Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Most instructive cards  (Read 12714 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Most instructive cards
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 04:26:16 am »
+5

KC/TR/Pr + Duration cards: Sometimes the author doesn't even know the rules.

Ironworks/Great Hall/Trader: Sometimes Dominion can be quite complex.
First you gain a card, then you go back in time and would-gain that card, that's odd as you can't would-gain without a gain, but the would-gain causes the gain to no longer be a gain. Get it?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 05:38:00 am »
+2

Steward, Jack : Cards with weak effects but fitting multiple roles can be very strong.
I read this and thought: What could a Hollywood actor teach us about Dominion?

Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 09:33:16 am »
+1

Since the first set I played with was Seaside, for me it was Salvager that taught me (at least within a Dominion context) to get over my pack rat tendencies and actually get rid of stuff. Once I could handle trashing cards for benefit, I was able to move on to trashing cards when it did not give me a direct bonus.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 11:43:59 am »
+6

Ironworks/Great Hall/Trader: Sometimes Dominion can be quite complex.
First you gain a card, then you go back in time and would-gain that card, that's odd as you can't would-gain without a gain, but the would-gain causes the gain to no longer be a gain. Get it?

I'm oddly proud that I was the one who originally asked this rules question, thereby sparking the whole "blue dog" line of gags.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 12:15:26 pm »
+3

Moneylender, anyone?

When I first started playing Dominion, I would never use Moneylender because I didn't want to lose my Coppers for a short term boost. I hadn't yet occurred to me that, when you take into account the -1$ from trashing a Copper, Moneylender only gives you as much as Silver does, but costs an action.

Once you realize that, you think "Wait then, why would anyone ever get this card, unless...unless trashing Copper is a GOOD THING." Moneylender hints to the new player that even Copper is a junk card, much more so that Chapel does. If Copper is a card you don't want in your deck, then what does that mean for Estate and Curse?

Oh, if only I had caught on to that sooner.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 04:07:02 pm »
+1

Witch: Cursing attacks are exceptionally strong.

I learned this in my very first game of Dominion.

Edit: so okay, to not be glib about it, that first game taught me, or rather planted the seed of the idea, that you can't really choose a "play style" for yourself, you have to be willing to constantly adapt to what's available in the kingdom and what your opponents do.

How can you learn this in your first game?  I mean, cursing is exceptionally strong relative to what?
Well you *do* need a signature...

Jean-Michel

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jean-Michel
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 04:51:34 pm »
+1

Laboratory, which might sound surprising. At first I thought it was too highly priced for its benefit. I used to compare it to Village and Smithy. Village gives +1 Action more and +1 Card less compared to Lab. How could Lab cost $2 more than it? I thought 1 card couldn't make that much difference. Smithy is also cheaper than Lab and still draws more than Lab. When I actually tried buying Labs I finally understood its strength. Lab is chainable and reliable. Non-terminal draw is good.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 06:02:05 pm »

Laboratory, which might sound surprising. At first I thought it was too highly priced for its benefit. I used to compare it to Village and Smithy. Village gives +1 Action more and +1 Card less compared to Lab. How could Lab cost $2 more than it? I thought 1 card couldn't make that much difference. Smithy is also cheaper than Lab and still draws more than Lab. When I actually tried buying Labs I finally understood its strength. Lab is chainable and reliable. Non-terminal draw is good.

