Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61  All

Author Topic: MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia (Serial Killer wins!)  (Read 132240 times)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
Re: MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia (Day 5)
« Reply #1475 on: April 29, 2014, 09:04:20 pm »

Oh, another thing, which I never vocalized, which I thought pointed away from Axxle being SK... I had suspected Voltaire's "LOL, I should have claimed 1-shot BP" thing was a play, and he really WAS 1-shot BP. Or at least, I thought the SK had to suspect that that was going on, and would shoot sudgy instead.

Axxle is a big mafia vet who plays sometimes on this other forum, he is a very savvy player and doesn't overlook things. I thought he was most likely to pick up on this and do the same thing and not shoot Voltaire right away, whereas mcmc and Scott were more likely not to think of that.

So when the kill was Voltaire, not sudgy, Axxle got yet another "not SK" point. It seems he likes to play far riskier than I would have anticipated, however. Well, it paid off, big time.
He confirmed me using my jailkeeper shot. He wasn't lying.
*busdriver
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: April 29, 2014, 09:05:43 pm »

Also, really, go sign up for M43 now.
I want to play a regular setup :(

I think asher9++ is coming up next in the normal queue.

But really, M43 is not crazy, like RMM or anything.  It's fun, not too serious.
I want to play a serious setup :(
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: April 29, 2014, 09:07:53 pm »

Oh, another thing, which I never vocalized, which I thought pointed away from Axxle being SK... I had suspected Voltaire's "LOL, I should have claimed 1-shot BP" thing was a play, and he really WAS 1-shot BP. Or at least, I thought the SK had to suspect that that was going on, and would shoot sudgy instead.

Axxle is a big mafia vet who plays sometimes on this other forum, he is a very savvy player and doesn't overlook things. I thought he was most likely to pick up on this and do the same thing and not shoot Voltaire right away, whereas mcmc and Scott were more likely not to think of that.

So when the kill was Voltaire, not sudgy, Axxle got yet another "not SK" point. It seems he likes to play far riskier than I would have anticipated, however. Well, it paid off, big time.
He confirmed me using my jailkeeper shot. He wasn't lying.

Yeah, I had forgotten about that until the very end of the game when it got brought up again.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: April 29, 2014, 09:12:58 pm »

I'm sad I didn't get to play out my uber-gambit.

I, too, wish this could have happened for longer.
It would have been beautiful, sorry ash.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: April 29, 2014, 09:15:16 pm »

I'm sad I didn't get to play out my uber-gambit.

I, too, wish this could have happened for longer.
It would have been beautiful, sorry ash.

You should have kept me around for lylo.  It could have been you, me, and Robz, and we could have lynched Robz for the shared victory.

I was so ready for the "I'm an IC now right Robzlol" statement the following day.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: April 29, 2014, 09:15:59 pm »

You should have kept me around for lylo.  It could have been you, me, and Robz, and we could have lynched Robz for the shared victory.

I was so ready for the "I'm an IC now right Robzlol" statement the following day.

Yeah yeah, get in line behind everyone else who wants to lynch me.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: April 29, 2014, 09:16:17 pm »

Good game to Axxle.... Killing me ended up being a pretty smart move.

I allowed myself to get talked into suspecting mcmc and probably would have voted mcmc as well if I were still alive, but like I said was very wary of Axxle playing the perfect game. I never thought he would try for a SK conversion slot. Although mcmc's points (as well as his talk about what number he picked--that might need to be addressed before this game is run again as it has the potential to semi-break the setup) that he brought up had me kinda 50/50. I think those should have been more fully analyzed before the hammer.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: April 29, 2014, 09:17:03 pm »

I was obviously very wrong about you, sorry Robz.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: April 29, 2014, 09:18:16 pm »

The scumteam of ADK, XP, and ashersky was interesting.  Diverse playstyles, unfortunately a bit too much lurking and too easily suspected.

Thanks to XP for wanting to try my gambit.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: April 29, 2014, 09:24:40 pm »

Good game to Axxle.... Killing me ended up being a pretty smart move.

I allowed myself to get talked into suspecting mcmc and probably would have voted mcmc as well if I were still alive, but like I said was very wary of Axxle playing the perfect game. I never thought he would try for a SK conversion slot. Although mcmc's points (as well as his talk about what number he picked--that might need to be addressed before this game is run again as it has the potential to semi-break the setup) that he brought up had me kinda 50/50. I think those should have been more fully analyzed before the hammer.

The conversion argument wasn't motivating me in any one direction or another, by the end of the game, since it seemed like I was the only person thinking that way. I do think it's the move most likely to result in a victory for the person who rolls SK, particularly with first draft position.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: April 29, 2014, 09:25:37 pm »

Two spots left in Innovation II.  One if ashersky is hammering.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: April 29, 2014, 09:26:17 pm »

Something that I think should be pointed out is that lynchproof is really, really bad for town.  Like, we might have won if mail-mi had just been a VT (not trying to put the blame on him, since Axxle played a fantastic game anyway and in the end it was still me and Robz who mislynched).  If town lynches you, the worst thing you can do is require them to spend the next day lynching you again, just to find out you are town; it basically just gives scum a free NK.  In other words, it lets scum pick who to kill instead of town (though I guess it also gives town an extra round of night actions too).  If town wants to lynch you, it's because they want to find out your alignment, and they're going to do it regardless; making it take an extra day only hurts town.  So I think town should never ever take lynchproof, and if someone does turn out to be lynchproof (by choice), everyone should assume that person is scum.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: April 29, 2014, 09:28:24 pm »

