Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (GAME OVER - MAFIA WINS!)  (Read 338009 times)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (DAY 3 START!)
« Reply #2450 on: June 29, 2012, 02:06:25 pm »

RobZ - just went back and re-read your missive - it was the first thing I read this morning (or maybe last thing from last night) and I was foggy and never went back to react to it.

I tend to agree with the analysis that I am not mafia - I in fact know it to be true.  I'm not sure it really clears me though - I've never been high on anyone's suspicions except O and Pops giving me grief - presumably for giving them grief about their irritating playstyles - and if the lynchwagon did take off - he could always drop off like I did off of Grujah - which even J suggests is scumread-neutral.

I also don't follow the internal logic - I still don't understand why Pops is free.  Bickering with O is one thing on his side earlier in the week... but once he joined the Grujah wagon - Pops didn't vote for O - he stayed behind on Grujah...

That play just seems odd to me. 

I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: June 29, 2012, 02:18:44 pm »

Pops says he thought he voted for O, and reading over that section of the thread it did look to me like he thought that, if my memory is correct. They bickered too much.

Although maybe I should stop defending him, since he never defends himself.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: June 29, 2012, 02:19:35 pm »

You know, if I am wrong about there being 3 mafia, my whole analysis is out the window. I was assuming 3 mafia even if there was a Serial Killer. DO we think there could only be 2 mafia? That does change my analysis. It knocks Jo back into contention, for one thing.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: June 29, 2012, 02:23:53 pm »

You know, if I am wrong about there being 3 mafia, my whole analysis is out the window. I was assuming 3 mafia even if there was a Serial Killer. DO we think there could only be 2 mafia? That does change my analysis. It knocks Jo back into contention, for one thing.

I think it's really tough know, which is a frustration with the closed set-up. I think the only things we can rule out (and still not 100% ruled out) are 4 mafia+SK and 2 mafia+no SK.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: June 29, 2012, 02:24:46 pm »

I tend to assume 3 mafia as well - given that we had more players than M3, and that game had a Mafia PR + 2 Goons + a SK.

@DSell - Agreed - 2 Mafia + No SK would be really brutal - unless the rest of town was full of vigs, which would be quite funny - but closer to bastard mod.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: June 29, 2012, 02:25:00 pm »

I tend to assume 3 mafia as well - given that we had more players than M3, and that game had a Mafia PR + 2 Goons + a SK.

@DSell - Agreed - 2 Mafia + No SK would be really brutal - unless the rest of town was full of vigs, which would be quite funny - but closer to bastard mod.

Brutal for mafia that is.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: June 29, 2012, 03:48:29 pm »

I think it's really tough know, which is a frustration with the closed set-up. I think the only things we can rule out (and still not 100% ruled out) are 4 mafia+SK and 2 mafia+no SK.

I mentioned this early in the thread, but as a reminder:  there was a maximum of 4 scum players at game start.  So you can 100% rule out "4 mafia + SK."

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: June 29, 2012, 04:49:27 pm »

Is this what happens to mafia games when Galzria isn't involved?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: June 29, 2012, 04:55:20 pm »

Anyway, the discussion is distracting at this point, and it's not surprising at all that Frisk and Jo want that distraction.

The discussion is a distraction that you started with what I considered to bad reasoning - so I called it out.

However - agreed with everyone that we should be hunting mafia - not SK - at least until at least 1 more mafia goes down.  We do have confirmed mafia in the game (there is at least 1 remaining), and we don't even know if there is SK.

-- back on target --

So there are 4 of us (myself, DSell, Jonah, and Pops) of which we expect at least 1 to be mafia.  3 of us false lynched Axxle1. 

RobZ has cleared pops for some reason I don't understand.

J is J - Pops thinks he's town - Glooble thinks he's town.

I am not mafia - nobody suspected me in the Tables hunt - and then I failed to vote for O and now I look scummy as hell.

DSell - nobody suspects him as far as I know.

Does that summarize our likely suspects?

What are you referring to here? When did we go after Tables?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: June 29, 2012, 04:56:41 pm »

What are you referring to here? When did we go after Tables?

