Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 58  All

Author Topic: MXXXIX: Adventure Time! Mafia (Town Wins on D5!)  (Read 129929 times)

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: MXXXIX: Adventure Time! Mafia (Day 2)
« Reply #600 on: March 05, 2014, 09:14:13 pm »

Yuma, you're a more level-headed town player than that and unfortunately everybody knows that.  Townyuma wouldn't let me tunneling him prevent him from lynching somebody who you had previously wanted to lynch.

Well thanks for the compliment I guess...

But doesn't this whole argument work the other way? I generally consider myself to be a better mafia player than town player for starters, but what you are describing me doing as mafia isn't level-headed and is "uncharacteristically poor" as Eevee said.

So am I only smart and good at mafia when I am town, but when I am mafia I play crappy and obviously?

I am not perfect as town (look back at the last 5 games and see for yourself) and I think it is ridiculous that anytime I mislynch someone or am not on a mafia lynch wagon I am automatically deemed super scummy (not just this game obviously, but just in general f.ds metawise... I mean it doesn't make the game fun and puts undue pressure on me to be perfect which might just explain why I have been playing so crappy lately)

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 05, 2014, 09:19:59 pm »

Yuma, you're a more level-headed town player than that and unfortunately everybody knows that.  Townyuma wouldn't let me tunneling him prevent him from lynching somebody who you had previously wanted to lynch.

But doesn't this whole argument work the other way? I generally consider myself to be a better mafia player than town player for starters, but what you are describing me doing as mafia isn't level-headed and is "uncharacteristically poor" as Eevee said.

So am I only smart and good at mafia when I am town, but when I am mafia I play crappy and obviously?

I am not perfect as town (look back at the last 5 games and see for yourself) and I think it is ridiculous that anytime I mislynch someone or am not on a mafia lynch wagon I am automatically deemed super scummy (not just this game obviously, but just in general f.ds metawise... I mean it doesn't make the game fun and puts undue pressure on me to be perfect which might just explain why I have been playing so crappy lately)

Slipping up and protecting your partner too much is a much easier mistake to make than to change your entire persona, and get too blinded by a tunnelling person.  One is a strategic error (the first, and what you did).  The second is a change in personality and rarely happens without concerted effort towards change (and this isn't the sorta style you'd want to change into).

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 05, 2014, 09:21:56 pm »

One is a strategic error (the first, and what you did).  The second is a change in personality and rarely happens without concerted effort towards change (and this isn't the sorta style you'd want to change into).

Only if I am mafia is it a strategic error. Otherwise it is an emotional error, which I am perfectly capable of having especially when I am questioning my playing personality as it is obviously completely and totally ineffective at finding scum and winning this bloody game.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 05, 2014, 09:22:08 pm »

Well, if you are scum you had a lot of incentive to avoid having raerae lynched, obviously. It didn't pan out for you, but you might have deemed it worth the risk.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 05, 2014, 09:25:41 pm »

Well, if you are scum you had a lot of incentive to avoid having raerae lynched, obviously. It didn't pan out for you, but you might have deemed it worth the risk.

If I were mafia I would have stuck on her and bussed hard to salvage anything. What I would not have done is what shareye is accusing me of doing... waffling and going back and forth. I am perfectly capable of bussing hard (MXIX for example) as mafia and will do so. So for shraeye who should know this to come in and insist that I am mafia is well... frustrating... that he doesn't seem to be considering the narrative where I am town.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 05, 2014, 09:28:00 pm »

If I were mafia I would have stuck on her and bussed hard to salvage anything. What I would not have done is what shareye is accusing me of doing... waffling and going back and forth. I am perfectly capable of bussing hard (MXIX for example) as mafia and will do so. So for shraeye who should know this to come in and insist that I am mafia is well... frustrating... that he doesn't seem to be considering the narrative where I am town.

Yeah, but the initial time when you were pulling away from the raerae lynch it wasn't obvious at all.  It wasn't that you were visibly waffling.  It was a scenario where your public agenda and private agenda got crossed up, and I'm not sure if you even realized it until I pointed it out.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 05, 2014, 09:53:30 pm »

Looking at the final D1 wagon and the resulting NK here are my initial reads in order of scummiest to towniest:

--------Would Lynch Reads:
Eevee
A Drowned Kernel
Yuma
--------Scummy Reads:
scott_pilgrim
Robz888
mcmcsalot
---------Null Reads:
mail-mi
shraeye
---------Town Reads:
Axxle
=========IC Reads:
pingpongsam

Note, this is strictly wagon analysis based on a possibly vague recollection of yesterday's events and how the wagons shaped up. I still have to find the time to reread with the new information. As it is, I need to get decent sleep for a huge day tomorrow then fly back home so it will probably be Friday night or Saturday morning before I can commit to anything.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 05, 2014, 09:54:39 pm »

Yuma's got some pretty weak reasons for not being on raerae, but I feel like he'd try a bit harder to find better ones if he was scum.