Oh, I see the game hasn't officially been called.  Back in a moment with the final mod post.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: April 29, 2014, 09:36:11 pm »

Something that I think should be pointed out is that lynchproof is really, really bad for town.  Like, we might have won if mail-mi had just been a VT (not trying to put the blame on him, since Axxle played a fantastic game anyway and in the end it was still me and Robz who mislynched).  If town lynches you, the worst thing you can do is require them to spend the next day lynching you again, just to find out you are town; it basically just gives scum a free NK.  In other words, it lets scum pick who to kill instead of town (though I guess it also gives town an extra round of night actions too).  If town wants to lynch you, it's because they want to find out your alignment, and they're going to do it regardless; making it take an extra day only hurts town.  So I think town should never ever take lynchproof, and if someone does turn out to be lynchproof (by choice), everyone should assume that person is scum.

sheepish grin....
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: April 29, 2014, 09:40:21 pm »

"This is our last chance!", exclaimed Plato. "We need to find this person who tries to put an end to our ancient profession now, or all the thousands of years of seeking the truth will be lost."

"What about this woman, Butler?", asked Zizek. "She's quite the feminist, isn't she? And all victims of this slaughter have been male."

"It's not my fault that I was the only woman invited to this conference", complained Butler.

"You are right", agreed Hegel. "It must be the woman."

And so their final choice was made. Plato held up his gun, pointed it at Butler and fired the last remaining bullet. It hit Butler right in the heart. For a moment she stumbled, coughing, the she fell.

Final Day 5 Vote Count

mcmcsalot (1): Robz888, Axxle, scott_pilgrim

Not Voting (1): mcmcsalot

With 4 alive, it took 3 to lynch

mcmcsalot has been lynched. He was Judith Butler, the Vanilla Townie.

"It's like I thought", said Zizek, a trace of triumph in his voice. "Not only are you weak, you are also stupid."

"What...", began Plato. Then he realized. Quietly, he spoke: "You are not truly Zizek, are you? You are our Nemesis. You are Friedrich Nietzsche."

"Took you long enough to realize", said Nietzsche with a smirk. "Now how do you want to die? Do you want to follow your teacher, and drink from a cup of hemlock? I'll grant you that honor."

"Honor? You talk of honor? You have no honor in you, nor morality!", exclaimed Hegel.

"You still don't understand, do you? There is no honor. There is no morality. There is only power, those who are strong enough to seek that power, and those who are not. You are weak creatures, blocking the way for the arrival of the Übermensch. But no longer. Finally, my philosophy has prevailed!"

Robz888 has been endgamed. He was Plato, the Town-aligned Night 3 Vigilante.

scott_pilgrim has been endgamed. He was Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, the Vanilla Townie.

Axxle, who is Friedrich Nietzsche, the 1-shot Bulletproof Serial Killer/Bus Driver, WINS THE GAME!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:27:59 am by faust »

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: April 29, 2014, 09:43:05 pm »

I have long awaited the Übermensch, only to find that I am he.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: April 29, 2014, 09:50:45 pm »

Complete agreement.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: April 29, 2014, 09:57:09 pm »

Good game everybody. I was pretty sure there at the end it was not mcmc, but had I been alive, I certainly wouldn't have voted Axxle. I might have pushed Robz even harder.

Here is the biggest lesson as far as I'm concerned, though it's easy enough for scum to game: If something feels too easy, it probably is.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: April 29, 2014, 10:01:23 pm »

Hey, I actually had pretty good reads this game, outside of day1, and even there I wasn't way off, just never found ADKs lurking sufficiently scummy.  That's always a nice thing to have happen, even if I lose...and even if some of those reads are based on outside information.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: April 29, 2014, 10:25:38 pm »

Two spots left in Innovation II.  One if ashersky is hammering.

I might.  You haven't even signed up for Monsters U, which takes a huge piece of your original game.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: April 29, 2014, 11:22:43 pm »

Hurray it's over, I wish Scott had just hammered me, realizing it was axxle gave me hope of winning again which stunk because I knew it wouldn't happen. So let me reiterate I would have killed robz hands down as sk, you just lynch me everytime.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: April 29, 2014, 11:25:03 pm »

Hurray it's over, I wish Scott had just hammered me, realizing it was axxle gave me hope of winning again which stunk because I knew it wouldn't happen. So let me reiterate I would have killed robz hands down as sk, you just lynch me everytime.

Reasonably enough, usually it is based on things that aren't really concrete so it's not like omg your dumb it's more of I believe our rl relationship prevents you from fully being open to what I have to say, again not in a negative way just like the ability to visualize me and my thought process from either alignment makes my arguments less effective on you.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: April 29, 2014, 11:35:16 pm »

Other lesson is be careful about clearing people!
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: April 30, 2014, 12:13:32 am »

That's one of the biggest reasons why I kept him alive :)

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
Re: MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia (Serial Killer wins!)
« Reply #1499 on: April 30, 2014, 04:35:14 am »

Congrats Axxle !

I find it very funny that this game ended up being a remake of Adventure Time with Axxle winning this time.

Robz, I don't think anyone is arguing against conversion from a stric win% standpoint, but I would much prefer get a unique experience and get to be SK. I was actually wondering why the conversion roles even existed when first looking at the setup, so there you go.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 16 queries.