Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Beware the shuffle luck fairy  (Read 1615 times)

Compynerd255

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
    • Betafreak Games
Beware the shuffle luck fairy
« on: September 12, 2013, 02:30:02 pm »

This is my first game report. I'm playing basic Dominion against my opponent on this board with Chapel, Festival and Lab. Both of us trashed our decks down and built up towards megaturn strategies. Both of us were doing quite well, each of us bought 3 Provinces on T18, but because he had distracted himself with cards that needed coupling (e.g. Throne Room), he got a bad hand on T19 and lost the game. He messaged "gg" to me as I churned through my deck. :)

And ain't Lab a fantastic card?

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130912/log.516cac02e4b0ad3a8159f4e8.1379009814009.txt

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
Re: Beware the shuffle luck fairy
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 02:41:38 pm »

This is my first game report. I'm playing basic Dominion against my opponent on this board with Chapel, Festival and Lab. Both of us trashed our decks down and built up towards megaturn strategies. Both of us were doing quite well, each of us bought 3 Provinces on T18, but because he had distracted himself with cards that needed coupling (e.g. Throne Room), he got a bad hand on T19 and lost the game. He messaged "gg" to me as I churned through my deck. :)

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130912/log.516cac02e4b0ad3a8159f4e8.1379009814009.txt

I know this probably isn't what you were looking for when you posted it here, but three Provinces by turn 18 is incredibly slow.  BM gets four by turn 17.  You either need a better strategy, or just play BM.

Also, I don't think there is any good megaturn potential in base...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 02:43:20 pm »

I think your opponent had terribly Chapel luck, colliding Chapel and Militia in T3 which is a huge disadvantage. Missing on the Lab you got on the first reshuffle slows down the Chapeling a lot. He gambles too much with the early Moat, which ends up making another bad collision with Militia, but I think the difference was already there. After that, he was only playing catchup.

I think the Throne Rooms are actually a good idea here if you have 4, maybe after some Festivals and Labs, but he could not get to 5 that easy at that point, so that was a desperate gamble.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 02:43:59 pm »
+1

I know this probably isn't what you were looking for when you posted it here, but three Provinces by turn 18 is incredibly slow.  BM gets four by turn 17.  You either need a better strategy, or just play BM.

There was Militia, and the engine easily plays a Militia every turn after T5 or 6.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 02:46:59 pm »

There was Militia, and the engine easily plays a Militia every turn after T5 or 6.

I didn't notice the Militia...  Or more, I didn't read the log and just went off of what he said.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 03:21:18 pm »

Just because your engine didn't green until T17 doesn't mean it was too slow - more likely, the decision when to green was made in reaction to what his opponent was doing. His opponent wasn't playing BM, so it was safer to keep building. In an engine vs engine game, it's nice to keep building and be the first to triple-Province, because then your opponent can't match you without letting you win the next turn.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 04:36:22 pm »
+6

Welcome to the game report section then. I'd advice you to selectively ignore some 'feedback' you get from people not even reading your log. Anyhow, I think you mostly played well. Especially the start, and that is the most important part of the game.

on turn 10 you seem to forget to play your money, but I'm going to assume that's a mistake.
Buying a silver however isn't good, for $4 a throne room is better.
In a deck like this one, the good thing about throne room is that the first (two) of them you draw can function as laboratory, whereas the last (two) will be silvers (by doubling festival/militia). Therefor they increase the chance of drawing your deck when they should, and in stead of dead labs that draw cards you don't have, they provide money in the end.
Getting lots of them is actually good.

by the same reasoning, I'd get throne room+festival on turn 11 in stead of gold+moat. Moat isn't that strong, although it's nice if it protects you.
You only need moat if your opponent is going for lots of council rooms + militia in the end.

Turn 12 is the first real mistake: you can't draw your deck now, and adding a gold doesn't help at all. For $7 your options are laboratory, festival+moat, throne room+moat

Turn 13 you seem to realize the problem and get rid of some silvers. Better is to use those silvers to get some more draw into your deck. What you do here is a serious downfall in buying power. Playing it safe is a good plan if you're ahead, but now you're playing it "too safe". Your opponent, who was miles behind, actually gets a chance to get back into the game. You're really lucky that on the crucial turn he draws 3 of his 3 green cards. There was some serious chance there you'd lose a game you already had in your pockets before.

The ideal scenario towards the end goes like this: you add some more throne rooms, labs & festivals. They will (potentially) give you lots of buys and you'll threaten to win by buying all the estates at once and winning by depleting 3 piles. This threat forces your opponent to buy points, so all the estates won't be enough for you. Because you can keep buying engine components and he is forced to buy green, his deck will stumble or you'll just out buy him at some point.
Join the Dominion League!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.828 seconds with 20 queries.