Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Did he lose because of Doctor?  (Read 1996 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Did he lose because of Doctor?
« on: December 09, 2013, 09:45:22 am »
+1

In this game I tried a Duke/Duchy game with Hunting Party. I won 43 to 21vp, but my opponent claimed the only reason he lost was because he misclicked Doctor when he had $8. But even if he had bought another Duke, I had more Duchies, so I don't know where he got that...

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20131209/log.51467e35e4b0de86766bf3f3.1386599493871.txt
(Just the regular old goko log)

Also I wanted to know if Counterfeit was the right open. I think it was, but I had trouble hitting $10 sometimes, so maybe I could have added something extra to my deck? I did buy a Death Cart near the end and that worked out, but I was afraid maybe the extra names would stop my Hunting Parties.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: Did he lose because of Doctor?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 12:21:12 pm »
+1

Code: [Select]
Doctor, Great Hall, Shanty Town, Philosopher's Stone, Death Cart, Smithy, Counterfeit, Duke, Hunting Party, Stables
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 12:27:58 pm »

Doctor was a bad buy.  It took up a unique action slot for HP and provided no use for trashing.  To way it lost him the game is a bit much I think.  Counterfeit is one of the top $5 cards in the game.  It's hard to pass on it for the opening buy especially with 5/2.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 12:43:10 pm »

Also I wanted to know if Counterfeit was the right open. I think it was
Had you opened 5/2 instead of 2/5 opening doctor would have been tempting because it can let you trash your estates and also not have the non-buy T2.  However, with the 2/5 opening I think counterfeit was the correct decision.  Getting a hunting party that early would have helped with cycling, but the counterfeit is more important here to me.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 12:48:55 pm »

Doctor was a bad buy.  It took up a unique action slot for HP and provided no use for trashing.  To way it lost him the game is a bit much I think.  Counterfeit is one of the top $5 cards in the game.  It's hard to pass on it for the opening buy especially with 5/2.

Thanks for putting up the card images. :)

I know it was a bad buy for him, but he also spent time with Smithy and Shanty Town. I know he started 4-3, but I would have opened for Smithy+Silver instead.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 02:53:02 pm »

Thanks for putting up the card images. :)

I know it was a bad buy for him, but he also spent time with Smithy and Shanty Town. I know he started 4-3, but I would have opened for Smithy+Silver instead.
Yeah, I'd probably open the same way. it gets you to Counterfeit much faster and can help you get a big turn for Doctor overpay in case you'd want to do that (Doctor doesn't appeal to me much here though). If you want Shanty Town, you can get it later with the + buy from Counterfeit, but why would you want it here anyway? It can be a burden if you ever decide to get Death Carts, and with both Hunting Party and Stables for draw you'd be fine just sticking with 1 Smithy to make sure you draw Counterfeit or 1 Death Cart to help get a double Duke/Duchy buy.

Anyway, Counterfeit has to be a key card here, and the first $5 that you buy.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 03:49:17 pm »

Not sure if Counterfeit is actually key here.  The main function of Counterfeit is to clear out Coppers, but in a Duke game you actually like the Coppers.  OTOH, +Buy from Counterfeit means it will never actually hurt you that way.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 05:08:52 pm »

Not sure if Counterfeit is actually key here.  The main function of Counterfeit is to clear out Coppers, but in a Duke game you actually like the Coppers.  OTOH, +Buy from Counterfeit means it will never actually hurt you that way.

But the goal was to easily be able to get Hunting Parties, which it did do. I was still able to get 2 Duchys/Dukes by the end of the game even without the Coppers.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 05:09:06 pm »

There's no obvious Duke enabler here like Horse Traders, so you want to build up a little before diving into Dukes and Duchies. Counterfeit's light trashing is just what you need to help this along. Afterwards, it can be used as a Copper with +buy, and in fact it was used as a +buy Copper later in that game.

But yeah, there is some room for doubt I guess.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.954 seconds with 21 queries.