Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 53: Climb Every Mount  (Read 1033 times)

czzzz

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +250
    • View Profile
Fan Card Mechanics Week 53: Climb Every Mount
« on: January 03, 2023, 04:28:09 pm »
+4

I'm interested in Gazbag's Mount mechanic and would like to see what you all come up with! (If this has already been done recently, let me know and I'll pick something else.)
From their post:
When you gain a Mount card, you can choose to either gain it as normal or mount it. Mounted cards are put into play instead of your discard pile and stay out in front of you, they give you some kind of effect. You can only have 1 mount at a time (that's one mount, not one of each different mount). When certain things happen you are forced to dismount your mount, when this happens it is discarded from play and becomes a regular card in your deck. You can only mount cards when you gain them, so once you've dismounted you'll have to gain a new one if you want to mount again.
When you choose to mount a card rather than gain it normally, it does not count as gaining -- think Exile.

In the thread it was brought up that a different color would be good for it, so here is a template. Follow Duration color rules if your card is multi-typed.
Here's one based on the original examples, and then a more silly example.

As long as there's enough submissions I will be closing the contest in about 6 days, and take a day to review/test each card so I can leave the best feedback I can.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 04:46:17 pm by czzzz »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 53: Climb Every Mount
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 03:56:46 pm »
+2

Condor
$4 - Action - Duration - Mount - Liason
At the start of next turn, choose one: Gain a card costing up to $4; or +$2, +1 Buy, and +1 Favor.
-
Mount: At the start of your turns: +1 Favor. Dismount when you spend 3 or more favors in one turn, or if you have 6 or more unspent.
Orginally had the gaining as a Smugglers effect, but that had too many words. The Mount/Dismount text doesn't leave a lot of room for the top half. The flexibility should make up for the delay drawback.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 12:52:38 pm »
+3

My Submission:

Unicorn • Victory - Mount • $7
Worth 5VP if Mounted at the end of the game, otherwise worth 3VP.

Mount: At the start of your turn, discard a card, and if it costs less than $3, Dismount.

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 09:06:56 pm »
+2

Hippocampus - $3
Action - Mount
+1 Action
Look at the top card of your deck. You may put it on the bottom of your deck. Then, +1 Card.
----
Mount: At the start of your turn, look at the bottom card of your deck. You may discard it, or Dismount to put it into your hand.

Hippocampus does what we want Pearl Diver to do. The Mount effect of looking at the bottom card is the only mandatory part. Discard ing the card is optional and dismounting to put it into your hand is optional. May need to be priced at $4, because of the flexibility. Feedback appreciated.

J410

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 10:10:35 am »
+3

My submission: Crane

(bottom should be 'Action - Duration - Mount')
On this turn and your next, cards cost $1 less
-
Mount: At the start of your turn: +1 Buy. Dismount when you have any Buys remaining at the start of Clean-up.
Keep one mounted for an extra buy per turn. The top part makes good use of the extra buys and is spread out of two turn to help prevent duds. Dismounting one when it's the only source of buys is quite painful.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 04:58:28 am by J410 »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 10:57:57 am »
+3

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 12:31:32 pm »
+3

Alpha Wolf - Action Mount, $5 cost.
+2 Cards
+1 Action

You may lose a Villager for +1 Card. Discard a card.
-
Mount: when any player plays an Action card, you may reveal a copy of it from your discard pile to dismount for +3 Villagers.

czzzz

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2023, 01:36:37 pm »

I'm planning to close the contest in
24 Hours
Thank you for the submissions so far! These look great. Anyone that hasn't submitted still has the opportunity to and I would love to see your ideas! :D

czzzz

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 01:05:24 pm »

Challenge Closed
Judging results will be posted shortly.

czzzz

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 01:15:41 pm »
+3

DISCLAIMER: I can only speak from my perspective and understanding, and I'm less experienced than most of you. I apologize in advance... I nonetheless will do my best to give helpful feedback.

LibraryAdventurer's Condor: In testing, I felt the gain option added little to it. I recognize it's remnant of the thematic Smuggler effect you planned, but I would consider removing it (so I guess this would be Eagle or something). Also I don't count it against you but I wish there was a slimmer way to express those favor-based dismount conditions. I couldn't think of one. In any case, it was a fun and very useful card! It worked well as a mount, and worked well within the deck. For allies with low favor cost, it can be basically a permanent mount. With high favor cost, you can re-mount it as you need to, while the dismounted ones cycle through and give extra favors.

emtzalex's Unicorn: Obviously since it's worth a Duchy if unmounted, you would likely only buy it with the intention of /keeping/ it mounted. Basically I'm not judging it as a 7-cost Duchy, because you'd only do that under certain circumstances -- this will commonly be bought as a 7-cost %5 that causes you to discard each turn. Naturally you would just want to mount it near the end so you don't have to deal with the discarding. The more you've greened (and the less turns left in the game), the less of a sacrifice it is to keep Unicorn mounted. Victory pairs well with Mount, since it keeps it semi-Exiled. This is well done.

Xen3k's Hippocampus: Well-priced based on playtesting. I'm not an expert on card phrasing, but in the Mount effect, is there a way to clarify that you can return the card to the bottom? I saw that in your description but that wasn't my impression when I initially read the card. Anyways: to make the most of your $, this is certainly best bought as a mount, but as a cantrip is inoffensive in most decks. I like the interaction between the mounted and unmounted Hippocampi. Very fun card!

J410's Crane: You'll want this to be Action - Duration - Mount, but no big deal. Crane plays pretty differently depending on Buy availability in a kingdom. The Bridge Troll-top part is attractive, you just have good Buys and $ before you can fully take advantage of it.  Very nice synergy with mounted and unmounted Cranes.

segura's Donkey: The top compares most directly to Warehouse, but with larger hands and more variety, can potentially sift with greater reach (but worse reach if low on hand size/variety). Bottom is Hireling that lasts until you buy Victory, well-priced and attractive at $5. Even though the Warehousing can be underwhelming in kingdoms with less variety, it's non-terminal so it doesn't usually hurt when it dismounts (aside from losing your Hireling effect). Very cool!

Aquila's Alpha Wolf: I'd change "lose" to "remove", like Butcher, but maybe that's personal preference. In any case I love the top part! The mount effect is cool, especially in kingdoms without Villagers (most kingdoms) -- I like that it gives multiplayer interaction without attacking. If other players are paying attention and have the option, they can skip over Actions you've played since your shuffle to keep your Alpha Wolf pinned. However this card also has an unspoken rule that you can look through your discard pile at any time outside of your turn. Not necessarily a bad thing or a big deal, but interesting to note.

Can I first just say: WOW! Amazing cards all around! You each brought something unique and great to the table. There was not a single submission that I didn't enjoy playing with. Give yourself a pat on the back! After great agony, here is the decision I made:

HONORABLE MENTION: J410's Crane
RUNNER-UP: Aquila's Alpha Wolf
WINNER: Xen3k's Hippocampus

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023, 08:49:10 pm »
+1

Thanks czzzz for running the challenge and the detailed judging. I am quite busy with some real life stuff so I don't think I can run the next challenge. If it is alright with everyone, Aquila could run the next challenge if they wish.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 04:01:24 am »
+2

OK, I have an idea for a mechanic. I just need to make a mock-up first...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.