry if I miss your submission or say something completely wrong. I'm also sorry that the first ones got more feedback than the later ones. I ran out of time and wanted to finish today.

The trashing is optional.

The problem with this is relevance. In a game with abundant trashing and +Buy, this will be almost useless; by the time you're getting Golds you have all the trashing and +Buy you need. In a game without trashing or +Buy, this will help, but by the time you've finished (and remember, in a game without +Buy, gaining a Copper will mostly mean skipping a turn) and have enough Golds for it to make a difference, the game's probably almost over, and it won't do much.

When I playtested this, only 1 player gained a gold, and no one reached the second step. This feels interesting but it never does anything (similar to Annex).

Abdication - Quest
1) Gain a Province.
2) End your Buy phase without gaining a card [in it?].
-
At the start of Clean-up, trash a card you would discard from play this turn and gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.

I took this to mean that you had to not gain a card in your Buy phase, but you could gain one in your Action phase. The wording's a bit unclear.

My main issue with this is that it makes the game a race for the first Province, and could make whoever gets $8 first have a big advantage (similar to Tournament), and also, quote from somewhere, "earlier Provinces = less building, and less building = less fun." The other problem is that it makes Gold amazing, and enables Big Money vey well.

That said, this is interesting. It speeds up the game significantly, and will probably enable rushes (although gaining a Province will be hard for a rush). I like the discard-from-play to distinguish it from other Remodels.

Green Thumb - Quest
1. Gain an Estate
2. Gain a Duchy
3. Gain a Province
-

Buying an Estate and Duchy before a Province is quite the penalty. If we ignore the bonus, this would only happen very late in the game, with only one or two turns left. By then, you won't be exchanging any Victory cards; you need the points. Of course, if you want the bonus, then you could do this earlier.

How good is the bonus? Without the starting Estates, those Victory cards you got to enable the quest are just going to turn into cards costing as much as them, so a Duchy would turn into a $5 cost. The problem is, why didn't you buy the $5 cost when you bought the Duchy? So there it does almost nothing. If you bought a Victory card other than to meet the requirements, you bought it for the points. Anything you could exchange it for you could have bought instead.

So the bonus really only does two things: it lets you deal with the Victory cards you got to trigger it, and it lets you pseudotrash your starting Estates. The Estate "trashing" isn't great either. You could turn them into Coppers, I guess, or if there's a good $2 you want a lot of, but that's relatively rare. This to me feels like it'll never be worth it.

Catch the Thief
Quest
________

By your second rule clarification, I'm assuming discarding a non-Copper Treasure from play doesn't work. The first one isn't much fun if you have to discard from your hand to do it. You're usually losing $2. If you can discard from play, it happens almost automatically. The second one is a problem. By then, no one wants to get that Treasure, because you don't want to let your opponents exchange an Estate for a Silver.

Penalty (Quest)
1. Trash a Copper
2. Gain a second Province during your turn.
-
At the start of your turns, discard down to 3 cards in your hand.

First, the steps seem a bit unrelated to each other. Mostly though, on a lot of boards you can't do both, which makes this do nothing. And even if it does something, are you sure you want this to work? It punishes engine-building, which is (part of) the fun part of Dominion. It's also true that the penalty doesn't do much. In Big Money you won't trigger this, and in an engine discarding down to 3 is not a big problem.

Spartan • Quest
1. Gain a Silver
2. Gain a Ducky
-
At the start of Clean-up, you may trash a card you would discard from play this turn, to gain a Treasure costing up to $3 more.

This is reasonable. Gaining a Duchy feels like a worthwhile price to pay for a permanent Mine. It works; it doesn't have many problems. I tried it with Big Money and it took 13 turns to get 4 Provinces. That's good, but not too good. I don't have much to say about this. The requirements work surprisingly well with the bonus.

Okay, wow. This is a lot. I'm not sure I allowed Artifacts and tokens, but I didn't disallow them either, so it's fine.

Requirements: fine, the first two will probably happen naturally, the third isn't hard. A lot of $2s and $3s are spammable.

Artifacts: I think these are too complicated. The attacks don't make much of a difference and are unrelated to the tokens. I'm not sure the artifacts are actually necessary. You mostly never move your token more than once, and simply saying, "When you complete this, move your +1 ... to an Action Supply pile" would work better. I'm also concerned that if Player 1 completes it, takes an artifact, then Player 2 takes the artifact on their turn, P1 never got a chance to add their token, and P2 now has a giant advantage.

Quests are a great way to move Adventures tokens though. It's perfect. They can be as hard to get as you'd like, and people will still pay attention to them because they want the token.

I doubt people will even remember this. By the time you've gotten a Province, Gold (or whatever else) and a cheap card, one $5 card won't make much of a difference. Something like, "at the start of your turn, gain a card costing up to $5" would be much more worthwhile (though you'd probably have to make it harder to get).

Tiago

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2024, 12:51:08 am »
+3

Winner: Spartan by BryGuy
Runner-up: Abdication by czzzz

By the way, any feedback on the judging would be really helpful.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 21 queries.