Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #A: Prize Card  (Read 39425 times)

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #A: Prize Card
« on: November 08, 2013, 10:55:54 am »
+3

This additional special contest is to design a new Prize card!

Submission Rules

• Submit no more than one card per challenge.
• You are not obligated to submit a card for every challenge.
• Submit your card to me via this forum's messaging system.  Submissions made after each week's deadline cannot be accepted.
• Each card you submit must have a name, a cost, a list of types, and the exact wording that should appear on the card.  Also include a brief description of any special design considerations (e.g., Stash having a unique back), but do NOT include any other information, such as strategic commentary or examples about it would play.
• Unlike the previous set design contest, the name you give your card will appear on the ballot. If multiple cards with the same name are submitted, I will differentiate them with letters in a randomly chosen order, e.g. [Card Name] A, [Card Name] B, etc. Cards themselves will likewise be listed in a random order on the ballot.
• I will accept revisions to your contest entries provided they are submitted to me before the deadline.  If you submit a revision to an entry you have previously submitted to me, resubmit your revised card(s) in their entirety.  That is, don't tell me "Oh, can you make that +2 Cards say +3 Cards instead?"  Just resubmit the full card.
• Only submit cards that are your own design.
• You may submit cards that have been previously posted here in this forum, including those that have been refined by the community as a whole, provided you can still claim that the central conceit of the card -- and the majority of its final version -- is yours.
• A single card might conceivably qualify for multiple challenges within this series. If your card doesn't win the first challenge you submit it to, you may submit it for any and all future challenges (until it wins), provided the card fits those challenges. This is particularly pertinent for cards that don't win the first of two slots for a large expansion, although depending on which card does win, your card may not qualify for the second challenge.
• Do not disclose your submissions publicly, either in this thread or elsewhere!

For this Treasure Chest set, you may not submit cards that combine certain mechanics from multiple expansions. The idea is that you could simply slot the cards into their respective sets without needing components or rules specific to another set. Specifically:

• Duration cards may only be submitted as candidates for a Seaside slot.
• Potion-cost cards may only be submitted as candidates for the Alchemy slot.
• Cards that use VP tokens or cost $7 or more may only be submitted as candidates for a Prosperity slot.
• Cards that use Coin tokens and cards that use overpay may only be submitted as candidates for the Guilds slot.
• Cards that use Ruins (Looters) and cards that use Spoils may only be submitted as candidates for a Dark Ages slot.

Many mechanics are fair game for any submission. The following is an incomplete list.

• Victory/Action and Victory/Treasure hybrid cards.
• Cards that allow you to choose an ability from a list.
• Cards with on-buy, would-gain, on-gain, and on-trash abilities.

Challenge #A: Prize

Design a new Prize card that can be gained via Tournament. Ideally a new Prize card will be sufficiently different from existing Prize cards.

The deadline for this contest is Sunday November 17th, 2013.

If you have any questions, please post them here or send me a private message and I will endeavor to answer them in a timely manner. Good luck!

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure Chest Design Contest — Card #A: Prize Card
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 10:56:26 am »
+4

Favour
Types: Action – Prize
Cost: $0*
You may return this to the Prize pile. If you do, +5 Cards and trash any number of cards from your hand.

Wizard
If this is the first Action card you played this turn, +3 Cards and +1 Action. Otherwise, +1 Card and +3 Actions.

Shield of Virtue
Types: Action – Reaction – Prize
+1 Card. +1 Action. Look through your discard pile. You may trash a card from your hand or your discard pile.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

Rusty the Donkey
+4 Actions. Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: Gain a card with cost up to the number of unused Actions you have (Actions, not Action cards); or gain a card costing up to $4 more than the trashed card; or gain two cards each costing up to $2 more than the trashed card.

Servicemen
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card, putting it into your hand.

Wishing Ring
+1 Action. Choose an Action card from the Supply and play it.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this. If you do, choose one: Gain a copy of the Attack card, putting it into your hand and this card onto your deck; or you are not affected by the Attack.

Jousting Rod
+1 Action. Gain an Action card costing up to $5, putting it into your hand.

When another player plays a Tournament, you may discard this. If you do, gain 2 Action cards each costing up to $5, putting them into your hand.

Grace of the King
+1 Action. While this is in play, when you play an Action card the first time this turn, play it again.

Clarification: This affects each individual card, not just each differently named card. So if you played this and played a Village (twice), then played another Village, you would also play that second Village twice.

Parade (A)
Discard any number of cards. +2 Cards per card discarded.

When you have no Actions left during your Action phase, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, +3 Actions.

Advertiser
Types: Aciton – Prize
+1 Action. +$2. Reveal up to 2 Action cards from your hand. For each card revealed this way, gain a copy of it.

Remote Holding
Types: Action – Victory – Prize
+3 Cards. +1 Buy. You may trash a card from your hand.

Worth 30 VP if you have no other Victory or Prize cards in your deck.

Heroic Epic
Cost: $12*
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1.

When you reveal this card, you may name any number of types and card names.  This card has all of those types and card names until the end of the turn (and none of its former types and names).

Parade (B)
Types: Victory – Reaction – Prize
Worth 1 VP plus 1 VP for every Prize in your deck.

When another player plays a Prize, you may discard this. If you do, gain that Prize when it is discarded from play, putting it on top of your deck.

Signet Ring
Types: Treasure – Prize
Worth $0. +1 Buy. When you play this, you may discard a card that is not a Victory card; +$ equal to its cost. You may discard a Victory card; +$ equal to half its cost (rounded down).

ECF Council
Types: Victory – Prize
Worth 1 VP per Tournament in your deck.

Magic Lamp
Gain an Action card costing up to $4. Play it.

Jubilee
You may return this to the Prize pile. If you do, choose an Action card in your hand and play it five times.

Faithful Hound
+1 Action. Name two cards. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a copy of the first named card; put it into your hand. Put all revealed copies of the second named card on your deck. Discard the rest.

Blessing
Look through your discard pile. Trash any number of cards from it.

Liege
+2 Buys. While this is in play, when you buy a Copper, you may trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.

King's Favor
+1 Action. +1 Card per Tournament you have in play.

While this is in play, when you play a Tournament, +1 Card and +$1.

Ringmaster
Types: Action – Attack – Prize
+$2. Each other player reveals the top 3 cards of his deck, trashes a revealed Treasure card, discards the revealed Action cards, and puts the rest back in any order.

Fortune
Gain up to 4 Coppers, putting them into your hand. Reveal your hand. Reveal one card from your deck per Copper in your hand; put one of them that you choose into your hand and discard the rest.

While this is in play, you may not play Action cards from your hand.

Shield
+3 Cards.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, draw until you have 6 cards in hand and you are unaffected by that Attack.

Golden Hammer
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $4 more than it.

Stalwart Mule
+4 Actions. Gain a card costing up to $1 per unused Action you have (Action, not Action card).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 11:03:39 am by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 10:56:35 am »
+1

Magic LampLastFootnote13
Stalwart Mulenopawnsintended13
Servicemendnkywin11
WizardRobz8889
Golden Hammerangrybirds9
FavourConMan8
Shieldyuma8
Parade (A)Schneau7
Shield of VirtuePolk54406
Signet RingHeavyD6
JubileeNoMoreFun6
LiegeJean Michel6
RingmasterKingZog36
Rusty the Donkeynopawnsintended5
Faithful HoundA Drowned Kernel5
Remote Holdingnicrosil4
BlessingXerxesPraelor4
King’s Favorsoulnet4
Heroic Epicjamespotter3
Jousting Rodignorentmen2
Grace of the KingGwinnR2
Advertisermarkusin2
Wishing Ringandwilk1
Parade (B)RobertJ1
ECF CouncilJack Rudd1
FortuneGuy Srinivasan1
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:52:17 pm by LastFootnote »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 12:23:51 pm »

tag
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 06:23:56 pm »

Hopefully we get some really crazy submissions for this.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 06:33:28 pm »

There are a lot of unique things you can only do on a card that there's only one of.

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 08:00:23 pm »

I'm hoping Palanquin makes an appearance. It sounded like a really fun card, just a little too scary in large quantities.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 04:23:22 am »

How many winners will this contest have? Just one?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 09:51:45 am »

Huh, that's a good question. One winner unless I change my mind.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 08:16:40 pm »
+3

And will the winner of this challenge have a prize ?
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 12:55:03 am »

Do the normal restrictions on not allowing mechanics from other sets still apply? Can I have my Looter - Prize?

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 01:01:15 am »

Can I have my Looter - Prize?
Please don't.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 01:01:45 am »

Do the normal restrictions on not allowing mechanics from other sets still apply? Can I have my Looter - Prize?

(Looter–Prize is obviously a nonstarter because it would in effect make Tournament itself a Looter. Duration–Prize would be a better question.)

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 01:18:45 am »

(Looter–Prize is obviously a nonstarter because it would in effect make Tournament itself a Looter. Duration–Prize would be a better question.)
I'm not *actually* thinking Looter-Prize, but I'd say that it wouldn't directly affect Tournament's type in the same way I wouldn't expect Urchin to become a Looter if Mercenary was one. That said, I don't think I'll wind up using a specific other-set mechanic, but might do something that has a bit of another set's theme.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 01:37:01 am »

I'm not *actually* thinking Looter-Prize, but I'd say that it wouldn't directly affect Tournament's type in the same way I wouldn't expect Urchin to become a Looter if Mercenary was one. That said, I don't think I'll wind up using a specific other-set mechanic, but might do something that has a bit of another set's theme.

I mean, it wouldn't affect Tournament's type in that it wouldn't cause the word "Looter" to magically appear on the bottom of the card. But it would mean that if Tournament is in the supply, Ruins are in the supply, so it's a Looter in effect.

MrFrog

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrFrog
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 02:32:57 am »

Is that true? If no other Looters are in the game, there wouldn't be any Ruins, because Prizes are not in the supply.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 08:10:43 am »

Huh, that's a good question. One winner unless I change my mind.

However many slots there are left when all's done?

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 10:18:14 am »
+1

Is that true? If no other Looters are in the game, there wouldn't be any Ruins, because Prizes are not in the supply.

Ruins are also in the supply if a Looter is in the Black Market deck. Since Tournament is essentially a Black Market variant, I infer that the same applies if a Looter is in the Prize pile.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 11:03:17 am »
+4

For this contest, I'm going to be consistent and say that you can't use mechanics specific to other sets for your Prize card. So no Action–Duration–Prize, etc.