Tables put together the chart - with all of our suspicions?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: June 29, 2012, 05:03:19 pm »

Got it, sorry. Brain fart.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (DAY 2 UNDERWAY)
« Reply #2461 on: June 29, 2012, 05:16:06 pm »

Willing to lynch (in order of preference): Popsofctown, Jotheonah, Glooble, Grujah, Robz
Strong-unwilling: Tables, SFS, DSell (due to V/LA)
Still-pretty-damn-unwilling: Captain Frisk, Axxle, Galzria

Where do we reckon O puts his partners on this list? The bottom if he's thinking about the current round, the top if he's planning for a worst case scenario of him being lynched (unlikely since at this point there was no wagon on him)

CF had a convenient excuse for not making his list until everyone else had (We need a methodology guys!) When his list does emerge, it puts Me, Galz, and Pops on top - three people already high on the list (and therefore candidates for the consensus). Two of whom I know are town (One we all know) and pops, who I'm pretty sure is town based on interactions with O, but Frisk continues to suspect. He puts O right in the middle.

And then the O wagon starts. And then this happens:

Well - I like that this wagon is different than my grujah wagon, but seriously... Glooble, is there any lynch you don't get behind?

Can someone explain why we are lynching O and not Jonah?  Table's magic list said so?  He tallied it up, eliminated the top guy, and then got to make his choice of the next 2 and now we're all voting for him? 

Why can't we lynch Jonah or Pops - who there have been actual cases against?

Pops started this up, and has repeatedly dodged questions of "how are we going to pick the lynch target" - and when called out on his cagey responses, he says "because it rhymes".

If it was anyone other than Tables or SFS driving the selection, I'd be really angry... now I'm just confused.

Wow. Desperate bid to save his V/LA partner much?

Yeah, Ok. That's enough for me. Vote: Captain Frisk

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: June 29, 2012, 05:17:06 pm »

"who there have been actual cases against" = particularly scummy, since plenty of actual cases had been made against O.

He/him

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: June 29, 2012, 05:20:28 pm »

"who there have been actual cases against" = particularly scummy, since plenty of actual cases had been made against O.

I've been reading history - it looks like the best "zing" against O was that he had "forgotten" that SFS had cleared Tables.

What other parts of this case do you find compelling?

Note: you didn't vote for him either!

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: June 29, 2012, 05:21:04 pm »

I am online - but I will not be hammering O.  I hope that he is Mafia, and I generally agree with Robz's theory that there is mafia among the set of

Jo
Galzria
O
Glooble
Captain_Frisk
Pops

I don't understand why the logic for why O is in here.  He's the first member of the non Axxlewagon to jump on the Grujah wagon? 

I'm removing myself because I know I'm not mafia.  That leaves me with Jo, Galz, Glooble, Pops. 

As I've stated before, I prefer J to Glooble, and Pops to Galz.  J for legit suspicions reasons, and Pops over Galz for personality - since I don't really have a strong read for one or the other.  I am willing to let the twinclaim thing ride for a bit, hence my vote for pops, but I lynch J or Galz if need be.

So the BIG difference between CF's not hammering and my not hammering is this. CF announced an intention not to hammer, even (one assumes) if that led to a no lynch. Whereas I announced an intention to hammer if need be. Big difference.

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: June 29, 2012, 05:22:06 pm »

Also I invoke the spirit of the dead:

If O comes up Mafia, then C.F. Needs to be the next target.

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: June 29, 2012, 05:24:35 pm »

I've been reading history - it looks like the best "zing" against O was that he had "forgotten" that SFS had cleared Tables.

What other parts of this case do you find compelling?

Note: you didn't vote for him either!

What got me was his weird vehemence against Robz's not-that-implausible group theory, actually. But I thought Galzria was the worse offender there. Ah well.

He/him

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: June 29, 2012, 05:24:59 pm »

Vote Count 3-3

Captain_Frisk (3): Axxle, popsofctown, jotheonah
jotheonah (1): SwitchedFromStarcraft

Not voting {5}: Dsell, Robz888, Captain_Frisk, Glooble, Tables

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch

Lynch Deadline:  Tuesday, July 11, 4:59 p.m. EDT

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: June 29, 2012, 05:25:51 pm »

Final note: I hate to be the one leading this charge, because it probably looks very "anybody but me" but I hope the quotes I've provided will convince you that this is evidence-based scumhunting. If it helps, imagine Tables said it.

