Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card Template for Photoshop v2.1  (Read 10298 times)

Showdown35

• Golem
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
Fan Card Template for Photoshop v2.1
« on: September 27, 2013, 10:26:52 pm »
+9

Hello again friends,

Sorry to create a new topic for this template once again, but I felt it necessary that this new Version have it's own topic as it will likely remain the latest version for quite some time.

If you would like to see the posts from the previous version, here's the thread: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9491.0

Now, on to the update.  This should just about be the be-all and end-all of templates as it allows you to do just about anything you want to a Dominion Fan Card.  Check the preview pic for the new features, and please let me know if there's anything else you think can be changed or added to make this Template even better.  (I don't plan on doing a set of multi-type cards for curses, as in an Action-Curse, or Treasure-Curse template, although a cursed treasure does sound pretty intriguing. Maybe that will be in version 2.2 in the future...)

Here's a link to a zip file with the Template and Read-Me/Guide: www.scon.comze.com/Showdown35-DFCT.zip

And if you want the Basic Card Template shown in the preview, it's here: www.scon.comze.com/BasicTempv2-1.psd

Keep on making Fan Cards and rocking the greatest board/card game ever made!

Thanks,
Showdown35
Check out my Dominion Fan Card Template for Photoshop  here

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Template for Photoshop v2.1
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 12:55:51 am »

You know, I said DON'T make a Curse template. :P

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 12:58:21 am »

Will this allow me to make a Treasure-Action-Attack-Looter-Curse type card?

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 10:01:29 am »

Haha, if you really wanted to I suppose... although it would be tough to get 3 colors onto one card type... wait... Treasure Action?? Then you'd have to decide whether to play it as an Action OR as a Treasure... intriguing!  Also, I did not create templates for multi-card types for Curses, so you'd have to blend the Curse template with any other type on your own. As I am not condoning using the Curse type, I felt it best to leave the multi type curses tough to accomplish.

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 10:04:29 am »
+1

Hey, I did say "beware it's use" in the preview pic!

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 01:21:40 pm »

Hey, I did say "beware it's use" in the preview pic!
Just poking a little fun.  :)

But thanks for doing this. It seems like it took quite the effort!

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 08:33:47 pm »
+1

I decided to try this out since you included a read me.  Then the read me states that you assume prior of knowledge of photoshop, in particular whatever "layers" are  :(

Edit:  Also, I can't figure out how to do the "Save as..." step.  It is telling me that saving failed.

2nd Edit:  And what does it mean to download a font?  There's no explanation.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 08:40:19 pm by SirPeebles »
Well you *do* need a signature...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 11:01:56 pm »
+1

I decided to try this out since you included a read me.  Then the read me states that you assume prior of knowledge of photoshop, in particular whatever "layers" are  :(

Edit:  Also, I can't figure out how to do the "Save as..." step.  It is telling me that saving failed.

2nd Edit:  And what does it mean to download a font?  There's no explanation.

I'm not sure how serious you are.  Do you have Photoshop?

Downloading a font is... pretty self-explanatory?  Fonts come in files (I think the most common format is .TTF but there are others) and they have to be installed on each computer system.  Most systems have a decent selection pre-installed.  If your system doesn't have the font, you'll have to download it and install it in order to use it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 11:33:33 pm »

Just checked out the template myself.  Photoshop tells me that "Some text layers might need to be updated before they can be used for vector based output."  I think that it's probably due to different versions of Photoshop, though I thought older versions used vectors for text layers too.  Weird.

Updating the text layers (which is necessary in order to edit them) causes some layout changes.
(Edit: given the rather stringent layout of *A* and *B* things, this might be a bit annoying to fix. :P)

Looking through the template...

Why are there layers for *A* and *B*?  For example, there are two Card Cost layers but they look about the same.  (Note: I figured it out later on in this post...)

For the Potion cost, the "covers" for various card types seems like a clunky way to do it.  The easier way would be to have a single layer with the blank coin background, and have each card type background have those "covers" by default.  So most of the time, you would just turn on the coin background layer for your cost, but you would switch it with the Potion image if the card cost Potion.

Hmm... looking at the card type templates themselves, I see that some are marked *A* and some *B*.  I get it.  Weird that those different templates are shifted like that.  With this knowledge, I would recommend reorganizing all the *A* and *B* layers elsewhere in the file.  Right now, you have it organized like this:

Base Card Text (group -- you call them "sets" in your guide)
- *A* Card Cost
- *B* Card Cost
- *A* Card Type Line
- *B* Card Type Line

But it would be easier to use if it were like this:

Base Card Text (group)
- *A* layers (sub-group)
-- *A* Card Cost
-- *A* Card Type Line
- *B* layers (sub-group)
-- *B* Card Cost
-- *B* Card Type Line

This way, you can turn on or off all the relevant layers at once instead of having to go through and change the visibility of each one.

I hope you get what I mean.  When I have some time in the future and/or I want to make a new card image, I'll go about messing with the organization to suit my own use. :)

Also, the multiple text layers for the card text that just have different formatting... it might be excessive, especially because some cards might need custom formatting anyway.  But I haven't really looked carefully at what you provided; it might be handy in general. :)

In the "Finishing Up" section of your guide, you instruct using "Save As".  If you are saving as an image, my understanding is that it's better to use "Save for Web & Devices".  Also, instead of flattening the image, I recommend just copying everything into a new file:

Ctrl+A (select the entire canvas)
Ctrl+Shift+C (merged copy)
Ctrl+N (new file, which should have dimensions already adjusted)
Ctrl+V (paste, which should by default go into a new layer)

The new layer will preserve transparency and you don't have to worry about accidentally saving over the original file after you've flattened out all the layers.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:35:45 pm by eHalcyon »

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 12:21:51 am »
+1

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate you taking a look at the Template and taking the time to post some constructive criticism.  I did ask for comments and ideas to make it better after all!