Also, even if we have 5 slots open, I'm likely to only allow one Prize, since the larger the Prize pile is, the longer it takes to figure out which Prize to gain when you win a Tournament. I suppose we could have 5 new Prizes and add a rule such that you only put 5 randomly selected Prizes in the pile for each game. I could be convinced of that if we actually have 5 great submissions.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:17:53 pm by LastFootnote »

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 05:13:02 pm »

I mean, it wouldn't affect Tournament's type in that it wouldn't cause the word "Looter" to magically appear on the bottom of the card. But it would mean that if Tournament is in the supply, Ruins are in the supply, so it's a Looter in effect.
Ok, I concede your point. And that would indeed do strange things depending on how extra Prizes worked - for example, if you randomly chose 5 of the Prizes to be available, then Tournament would sometimes require Ruins and sometimes wouldn't. Well, the point is moot for this contest, but it's worth keeping in mind for other fan card things.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 08:08:16 pm »
+2

I really think that we should have a "rule" that 5 prizes are chosen randomly to play with each game.  ("Rule" in quotes because obviously it can't be enforced, people will play however they want, but I think it should be the standard.)  If we make a sixth prize and make all six prizes available in every game with Tournament, then either we make the prize weak enough so as not to overshadow Followers and Trusty Steed, in which case it doesn't affect the game much, or it's a competitor for Followers and Trusty Steed, in which case Tournament gets a buff that I think we can all agree it really doesn't need.  On the other hand, if we pick five randomly each game from however many we end up with total, then Tournament gets a bit of a nerf, which is nice, and more variety from game to game, which is fun and interesting.

That being said, I think it makes sense to have more than one winner, and to choose the number of winners based on how the votes fall and how many extra slots are left of the 150 cards.  (For example if the top cards are like 20 votes for A, 18 votes for B, then 9 votes for C and D, then everything else less than 9 votes, and we only have three slots left, probably you wouldn't call C or D a winner because there's a clear gap between second and third place, plus it's a tie for third, so you would just have two prizes and an extra blank card.)  Of course then there's kind of an awkward pause for second place potential winners, where they have to wait until the end of the entire contest before finding out if their prize wins.  Maybe it would be better to just declare some number of winners based on the votes, and let that determine how many victory cards are allowed in the set.

Nic

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 09:48:47 pm »

I really think that we should have a "rule" that 5 prizes are chosen randomly to play with each game.  ("Rule" in quotes because obviously it can't be enforced, people will play however they want, but I think it should be the standard.)  If we make a sixth prize and make all six prizes available in every game with Tournament, then either we make the prize weak enough so as not to overshadow Followers and Trusty Steed, in which case it doesn't affect the game much, or it's a competitor for Followers and Trusty Steed, in which case Tournament gets a buff that I think we can all agree it really doesn't need.  On the other hand, if we pick five randomly each game from however many we end up with total, then Tournament gets a bit of a nerf, which is nice, and more variety from game to game, which is fun and interesting.
  This. The more we throw in, the more games we get without Trusty Steed in the prize pile, and that I'm all in favor of.

That being said, I think it makes sense to have more than one winner, and to choose the number of winners based on how the votes fall and how many extra slots are left of the 150 cards.  (For example if the top cards are like 20 votes for A, 18 votes for B, then 9 votes for C and D, then everything else less than 9 votes, and we only have three slots left, probably you wouldn't call C or D a winner because there's a clear gap between second and third place, plus it's a tie for third, so you would just have two prizes and an extra blank card.)  Of course then there's kind of an awkward pause for second place potential winners, where they have to wait until the end of the entire contest before finding out if their prize wins.  Maybe it would be better to just declare some number of winners based on the votes, and let that determine how many victory cards are allowed in the set.
  That's a possibility, but I don't see any implementation of that going over well. If the cutoff depends on the actual votes after they're counted, then there's no way to keep it from feeling capricious or arbitrary. What I'd be in favor of (and actually something I'd like to see for all the contests) is to have the second place card get commemorated as well. Nothing fancy, but when we put up the card list on a sticky, post the winner and the Honorable Mention next to it.

I guess I really should've started a new thread for this, but every contest since Hinterlands has been incredibly close, and we've seen a lot of ties. In several of those contests, the second place finisher would have a serious handicap if it was submitted again. I'm warming up to Observatory, but it still doesn't look to good when compared with Mortuary, which has already won. Renovate is a really good card with one really bad interaction, and the cleanest way to fix it would be to make it into a Duration or something similar. But since Recycle won the Seaside contest, nobody's going to give the last Seaside slot to another Duration (or just gain-to-hand) Remodel variant. It's going to be kind of a big deal now that we're seeing the one-shot contests, which are also going to be the most popular. Once the losing cards have no chance of winning any more contests, voting will get even more contentious.

It's no big deal in the long run, and there's no need to decide until after the contest winners are posted, but the 2-3 top cards each round have consistently been of equal quality. If the second place cards can't make it into the box, they should still be recognized.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 09:49:35 am »
+2

Try to submit cards that could not otherwise fit into any design space.  The Prize pile is for those misfit cards that are either hard/impossible to price or can't scale up in a 10-card supply pile.  The current set of 5 does that fairly well with the exception of a power disparity in Followers/Trusty Steed, but nonetheless, there are situations where any prize can shine.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

HeavyD

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 11:48:05 am »
+1

Ideally a new Prize card will be sufficiently different from existing Prize cards.

I'm sure some (or maybe most) will disagree with me on this. As I am trying to brainstorm ideas for a Prize card, I'd like that to rule out the following:
Gold Gainer (Or even just Gainer) Prize ---- Bag of Gold
Treasure Card (Or benefit extra actions) Prize ---- Diadem
Attack Card Prize ---- Followers
Cost Reducer Prize ---- Princess
Vanilla Bonuses Prize ---- Trusty Steed

I wouldn't totally taboo treasure and attacks, but the need to be way different, very interesting, and stand up to the standard of Followers and Diadem.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 01:26:00 pm »

Ideally a new Prize card will be sufficiently different from existing Prize cards.

I'm sure some (or maybe most) will disagree with me on this. As I am trying to brainstorm ideas for a Prize card, I'd like that to rule out the following:

I wouldn't totally taboo treasure and attacks, but the need to be way different, very interesting, and stand up to the standard of Followers and Diadem.

I definitely wouldn't agree with the no attacks or no treasure things... it seems just as reasonable to say "no non-attack actions; we already have 3 prizes that do that" as it does to say "no attack actions; we already have 1 prize that does that." Every action card needs to be chosen whether it's going to be an attack or not; I don't think of non-attack as the default. (Though of course you don't want the game to be mostly attacks; but 2 out of 6 cards being attacks doesn't seem like overkill at all).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 02:35:02 pm »
+1

A new treasure-prize should probably be drastically different than Diadem. For example, you could make a treasure-prize that's actually useful!
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 02:49:51 pm »
+2

I think the tragedy of Diadem is that you need to build a deck to take advantage of it, but you can't afford to build such a deck when there's no guarantee you'll even get Diadem.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 02:57:11 pm »

I definitely wouldn't agree with the no attacks or no treasure things... it seems just as reasonable to say "no non-attack actions; we already have 3 prizes that do that" as it does to say "no attack actions; we already have 1 prize that does that." Every action card needs to be chosen whether it's going to be an attack or not; I don't think of non-attack as the default. (Though of course you don't want the game to be mostly attacks; but 2 out of 6 cards being attacks doesn't seem like overkill at all).

This, and I also disagree with almost all the rest. Being a Treasure, or an Attack, or having lots of Vainilla bonuses (not all, btw) is not the most defining thing about the Prizes, but just a way to implement them. I agree that cost-reduction is the main thing about Princess, so another Prize with cost-reduction would probably feel similar. But there are plenty of examples of two cards being Attacks/Treasures/Vainilla/Gainers that play totally different (examples of the top of my head: Minion-Witch/Bank-Hoard/Grand Market-Hunting Grounds/Transmute-Tunnel). Even Bridge and Highway are plenty different, although not as much.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 03:03:29 pm »

I agree with HeavyD. If we're going to have 10 Prizes total, I could easily accept another Attack or Treasure. But I think we should avoid another cost-reduction prize, choose-two prize, or Gold-gaining Prize. There are so many other directions to go. A remodeler? A gainer?

On a related topic, a Victory–Prize is certainly possible, although I'm not psyched about that idea. For one thing, you've already got Duchy as an option. For another, a Victory card is not a super-exciting thing to topdeck. I guess an Action–Victory–Prize or a Treasure–Victory–Prize would be fine.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 03:21:50 pm »
+1

I agree with HeavyD. If we're going to have 10 Prizes total, I could easily accept another Attack or Treasure. But I think we should avoid another cost-reduction prize, choose-two prize, or Gold-gaining Prize. There are so many other directions to go. A remodeler? A gainer?

On a related topic, a Victory–Prize is certainly possible, although I'm not psyched about that idea. For one thing, you've already got Duchy as an option. For another, a Victory card is not a super-exciting thing to topdeck. I guess an Action–Victory–Prize or a Treasure–Victory–Prize would be fine.

I recall Donald writing that he tried a Victory–Prize but couldn't come up with one that was worth doing.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 03:29:53 pm »

I actually have a couple of ideas for this one....

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 04:34:37 pm »

I actually have a Victory-Prize idea, but I'm not sure it's worth exploring.

Nic

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 04:48:45 pm »
+1

I agree with the sentiment, although there's one Treasure- and one Attack-Prize versus four Actions -- I don't think vetoing entire types is helpful at all.
However, there's currently zero Treasure-Attacks: that's a type people want to see, but there aren't many non-stacking attacks you can put on a silver (that is, if you don't want Militia to look stupid in comparison).
Also, Renovate/Fortress can't autopile if there's no Renovate pile to begin with!

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2013, 04:56:06 pm »

I agree with the sentiment, although there's one Treasure- and one Attack-Prize versus four Actions -- I don't think vetoing entire types is helpful at all.
However, there's currently zero Treasure-Attacks: that's a type people want to see, but there aren't many non-stacking attacks you can put on a silver (that is, if you don't want Militia to look stupid in comparison).
Also, Renovate/Fortress can't autopile if there's no Renovate pile to begin with!

Hmm, good call. If you're going to make a Treasure–Attack, this is probably a good place to do it. The problem I have with a Treasure–Attack is that it precludes an Action card that plays Attack cards. I guess it doesn't really preclude it, but playing Treasure cards during the Action phase rubs me the wrong way a little bit.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I will NOT reject Treasure–Attack cards. If you want to submit one, go ahead.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2013, 08:17:20 pm »

I like the idea of fitting a Treasure - Attack here, and other such weirdness. I've got my entry in, and I like the mechanic I've used if not necessarily the final effect (which is to say, my card does something that I think is sufficiently different both from other Prizes and other cards in general, but having done that the residual effect isn't hugely exciting unless I come up with a fix before the deadline).

