Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49]  All

Author Topic: Arrested Development Mafia (RMM14) - Game Over; Town Wins!  (Read 100994 times)

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Arrested Development Mafia (RMM14) - Day6
« Reply #1200 on: March 01, 2014, 07:55:24 pm »

My thoughts on the game:

I came into this setup from the flavor first. Maybe this isn't an optimal way to approach the design process. But mostly I knew I wanted to design a 9 player game because there were 9 people in the Bluth family.

My second approach was coming into the game I wanted to give mafia pre-designed, and effective, fake claims for them to use. So have mafia have both a town PR and a mafia PR.

Next I mulled around with a whole bunch of ideas on how to do this and eventually had mafia having secondary characters that they could use as PRs (Lupe the Maid, Barry Zuckerkorn, etc...) but couldn't quite come up with anything that I liked. Around the same time I thought about how it is a bummer to be lynched early in a game, especially a RMM game and how that isn't fun. I liked how eHal resolved this in the first RMM game, but wanted to try for something different... and then the ideas merged and everyone became a secondary character and a real character. This also allowed for more of my PR ideas to be incorporated.

Overall I was pleased with the game. It ended up being pretty close although Voltaire was walking a fine line the whole time after Walrus was lynched. My first change would be to make the mafia a 3-man team, with one player a Traitor ala Chocolate Factory Mafia. Obviously I would have lessened their powers and amped up the powers of town a bit to compensate. But as I think Voltaire pointed out having basically 4 players up against 14 town requires a bunch of deaths of town for mafia to win. I think if neither mafia had ever died and if they utilized their kills perfectly it would require 10 deaths. Compare that to a 9 player game with 2 mafia. They just need 5 deaths. Or a 13 player game with 3 mafia. They need 6. Adding a third mafia would have allowed mafia to only need 6 deaths, which I think would have been more doable.

Things I would have changed:

- not allowing mafia to night kill the player that had just been lynched the day before. I probably also would not have allowed that player to use their PR that night. But once I decided the latter I felt I needed to decide the former as well. My original intent was for that, but it was more stylistic and I never specified in the rules if it was allowed or not. In the end it was the correct choice for the setup that had been created, but I was sad about it as I wanted ashersky to come ragging back into the thread day2...

- changed a few roles. Eevee's was very swingy. EFHW's I would have eliminated the "informed who targeted you" part.

- I really liked Arch's role, joth's role and the gladiator role (the rolestealing parts especially, although those were never used)

- I felt mafia didn't really deserve to lose this game. Two kills came from vig/PGO stuff that they had covered, but couldn't block due to how the PRs interacted. Walrus's lynch came from info that was misinterpreted. Archetype and Walrus actually had it 100% correct how things played out with the PGO vs PHO part. And Voltaire was basically lynched as a PoE lynch for the end game.

- Mafia could have done somethings better... Volt's gladiator, killing ashersky again I think, both fake claims weren't ideal... (should have discussed that during the night, but didn't anticipate dying during the night)

- Anyways, I hope everyone had fun. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks for playing guys (and gal!)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: March 01, 2014, 07:58:30 pm »

MVP?

Arch, I think?

I'm glad I shot Voltaire!
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: March 01, 2014, 08:10:56 pm »

Great game everyone! I had lots of fun scumming it up, hope I fooled somebody at least :) It ended up being really close I think!

Thanks yuma for modding, I really enjoyed the setup
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: March 01, 2014, 08:23:12 pm »

People.  Listen to me when I say things about Voltaire!

Heh. You obviously had me. As you'll see from the mafia thread, that decision was more of a "This is RMM, let's do some fireworks!" than a deep strategic decision.

Very cool setup, yuma. Walrus, you were a great scumbuddy. I probably shouldn't have bussed you at all. That was our downfall, I think. That, and the fact that I should have no-killed last night. I decided to bank on faust protecting me and, oh well.

I will say, busdriving Archetype so he saw himself investigating me to back up my fakeclaim is definitely my proudest (and least consequential) moment in mafia history.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: March 01, 2014, 08:26:50 pm »

Actually, I thought my cop claim was great. It didn't seem to get me as suspected as it should have, and even seemed to buy me towncred from some players.

I think our downfall was (small) me not no-killing last night (big) me and Walrus not really having a plan for what to do once one of us goes down.

Honestly, I viewed D5 and D6 as bonuses that I was happy to live to, so I didn't mind the quick POE-style D6 one bit. Town deserved the win!

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: March 01, 2014, 08:28:26 pm »

Great game Yuma, lots of original twists. 