To those that are surprised by Andrew's death: why?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 05, 2014, 09:55:22 pm »

Yuma's got some pretty weak reasons for not being on raerae, but I feel like he'd try a bit harder to find better ones if he was scum.
Eh. i should stop Wifoming myself.

Vote: Yuma
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 05, 2014, 09:56:56 pm »

Not surprised by FTTW's death. More surprised he flipped Vanilla because I think scum was hunting a PR more than a strong angle to work in D2.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 05, 2014, 10:43:19 pm »

Nothing to say, mcmc? I see you are quite active on the forums right now.

sry you posted this at almost 6, I got off work(sitting at a desk) at 5 then i started doing things, ill focus on this tomorow.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 05, 2014, 10:53:19 pm »

So there's a lot of suspicion on me right now, which is pretty understandable. I guess you either believe me when you say I was just trying to avoid a mislynch, or you don't.

Scum read on Scott pretty much revoked, I think he was on the wagon too early and too consistently to be bussing scum. The only voters I would believe as bussing scum right now are Robz or Shraeye, and those are very tentative. I'd rather vote off-wagon.

Between PPS, Eevee, and Yuma... Yuma obviously seems scummier now, but I think he'd have to be fairly incompetent scum to do what he did, and I guess that isn't likely. But maybe that's whole point of what he did? WIFOM etc. Eevee's hardline stance against the raerae wagon seems a little townier. PPS, hmm.

Caught up early yesterday and again today. Will likely be gone all day but so far still standing firm on my vote. Not seeing anything new to convince me otherwise. Quite surprised there hasn't been a push for a wagon on me to date. I was kind of provoking one to see who would join it. While I have some suspicions about who may be scum I am largely null on everyone. Probably the only actual townish read I have is Axxle and I tend to doubly suspect my D1 Town reads.
(bold added)

Found this while I was rereading his posts, the unprovoked questioning of why no one is suspicious of him strikes me as someone who knows that people should have reason to be suspicious of them. Kind of like what I was reading from Eevee at the very beginning of the game, I thought I was misreading that but maybe I wasn't.

No vote yet, still have to wait and see I think.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 05, 2014, 10:59:21 pm »

I don't like shraeye's way of tunneling yuma, but he does look pretty scummy from yesterday (yuma does) so I'm going to go ahead and jump on the vote: yuma bandwagon.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 05, 2014, 11:35:42 pm »

What's the difference between tunneling and strongly believing that I'm correct?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: MXXXIX: Adventure Time! Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #614 on: March 05, 2014, 11:50:57 pm »

Vote Count 2.1:

yuma (3): shraeye, Axxle, mail-mi

Not Voting (7): Eevee, scott_pilgrim, Robz888, yuma, mcmcsalot, A Drowned Kernel, pingpongsam

With 10 alive, it takes 6 to lynch.

Day 2 ends at 4:45 p.m. on March 14, 2014.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: March 06, 2014, 12:00:51 am »

What's the difference between tunneling and strongly believing that I'm correct?
tunneling--focusing only on 1 person.

believing you're correct: yuma has a high possibility of being scum.

And I don't "strongly" believe you are correct, i just think that he has a higher chance of being scum and it's a good place to have my vote for the beginning of the day,.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 06, 2014, 12:32:57 am »

Here are all the votes cast against raerae, in order:

vote: shraeye
wrong.
vote: raerae?

^This is a nothing vote. It tells us nothing.

So we've got a pretty decent wagon on Shraeye, but it seems to have a pretty flimsy basis to me. Axxle originally voted because Shraeye's posts were supposedly just fluff, which isn't isn't that unusual at the beginning of the game, then confirmed it because Shraeye gave a newbie a little bit of a hard time. Then mail-mi and yuma basically jumped on the wagon without a contribution to the discussion beyond "yeah, what Axxle said!" And raerae's vote is a RVS holdover (I'm assuming that was RVS), so I'm just gonna put my vote on her until she changes hers or justifies it.

Vote: raerae

^This vote would tend ADK toward town, I think, because it puts raerae in danger. That first wagon against shraeye was never going anywhere, but a new, secondary wagon might.

Hey, Andrew, can we get your side of the story on this?  You think shraeye was trying to paint you in an ugly way?