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2013, 11:49:44 pm »
+3

Here's hoping my prize is better than Satan's Workshop.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2013, 08:58:30 am »

Satan's workshop? What kind of cards does that gain?

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2013, 09:04:33 pm »

I really think that we should have a "rule" that 5 prizes are chosen randomly to play with each game.

(Note that this entails giving Tournament an addiitonal "setup:" clause like Young Witch's, making it a card that has an ability that isn't actually stated on the card. I'm not complaining about this per se; I just thought I'd point it out.)

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 02:04:35 am »
+1

Satan's workshop? What kind of cards does that gain?

The worst cards, followed by the best cards, all in the most diabolical way.  It was my submission for Dark Ages.  It was bad.  Even I didn't vote for it.

Satan's Workshop
Types: Action – Attack
Cost: $5
Gain a card costing up to the number of Fire tokens in your Satan Pit. Each other player may reveal a hand with 2 or fewer Treasures. If nobody does, put a Fire token in your Satan Pit. Each other player gains a Copper, putting it into his hand.
When you would trash this, set it aside. If you do, at the beginning of your next Buy phase, +1 Buy, +$1 per token in your Satan Pit, and put this into the trash.

Setup: Each player puts 2 Fire tokens in his Satan Pit.

HeavyD

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 12:51:53 pm »
+2

That's why I put the disclaimer at the bottom. I'm fine with another Attack or Treasure, but they need to be drastically different. As far as attacks go, Followers is a cursor and a discarder, which are the two "primary" attacks put into one (I feel). It would be easier to create a different treasure prize than a different attack prize (at least for me, I cannot come up with an idea for another prize-worthy attack). But I also think having a TfB prize, etc. prize would be more interesting (then again, I love TfB and not so much attacks.)

Edit: Also, Cornucopia's theme is variety, and my reason for posting what I did was to encourage variety amongst the Prizes.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:19:31 pm by HeavyD »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2013, 08:29:52 pm »
+2

A new treasure-prize should probably be drastically different than Diadem. For example, you could make a treasure-prize that's actually useful!

What about I submit Diadem to this contest? It'd actually make Diadem a lot more useful ::).
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2013, 11:55:49 am »

The ballot is up with 25 entries! I'm pretty excited about this contest. Several cool ideas.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2013, 12:18:29 pm »

I still like my own submission to be a finalist, but this is the first contest in which immediately after reading the ballot list I regret making it because other ideas seem a lot cooler.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2013, 12:27:59 pm »

Fortune

I see what you're trying to do there, but it still doesn't work, because you could still Golem into this plus Throne Room.

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2013, 12:39:15 pm »

My favourites:

Rusty the Donkey
+4 Actions. Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: Gain a card with cost up to the number of unused Actions you have (Actions, not Action cards); or gain a card costing up to $4 more than the trashed card; or gain two cards each costing up to $2 more than the trashed card.
So cool choices and it uses the "unused-action-idea" of Diadem in an interesting way.

Grace of the King
+1 Action. While this is in play, when you play an Action card the first time this turn, play it again.

Clarification: This affects each individual card, not just each differently named card. So if you played this and played a Village (twice), then played another Village, you would also play that second Village twice.
What a crazy card! Just a Throne Room for all following action-cards. I think it would be cooler (and better fitting Cornucopia) if this would affect just differently named card. But the idea is very funny.

Signet Ring
Worth $0. +1 Buy. When you play this, you may discard a card that is not a Victory card; +$ equal to its cost. You may discard a Victory card; +$ equal to half its cost (rounded down).
Nice discard-for-benefit idea.

ECF Council
Yeah! Gain all the Tournaments ;-)

Golden Hammer
[/quote]
Simple but cool.
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2013, 03:32:17 pm »

Favour
You may return this to the Prize pile. If you do, +5 Cards and trash any number of cards from your hand.

It's interesting, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of one-shot Prizes. The effect is good though. I wonder if trashing from a Prize is too late game for it to really be worth it though. I mean many times players already try to get a lot of Tournaments and trash down to make them connect with Provinces, but I guess this would be nice in a Cursing game.

Wizard
If this is the first Action card you played this turn, +3 Cards and +1 Action. Otherwise, +1 Card and +3 Actions.

Nice and simple, yet can be very strong. I don't like that it can sort of flop though. Considering it's a Prize, I think it should always be good, but not game breaking good. Diadem can sort of flop too, but I also think it's the least Prize-like Prize.

Shield of Virtue
+1 Card. +1 Action. Look through your discard pile. You may trash a card from your hand or your discard pile.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

It feels like moat to me. I sort of want Prizes to be unique, while this feel just like a re-do of Moat.

Rusty the Donkey

I like each part of it, but I feel the remodel and the Diadem-gaining effect are unrelated. I think it's good enough that it could just be the Remodel part, and it would still feel unique enough to be a Prize.

Servicemen
+1 Action. Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card, putting it into your hand.

Nice. Simple, powerful yet not game breaking good. There's no to-hand remodels in the game yet, and this feels like the right way to put one in.

Wishing Ring

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this. If you do, choose one: Gain a copy of the Attack card, putting it into your hand and this card onto your deck; or you are not affected by the Attack.

Is the top supposed to be like BoM? If so it should be worded that way. Otherwise it seems like it gains the card and plays it. I like the Reaction though. It may not need the Moat part, but I think it's good as is.

Jousting Rod

When another player plays a Tournament, you may discard this. If you do, gain 2 Action cards each costing up to $5, putting them into your hand.

Tournaments already start to be unreliable when other players buy Provinces. Penalizing them for trying to get Prizes just adds to the 1st player advantage. It's too good even for a Prize.

Grace of the King

Throne Room for every card you play is insane. Too good even for a Prize.

Parade (A)

When you have no Actions left during your Action phase, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, +3 Actions.

I like this one. It's a good reaction, helps your deck without being too good. The top is good too, but since it's terminal it's not crazy good. I'll probably vote for this.

Advertiser
+1 Action. +$2. Reveal up to 2 Action cards from your hand. For each card revealed this way, gain a copy of it.

Not sure what to think. I don't know how good this is. I think I'll wait to see what others say.

Remote Holding

The top isn't that interesting, and the bottom will never happen. And even if it does, it probably won't be worth enough to win the game.

Heroic Epic
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1.

When you reveal this card, you may name any number of types and card names.  This card has all of those types and card names until the end of the turn (and none of its former types and names).

Why? Why everything on this card? Why does this cost $12? Why do you even need to this to have all the names of everything. It doesn't even get the effects, so why? Prizes are $0 always. I just don't see any reason for this card. It does nothing other than be a Peddler.

Parade (B)

When another player plays a Prize, you may discard this. If you do, gain that Prize when it is discarded from play, putting it on top of your deck.

No. Too good, too much advantage for who gets it, and the VP is not worth that much.

Signet Ring

Interesting.  Like a discard Counterfeit for everything. I like it.

ECF Council

Everyone spams often to get Prizes anyway. Plus it's not that many points, plus Tournaments are often dead cards once people buy Provinces. And it's just not super Interesting.

Magic Lamp

Super Ironworks. I like it but I think it should be "Gain a cards costing up to $4. If it's and Action cards, play it."

Jubilee
You may return this to the Prize pile. If you do, choose an Action card in your hand and play it five times.

Crazy and I don't like one-shot Prizes.

Faithful Hound
+1 Action. Name two cards. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a copy of the first named card; put it into your hand. Put all revealed copies of the second named card on your deck. Discard the rest.

It's good. Probably get my vote.

Blessing

I just doesn't feel very Prizey. I dunno.

Liege
+2 Buys. While this is in play, when you buy a Copper, you may trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.

Is this really that good? It's similar to Farmland, but you need to buy Coppers. I'm not convinced it'll match up even to Diadem or Bag of Gold.

King's Favor

This defeats the point of Tournament becoming unreliable. I say no.

Ringmaster
+$2. Each other player reveals the top 3 cards of his deck, trashes a revealed Treasure card, discards the revealed Action cards, and puts the rest back in any order.

Rabble, + Treasure trashing. From this it the treasure is not chosen by the attacker, so it can help opponents, but with the Rabble part it seems fairly strong. Feels like Followers, but for trashing rather than cursing. It seems ok.

Fortune
Gain up to 4 Coppers, putting them into your hand. Reveal your hand. Reveal one card from your deck per Copper in your hand; put one of them that you choose into your hand and discard the rest.

I junk myself with copper, then can't play anymore cards? I don't see it being that good, or maybe I'm missing something.

Shield
+3 Cards.

When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, draw until you have 6 cards in hand and you are unaffected by that Attack.

This is exactly what I imagine a Prize-Reaction would look like. It'll get my vote fur sure.

Golden Hammer

Simple powerful version of Remodel. Doesn't feel crazy like the other Prizes, but I'll consider voting for it.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2013, 05:13:19 pm »

A word about my favorites (Disclaimer: one of the submitted cards is mine):

Wizard

I really like this Prize. This surprises me, because it sort of boils down to a combination of vanilla bonuses, which I usually hate. If it just gave you a choice between the two options, I probably wouldn't like it. But the fact that its ability depends on when it's played makes it interesting to me, and I like that the two possibilities are mirrors of each other. This one definitely gets my vote.

Servicemen

A Prize is a great place to do a card that remodels into your hand. I don't love the name of the card, but I'll still vote for it. I think $3 more is the best amount, too. I don't think I'd tweak this card in any way.

Signet Ring

I want to like this one, but I think it needs to be simpler. The way it's worded, you can discard both a non-Victory card and a Victory card. Although I changed the wording, I do believe the original wording was like this, too. I'd like it better if you just discarded one card. That aside, I think I'd prefer if it either couldn't discard Victory cards or if it just always gave you half the cost. Probably the former.

Magic Lamp

I like the elegant simplicity of this one. Although it would be much more exciting if it could gain $5 cards, I think it would compare way too favorably to Bag of Gold in that case. Maybe that would be OK, though. Either way, I'll vote for this.

Faithful Hound

This is complex, but I think it's a cool mechanic and I can't think of a good way to make it simpler. And sometimes cards can be complex! I like the name, too. I'll vote for this.

