Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 61  All

Author Topic: MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia (Serial Killer wins!)  (Read 132232 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia (Signups open!)
« Reply #375 on: April 03, 2014, 03:25:13 am »

Fun fact: in this game, flavor names will be distributed with respect to the players' metas!
Did we discuss this?

Nope.

I don't know philosophy well enough to figure it out.  Could we catch liars this way?
Maybe.

I also noticed Descartes, rawis, Zeno should all be ICs because of the day 1 flavor. Who claimed those?

Makes sense, but seems too easy.  Like, doesn't that just let us POE scum too much?  Do those flavor names match player metas?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia (N0)
« Reply #376 on: April 03, 2014, 03:27:05 am »

Endless discussions, a bazillion of argument and counter-arguments, heated exchanges – but still no conclusion. What is reality – is it grounded solely in matter, or does it only exist in our minds? Since the beginning of philosophy, two schools of thought stand opposing: The Idealists, who claim that the reality we can know of is only mental, and the Naturalists, in whose opinion all that is real is simply a result of physical interactions.

Finally, this conflict should be brought to an end. The greatest minds of all time were invited to a conference in the ivory tower, where they planned to lock themselves in until an agreement was found.

The conference started out badly. Every single attendant already held a firm conviction in this matter, and barely anyone was willing to concede the tiniest bit to the other faction.

As the discussion was at its worst point, John Rawls stepped forward. "This is leading nowhere!", he yelled. "We need another method to solve this problem. Luckily, I have already developed one. In my book 'A Theory of Justice'..."

At this point Friedrich Nietzsche cut him off sharply. He rose from his chair and exclaimed: "Justice! What is justice but an empty word, brought to us by lower, weaker humans that seek to prevent the arrival of the Übermensch!"

"For Christ's sake, Nietzsche, just let the man finish!", answered René Descartes. "Christ is dead", murmured Nietzsche as he unwillingly returned to his seat.

"Well, where was I?", continued Rawls. "Ah yes, my method. See, I brought with me this 'veil of ignorance'. We are all far too concerned with our personal animosities against each other. If we all hide behind this veil, we will not know each other's identities. That way, we are able to continue our discussion on a more objective basis."

Soon everyone agreed that this was the way they should proceed, and it was determined that, come the next Day, all would hide behind the veil and thus be unknown to each other.

In the night however, three supporters of the Naturalist concept, Thomas Hobbes, David Hume and Karl Marx, met secretly in the hallway. "I fear that with this plan proposed by Rawls, our views will fail to reach consensus", said Hobbes. "Too many here are ignorant towards the way the world really works."

"What we need is nothing less than a revolution", agreed Marx. "If we just erase the other's material existence, we'll see what is left of their claimed 'mental reality'. Listen, I have found a way for us to escape this veil of ignorance..."

At the start of the next day, as the attendees of the conference, shrouded in the veil of ignorance, got out of their chambers, they found John Rawls lying on the conference table, stabbed in the back with a black dagger. Everyone looked around, but the veil prevented them from knowing each other's true identity.

"It appears that our famed justice theorist became a victim of his own idea", remarked Zeno of Citium stoically. "I guess we better look for those who committed this crime."

If this is color coded, we have three ICs, three mafia, and one SK.  Does the mod just put the setup in the flavor like that?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
Re: MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia (D1 starts!)
« Reply #377 on: April 03, 2014, 03:28:12 am »

Dunno haven't played a Faust game before
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 03, 2014, 03:28:40 am »

From my perspective, and all other townies, if that's true, I'm looking for a total of 4 bad guys in 11 instead of 14.  Much better odds.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 03, 2014, 03:29:36 am »

Let's ask.

Are the three green names Mod-confirmed town?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 03, 2014, 03:30:05 am »

Pick Your Power doesn't have ICs, of course.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 03, 2014, 05:07:51 am »

Let's ask.

This is how it I set the game up: I chose 15 "good" philosophers. Everyone got assigned one of them. Then I randomly distributed scum roles. Everyone with a scum role would get the "good" philosopher assigned to them as fakeclaim. Flavor was written prior to these assignments.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 03, 2014, 05:12:34 am »

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do."
- Voltaire

Vote Count 1.7

Teproc (1): XerxesPraelor
XerxesPraelor (1): sudgy
yuma (1): Voltaire
jotheonah (3): mail-mi, Robz888, theorel
A Drowned Kernel (3): mcmcsalot, Teproc, AndrewisFTTW
Voltaire (2): yuma, A Drowned Kernel

Not voting (4): ashersky, jothenoah, scott_pilgrim, Axxle

With 15 alive, it takes 8 to lynch

Day 1 ends at 10:00 a.m. on April 8, 2014

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 03, 2014, 05:21:06 am »

Can someone explain the cases on nothing, ADK, and Voltaire? I've been paying more attention to the other game I'm in, and want to figure out who to vote for.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 03, 2014, 05:22:36 am »

Let's ask.

