Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Just had this idea for a duration super-trasher. Would it work?  (Read 2105 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
Just had this idea for a duration super-trasher. Would it work?
« on: February 14, 2014, 01:49:41 am »

Tsunami
$5 Action - Attack - Duration
This turn and next turn: At the end of your action phase, trash at least 2 and up to 5 cards from your hand. Each other player must trash a card from their hand costing at least $2.
When you discard this from play, trash it.

(Yes, the attack happens both turns too.)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Just had this idea for a duration super-trasher. Would it work?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 02:08:27 am »

The second turn attack is currently unblockable by Moat and Lighthouse.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 02:48:12 am »
+1

The official FAQ for Moat says "When someone else plays an Attack card, you may reveal the Moat... You are then unaffected by that Attack card." So one Moat revealed when the Tsunami was played would negate the attack for both turns.

(http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Moat)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:49:41 am by LibraryAdventurer »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 07:26:18 am »
+2

It doesn't seem intuitive for an attack to fail because you revealed a Moat or had a lighthouse in play last turn, or for the 2nd part of the attack to succeed despite you revealing a Moat.

Duration attacks are fine (although many disagree), but the attack should only take effect immediately upon playing to avoid those confusing rules parts.

If you do want an effect across turns, you could do a non-attack interaction, like Bishop (make the trashing optional), or an attack that hurts opponents both this turn and next turn (like Ghost Ship).

As for the card itself it seems fine but doesn't seem to offer much above and beyond Chapel as far as game experiences go. Being able to trash every bad card in your deck with a single play may make 5/2 openings too good. However what it does offer uniquely is the very high risk, like Lookout, and while this isn't necessarily a bad thing, I personally can't stand the high risk gambling of Lookout as the game progresses. You've already invested in buying the card, so it doing nothing for you is bad enough, but actively hurting you is awful. In IRL games who'd want to be the person who tells the other players that they do in fact have to trash at least 2 of the cards in their hand when they don't want to trash any?

Then again every player is different and that's just a personal opinion. If you like that kind of card then who am I to judge.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 08:24:54 am »
+2

Forcefully trashing a card in hand is a too strong Attack. In multiplayer, it becomes worse, because you have to forcefully trash many cards. I think in 3 players, it may get to a state in which everyone is destroying everyone else's deck and no-one can make real progress. With Saboteur, at least cards in hand are protected. In this case, to use something besides Copper to buy a useful card, you need to be lucky enough for no Attack to be played. Even discarding a card costing at least $2 is a devastating Attack because of the way it stacks. Notice that Pillage does not stack, for instance.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 08:39:47 am »
+1

Forcefully trashing a card in hand is a too strong Attack.

It's basically combining a discard attack (eg Militia) with a trashing attack (one of which is in every big box set except Prosperity, which has Bishop's optional trashing instead). I don't think that's necessarily too strong. Sir Michael is already this kind of card, although the 2 aren't linked. However it should be limited by a clause like Taxman's ("each player with 5 or more cards in hand...").
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:52:05 am by NoMoreFun »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 01:52:08 am »

Yeah, probably not a great idea.
but Here's a revision that might work slightly better anyway:

Tsunami
This turn and next turn: +1 Card. Each other player must trash a card from their hand. At the end of your action phase, trash up to 5 cards from your hand. If you trash less than two cards then each other player may draw a card.
When you discard this from play, trash it.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 11:12:58 am »

Still has the issue that you have to remember who was hit by the attack and who wasn't. As always i suggest to mark up hit players for this reason.

Example that sets aside a card (as the mark) and also weakens the attack a bit:

Tsunami
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand sets aside a card from their hand face down. If he does, after drawing cards during his next cleanup phase, he puts it in his hand and trashes two cards from it.
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Card.
At the end of your action phase trash up to 5 cards from your hand.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.184 seconds with 21 queries.