Ringmaster

A trasher/mucker analog to Followers's discarder/junker. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Because it's a Prize, specifically targeting Action cards seems acceptable to me. Chances are you're not going to avoid buying Actions just because another player might get this. And it targets Treasures too, so there's that. I would like it better if you got to choose the Treasure card(s) trashed. I think I'll still vote for it, though.

Finally, for those of you criticizing the wording of Wishing Ring: some of you say it should be worded like Band of Misfits. Tell me how to do that while keeping the +1 Action, and I will change the wording.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2013, 05:19:51 pm »
+1

I didn't submit anything to this one!

These were fairly difficult to critique.  For a lot of them I say "too powerful", but I'm not entirely certain about that.  Prizes ARE quite powerful.  I generally say that a submission is too powerful if I think it will often be more dominating than Followers is on a board without other cursers.  Still, it is difficult to judge.

Favour

Whoaaa.  Tournament and Prizes in general often end up as "win more" cards, but this one does that even more.  Get a play of this and you can clean out A LOT of your deck.  +5 cards and trash any amount, that is huge.  Returning to the Prize pile (which isn't entirely accurate?  It's not a pile, right?) helps a little by letting others use it as well, but the momentum for the frist player to do it would be hard to overcome.  That amount of deck trimming would make it way easier to connect Tournaments and Provinces in subsequent turns.

Wizard

Not a fan of the card name here (the King isn't just going to give away his Wizard!) but I like the mechanic.

Shield of Virtue

I think this is alright.  At first glance it seems a bit weak and boring for a prize, but the thing I like is that it acts as a counter to Followers.  It can Moat the attacks and it can clean up the Curses that are received.  I don't think this Shield becomes a priority prize, but it can be a nice pick for a player defending against Followers.

Rusty the Donkey

The name is cute (Trusty, Rusty -- ISWYDT) but I'm not a fan of it overall.  The actions feel overly complex.  I feel like it would be better if it were more focused.

the first choice is basically Workshop with the potential to gain more expensive cards with villages.  The super-Expand is interesting.  The double Remodel is OK.  I feel like it would be better if it just did the super Expand alone.  Actually, Expand-by-$4 would be really, really powerful, maybe even too good on its own, let alone with other choices.

Servicemen

Non-terminal Expand-to-hand.  I'm OK with that as a Prize.  Name could be better.

Wishing Ring

Not a fan.  Playing Action cards from the Supply just brings up a host of questions (do I get to keep the action? what happens if the action gets trashed?).  The reaction choice doesn't matter because you can do both.  You can reveal it and choose to Moat, then reveal it again to gain the Attack card.  Moreover, the reaction is broken with Secret Chamber:

Reveal Wishing Ring (WR), gain attack card in hand, top-deck WR.  Reveal SC, swap attack card (or something else) with WR.  Repeat.  Gain all the attacks.

Jousting Rod

Jousting Rod?  Like, a lance?  Why would the Knight who won the tournament need a new lance? ;)

The action seems OK to me.  Might be a bit too powerful, so shifting it to match Bag of Gold might be better (i.e. top-deck the gained action).  I feel like the reaction is too good though.

Grace of the King

That seems way, way too good.  Yeah Prizes can be powerful and all that... but this seems way over the top.  Permanent Throne Room for every card?  I mean, seriously?  And think of what it would do to King's Court!  *shudder*

Parade (A)

The action is fine.  I've definitely seen it around before (might have done it myself?  eh, probably not) but it is well-suited to Prize status given its power.  I don't like the reaction though.  It is pretty much a permanent village.  People realize that reactions can be revealed multiple times, right?  Play terminal, reveal Parade, play 3 more terminals, reveal Parade again... it's too easy.

Advertiser

Name is too modern.  It's an action Silver that can clone up to two action cards.  I think that's alright, but it's not particularly exciting to me.

Remote Holding

So the name is... remote as in secluded and holding as in something/land you own?  OK, but it sounds a bit weird.

The action is decently powerful.  The VP value is... really weird.  Weird to the point of pointlessness.  To get it in the first place you need to have a Province in your deck, so it's already worth 0VP when you first gain it.  To get those 30VP you have to trash your Province.  You also need to trash starting Estates, and you have to give up on getting any other Provinces or Duchies.  The points in Provinces and Duchies are worth more than 30VP, so... I suppose the use case for this is to try to 3-pile with your 30VP before someone else can overtake you.  It does provide its own +1 Buy to help with that, plus it has trashing to help get rid of the Estates and Province.  I mean, it's interesting.  I give it that.  But I don't know.  It's a little too far out there for my taste.

Heroic Epic
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1.

I like the cost.  With the vanilla bonuses, it is basically a super Peddler.  The "on reveal" doesn't really make sense to me.  "When you reveal" -- is that specific to cards that tell you to reveal things, or does it include the act of playing Heroic Epic?  If you give it the Victory type and nothing else, can you still play it?  Presumably not.  If someone plays a Mountebank can you immediately call it a Curse and reveal it?  Presumably not, because it needs to be revealed first.

And what's the point anyway?  Need some help with this because I can't think of any stellar interactions.  Call it a Copper to buff Coppersmith?

Parade (B)

It's another win-more prize.  Not a fan.  I actually thought of submitting something like this, except it was looking at the opponent's deck instead, to act as a catch-up mechanic.  Anyway, this is worth 1-5VP only so it's not even that great, but it's still better for the current-winner which rubs me the wrong way.  The reaction is even worse.  Stealing prizes is too good and it just makes everyone else afraid of playing their hard-earned prizes.

Signet Ring

It's a super Salvager.  I am OK with this, I think.  Maybe too powerful for draining Province after you have a lead.  I really like the name; it was something I suggested long ago (and also probably in the thread for the Prosperity contest).

ECF Council

I don't understand the name.  The VP value is probably better than Duchy, probably not as much as Province.  It's OK, but not super exciting.

Magic Lamp

I like the name.  The action is alright for a Prize, but it could probably be made even better.  Like, make it a cantrip.

Jubilee

Man, even with returning it to the prize pile, it seems too good.  Especially because you could immediately gain it back with another Tournament, then play it again.

Faithful Hound

The card name doesn't quite work for me (the faithful hound is probably one that you raised yourself, not one you randomly win at a tournament).  The action is pretty neat.  OTOH, perhaps the action is too strong for pulling together more Province-Tournament combos.

Blessing

That's really good... too good?  Not sure.  That's really strong trashing though; it might be more game-swinging than Followers.

Liege

One play of this card and you can Remodel up to 3 cards, but you have gain a Copper for each one.  Actually sounds kind of weak to me.

King's Favor

It basically makes Tournaments better.  I think I'm OK with that concept.  It might make Tournaments too good though, especially when the opponent doesn't happen to have a Province in hand to block it.  Hmm.

Ringmaster

It's a powerful trashing and deck inspection attack.  However, it's probably just fine as a Prize.  The wording needs to be a bit more clear -- specifically, it should specify who chooses when multiple Treasures are revealed.

Fortune

Well, that's strange.  You play this and you can filter one card out of a lot... but then you can't play any more actions.  And you might have had to gain a bunch of Copper to do that.  OTOH, you do gain them into hand so this is kind of like +$4.  I don't know.  Might be too weak?  Might be fine too.

Shield
+3 Cards.

I think this is alright.  The reaction is pretty neat.  It's like a combination of Horse Traders and Moat.  You get to do a bit more with it though -- against discard attacks, if you know more than one will be coming, you could choose to discard junk to the first one and then Shield-react to the second to draw back up to 6.

I actually think this would be fairly interesting as an actual card, rather than just a prize.

Golden Hammer

Oh hey, back with Rusty the Donkey I said that a super-Expand alone might be good, and here it is.  Yeah, it might be good.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2013, 05:23:36 pm »
+1

The only idea I really had for this was:

(Unnamed)
Types: Victory - Prize
Worth 1VP for each Province and Prize in the decks of other players.

It's probably not great as is, but the idea is that it would be a better card for the player who isn't winning the Province/Tournament game.  I didn't think it was interesting enough to submit though, especially because it'll often be decent for the leading player anyway.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2013, 05:32:45 pm »
+2

Returning to the Prize pile (which isn't entirely accurate?  It's not a pile, right?)

"gain a Prize (from the Prize pile)"

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2013, 05:36:35 pm »

Returning to the Prize pile (which isn't entirely accurate?  It's not a pile, right?)

"gain a Prize (from the Prize pile)"

OK, I stand corrected. :)

jpople02

• Steward
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2013, 10:25:53 pm »
+2

My thoughts on any of them about which I had thoughts:

Wizard

I like this concept, but I feel like the condition in which it's really good is too niche.  Drawing cards is kind of undesirable if you still have this in your deck.  Maybe if the less-good version were better?  I just feel like there's a huge discrepancy between +3 Cards, +1 Action and +1 Card, +3 Actions.

Shield of Virtue

Pretty straightforward.  I like being able to trash from your discard, and a cantrip reaction to Attacks is pretty good.  I think it works.

Rusty the Donkey

The gaining effect is all right, but doesn't seem like it'll be worth it very often.  Not to mention counting spare Actions gets to be a pain after 2 or 3, but maybe that's just me.  The first remodeling effect seems fine, but the second seems way too good.  Trash a Gold, gain two Provinces?  And with spare actions after that?  I'm pretty sure that's ridiculous, even for a Prize.

Servicemen

I think this is a better way to handle the Remodeling.  Not crazy about the name, though.

Wishing Ring

It's not entirely clear how the top works, as has been said.  I don't actually gain the card, right?  It's basically Band of Misfits?  Why not "Choose an Action card from the Supply and copy its effect"?

Jousting Rod

I actually really like this one.  I'm assuming it's supposed to also be a Reaction because of the bottom half?

Grace of the King

This seems OP, even for a Prize.  Any non-terminal is now a Village, which means if you have a Lab or something the rest of your turn is now ridiculous.

Advertiser

I don't like the name.  Too modern, and why would an advertiser be a Prize?  I'm also unsure about the +$2.  It seems tacked on.  Maybe find something else that works better with the Action-duplicating for a bonus?  What if you got to put one of the duplicates into your hand?

Remote Holding

I like the fact that you need a Victory card to get this but then you need to get rid of it for it to be worth much, but how often is 30 enough to win?  It would be cool if there were potential for expansion.  Maybe if it were just no Provinces and not no Victory cards?  That would seem to go with the +Buy.

Parade (B)

What if you had to return it to the Prize pile if you decided to steal someone else's?  Otherwise I don't see why the first person to get this isn't way ahead.

ECF Council

I don't really get the name.  Also, it seems like this is unlikely to be much better for you than just a Duchy, but I guess it could be interesting.