Also, another real name, I'm tweaking a bit...
how about your opinion too?  how is andrew's opinion on my intent the one that you're interested in?

Vote: Andrew

So here's the deal, I wanted that question answered before I finalized this because on the reread I noticed that he sounded both knowledgeable and like a super-newbie.  Ya know, "I don't know what's going on?  Is this a thing?  What about this other complicated thing that isn't normal for a newbie to know about?"  It feels like he was fed info prior to the game but then also told to play up his newbie status.  I wanted to hear what he'd have to say re: shraeye first to see if he'd actually have an opinion when pressed or if he'd just talk around an answer.  Personally, I think the thing on shraeye is nonsense and I'm shocked it gained as much traction as it did.

vote: raerae

Her interaction with Andrew looks like she was setting him up for failure (and for a vote)... something I think I could only see scum doing--well maybe poor town play--either way, I don't like it.

^This was a point I agreed with at the time, I think it makes sense from town perspective. Of course, piling onto the wagon at this point might be a good way to ensure it doesn't ultimately succeed, since we recoil in horror at quickly forming wagons.

What answer could he have given that you would not have replied the same way?
From my perspective you asked him a question and afterwards voted him for a reason unrelated to his answer.

^Same.

Yes, I definitely agree that people should be careful and make sure to consider how their claim will benefit town as a whole and not just themselves.  I still feel like it would be very difficult for town to make a decision on whether someone else should claim though, since they don't know the player's role.  Unless you're suggesting they should say something like:

If you're X, claim.
If you're Y, don't claim.
If you're Z, claim.

That could potentially work in theory, but if you want to go through every single case "If you're a cop and you targeted X N1, claim; if you're a cop and you targeted Y N1, don't claim; etc." that's just a lot of trouble to go to.  The person who is potentially claiming will know their situation better than anyone else and will have put a lot more thought into it.

Anyway, that has no relevance to the game right now, since I don't think anyone has any immediate plans to claim anyway.

I feel like the way that raerae set up FTTW was intentional, and in the absence of anything scummier than that thus far, vote: raerae.  I think that puts her at L-2.

^Either a townie vote, or vote from scum ready to bus. Busing is the pro-move, but a dangerous one. Would Scotty do it? I tend to say no.

I've tried to think about how raerae voting for me for no good reason would benefit town but I can't see how it would. So vote: raerae and that's L-1.

^Andrew is town.

^There's actually a lot of ways you can read this vote. One, is that this was a crazy thing to do unless you knew raerae was flipping scum, which is something scum Axxle would know and could smartly do for cred. Two, is that his explanation actually makes sense and makes him very townie. I actually read town on Axxle for other reasons, so.

Okay, so I think from all this that the wagon, IMO, is a scum wagon run up by scum. Scum who wanted to get their partner,  raerae, up on an early wagon so she wouldn't be suspected later in the game. This is because of how quickly it rose/fell. So, based on this, vote: raerae.

^Raerae is down to 4 votes now, and mail-mi tries to get things going again. The interesting thing is that his analysis is probably spot on here, so I tend to acquit him. I guess it could be spot on because he is scum, though.

I've got some worthwhile thought.

Won't lynch; axxle, shraeye, Scott, Yuma, robz, mail-mi
Would lynch; pps, Andrew, ADK
Want to lynch; eevee, raerae

With that vote: raerae

^Well... is that a vote to bus, or not? That's the question. I could see it either way.

I'm here.  I think I like the raerae lynch (I'm assuming no one else wants to vote Robz yet since no one has done so for several days).  I don't like the way she's been acting but I also think we get some information from her flip.  vote: raerae I think that's L-3 but I was wrong about that last time so someone else should check before getting close to a lynch.

^She's actually down into safer territory now, so this vote, well, yeah, you can see it either way.

Next, Eevee says he opposes the raerae lynch and doesn't explain why when I press him. Next next, ADK tries to get the Scott lynch going. And yua is interested in that alternative wagon. Any alternative wagon, basically.

If nobody else is behind a yuma lynch, then I want raerae.

^Yuma casts the vote that essentially makes raerae the lynch.

If nobody else is behind a yuma lynch, then I want raerae.

Or maybe it can happen? I don't like voting behind shraeye, but my read on raerae remains scummy regardless...

This is L-1

Yuma joins, but then quickly unvotes. Tihs feels strained to me, like he wants to like he's genuinely willing to lynch raerae, but is actually not wanting to do it.

I dare people to lynch her and prove me wrong.

Okay. Vote: Raerae

^Innocent Child.

^Axxle hammers, for real this time.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 06, 2014, 12:34:00 am »

Well, that wasn't as elucidating as I had hoped. Yuma is manifestly the scummiest off of that, no surprise there.