He/him

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: June 29, 2012, 06:11:05 pm »

Final note: I hate to be the one leading this charge, because it probably looks very "anybody but me" but I hope the quotes I've provided will convince you that this is evidence-based scumhunting. If it helps, imagine Tables said it.

The finger of Galzria suspicion from beyond the grave is pretty tough to defend.  As soon as I saw that Galz was dead - I was shocked (because I suspected him to be mafia - mainly because I knew his read to be so wrong that it must be false vs. just mis-informed), then sad because I figured I was in for a rough day.

The other posts you quote - I'm perfectly fine with.  I was opposed to the O lynch for the very reasons I outlined.  I didn't (and still don't) like the idea of the pooled lists - which is why I resisted providing mine.  The fact that the list mania was started by pops - who then refused any commentary on it - made me doubly suspicious.  (Kudos to tables for running it home - either as town - or as the significantly less likely BEST BUS EVER)

The end result of the list?  You and O were tied... and Tables went after O.

The next two highest are Joth and O. Joth isn't a candidate of Pops (who gave a good reason for not wanting to lynch Joth (today) and Glooble (who is of course the twinclaim). O isn't a candidate of Galz or SFS, neither of whom have given good reasons for not putting him on (hardly surprising, as he hasn't been the focus of discussion for good chunks of two days...). This makes me somewhat uncomfortable - Galz isn't one of my scumreads and neither is SFS, so by my own logic this would likely make the mafia be trying to egg an O lynch on.

I felt that you were an equally viable candiate - one that we knew we could lynch (by virtue of you having nearly been lynched prior) - and I didn't understand why were were letting you off the hook - and all the sudden going after O.  Re-reading it STILL makes me angry:
1.  Because I still didn't agree with it - and pops refused to answer any questions about why we should be doing it
2.  Because it worked and thus I was clearly wrong.

Was anyone honestly truly confident on the O lynch?  I felt like if I was voting - it would have been "well - I have nothing better - so here it goes!".   That just feels scummy to me -> hence my unwillingness to lynch. 

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: June 29, 2012, 06:12:51 pm »

Hm, you make a compelling case, Jo.

This is tough. Now that I'm getting more worried that there are only 2 mafia in total (in other words, I'm not hunting for a pair), Frisk seems a lot more plausible. Then again, so do you. And if there are 2, I still think Dsell is the top contender. Maybe? Ugh.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: June 29, 2012, 06:15:13 pm »

Time to shut down - will be lurking from phone / ipad this evening.   

@RobZ - I probably don't need to remind you that just about anyone can build a compelling case against J and his "anyone but me" craziness.  In fact - I could probably just go back and paste in your own case.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: June 29, 2012, 06:25:37 pm »

I see a lot of flailing from CF.  And Joth seems a little too pushy.  I'll come back tonight and look through all of CF's posts to see if I can't come up with something to convince the nonvoters (SwitchedFromStarcraft, Dsell, Robz888, Glooble, Tables) that this is the right course of action.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #2473 on: June 29, 2012, 06:27:05 pm »

Was anyone honestly truly confident on the O lynch?  I felt like if I was voting - it would have been "well - I have nothing better - so here it goes!".   That just feels scummy to me -> hence my unwillingness to lynch. 

I was pretty confident. I know everyone says I'll jump on any bandwagon, but I've been telling people O looks bad to me since day one.

Btw, trying to search your posts is made very frustrating by your participation in every ongoing Mafia or Bastard Mafia game. The visual similarity of IV to VI is going to get confusing fast when analyzing past posts.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: June 29, 2012, 06:35:13 pm »

It bothers me that neither of our likely-confirmed townies are on this wagon. Tables did list C_F as quite suspicious when he last posted, though. SFS is on jo and has laid out a pretty strong string of posts linking O and jo, and to be honest I still am having trouble swallowing jo's ridiculous about-face in playing style. O's lynch must have really sobered him up. However, he's making strong arguments that (he's right!), are based on logic and not just anyone-but-me. THIS WORRIES ME but hey, I'll accept it for now.

The case against C_F is really strong and the fact that Galz supported/supports it does make me a little more ok with that decision. I will not even consider voting, however, until we hear more from Tables and probably SFS.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.