Blessing

If you have this, a Golem and no other Actions in your deck, this is effectively "trash anything you want from your deck."  I can't decide if that's absurd or awesome.

Liege

I dig the idea of "when you buy a Copper, X" but I don't know if I like your X.  That said, I have no idea what I'd make it.

Fortune

I don't know if the benefit is worth gaining 4 Coppers.  And that's without the "no other Actions" thing.  I don't really get the point of that, also.

Shield
+3 Cards.

Super-Moat.  I like it.  Maybe give it a name that reflects its relation to that?  City Wall or something?  Although granted that doesn't make much sense as a Prize.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2013, 11:32:16 pm »
+2

Alright, I just feel like jumping into this. All those ideas that would have been broken as supply cards, work as prizes. It's awesome

Favour
Actually, this one is interesting because it lets you thin your deck in order to get more prizes. It's probably not the main reason you'd want to go for tournament though.

Wizard
Hey, sometimes you want double-Village. This also has the chance of being a double-Lab. It's like Trusty Steed in that it's a nice, safe choice.

Shield of Virtue

It seems to me that this card's original reason for existence was probably to counter Followers. However, I do think the on-play effect is good enough on its own, based on my experience with Mortuary. Also, the moat reaction is nice to have on a card that's, you know, strong anyway.

Rusty the Donkey
Sorry Diadem, but I'd prefer this if it gave just 2 actions or something and didn't have the first option. Otherwise yeah, super remodel is okay for a prize.

Servicemen
Here we see the advantages of being a prize card. You get a super Renovate, but only once a turn which means it doesn't have broken interactions with Fortress. If this wins, I can only hope that it ended up being Robz888's submission.

Wishing Ring

So this becomes a non-terminal version of the any attack on the board. Depends on the board, of course. Maybe it can borrow Band of Misfits' wording?

Jousting Rod

That reaction is so brutal. Two people race to get the prizes, and then the player who doesn't get this ends with having every Tournament in their deck become a liability. I think this was trying to give the player who was late for the prizes a second chance, but it can easily end up doing the opposite.

Grace of the King

Only working once for each differently named card would probably balance this better. It can work though, since there is only one of them. I don't know, it's really hard to judge prize card strength.

Parade (A)

Wow, this is a really nifty engine card when you take into account that reaction ability. The reaction isn't too crazy, but it is insanely powerful when you're running a terminal draw deck.

Advertiser
Well, at least there can only be one of these in the game at a time, so the card gaining won't get too much out of hand. And hey, it's non-terminal, so you can still play those action cards. I doesn't help you find your action cards though. Hard to really gauge its strength

Remote Holding

This one jumped at me. I like it for some reason. Must it really have the no prize card restriction though? Anyway, this really opens up a 3-pile ending rush strategy. It may be heavy-handed in doing so, but I don't mind.

Heroic Epic
+1 Card. +1 Action. +$1.

Uhh...? So much complication for such a situational effect. What, do you get 200+ coins if Harvest hits this? Probably not, eh? I'm trying to think of when the reveal effect is really good, but I can't think of those situations right now.

Parade (B)

Prize stealing just seems so wrong, and makes the whole prize thing even more wonky than it already is. The VP effect really just lets you win while you're ahead.

Signet Ring
Not bad. I was hoping there would be a prize that gives you a way to get cash by making some sort of current turn sacrifice. This one does it in a way I approve of. So many neat cards here.

ECF Council
I don't like the idea of rewarding Tournament spam. When a player has tons of Tourneys, they either soar and crash hand, depending on whether another player has Province. I don't want a card that encourages that kind of swinginess.

Magic Lamp
Hehe, Donald tried something like this on a supply card, I think. That was crazy, but this is a prize card and suddenly that makes this idea viable again. I like it. It lets you play Tournament when it's best to do so, but so does Band o' Misfits.

Jubilee
Well, we have Madman. My first thought is that this isn't broken. What, KC is only really crazy when you use it to play other KCs

Faithful Hound
Demonic tutor on a prize. I'm not sure what to think just yet, but I do know I like the top-decking effect on the second named card. But perhaps it encourages single card strategies too much?

Blessing
I really don't like this one. The 1-copy-of-each-prize nerf is not a nerf at all here. You only need one play of this to create a super deck instantly.

Liege
This turns Copper into Farmland. I kinda like it. However, Copper as Farmland means you can remodel a 6-cost card for every buy you have. It might be a bit too explosive.

King's Favor

It takes a bit of finesse to match Tournament with Province with only a couple of Tourneys. It's bound to happen if you get a bunch of them, but at a cost of having dead cards in your hand later. But then this card makes it so that all those thoughtless Tourney buys are rewarded anyway. No fair.

Ringmaster
"Take that Diadem!" Seriously though, it's a much more bearable attack than Followers, and that's probably a good thing.

Fortune

It's already been pointed out that the bottom effect can't handle the Golem-hits-Throne-Room case. Does it even need that restriction? I mean, Beggar costs $2, and this is still a terminal prize.

Shield
+3 Cards.

A shield seems like a natural fit for a prize. This is basically a super-Moat. Hey, there is still room for a Smithy variant prize

Golden Hammer
Well, it's nice to know that we can at least vote for super-remodel if we want. Watch out, though, because this can turn a Tournament into a Province.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2013, 12:01:00 am »

Finally, for those of you criticizing the wording of Wishing Ring: some of you say it should be worded like Band of Misfits. Tell me how to do that while keeping the +1 Action, and I will change the wording.
Oops, I didn't catch the +1 Action in front of it. So then, I take back the BOM wording suggestion.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2013, 12:13:33 am »

I like the idea of reviewing one aspect of the cards, like Showdown35 did for the flavour of the Cornucopia entries. Here, I'm going to look at the on-themeness of the Prizes, based on the criteria that a Prize should do something a bit different, especially something that shouldn't be easy to stack because it would otherwise be too powerful or too confusing or otherwise detract from the game. I will also occasionally make comments on the strength or possible intent of the card. Disclaimer: I did submit a card, but I'm not saying whether it was in this group or not.

Favour
Strong on theme. A re-usable one-shot that has a powerful effect. Is slightly unusual in that the returning means that you will have a viable Prize option later in the game than normal. The effect may be designed to slightly counter Followers?

Wizard
Weak on theme. A super-Village except when it's a super-Lab, almost like a cross between Crossroads and Conspirator without the coin. Not as amazingly excitingly unique in terms of effect as other entries.

Shield of Virtue

Weak on theme. Borrows a bit from Hermit and a reaction from Moat. Not hugely unique, or particularly strong, but does provide a little protection from Followers.

Rusty the Donkey
Strong on theme. Effect is unusual, would be ridiculous if stacked, and borrows a little from other Prize concepts (Trusty Steed, Diadem) without directly copying them. Also lets you turn unwanted Tournaments into either Gold or Provinces. My main worry would be that with Throne Room or King's Court in the game it becomes a race to get this over anything else.

Servicemen
Strong on theme. A little Rebuild, a little Mine, a little Expand. Definitely an effect that would be nearly impossible to price reasonably as a normal card.

Wishing Ring

Strong on theme. It's a little Band of Misfits and a little something else, but as others have pointed out, needs some pretty crazy rules clarifications about whether you gain the card from the Supply and, if not, what you do about the card you're playing (even if it's "the card stays in the supply", what if you gain it afterwards?)

Jousting Rod

Moderate on theme. Doesn't really copy an existing Prize, although the effects are fairly similar to some other existing cards. The Reaction is definitely unique, and plays well off the fact that (a) having Prizes requires having Tournament, and (b) Tournament requires other players to react to it anyway, so the reaction won't significantly interrupt the flow of the game. That said, I suspect it's still too strong an effect.

Grace of the King

Strong on theme, but as others have said I would probably like it better if it triggered on differently named cards.

Parade (A)

Strong on theme. No other sifting Prizes, effect is much stronger than the average sifter and would probably be a bad thing to stack. Reaction is also unique and stacks poorly, although it forms a hellish combination with any half-way decent terminal draw and/or attack.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2013, 12:16:35 am »

I don't think it needs a wording change, but I do think it needs some rules clarifications. Intuitively, I'd assume that it works like you play a phantom copy of the card from the Supply, a bit like Throne Room plays a second, phantom copy of the Action card you play with it. The would then mean that, for example, it wouldn't trigger while-in-play effects, but would activate Conspirator.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2013, 01:48:22 am »
+3

Okay, here's my review of the Prizes. Sorry for the poorer audio...

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2013, 11:18:17 am »
+2

Thanks for the video, Robz. I have a few comments and counterpoints.

First, I think it's funny that you call out Diadem as a card that could have been a Kingdom card since it was made into a Prize because it didn't work as a Kingdom card.  :D  I agree that it seems weak for a Prize, though.

Other than that, there are some cards I think you're misunderstanding or selling short:

Rusty the Donkey

OK, I don't think you're selling this one short, but in your video you assumed that the first choice anti-synergizes with Diadem because it "uses up" your unused Actions. I don't think it does that. I don't think Diadem does it either. If you Counterfeited Diadem with two Actions left, I think you'd get $8 (not including the $1 from Counterfeit).

On a side note, I think I'd like this card myself if it had a better name and only had the first option (and no trashing). So:

Stalwart Mule (or something)
Cost: 0*
+4 Actions. Gain a card costing up to $1 per Action you have (Action, not Action card).

Even without other villages, that's a Workshop with +4 Actions. Nothing to sneeze at.

Servicemen

I think you're selling this one way short. You can turn an Estate into a $5 card, which you can then immediately play? Yes, please! That's probably the best-case scenario, but I think I'd often be willing to trash Coppers for certain $3 cards in hand. And of course it can do everything Expand and Mine can do, only non-terminally! I'm flabbergasted that you called this "niche". I agree that it needs a better name.

Grace of the King

Yeah, the wording isn't great. But if the wording was, "While this is in play, when you play an Action card, play it again", then you'd be playing the same Action card ad infinitum. "I play a Smithy! OK, I just played an Action card, so I'll play that Smithy again! OK, I just played an Action card, so I'll play that Smithy again! OK, I just played an Action card, so I'll play that Smithy again!" Etc. I agree that it's too powerful, so I'm not super-stressed about finding the perfect wording for it just yet.