I think mcmc, Scotty, and ADK all have some points toward town and toward scum.

Shraeye and Axxle look quite townie.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 06, 2014, 12:34:52 am »

And then of course PPS and Eevee are scummy off-wagoners.

Mail-mi is a question mark as usual, though kind of townie, ultimately.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 06, 2014, 12:35:36 am »

Vote: Yuma, because that's the only sane vote at this time.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 06, 2014, 12:39:42 am »

Here were raerae's liar reads:

I forgot we've already gone 'round on this.  Thanks for the requote.  You still think this is "all" we've got today?  What do you think of everybody else?

What do you think of everybody else? I know you generally don't make "reads lists" but really the only person I feel you have been vocal about as being town or scum is Andrew.

Wrong. I usually save them for the end of the day but I don't anticipate being super active this weekend so now is as good a time as any.

1.  Eevee - not much that I recall from the fluffy one except that he left his vote on me that one time after saying he didn't think I was scum, seems sloppy if he's a bad dude so default to townish?
2.  scott_pilgrim - don't remember anything other than other people voting for him
3.  Robz888 - feels like town robz, I feel like scum robz would be louder and more direction-y
4.  mail-mi - seems different than I remember, less sheepy, more forward, not sure if that's scum mail-mi or just more experienced mail-mi
5.  yuma - same as shraeye, the longer he's around the more dangerous he is to the opposite team
6.  mcmcsalot - it's been awhile but I see town mcmc here
7.  A Drowned Kernel - seems sort of flip-floppy so some suspicion but nothing vote-worthy
8.  pingpongsam - he's talked a lot but not said anything, I could see scum here
9.  raerae - town to the max
10. AndrewisFTTW - I still say he's been coached, my vote isn't moving
11. shraeye - can't read him but the longer he's alive the less I trust him
12. Axxle - been active and somewhat pushing conversation along, sort of townie

The thing she said about Scott would indicate to me that he is town, since usually you want to say something about your teammates. What she said about PPS looks scummiest to me.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 06, 2014, 12:52:37 am »

Vote Count 2.2:

yuma (4): shraeye, Axxle, mail-mi, Robz888

Not Voting (6): Eevee, scott_pilgrim, yuma, mcmcsalot, A Drowned Kernel, pingpongsam

With 10 alive, it takes 6 to lynch.

Day 2 ends at 4:45 p.m. on March 14, 2014.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 06, 2014, 07:21:43 am »

I can conceive that there is at least 1 scum on wagon. It shaped up early that no other lynch was happening. I believe that there is at least 1 and more likely 2 scum off-wagon. I know I am not among them but because I am I A) expected to survive the night and B) expected to catch the majority of the heat today.

That yuma is catching it so hard is a conundrum. either Town is coasting to victory this game or yuma is the easier mislynch and Robz and ADK who I suspect they may be.

For now, while I do agree with points made on yuma I refuse to vote on such a quickly moving D2 wagon on yuma. I reserve the right to vote him later with new information. I still owe myself and the game a reread but my crazy day begins about now.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 06, 2014, 09:47:31 am »

Yeah, but the initial time when you were pulling away from the raerae lynch it wasn't obvious at all.  It wasn't that you were visibly waffling.  It was a scenario where your public agenda and private agenda got crossed up, and I'm not sure if you even realized it until I pointed it out.

And this gets back to the whole meat of the issue that you disagree with how I approach the game... apparently you way is better as you hit scum while I flailed back and forth like an idiot, but that doesn't make me scum.

I don't see how you find someone scummy for saying "X is scum, but hey PPS that read of yours is complete bull and based off logic that has been refuted before."

you ask further down what is the difference between tunneling and strongly believing... tunneling is when you take any case, any evidence, any post and manipulate it so that it looks scummy in your eyes (what apparently you wanted me to do...) strongly believing is when you can look at evidence objectively regardless of what you believe and try to make accurate decisions based off that. I strongly believed raerae was scum, but I ended up tunneling you. That is the difference. And I feel like you voted me because I wasn't tunneling which is just a horrible attitude to take if you ask me because tunneling rarely produces anything positive.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 06, 2014, 09:49:42 am »

Yuma's got some pretty weak reasons for not being on raerae

I can't help if the reasons are weak! They are what they are!

This feels like Toy Story where I was instantly deemed scummy by everyone for hammering faust and nobody liked how I was trying to justify what I did because I was just being honest and trying to explain why I did what I did and why it made sense at the time... Except here I don't think you guys are going to listen to me, whereas there I avoided being a mislynch...
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 58  All

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 14 queries.