Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Renaissance Previews #5: Fair, Silos, Citadel, Star Chart, Sewers, Innovation  (Read 83540 times)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25650
    • View Profile
+45

Projects are abilities everyone can have. They go in your randomizer deck or special sideways deck, like Events and Landmarks. You only play with 2 max between these and Events and Landmarks, unless you prefer to have more, I can't stop you. Each player gets two wooden cubes, that's right we've at last moved into wood, and if you buy a Project - using a buy in your Buy phase - you put one of your unused cubes on it and then have that ability for the rest of the game. You only get two cubes, even if you preferred having more than two Projects out at once. Everyone can put a cube on the same Project, there's room for all. There are twenty Projects. Here are six of them.

So, Fair, you pay your $4, you put a cube on Fair, every turn from now on you have +1 Buy. Get it?

Silos lets you Cellar away Coppers at the start of your turn, could be a pip.

Citadel repeats your first Action each turn. You are going places once you have one of these.

Star Chart lets you pick your top card every time you shuffle. It seems like that could come in handy. Yes you get to look at the cards, you don't have to pick from the backs.

Sewers means every trasher you have can trash an extra card. It also works when you play a one-shot like Acting Troupe, or lose a card to Swindler or something. It can be sneaky.

And finally Innovation makes your first bought/gained Action each turn leap into play and immediately do something. Not all things are useful to play in your Buy phase (and there isn't always a Workshop available), but it turns out a lot of things are (and sometimes, there's a Workshop).

That's it for previews! You'll be able to play with the previewed cards online all through the weekend; then they'll vanish until the street date for the physical set. Which is when you'll also get to see the rest of the cards. And when is that? Well the current guess is... late October. Very late October. So late in October that it's almost not October. Man. A month away. But at least RGG has a lot of confidence in that estimate. The rulebook will show up online around then as usual, and once people have the cards I'll post a Secret History.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
+2

Are the cubes in different colors?

These look like an awesome twist on Events. Thanks for the previews Donald!

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25650
    • View Profile
+4

Are the cubes in different colors?

These look like an awesome twist on Events. Thanks for the previews Donald!
The cubes match the player colors from the mats and Adventures mats/chits, and you're welcome, I'm there for you.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
+19

First obvious observation: Sewers go well with Rats! Nice flavor choice there.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
+3

Finally, Citadel will help me counter those pesky Enchantresses.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4433
    • View Profile
+1

So, although Inheritance is an Event, Projects work basically the same way as it does, right? Buy it once, and you have a special ability for the rest of the game?

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
+2

If I have Star Craft Chart and play Patrol with 6 cards left in my deck, then according the the changed reshuffle rule I will have to shuffle before drawing any and can put a card on top and draw it with Patrol, correct? So we now have a case where the revised shuffle rule really does make a difference?

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +637
    • View Profile
+1

Cool, these look good.
I guess Sewers will make a huge difference to boards which only have weak trashing.
Star Chart looks really useful for all kinds of decks.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile

Finally, Citadel will help me counter those pesky Enchantresses.
Often it will be a real counter, especially for idempotent actions like draw-to-x. But in most cases Enchantress would still affect you negatively.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
+1

If I have Star Craft Chart and play Patrol with 6 cards left in my deck, then according the the changed reshuffle rule I will have to shuffle before drawing any and can put a card on top and draw it with Patrol, correct? So we now have a case where the revised shuffle rule really does make a difference?
Ah interesting.
And a follow up question - on top of what? On top of your deck or on top of the cards you've just shuffled?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4433
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Previews #5: Fair, Silos, Citadel, Star Chart, Sewers, Innovation
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 03:22:13 am »

So the way Sewers works would be like this?

I play Forge, I trash two cards; Sewers allows me to trash up to two more cards; then I gain something costing the sum of the first two cards?

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Previews #5: Fair, Silos, Citadel, Star Chart, Sewers, Innovation
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 03:22:50 am »
+2

I guess Sewers will make a huge difference to boards which only have weak trashing.
It will be interesting to see if someone would gain curses, estates or ruins voluntarilly just to keep Jack-of-all-Trades (as the only trasher) churning through the coppers.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 03:23:56 am »
+5

No. You can fullfill the +3 Cards ability without any problem. Once you drew 3 cards, you have not enough cards left to fulfill the "reveal 4 cards from your deck", so you select one card from your discard, shuffle the remaining ones, put your seletcted card on top of the shuffled ones and put all of them under the 3 remaining cards in your deck. Then you reveal the top 4 cards, the 4th of which would be the one you selected with Star Chart.

MrFrog

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrFrog
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 03:24:31 am »
+1

Citadel + King's Court is just crazy.

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 03:29:55 am »

Also I just noticed that Citadel doesn't have a Duration clause even though the set will have Duration cards. No worries about tracking issues this time around?

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 03:35:34 am »
+1

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 03:36:21 am »
+1

You can't buy the same project twice, right?

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 03:42:51 am »

So Citadel is almost the same as a Princed Throne Room. But not quite, I think. With a Princed Throne Room you have some flexibility over when you play the Throne Room relative to other start-of-turn abilities. Citadel is like a Princed Throne Room that has to go first always.

EDIT: Actually, I got that quite wrong!
Princed Throne Room lets you play an action card twice without using an action each turn, whereas with Citadel you still have to use an action each turn.
And a further difference is that Citadel works fine with durations.
So they're quite different.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 05:23:39 am by infangthief »

Malta1978

• Pawn
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 03:44:26 am »

Fair with Peddler in the Kingdom was definitely worth paying 4 for! :-)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 04:01:26 am »
+7

So, Fair, you pay your $4, you put a cube on Fair, every turn from now on you have +1 Buy. Get it?

Sounds fair.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1664
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 04:03:42 am »
+1

I like these. Star Chart looks especially fun.

Is there a mistake in the Silos wording shown? It doesn't make sense.

The wording for Citadel is also a little weird. Why does it have the word "afterwards"? If it's just after you play it the first time, why not just say "Play it again"?

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 04:08:20 am »
+1

These projects look really impactful!

Now I'm wondering what's the most abusive card to play during your buy phase.  I guess it only works once, so you can't do something like, buy a bunch of Death Carts to pile out ruins.

By default when you discard a bunch of cards together, you don't have to reveal them.  So for accountability reasons, Silo tells you to reveal the copper.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 04:09:19 am »
+1

No? You discard a bunch of Coppers, reveal them, and draw that many cards.

The wording for Citadel is also a little weird. Why does it have the word "afterwards"? If it's just after you play it the first time, why not just say "Play it again"?

Because it wouldn't happen afterwards unless it said so.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jmjjmj

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 04:09:48 am »

Does sewers not give a +2 after playing priest?

cmb

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 04:10:23 am »

Is Innovation working properly in the preview? If I gain a Witch, it will draw two cards and deal a curse, but then - even if I have extra actions and buys - I can't play actions or treasures that I draw.

That seems to make some amount of sense, but it's far more limited of an effect than I guessed for $6.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.