Magic Lamp

You kind of dismissed this out of hand since gaining $4 cards isn't that exciting. I think that's pretty valid. But think about if it could gain and play $5 cards. Compare it to Bag of Gold. Arguably, gaining any Action card costing up to $5 is better than just gaining a Gold. Furthermore, Bag of Gold puts the gained Gold on your deck, whereas this effectively puts the card into your hand. So such a card would be way, way better than Bag of Gold. I think eHalcyon's got the right idea with adding +1 Card and +1 Action to it. That way it's more appealing and you're more willing to gain terminal cards with it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:20:12 am by LastFootnote »

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2013, 11:50:43 am »

I didn't participate because I forgot and I had no solid idea, but I knew I would have something such as "Gain an action card, play it immediatly" or "Gain a card into your hand".

It will take time to comment,but I'll do so, there are many fun ideas, because it is the prize challenge !
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2013, 12:30:24 pm »

Thanks for the video, Robz. I have a few comments and counterpoints.

First, I think it's funny that you call out Diadem as a card that could have been a Kingdom card since it was made into a Prize because it didn't work as a Kingdom card.  :D  I agree that it seems weak for a Prize, though.

Other than that, there are some cards I think you're misunderstanding or selling short:

Yeah, I've never been convinced of that. Why couldn't Diadem be a $5 Kingdom card? I'm quite convinced it would be much better as a $5 Kingdom card. it would still be incredibly weak, but at least you wouldn't have to jump through such hoops to get it on the once-in-a-blue-moon set where it's good.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2013, 12:31:20 pm »

+4 Actions. Gain a card costing up to $1 per Action you have (Action, not Action card).

Even without other villages, that's a Workshop with +4 Actions. Nothing to sneeze at.

I don't remember what I said about this one. Did I sneeze at it? Anyway, I'll agree with you now.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2013, 01:13:16 pm »
+1

I don't remember what I said about this one. Did I sneeze at it? Anyway, I'll agree with you now.

You didn't say anything about this one because it wasn't submitted. It's my theoretical, simplified version of Rusty the Donkey.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2013, 01:27:16 pm »
+1

Oh! Oh oh oh. Okay, I'm not crazy.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2013, 04:12:43 pm »

I like the videos. Less reading :P I also had some comments on what Robz said.

Magic Lamp

I don't see this as boring. Gaining $4 cards is interesting enough. Maybe a fix could be to gain 2 $4 cards, and play one of them. This allows for gaining of Victory cards, or cards like Island without having to play them right away. I also see this as awkward with playing Treasure cards during your buy phase. Maybe they should go to your hand if it's a treasure card?

Ringmaster

This does have the problem that it trashes Coppers. I feel it may be too strong if it can trash everything. Maybe a Noble Brigand clause, where it can only trash Silver and Golds? It would still put Golds and Silver back if you revealed more than one though, so maybe full Rabble too, where it discards treasures too.

Shield
+3 Cards.

You said this is boring, but I don't see how it's more boring than Princess or Bag of Gold. Princess is super cost reduction, and this is a super reaction. Bag of Gold just gains Gold, which really isn't that exciting.

Nic

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2013, 10:37:43 pm »
+1

Just getting my two cents in here. The cards I don't like have all been pretty unpopular, so I can just cover the ones I find particularly interesting.
Favour
I should just say up front that I want the new Prize card to be a one-shot, and I'd be really happy if it helped someone catch up if they're behind. Both Tournament and the prize cards are very good at helping a small lead snowball into a huge one, but none of them are very nice to the player who didn't get the Province first. Here, if a junked player manages to win a tournament, he can get back in the game with one play of this guy. Even if he comes late to the Prize party, there's a good chance it's been gained and returned. Besides the opportunities for catch-up, I like that you have a chance of a good prize being available throughout the entire game.

Some people are pretty sure it's too strong, even for a one-shot. I don't know either way, but I think it could be easily fixed by tweaking the numbers: either reduce to +4 cards, or cap the number of cards trashed to 4-5, or perhaps both. Even if you're worried about it, this looks to me like the purest case of 'vote now, tweak later' that we've seen so far.
Wizard
This guy I like, but I don't see it as all that terrifying to be a Kingdom card. Judging from the name, the designer might have tried it out as a potion-cost card, and I think that's the perfect place for it. It's viable at $3P, and I doubt it'd be game-breaking if it dropped down to $2P. I want to see this in the Alchemy contest.

Magic Lamp
Just echoing earlier comments; this card adds something new to the prizes and adds something unique to the game, but it should be made into a cantrip in order to make the power comparable with the other prizes. Luckily I think we could get some sort of consensus on this.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:52:24 pm by Nic »

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2013, 12:14:16 am »
+1

Wizard
This guy I like, but I don't see it as all that terrifying to be a Kingdom card. Judging from the name, the designer might have tried it out as a potion-cost card, and I think that's the perfect place for it. It's viable at $3P, and I doubt it'd be game-breaking if it dropped down to $2P. I want to see this in the Alchemy contest.

Well, I can think of an obvious reason it couldn't be a KIngdom card, though: It can't be stacked. Like, if you have more than one of this, the second and third and so on one that you play is vastly less interesting, because it's always Super Village, negating some of the strategic landscape of the card. So I think it does actually sort of have to be a Prize.

HeavyD

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2013, 01:30:06 pm »
+1

With Prizes not having a cost, this contest seems to be more concept oriented as it is difficult to create a "fair" prize.
There are probably balance issues with all of the submissions. That being said, here are my favorite concepts.

Rusty the Donkey

I've always been interested in an expensive workshop variant. I think this is a great way to do it. I like LFN's idea of just having the Workshop part. Another thing I like is that you can build your deck up like you would be going Diadem and even if Diadem is taken, you still have ol' Rusty! So I think this prize (maybe) increases Diadems power as a prize. Name is hilarious! I've always wanted a donkey!

Servicemen

This is a pretty solid prize. Simple and a Trash for Benefit. Gets my vote. Name is lame, but that's all I have against it. Gets my vote.

Signet Ring

This is a good idea with very poor balance. I love the discard for benefit! This just ranks up too much coin. I'd rather it discard 1 card. I don't think half the cost is the solution, cause then there isn't a benefit to discarding Treasure. Then again, discarding a Province would be too strong as that earns you a free Province. Maybe discarding a non-VP or a card costing up to $6? Still, earns my vote on concept.

Ringmaster

I know I hated on Attack-Prizes earlier, but I wanted an Attack-Prize that was vastly different from Followers. Here it is! It isn't my favorite like the above 3, but I am considering voting for this as well. Followers kinda = Witch + Militia; Ringmaster kinda = Rabble + Thief. Good job author!

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2013, 11:20:56 am »
+1

For this contest, I'm going to be consistent and say that you can't use mechanics specific to other sets for your Prize card. So no Action–Duration–Prize, etc.

Also, even if we have 5 slots open, I'm likely to only allow one Prize, since the larger the Prize pile is, the longer it takes to figure out which Prize to gain when you win a Tournament. I suppose we could have 5 new Prizes and add a rule such that you only put 5 randomly selected Prizes in the pile for each game. I could be convinced of that if we actually have 5 great submissions.

I'm a little late to see this comment because I've been away.  I like the solution to randomize which five prizes are available whenever Tournament (or some other Prize-gaining card) comes along.

Also, what's the deal with voting on this contest?  I looked for a voting deadline and didn't see it, but maybe it is because I haven't followed the thread.  Also looks like the thread hasn't received attention for a few days, so... what's going on? :)  Do I still have a chance to vote?

Just one specific comment in my confused state: I like Stalwart Mule, but it might need 5 Actions to be a Prize.  Maybe I'm just a fan of overpowered and complicated cards.  Yes, I think so.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2013, 04:49:21 pm »

Just one specific comment in my confused state: I like Stalwart Mule, but it might need 5 Actions to be a Prize.  Maybe I'm just a fan of overpowered and complicated cards.  Yes, I think so.

There's no card called Stalwart Mule?...

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2013, 05:40:38 pm »
+2

Stalwart Mule was LastFootnote's version of Rusty the Donkey.  It's the same except it only has the first option and takes out the trashing:

I like it a lot better this way, not every prize has to do everything, and I think that fewer words is really important for a prize, since most casual players will have to read 5 extra cards in every game with Tournament in it (maybe not a concern on f.ds but I think it's good to consider).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2013, 06:38:17 pm »
+2

I personally prefer the Tenacious Zebra over the Stalwart Mule.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2013, 11:06:06 am »
+1

Poll is (finally) up! I added Stalwart Mule because it's gotten some good press and I think it deserves its own entry. If it wins, credit goes to the author of Rusty the Donkey.

The poll runs a week!

There will be 5 winners for this contest. When using these new Prizes, use 5 random Prize cards chosen from the original Prizes and the new ones.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2013, 11:27:04 am »
+1

I voted based on position on the list, but I think (A) and (B) should be added in the poll to avoid confusion.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2013, 11:42:34 am »

I voted based on position on the list, but I think (A) and (B) should be added in the poll to avoid confusion.

Ah, thanks. Will update.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2013, 07:13:32 pm »
+1

Here are my favourites from the prizes.  There were others that I liked too, but these few stood out to me.  There were also some that I liked before that I am less sure about now.

Wizard

Still don't like the card name.  Still like the mechanic.

One interesting thing I just realized is that this card can be a really nice pick when your Tournament gets blocked.  Wizard gets top decked and you fail to draw it, making it more likely that you can play it as your first action on the next turn.  That's really cool.

Shield of Virtue

It's not crazy stand out, but I like that it can be a good pick after someone else gets Followers.  It's nice that it can both moat against Followers AND clean up Curses after the fact is nice.

Hmm... I actually wonder if even more could be added onto it.  Like, in addition to Moating the attack, you can choose to discard the shield from your hand to gain a Silver in hand.  Or maybe even do the classic broken fan card of an attacking reaction.  Would that work as a prize?  I don't know.

Anyway, that probably isn't necessary.  The action alone is cantrip trashing that can trash from the discard.  That's actually really powerful.  So it doesn't feel crazy stand out powerful, but it definitely pulls its weight.  There are probably plenty of boards where this could be top pick.

Magic Lamp

Tossing this a vote because I think it has some fun potential (and a great name).  I still think it should be cantrip.

Stalwart Mule

It's still kind of neat.  Super village and super workshop.  My biggest concern would be that it is probably better than Diadem a lot of the time.  OTOH, it can actually combo with Diadem, and it doesn't take away from the usual Diadem use (securing enough money to afford another Province).  And I actually like the proposed name.  it's a bit of a joke, but it works.  :)

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2013, 08:10:15 pm »

Magic Lamp

Tossing this a vote because I think it has some fun potential (and a great name).  I still think it should be cantrip.

Maybe it should even be "Gain an Action card costing up to $5. Play it.

