Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Showdown35 Presents: Dominion Fan Card Template v2.0 for Photoshop  (Read 5704 times)

Showdown35

• Golem
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
Showdown35 Presents: Dominion Fan Card Template v2.0 for Photoshop
« on: September 24, 2013, 12:37:03 am »
+6

Hello All,

Thanks to some very high quality images from Goko (provided to me by hsiale, thanks again!), I was able to create a template for creating Fan Cards which I believe is the best, and closest to perfect template available (especially for Photoshop users).  I did lots of searching, and wasn't able to find anything even close to a comprehensive card template, so I wanted to provide one to the Dominion community.

I have also created an in-depth Read-Me/Guide to go along with the template which takes you step-by-step through the template and how to use it (assuming you have some basic Photoshop knowledge, or learn quickly).

The Template is available here: www.scon.comze.com/Showdown35-DFCT.zip

There is a preview attached below, and yes, the template has graphics for every card type that has been published!

Version 2.1 will be released in the future, with the focus being able to do a card that cost a single potion with no coin symbol, and be able to do that on any card type.

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I enjoyed putting it all together.  Please check out the Read-Me before really using the template.  It's kinda long, but there's some valuable info in there that may save you time later on.

Thank You,
Showdown35
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:40:03 am by Showdown35 »
Check out my Dominion Fan Card Template for Photoshop  here

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Showdown35 Presents: Dominion Fan Card Template v2.0 for Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 02:12:39 am »

I will definitely check it out at some point in the future (probably not for a week at least though).  Some questions:

- what version of Photoshop was this made in, and is backwards compatibility turned on for the PSD?  I'm not sure what features of Photoshop don't work well through backwards compatibility.  I use CS3.
- do you also have all the various symbols (coin, VP, potion) on separate layers, ready to be dropped in where needed?
- are the card types directly on the template images, or are the bars blank for you to fill in the types yourself?  The latter is more difficult to do (clone stamp ahoy) but it's better for people who want to create their own types (a la Knights).
- if you have a template for Curse (just guessing, because you might be thorough) you should remove it.  That type of behavior shouldn't be encouraged. ;)

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 03:35:38 am »

- are the card types directly on the template images, or are the bars blank for you to fill in the types yourself?  The latter is more difficult to do (clone stamp ahoy) but it's better for people who want to create their own types (a la Knights).
Or for people who want to create their cards in a language other than English (me included, the first reason why I even started downloading Goko graphics was because I want to have full official Dominion set in Polish and it will not be published anytime soon).
- if you have a template for Curse (just guessing, because you might be thorough) you should remove it.  That type of behavior shouldn't be encouraged. ;)
I see one use for a Curse template with a standard card layout. The base game or Intrigue Curse looks bad because it has no art. The Base Cards Curse is hard to use because the sign "-1 VP" is small. For me the perfect Curse would look just like any other card, with some place used for art and a standard size text box (the same applies to other base cards but templates are already there because of kindom treasure or victory cards).

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 08:40:39 am »

Hi eHalcyon,

I have an older version of Photoshop so compatibility shouldn't be a problem. The template uses pretty basic functions of Photoshop that have always been a part of it.

Yes, all symbols are on seperate layers, can be moved around and duplicated easily.

Card type line (the text) is seperate from the card graphics, making them fully editable. If you want to make a blue treasure-victory-knight card (for some strange reason) you can do it! Fortunately,  the Goko images had blank card backgrounds, eliminating the need for clone stamp! And yes, you could change all the text to a different language, although changing the font may mess up alignment.

I didn't add a template for basic cards (and no curse with art template) this is something I may add to a future version.
I suppose you could call this a kingdom card template, and since there is no official curse kingdom card published, there is no template for it. This would be a background I would have to manually create as there is no Goko image for it. Not something I'm opposed to doing, just wanted to release the template sooner, knowing I can add it in a later version.

Any other questions are welcome.

Thanks!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 09:48:14 am »

Neato.
I have my own version of this, which used a special layer for secondary type colors though, so i could just make it cover a part of the main type card - instead of having one full template for each combination of types. I always felt it looked kinda off though, especially the text and some of the colours. Also the template was a bit askew. Yours looks like a cleaner, more professional option, and i really appreciate it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 10:48:31 am »

I wonder if it is possible to make an MSE template with these.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 01:02:04 pm »

I wonder if it is possible to make an MSE template with these.

I have wondered this myself, as it would make it much easier than using photoshop... Although since Dominion has so many different combinations of different sized symbols, vanilla bonuses (in larger font), and regular text, not to mention a separation line on some cards, it would make it very difficult to code the program to automatically format the card to look it's best.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.556 seconds with 20 queries.