This is how it I set the game up: I chose 15 "good" philosophers. Everyone got assigned one of them. Then I randomly distributed scum roles. Everyone with a scum role would get the "good" philosopher assigned to them as fakeclaim. Flavor was written prior to these assignments.

Gotcha.

Sorry Axxle, IC theory shot down.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 03, 2014, 05:57:24 am »

Request a prod on jotheonah

I really don't like the "lynch a lurker" thing. The problem is it gives everyone on the wagon an excuse in the lurker flips town and thus robs us of the info we would normally get from the flip. I think lynching active people can actually be very good, because it gives us info, and nature hates emptiness : ie when you lynch the most active people, other will become more active.

And I'm not too worried about this game being a bit slow anyway, I think a lot of that is RMM13.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 03, 2014, 07:58:09 am »

I really don't like the "lynch a lurker" thing. The problem is it gives everyone on the wagon an excuse in the lurker flips town and thus robs us of the info we would normally get from the flip. I think lynching active people can actually be very good, because it gives us info, and nature hates emptiness : ie when you lynch the most active people, other will become more active.

And I'm not too worried about this game being a bit slow anyway, I think a lot of that is RMM13.
In my experience, this just isn't true though.  When you lynch the most active people, you end up with a game where no one posts, and non-posting scum coast to victory.

When "Lynch all Lurkers, Literally" was a thing, it was because this kind of thing happened.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 03, 2014, 10:13:59 am »

Prod sent.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 03, 2014, 10:58:09 am »

I think peeps should go reread both voltaire and teproc. Then pick which one is scummier and vote! That is probably how to win the game!

DO IT!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 03, 2014, 11:17:55 am »

I think peeps should go reread both voltaire and teproc. Then pick which one is scummier and vote! That is probably how to win the game!

DO IT!

I like the attitude. Town points for you.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 03, 2014, 12:24:48 pm »

DO IT!

Well, this would be terrible since I'm town and I think Teproc is town.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 03, 2014, 02:51:08 pm »

I have actually just been really really unexpectedly busy all week. And the longer I wait the more there is to re-read. How about someone summarize the major happenings so far for me, I'll jump in now, and I'll re-read tonight or something when I manage to get some time?

:D
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 03, 2014, 02:53:10 pm »

you guys know I'm not a lurker. usually quite the opposite. When is the deadline/how long do I have to catch up?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 03, 2014, 03:30:44 pm »

What theorel said. When you lynch the most active people, most of the time people won't get more active if all the actives are lynched.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 03, 2014, 03:57:25 pm »

you guys know I'm not a lurker. usually quite the opposite. When is the deadline/how long do I have to catch up?

Deadline is Tuesday (April 8th), at 10am. Which gives you 5 days.

Very little has actually happened.  This has been a pretty slow game.  Maybe it'll pick up, but we're headed into a weekend.
Summary of events from my perspective:
yuma/Teproc had a fight because yuma had a SK-plan and Teproc thought it was scummy and yuma thought Teproc was basically policy-voting him.
Voltaire agreed with Teproc with some one-liners, which I found scummy (as a stoke the fire-type thing), and yuma agreed.
ADK jumped around in his votes, and some people voted for him.
Robz and I simultaneously decided to pursue lurkers, and both chose you.

Really though, this games been pretty quiet, I can't imagine it will take all that long to catch up.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 03, 2014, 04:03:02 pm »

Robz chose me? Ouch.

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 03, 2014, 04:13:10 pm »

There was a flavor claim! I'm my favorite philosopher, Soren Kierkegaard. :)

He/him

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 03, 2014, 04:21:23 pm »

Town read on Axxle for trying the IC thing.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 03, 2014, 05:19:13 pm »

This is pretty quiet for a 15-player game.  But I guess RMM13 is going strong, and has several crossover players.
I'm gonna vote: joth to see if he shows up.  Pretty sure he's the only person who actually hasn't posted.
I dig it. vote: joth

Vote: mail-mi

for taking a break from lurking just long enough to vote someone for lurking. hypocrisy bugs me.

(And don't say I'm doing the same thing -- I'm not voting him for lurking, I'm voting him for hypocrisy. AND lurking.)

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 03, 2014, 05:21:00 pm »

early townreads: yuma, theorel, and (weirldy for me) ash

early scumreads: Robz (for going after a lot of easy targets) and ADK

He/him
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 61  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 16 queries.