I think it's just boring and weak as written, and cantripping it doesn't excite me much. I do like the "you gain something and get to play it right now" mechanic, that is under explored. Do you think it would be too good if it could go up to $5? I don't.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2013, 08:42:13 pm »

Magic Lamp

Maybe it should even be "Gain an Action card costing up to $5. Play it.

I think it's just boring and weak as written, and cantripping it doesn't excite me much. I do like the "you gain something and get to play it right now" mechanic, that is under explored. Do you think it would be too good if it could go up to $5? I don't.

I think it would be too good if it was that AND cantrip.  Maybe up to $5 but not cantrip.  Hard to say though.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2013, 08:51:43 pm »

Shield of Virtue

It's not crazy stand out, but I like that it can be a good pick after someone else gets Followers.  It's nice that it can both moat against Followers AND clean up Curses after the fact is nice.

Hmm... I actually wonder if even more could be added onto it.  Like, in addition to Moating the attack, you can choose to discard the shield from your hand to gain a Silver in hand.  Or maybe even do the classic broken fan card of an attacking reaction.  Would that work as a prize?  I don't know.

Anyway, that probably isn't necessary.  The action alone is cantrip trashing that can trash from the discard.  That's actually really powerful.  So it doesn't feel crazy stand out powerful, but it definitely pulls its weight.  There are probably plenty of boards where this could be top pick.

When all is said and done, I think I actually like Blessing better. Simpler is always better in my book, and this one seems to me to just grab aspects of all these other cards (Moat, Hermit). Blessing really cleans you up, possibly too well, and kind of has the Counting House problem, and.. okay, maybe I don't like it that much. But more than Shield of Virtue.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2013, 08:12:28 am »

I think it would be too good if it was that AND cantrip.  Maybe up to $5 but not cantrip.  Hard to say though.

Making it a cantrip I think makes it way better than Trusty Steed, unless there are no good Actions to gain. Because, you get to play something that was not in your hand. That is kind of +1 Card and +1 Action, so adding cantrip on top of that would be better than +2 Cards, +2 Actions. Ok, only <$4 Actions, but usually you have something worth your while there. You will always (until it runs out) have at least Tournament as a non-terminal and potential cantrip. I like the "terminal" up to $5 version better. Maybe gaint it to your hand and +1 Action would be a nice compromise, although "play it" always feels nicer.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2013, 11:32:38 am »
+1

Making it a cantrip I think makes it way better than Trusty Steed, unless there are no good Actions to gain. Because, you get to play something that was not in your hand. That is kind of +1 Card and +1 Action, so adding cantrip on top of that would be better than +2 Cards, +2 Actions. Ok, only <$4 Actions, but usually you have something worth your while there. You will always (until it runs out) have at least Tournament as a non-terminal and potential cantrip. I like the "terminal" up to $5 version better. Maybe gaint it to your hand and +1 Action would be a nice compromise, although "play it" always feels nicer.

Trusty Steed has more options than that.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2013, 12:10:23 pm »

I thought that was a given. Still, gaining a $4 seems a solid addition. Usually you can get +$2 out of it if you want, so I do not think the flexibility is so much worse than Trusty Steed. Unless the Silvers and deck flipping are a great option for some reason, I believe Cantrip Magic Lamp is way better.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2013, 12:36:05 pm »

I thought that was a given. Still, gaining a $4 seems a solid addition. Usually you can get +$2 out of it if you want, so I do not think the flexibility is so much worse than Trusty Steed. Unless the Silvers and deck flipping are a great option for some reason, I believe Cantrip Magic Lamp is way better.

I think maybe instead of Cantrip Magic Lantern, it should just be non-terminal. This way it fits into your deck much better, which most of the other Prizes do. It loses the lab-like effect, but keeps all kinds of potential. Plus gaining a village or a Crossroads sort of combos with Diadem.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2013, 01:38:03 pm »
+1

Gaining silvers IS a great option fairly often.  Cantrip Magic Lamp would not just beat Trusty Steed every time.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2013, 01:56:53 pm »

The results are up, and we have 5 winners! Congrats to angrybirds (Golden Hammer), Robz888 (Wizard), dnkywin (Servicemen), nopawnsintended (Stalwart Mule), and me (Magic Lamp)!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2013, 02:48:28 pm »

Congratulations to the winners! I voted for all the winners except Stalwart Mule, plus a few extra cards that I liked.

My card was Ringmaster. I wasn't sure about making an attack-Prize, but it would have to be less punishing than Followers. I should have given it the Noble Brigand, Silver+Gold only clause, and allow it to steal treasure, but I also didn't want to make it too wordy, so it ended up too weak for a Prize.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2013, 02:58:09 pm »

My card was Advertiser. I was unsure of how hard it would be to line this up with other action cards that you'd want multiple copies of, but it seems too good as it is now while not being terribly exciting. Either it should lose the +1 action or the +$2 coins.

It seems I'm off my fan card game these days.  The name was an artifact of one of my earlier ideas, but I guess it doesn't fit no matter what way you swing it.

Edit: And congratulations to the winners! I had voted for 3 of the top 5.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:59:46 pm by markusin »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2013, 03:31:46 pm »
+1

The results are up, and we have 5 winners! Congrats to angrybirds (Golden Hammer), Robz888 (Wizard), dnkywin (Servicemen), nopawnsintended (Stalwart Mule), and me (Magic Lamp)!

...with acknowledgement to nopawnsintended for Rusty the Donkey, which was the inspiration for Stalwart Mule. :)

Are they all winners, or is there a second voting stage?

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2013, 03:48:33 pm »
+1

...with acknowledgement to nopawnsintended for Rusty the Donkey, which was the inspiration for Stalwart Mule. :)

Right, he's the sole credit for Stalwart Mule in my post there. I'm credited for Magic Lamp, which is my submission.

All winners! I don't love that Golden Hammer and Servicemen both won (a little similar to each other), but they're both good cards and I'm glad that they won individually.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2013, 03:50:43 pm »

Right, he's the sole credit for Stalwart Mule in my post there. I'm credited for Magic Lamp, which is my submission.

All winners! I don't love that Golden Hammer and Servicemen both won (a little similar to each other), but they're both good cards and I'm glad that they won individually.

Oops, I misread that part.  My bad!

Is there enough space in the set for 5 prizes?  What does it mean for victory cards in the future? 

Also, did you get the PM I sent a few days ago?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2013, 03:53:31 pm »

Oops, I misread that part.  My bad!

Is there enough space in the set for 5 prizes?  What does it mean for victory cards in the future? 

Also, did you get the PM I sent a few days ago?
The beauty of Prize cards: 5 got to win.

I'm guessing this means there is no more room for VP cards, as Prefecture won and these 5 prizes fill up the remaining 5 slots. Right?

I almost forgot to vote here amidst my busy schedule. I was up at midnight submitting my vote for this.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2013, 03:54:17 pm »
+2

Yay! My first win!

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2013, 03:58:18 pm »
+1

It's also nice that LastFootnote got a win too. He deserves it.

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2013, 04:51:07 pm »
+2

Shield of Virtue

This was mine. I am very proud of it. eHalcyon hit it right on the head with his analysis that the card is meant to provide a good Prize to counter Followers if you connect second (this reduces the snow-ball effect of Tournament a little) and that it is stronger than it first appears.

I am not sure many people caught that the trashing is optional and much stronger than Hermit -- Hermit can't trash Treasures. This is a better anti-junker than Upgrade. Since it's a prize, you can't pick it up early. I think that's why this works as a prize but not a kingdom card.

A straight up Moat/Lighthouse effect really should be on more cards. And it fits here, so I included it. I was going to make it stronger, actually, by adding "You may discard your deck" to the card, as well. Clearly people weren't afraid of super-strong prizes though, so maybe I handicapped my chances by scaling the card back before submitting it.

The name is a reference to the Shield of Virtue in Sleeping Beauty.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2013, 07:23:15 pm »
+1

A straight up Moat/Lighthouse effect really should be on more cards.

I assume the reason it's not is just because that's, like, Moat's special thing, same reason Masquerade is the only pass-cards-around-the-table card. Lighthouse gets to share it only because it's got different timing, being while-in-play instead of reveal-from-hand.

Actually I feel like a lot of the $2 cards have distinctive effects that aren't replicated on any other cards. If you want immunity to Attacks, you have to buy that Moat, you can't just save up for some strictly-better $5 Smithy-Moat. It's a neat little strategic wrinkle.

dnkywin

• Scout
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2013, 10:08:38 pm »

Hmm so Servicemen was just a name I came up with on the fly (don't ask me why I cam up with it, I don't remember). Does anyone have any suggestions for alternate names? I know Renovate was used as one of the submissions to one of the other contests, maybe Refurbish or Reconstruct?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2013, 10:23:08 pm »

Hmm so Servicemen was just a name I came up with on the fly (don't ask me why I cam up with it, I don't remember). Does anyone have any suggestions for alternate names? I know Renovate was used as one of the submissions to one of the other contests, maybe Refurbish or Reconstruct?

I think that the prizes should actually sound like things you could win at a tournament, be it a physical prize (Diadem, Bag of Gold, Trusty Steed) or something more metaphorical (devoted Followers or the hand of the Princess).

"Reputation" would be funny, keeping the common Re- theme in names.  Might not make enough sense though. :P

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2013, 10:33:18 pm »
+1

I think that the prizes should actually sound like things you could win at a tournament, be it a physical prize (Diadem, Bag of Gold, Trusty Steed) or something more metaphorical (devoted Followers or the hand of the Princess).

"Reputation" would be funny, keeping the common Re- theme in names.  Might not make enough sense though. :P

How about Retainers? You win their loyalty by winning the tournament and can then tell them to go make your kingdom better?

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2013, 10:36:40 pm »
+1

I assume the reason it's not is just because that's, like, Moat's special thing, same reason Masquerade is the only pass-cards-around-the-table card. Lighthouse gets to share it only because it's got different timing, being while-in-play instead of reveal-from-hand.

I don't agree with this. I don't think a lot would be lost (and there is something to be gained) from more reactions simply being the Moat reaction (Secret Chamber and Horse Traders come to mind).

This is a prize card, too, so favorite bits can re-appear. The prizes to me are simply strong combinations of the best bits in Dominion. Bag of Gold shares Soothsayer's gain a Gold mechanic, Followers is Witch+Militia's attack, etc.

Actually I feel like a lot of the $2 cards have distinctive effects that aren't replicated on any other cards. If you want immunity to Attacks, you have to buy that Moat, you can't just save up for some strictly-better $5 Smithy-Moat. It's a neat little strategic wrinkle.