SirPeeples, I apologize that my readme didn't help you as much as you had hoped. The way I figured it would work best was if you did a little experimenting woth photoshop, and possobly a quick google search for quick tutorials on how to use it, then my guide would walk you through how to use the template itself. Rather than me trying to put the basics of photoshop into a readme. I put in there that you would need to understand how layers work so you would know what to look for in a quick photoshop tutorial.

The fonts you need to download and install are listed in the readme.  Trajan Pro and Minion Pro Bold are the two you need. Just search for the fonts (eg. "Trajan Pro free font") and download the files, then you just have to drag and drop them into your Windows/Fonts folder. Make sure you open photoshop AFTER installing fonts or they won't be there.  Note that the readme doesn't mention Minion Pro Bold, Just Minion Pro. I will add this to the readme in future versions
 I believe only the basic card template uses the bold anyway.

I did think about having all the card type templates "covered" and just having a coin layer that would be visible most of the time. I did have a reason for not doing it that way I just don't remember what it was! I'll post once I remember.

I like your idea, eHalcyon, for organizing the *A* and *B* layers seperately. Might almost be worth it to have two duplicate copies of each full set affected, and the sets labeled as *A* or *B* to make it easier. Oh, and (at least in my version of photoshop) you can't do sub-groups of layers! I tried doing sub-groups for this very reason, but I couldn't create a new group within an exsisting group.

The multiple text layers are there because, with all the different rules and symbols and everything on the many many real life Dominion cards, there are actually only three different formats for text. Vanilla Bonuses in a slightly larger bold font, normal rules text in regular font with around 1.5 paragraph line spacing, and rules text that includes symbols, which is regular font with a little more line spacing. If there's a lot of text with symbols, then they just squeeze the symbols into the 1.5 line spacing, but only if its needed to fit all the text on the card. I couldn't think of an easier way to provide all the formatting that may be needed since there are so many combinations of text formatting that may be used depending on the card.

There are many different ways to save files in photoshop, I wanted the readme to offer the simplist way and make it similar to saving a document in a word processor. Your method that you posted is definitely a good way of accomplishing it, I just worry about everyone understanding.

Thanks again for the feedback, I'll take it all in and try to improve the Template as much as possible. And I'll be sure to figure out why I did the single potion cost covers the way I did next time I'm at my pc editing the template (using my phone to write this).

Thanks!
Showdown35

maduka

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 08:17:32 pm »

i think this should be pinned or linked to in the read about fan cards thingy..
maybe it is.. but its not unlike me to make a fool out of my self with this being the first repl ive made since i registerd for this site...  ???

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 01:00:05 pm »

I did think about having all the card type templates "covered" and just having a coin layer that would be visible most of the time. I did have a reason for not doing it that way I just don't remember what it was! I'll post once I remember.

My guess is that it makes it easy to paste a rescaled Coin cost emblem anywhere that costs are referenced. Though I guess an invisible layer with all common symbols would make more sense, so I don't know...
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 08:34:16 pm »

Ooh, it looks like these files work with Gimp, in case anybody was interested.

Also, a question: for those of us who don't have the time to learn basic Photoshop skills, what's your policy on commissions?

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 09:56:49 pm »
+1

Ooh, it looks like these files work with Gimp, in case anybody was interested.

Also, a question: for those of us who don't have the time to learn basic Photoshop skills, what's your policy on commissions?

As in, you send me the specs and I send you the completed card?  $10 a card.

Totally kidding, I'm glad to make a card for anyone! I'll even try to match your card with a nice piece of art if you don't have one picked out!

Just PM or email me (in the template readme), include the card specs, and a link or file for your art (if you have any) and the artists name when possible. I can PM or email you back with the .psd file (photoshop file) or the card as a .png or .jpg, or pretty much any picture file format you wish. All I ask is a simple Thank You in return!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 10:58:24 pm by Showdown35 »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 10:10:01 pm »
+2

You probably don't want your email address visible in an easy to find way on a forum - it's how spambots get a hold of lots of their email addresses. Just a heads up.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 10:57:52 pm »

You probably don't want your email address visible in an easy to find way on a forum - it's how spambots get a hold of lots of their email addresses. Just a heads up.

Good point... I never use the same password for forums and email... that's probably the worst thing you can do... I'll hide that email from the earlier post. If you need my email addy, its in my template readme.

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 06:15:06 pm »

Totally kidding, I'm glad to make a card for anyone! I'll even try to match your card with a nice piece of art if you don't have one picked out!

Just PM or email me (in the template readme), include the card specs, and a link or file for your art (if you have any) and the artists name when possible. I can PM or email you back with the .psd file (photoshop file) or the card as a .png or .jpg, or pretty much any picture file format you wish. All I ask is a simple Thank You in return!
PMed the simple thank you already but once more so everyone can see: OP delivers! He even found the image, which fits the one I had picked out, but looks way more like official card art.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.216 seconds with 21 queries.