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: March 01, 2014, 08:36:27 pm »

I think Walrus and Voltaire are your ICs, and you need to lynch 2/4 of Arch, xeiron, faust, and EFHW.

Ash, was this speccy comment serious, or had you changed your mind? Just curious since you totally 100% caught me D1.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: March 01, 2014, 08:39:06 pm »

I think Walrus and Voltaire are your ICs, and you need to lynch 2/4 of Arch, xeiron, faust, and EFHW.

Ash, was this speccy comment serious, or had you changed your mind? Just curious since you totally 100% caught me D1.

Never mind, I see it was just you sorting through the two-lives thing.

I was hoping I could ride out confusion that I'd flipped town for longer D2 but it didn't work out that way.  >:( ::)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: March 01, 2014, 08:41:24 pm »

I was serious, based on my own belief that the setup would not have double-lived scum.  I figured scum would die on the first try.

Clearly my speculation on yuma's setup was wrong.  My instincts were not.  :)
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: March 01, 2014, 08:45:02 pm »

Clearly my speculation on yuma's setup was wrong.  My instincts were not.  :)

You should feel great, ash. I was truly terrified of you after D1 and you completely earned your D1 lynch/N1 nightkill record.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: March 01, 2014, 08:52:36 pm »

MVP?

Arch, I think?

I am open to suggestions. My instinct says to give it to faust for last night's actions which ultimately sealed the fate of Voltaire, although it was based off the false premise of EFHW becoming lovers with him (the two-shot was used up!).

Or Voltaire, surviving as long as he did and using night actions pretty effectively throughout were pretty good.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
Re: Arrested Development Mafia (RMM14) - Game Over; Town Wins!
« Reply #1211 on: March 01, 2014, 10:18:56 pm »

Voltaire played a superior scum game. Ash had the team pegged D1.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: March 01, 2014, 10:59:13 pm »

People.  Listen to me when I say things about Voltaire!

Heh. You obviously had me. As you'll see from the mafia thread, that decision was more of a "This is RMM, let's do some fireworks!" than a deep strategic decision.

Very cool setup, yuma. Walrus, you were a great scumbuddy. I probably shouldn't have bussed you at all. That was our downfall, I think. That, and the fact that I should have no-killed last night. I decided to bank on faust protecting me and, oh well.

I will say, busdriving Archetype so he saw himself investigating me to back up my fakeclaim is definitely my proudest (and least consequential) moment in mafia history.

My suggestion would have been a no-kill last night. But your plan was pretty good too and I was pleased to see you do as well as you did.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: March 01, 2014, 11:13:45 pm »

A no-kill I think still would have resulted in a Voltaire lynch... maybe not as likely. At the least I think it would have resulted in a no-lynch to force the issue.

What I think would have worked is:

1. bus driving faust and EFHW and targeting faust with the NK... of course Voltaire wouldn't have known this would be the correct move, but still...

Because that would have resulted in:

Faust targeting himself instead of EFHW
EFHW being NK instead of faust

Everyone ends up confused and I think EFHW is more likely to vote for faust in that scenario than to vote for voltaire. Maybe she still would have, but it would have been more of a toss-up I think.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: March 02, 2014, 09:54:31 pm »

MVP?

Arch, I think?
haha, most definitely not. I think the only thing I was right about was the PHO Babysitter and your Aid-Reguiring Vigilante. I totally backed up WalrusMcFishSr and falsely confirmed Voltaire as the Cop when he made me target myself (Which made me laugh by the way. After seeing all the PMs, but before reading the Mafia QT, I thought you must of Role Copped that night, but this is way funnier). Then I shot Town in the foot by not targeting xeiron (Sorry!) with my Doctor (but then again, faust kinda did too by not protecting him). So naw. Maybe I'll get MVP next game.

Awesome game yuma! Really impressed with the roles, especially mine and the role thieves. The 1-shot Deathproof and new role mechanic was really novel and implemented pretty well I think. I agree with you that including a Traitor or Survivor would've been a better inclusion over the dearth of Killing roles as it keeps all those nifty roles in play longer and reduces swing. Overall, I had a blast. Flavor was really cool too even though I didn't know, like, half of the secondary characters. I need to watch past the first season!

Thanks again yuma!

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: March 03, 2014, 04:44:56 am »

Oh yay, finally I'm going to LyLo and win :) (as town)

It was a great game and even though I was unsure at first if the respawning thing could work, I think it did work out pretty nicely.

In the end, I thought EFHW's commuting was two-shot, but not the lovers part... oh well. I probably would have lynched Voltaire no matter what, because there's no way I could have won against EFHW.

As for MVP, I'd say both Voltaire and xeiron did a pretty good job here.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49]  All

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 16 queries.