It's not a wrinkle if it's not in the Tournament game. Having a counter to Followers always available was the main idea.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2013, 11:13:41 pm »

I'm quite happy my card won:

Wizard

I like it, because it's not super powerful, or too weak, and it combos mildly with Diadem. The interesitng thing about it is, sometimes you would prefer to get your Tournament blocked, because then you can top deck this for Super Lab next time, rather than draw it in to hand for Super Village this time! In general, I just think it's a nice card to hold your deck together as you buy Provinces. It greases the engine just a bit.

All that said, I'm not married to the name. Don't know why I even picked it. Any better suggestions?

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2013, 12:21:17 am »

I don't agree with this. I don't think a lot would be lost (and there is something to be gained) from more reactions simply being the Moat reaction (Secret Chamber and Horse Traders come to mind).

Ah, I think it'd be a lot less interesting if Secret Chamber and Horse Traders just had the Moat reaction.

This is a prize card, too, so favorite bits can re-appear. The prizes to me are simply strong combinations of the best bits in Dominion. Bag of Gold shares Soothsayer's gain a Gold mechanic, Followers is Witch+Militia's attack, etc.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was criticizing Shield of Virtue! The rules are different for Prizes, certainly. I was just talking about the general question of why Moat and Lighthouse are the only blanket attack-blockers in the official game.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2013, 01:00:04 am »
+4

Rusty the Donkey

Stalwart Mule
+4 Actions. Gain a card costing up to $1 per unused Action you have (Action, not Action card).

I am happy to present you with the Secret History of Stalwart Mule also known as Why, Rusty?  Why Must Ye Be So Powerful?

Well, believe it or not, my submission started out as Stalwart Mule (the +4 Actions, Gain a card costing up to $1 per unused Action).  That was my first thought without any refinement.  The goal was to have a prize that would combo with Diadem, but would be useful by itself.  Plus, it would be awesome to try to gain Provinces with a workshop variant.  Something that would take some setting up, and that could only work as a Prize.   Then, the little devil in me thought that it would be fun to add some choices to make it a little more like Trusty Steed (and to give it a name that sounds like Trusty Steed, but dysfunctional).  As with 99 percent of my submissions, the additional choices were good ideas, but it was ill-advised to put everything on one card. 

At the end of the day, Rusty the Donkey accumulated three choices, and each was a different idea.  One of the ideas was a Super Remodel Gain a +$4 more card (Golden Hammer?).  The other was a let's-break-this-card-shall-we addition (a SuperDuper Remodel).  And, the result was Rusty the Donkey.  Everyone's favorite horse-shaped animal, but watch out if he gets going because he'll kick ya in the teeth.

Turns out, the card was good enough with Super Workshop + Super Village by itself (Stalwart Mule), or with Super Remodel by itself (Golden Hammer).  I guess I get too excited about all the effects I could dump into one card, and I'm happy people got excited about the individual effects by themselves.

The rest of the Secret History is not so secret.  LaFn made the generous offer strip away the brokenness from Rusty the Donkey, and put it on the ballot as Stalwart Mule.  I was more than happy that the change was made, because after all, that was my original idea.  I'll never be able to prove it, so I suppose the only two people who'll really know what happened are me and Rusty.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2013, 12:15:47 pm »

Sorry for being scarce. Busy times. eHalcyon, I did get your message. I will soon put up a winners compilation thread. Also, you are correct that there is no more room for Victory cards in the set.

For those of you who are interested, here is the Secret History of Magic Lamp:

I thought it up and submitted it to the contest. The end.

But seriously, gaining Action cards "in hand" is something that can quickly get crazy as a Kingdom card, but could work fine for a Prize. Golden opportunity. Magic Lamp is the simplest version of the concept, so there it is. Robz, I agree that being able to gain $5 cards would be way more exciting. I definitely considered it before submitting, but I thought it would be way too strong compared to Bag of Gold. Yeah, Bag of Gold is weak for a Prize, but compare the two for a moment. I would argue that "Gain an Action card costing up to $5" is in general more powerful than "Gain a Gold". Furthermore, Bag of Gold only puts the gained card on your deck, whereas Magic Lamp effectively puts it into your hand. That's a huge boost. I think I said this stuff earlier, but yeah. That's my rationale.

If down the road playtesting shows that Magic Lamp is weak, I'd be willing to give it +1 Card or +1 Action or both. However, I think there is plenty of excitement in doing stuff with $4 cards, e.g. Band of Misfits. In fact, Magic Lamp is basically a Band of Misfits that lets you keep the copied card. Sometimes you don't want to gain that card (e.g. Death Cart), but usually you do. So I'm happy with it as is until such time as it proves to be weak and/or uninteresting.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2013, 12:21:59 pm »
+1

Rusty the Donkey

Stalwart Mule

I am happy to present you with the Secret History of Stalwart Mule also known as Why, Rusty?  Why Must Ye Be So Powerful?

Well, believe it or not, my submission started out as Stalwart Mule (the +4 Actions, Gain a card costing up to $1 per unused Action).  That was my first thought without any refinement.  The goal was to have a prize that would combo with Diadem, but would be useful by itself.  Plus, it would be awesome to try to gain Provinces with a workshop variant.  Something that would take some setting up, and that could only work as a Prize.   Then, the little devil in me thought that it would be fun to add some choices to make it a little more like Trusty Steed (and to give it a name that sounds like Trusty Steed, but dysfunctional).  As with 99 percent of my submissions, the additional choices were good ideas, but it was ill-advised to put everything on one card. 

At the end of the day, Rusty the Donkey accumulated three choices, and each was a different idea.  One of the ideas was a Super Remodel Gain a +$4 more card (Golden Hammer?).  The other was a let's-break-this-card-shall-we addition (a SuperDuper Remodel).  And, the result was Rusty the Donkey.  Everyone's favorite horse-shaped animal, but watch out if he gets going because he'll kick ya in the teeth.

Turns out, the card was good enough with Super Workshop + Super Village by itself (Stalwart Mule), or with Super Remodel by itself (Golden Hammer).  I guess I get too excited about all the effects I could dump into one card, and I'm happy people got excited about the individual effects by themselves.

The rest of the Secret History is not so secret.  LaFn made the generous offer strip away the brokenness from Rusty the Donkey, and put it on the ballot as Stalwart Mule.  I was more than happy that the change was made, because after all, that was my original idea.  I'll never be able to prove it, so I suppose the only two people who'll really know what happened are me and Rusty.

I see no reason to doubt your story. On the topic of card design, I do agree you could learn a thing or two from Ivan Chesnokov.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2013, 06:06:56 pm »

All that said, I'm not married to the name. Don't know why I even picked it. Any better suggestions?

Villa?

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2013, 10:08:09 pm »

Rusty the Donkey

Stalwart Mule

I see no reason to doubt your story. On the topic of card design, I do agree you could learn a thing or two from Ivan Chesnokov.

I agree.  I too often "change thing that is fine for no reason except to look different from comrade."  :)

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2013, 03:38:16 pm »

Villa?

Could you win a Villa in a Tournament? Yeah, I guess you could. That's not bad. I've always thought Villa would be a good name for a Victory card, though.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2013, 03:42:37 pm »
+3

Villa?

Could you win a Villa in a Tournament? Yeah, I guess you could. That's not bad. I've always thought Villa would be a good name for a Victory card, though.

How about Carriage?  The two possibilities remind me of variations on Stables and Crossroads.  "Carriage" is vaguely related to both.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2013, 03:54:56 pm »

Yeah, I like Carriage, too.

I'm not a huge fan of the name "Golden Hammer". If angrybirds is OK with it, I wouldn't mind a change there. Nicrosil actually submitted an identical card called "Restructure", and I had to tell him that the card had already been submitted. First time that's happened so far. Anyhow, I wouldn't mind that name. Or another name.

Or if angrybirds is really attached to the name, we can keep it. That's fine, too.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2013, 04:09:48 pm »
+1

I'm not a huge fan of the name "Golden Hammer". If angrybirds is OK with it, I wouldn't mind a change there. Nicrosil actually submitted an identical card called "Restructure", and I had to tell him that the card had already been submitted. First time that's happened so far. Anyhow, I wouldn't mind that name. Or another name.

Or if angrybirds is really attached to the name, we can keep it. That's fine, too.

"Restructure" is a verb though, and thus not very prize-like. 

Is there a way we can combine Golden Hammer and Servicemen into one card?  Magic Lamp and Stalwart Mule look a bit similar as well, but there are enough subtle differences that I don't mind so much.  And then we can see if we can find a good name for it.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2013, 04:25:08 pm »

Is there a way we can combine Golden Hammer and Servicemen into one card?  Magic Lamp and Stalwart Mule look a bit similar as well, but there are enough subtle differences that I don't mind so much.  And then we can see if we can find a good name for it.

A nice thought, but I'm not sure how we'd combine them. I think "$4 more into your hand" is a bit much. If I had to "combine" them, I'd just take Servicemen, which I like a bit better, but I'm not going to rob angrybirds of his hard-earned Victory.

Nic

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2013, 04:51:48 pm »

Of course, if we just instruct people to print out their three favorite prizes of these five, we'd have space for another victory card without hurting anyone's feelings, and the redundancy would take care of itself.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2013, 05:17:18 pm »

A nice thought, but I'm not sure how we'd combine them. I think "$4 more into your hand" is a bit much. If I had to "combine" them, I'd just take Servicemen, which I like a bit better, but I'm not going to rob angrybirds of his hard-earned Victory.

Maybe by offering a choice? Then again, Kalashnikov. I don't know.  :P

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2013, 06:29:02 pm »

Villa?

Yes, I guess is closer to Estate than to Village. However, is in between, at least in my mind, that's why I suggested it. I also think some kind of vacation as a Prize would be fine, and seems like something remotely related with the effect. Something like "Trip" but that feels more middle-ages-like. Again, it is in the vicinity of Villa idea.

angrybirds

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2013, 11:18:11 pm »

i dont have secret history and am not excessively attached to the name

really the card is simple taking the idea from remodel the to expand then to golden hammer

i like the idea of being able to trash tournaments especially into provinces but if servicemen is preferred and as they share the same common element i dont mind having that card go into the group and mine not

i was happy to be among the winning cards but i think it would be better to take a card that received less votes with a distinct element or effect for the overall project than to have two cards that are extremely similar both be included

i wouldnt be offended if my card was replaced by one of the cards with eight votes i know i voted for favour and that ha a very distinct element as it is kinda a oneshot
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 2.439 seconds with 20 queries.