I definitely remember concluding that Village was better than Lab.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 07:27:56 pm »
+2

I remember thinking "Lab? That's so overpriced! It's just a reverse Village, why can't it be 3 too?"
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2013, 07:29:04 pm »

The first action card I bought in my first game was a witch.
My favorite victory was when I beat my brother and his friend in an Alchemy game with Familiar.
Now, most of the people I play with veto curse-givers. I realize the importance (particularly for beginners) of learning how to build a good deck without having to worry about attacks--but there's nothing I like better than handing out the curses. ;D

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2013, 08:58:17 pm »
+1

I remember thinking "Lab? That's so overpriced! It's just a reverse Village, why can't it be 3 too?"
I feel so much better now that I know this wasn't just me.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2013, 04:00:22 am »

When I was a newbie (still not familiar with all of the cards, and I didn't know that Lab existed), I played a game with Village and went full village idiot. That game made me think that it would be pretty cool if there was a card that had +2 cards, +1 action since I didn't get to use most of the actions I had and I wasn't drawing enough cards. I was surprised when I found out the card actually did exist, but I wasn't surprised when I noticed it was a $5 card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2013, 06:35:49 am »
+4

I bought tons of Alchemists in my first Alchemy game.
In that game i learned i hate Possession.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2013, 10:10:14 am »
+2

Loan.

I remember when I first saw this card, I thought "who the hell would ever want to use that?"  Up to that point, I could see the use of pretty much every other card, but Loan just boggled my mind.  It was only once I realized that trashing simply for the sake of trashing was a good thing, and that Copper was actually a shitty card, that I started to appreciate Loan.  It's still a weak card, but it has its place.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2013, 11:54:08 am »

Loan.

I remember when I first saw this card, I thought "who the hell would ever want to use that?"  Up to that point, I could see the use of pretty much every other card, but Loan just boggled my mind.  It was only once I realized that trashing simply for the sake of trashing was a good thing, and that Copper was actually a shitty card, that I started to appreciate Loan.  It's still a weak card, but it has its place.

I had similar feelings, but I've been burned so many times by Loan that I can't stand it.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2013, 12:01:28 pm »

Loan.

I had similar feelings, but I've been burned so many times by Loan that I can't stand it.
There seems to be a pattern here. If new players don't understand why you'd ever want to get a certain card, chances are that card is terribly weak.

Biggest problem with loan is that it doesn't trash your Estates. Unless you welcome Estates in your deck (Baron, crossroads,etc.), this makes it a pretty weak trasher even when its at its best.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2013, 12:04:08 pm »
+3

There seems to be a pattern here. If new players don't understand why you'd ever want to get a certain card, chances are that card is terribly weak.
chapel?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2013, 12:30:53 pm »

chapel?
Meh, there's a subtle difference with Chapel. Players THINK they know why you'd get Chapel: To trash curses from the Witch.

I'm sure there's a big counter-example to my statement that I'm not thinking of though.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2013, 04:08:27 pm »
+1

chapel?
Meh, there's a subtle difference with Chapel. Players THINK they know why you'd get Chapel: To trash curses from the Witch.

I'm sure there's a big counter-example to my statement that I'm not thinking of though.

Chancellor! And the reason they don't see coming is you're doing Dominion puzzles.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2013, 11:43:42 pm »
+2

chapel?

Chancellor! And the reason they don't see coming is you're doing Dominion puzzles.
Dominion puzzles have proved that Chancellor is in fact the best card, in disguise.

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2013, 06:22:25 pm »

Chancellor: At first it taught me that faster deck cycling really makes a huge difference in the beginning. Then it taught me that (often) it is not worth it on a terminal because it either leads to collision or just does not allow you to play it as often as less potent cyclers that give you +1 action.
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

elahrairah13

• Spy
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2013, 12:33:23 am »
+1

Witch: Cursing attacks are exceptionally strong.

I learned this in my very first game of Dominion.

Edit: so okay, to not be glib about it, that first game taught me, or rather planted the seed of the idea, that you can't really choose a "play style" for yourself, you have to be willing to constantly adapt to what's available in the kingdom and what your opponents do.

How can you learn this in your first game?  I mean, cursing is exceptionally strong relative to what?

One player buys Witch.
The other player does not buy Witch.

The player who buys Witch wins.
The other player learns that cursing is exceptionally strong relative to their crappy non-Witch strategy.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 2.432 seconds with 21 queries.