Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #218: Tokens  (Read 375 times)

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #218: Tokens
« on: April 29, 2024, 08:16:18 pm »
+2

Weekly Design Contest #218: Tokens

I think the Tokens in Adventures are pretty cool! 

Design a card or card-shaped thing that uses a Token, like the Adventure Tokens, or a new Token of your creation

If you design a new token, for simplicity, let's make each Token separate for each player. You can proxy a group token by something like "Move everyone's -$2 cost Token to the Estate Pile." You do not have to design a new token, there will be no points intrinsically for using the existing Tokens or designing a new one.

Contest Guidelines
  • Your Design has to use a Supply-pile based Token in it. Like the kind of Tokens in Adventures. The tokens can be used in a card (like Teacher) or a card-shaped thing (like Plan).
  • You can make your own kind of Supply-pile based Token, or you can use the Tokens present in Adventures.
  • "Stackable" Tokens (like Coffers, Villagers, Debt, VP) where you can acquire more than one per player, do not count for this. However you can use a "stackable" Token in your design as long as you also have a Supply-pile based Token. For example a card saying "+1 Coffers, move your +1 Buy token to the Province pile (When you play a card from that pile, you first get +1 Buy)" would be a valid submission.
  • You may use a mix of mechanics and themes from various expansions
  • Please include your card-text as text, and with a mock-up. You don't need to add card art, but I want to see the text fit on a card. I recommend using this mock-up tool.
  • Make a new post if you update your entry, please do not edit posts. I include this because I might miss your update!
  • I would prefer you to not use Ways or Traits, since those are harder to reason about the power-level of them without extensive playtesting
  • I would also prefer the number of card-shaped things I have to read to be 1-3. A single card, or an Event, etc is great. An Empires-style Split pile or Dark Ages style (like Urchin/Merchenary) is fine. An Allies-style Split pile, a Traveller pile, or a Knights/Castles pile is all too much to read for me.

Judgment Details:
  • The contest will close roughly one week from today. 
  • I will judge the entries based on balance, how well it fits in existing Dominion design-practices (for example, attacks are not political), how fun I think the card is, and simplicity where possible.

Entries:
  • Name by author. Brief Description
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 10:51:42 am by anordinaryman »

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +179
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #218: Tokens
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 09:13:49 pm »
+1

Weekly Design Contest #215: Tokens
:)     218 not 215     :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 09:30:01 pm by BryGuy »

BryGuy

• Explorer
  • Respect: +179
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 09:28:40 pm »
+1

:)
Sorting • $5 • Event
Move your Filtering token to an Action Supply pile. (When you play a card from that pile, you first get +1 Card and discard a card.)
:)
This is a new token that does less than +1 Card, but more than others.

Tiago

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tserridge
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 10:59:11 pm »
+2

Are Coffers, Villagers, VP, or Debt tokens allowed? What about made-up tokens similar to these?

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 11:39:35 pm »
+1

Are Coffers, Villagers, VP, or Debt tokens allowed? What about made-up tokens similar to these?

No, those are not the kind of tokens that go on a card pile, and not the kind I mean. I’ll edit the opening post to clarify, thanks for the question.
Well, those kind of tokens could be used, as long as there is a card-pile token involved. Like an event that says “Move your +1 debt token to a Supply pile. (When you gain a card from that pile you take 1 Debt)” would be allowed.

Weekly Design Contest #215: Tokens
:)     218 not 215     :)

Damnit, haha. Copy and paste got me, thank you for the correction.

Tiago

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 12:12:09 am »
+2

No idea how balanced this is.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +499
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 05:53:33 am »
+5

FUTURE GREATNESS:
turns whatever non-duration card you want into a wharf!! That's nuts!! maybe this should cost more then $7

Move your Future token to an non-Duration Action Supply pile. (Cards from this pile are during your turns also Duration cards first saying "Now and at the start of your next turn")
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 05:55:50 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +462
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 08:45:12 am »
+3

__

Demolition
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Look at the top card of your deck, you may trash it.
-
When you gain this, move your Invincible token to any Supply pile (when you trash a card from this pile not in play, put in into your hand).

* There is no "different" clause, you can move the token to the same pile where it is now.
* "Not in play" is to avoid infinite loops with self-trashers like Mining Village or Raze.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 08:46:15 am by grep »

Melon

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Melonpop
  • Respect: +53
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 09:50:06 am »
+5

HorazVitae

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 01:02:21 pm »
+3

Raiders' Den
+2 Actions
You may move your Horse or Spoils token to a Kingdom Supply pile you have no tokens on. (When you play a card from that pile, gain a Horse/Spoils from its pile.)
$5 Cost Action

I'm tentatively setting it to $5 for now, but might make it cost $6 before the deadline ends, after i've done some testing.

This enables the use of both the Horse and the Spoils token. I hope using two tokens is fine?^^
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 05:02:18 pm by HorazVitae »

StrangerSon712

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2024, 02:32:02 pm »
+1

Literati $3 Action
+$3
Take your -1 Card token.
-
When you gain this, put a card you would discard from play this turn onto your deck.

Zoyarox

• Steward
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 03:05:27 pm »
+2

Happy Village
$5 Action

+3 Actions
Move your +1 Card token to an Action supply pile other than the one it was on.

Village's big brother :)

Was tricky to balance with Lost City and crazy combos (also with itself) in mind. Many Actions are no problem for this one, and it favors variety.

valb_7k

• Pawn
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2024, 04:38:56 pm »
+1

Infestation
Move your Pest token to an Action Supply pile costing up to $4.
(When you play a card from that pile, you first gain a copy of it.)

Turns any $4 action into a Rat / Magpie in terms of self-gaining. Probably very broken with Experiment, and you can pile out all the Villas in one turn.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 04:40:54 pm by valb_7k »

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +426
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2024, 05:50:24 pm »
+4

Mutate (Event, $5)
Move your Amplify token to an Action Supply pile. (During your turns, all numbers in the instructions of cards from that pile, except 0 and 1, are increased by 1)

Tiago

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2024, 07:05:16 pm »
+1

You generally never need to move your token more than once (although with Raiders' Den you want to move two) and these are very weak cards other than the token moving. I think that they'll be treated as one/two-shots and you'll only buy one copy (unless it's the only Village, in which case it's not fun to have to buy Necropolises for $5). Powerful one-shots are probably better as Events. You could argue that it could put the token on itself, but they're so weak other than the token moving that there's much better targets.

TL;DR: I recommend making these into Events.

Augie279

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Augie279
  • f.ds's Resident Furry Trash™️
  • Respect: +497
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2024, 09:07:37 pm »
+2

Fletcher
Action - $5
Gain a card costing up to $4. If any Tokens are on its pile, +1 Action. Otherwise, move your Trashing token to its pile. (When you gain a card from its pile, you may trash a card from your hand.)

If you like gaining a lot of the same thing over and over again, good news! Even if you don't, having access to the Trashing token is still pretty nice. You can even put this on non-Actions, unlike the original user of the Trashing token, Plan. Also interacts with other Adventures tokens.
they/them

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2134
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2024, 03:23:02 am »
+3

Shares
Action - $2
Choose one: Place one of your Shares tokens on an Action supply pile, or take back one of your Shares tokens for +2 Cards and +2 Actions
____
In games using this, when any player gains a card, +1 Card per shares token you have on it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 05:47:36 am by NoMoreFun »

J410

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2024, 03:41:49 am »
+1

Old Teacher - Action

When you gain this, you may
move a token from its pile to
an Action Supply pile you
have no tokens on.

Setup: Put your +1 Card,
+1 Action, + and +1 Buy
tokens on Old Teacher.
This could have been a card without any types, but the Action type makes sure you can play it to get the bonuses of the tokens that are still on its pile. After moving all four tokens, you'll have 4 expensive action cards in your deck that do nothing when played. The Old Teacher can teach you many things, but tends to forget the things he said.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1449
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2024, 04:48:30 am »
+1

You generally never need to move your token more than once (although with Raiders' Den you want to move two) and these are very weak cards other than the token moving. I think that they'll be treated as one/two-shots and you'll only buy one copy (unless it's the only Village, in which case it's not fun to have to buy Necropolises for $5). Powerful one-shots are probably better as Events. You could argue that it could put the token on itself, but they're so weak other than the token moving that there's much better targets.

TL;DR: I recommend making these into Events.
Happy Village already exists as Event.

HorazVitae

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2024, 05:20:25 am »

Its side purpose was to serve as a target for the horse token if you didn't have an action splitter in the game, to make it into a semi-functional village after you gained some horses with it. But it is true that then you'd effectively have to buy a 5 cost semi-functional village, which doesn't provide any of the pleasures i intended for this card. I gander i'll reduce its cost for each token that it already put out and put a buy on it, which fits the theme of being a fallback for when its the only one of its kind. Action source and Buy source. Thank you for bringing that to my attention^^

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2024, 05:57:53 am »

I don’t think the card has to be buffed. It is basically Pathfinding plus then some on a Necropolis which sounds very strong. If you give it a Buy it does everything: Buy, draw, split, payload.

HorazVitae

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2024, 05:58:52 am »

I'll just test both and see what happens^^

Tiago

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2024, 09:13:16 am »

I'm not worried that the card as a whole is too weak, I'm worried that in games with other villages you'll get one Raiders' Den, put the tokens on the other village or some other card, and then ignore this card. In games with this as the only village, it's mostly Bandit Camp, but you have to play it twice before that.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2024, 09:22:17 am »

Yep, it is a two-shot (it is highly unlikely that you wanna buff a Necro). I don’t see the problem, that is naturally how non-landscapes are going to work with Adventure tokens.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2024, 11:35:40 am »

Shares
Action - $2
Choose one: Place one of your Shares tokens on an Action supply pile, or take back one of your Shares tokens for +2 Cards and +2 Actions
____
In games using this, when any player gains a card, +1 Card per shares token you have on it.

This does not qualify, you made a “stackable” token.

Kindly review the opening post

"Stackable" Tokens (like Coffers, Villagers, Debt, VP) where you can acquire more than one per player, do not count for this

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.