Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10  All

Author Topic: New Dominion CONTEST  (Read 56135 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: New Dominion CONTEST
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2013, 06:30:59 am »

As for balance, it is kind of like Walled Village because I think it's healthy for a card like it to be on the low end of the power curve.  It is probably going to lose out to any other village, and possibly even be passed up as the only village sometimes in favor of big money.  But it's a Fishing Village with a +buy, so I am pretty skeptical about it never being bought ever. Maybe you like your villages strong though, some people don't like Walled Village, and it is in fact a promo.  That's a reasonable place to be. 

I'm kind of going to give up on the clarity issues. I mean, it's a replacement effect, just like Trader.  And Donald changed his mind on his own interpretation of Trader, let alone all the people who tried to figure out Trader+Ironworks on their own, so if you want me to execute a replacement effect idea I have without any ambiguity at all, you're holding me to a higher standard than Donald.  And if you're going to do that, I would at least like to make 8 bucks an hour or something.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 06:32:30 am by popsofctown »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2013, 07:40:54 pm »

Channel
1$ Action - Reaction

+2 Actions

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2013, 10:01:22 pm »

Channel
1$ Action - Reaction

+2 Actions
I assume the point is that you swap the top card of your deck with your entire hand, but the wording at the moment suggests that you draw a card into your hand, then put all (usually 6) cards back on top of your deck ... and presumably in an order of your choice. How often is this going to be useful?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2013, 10:43:59 pm »

Channel
1$ Action - Reaction

+2 Actions
I assume the point is that you swap the top card of your deck with your entire hand, but the wording at the moment suggests that you draw a card into your hand, then put all (usually 6) cards back on top of your deck ... and presumably in an order of your choice. How often is this going to be useful?
That's the wording I want.

I think it will be useful often.  I can't give your rhetorical question much more answer than that if you're just going to restate the penalty from a penalty-reward card.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2013, 12:09:01 am »

Channel
1$ Action - Reaction

+2 Actions
That's the wording I want.

I think it will be useful often.  I can't give your rhetorical question much more answer than that if you're just going to restate the penalty from a penalty-reward card.
Ok, let me see if I can work out what circumstances it will be useful in. As you say, the replacing your hand with a single card is meant to be the penalty, and the card-gaining the reward, but how often will gaining two cheap cards be worth sacrificing my next turn? In fact, how often does a Reaction to an Attack even have a penalty attached to it? I think maybe you could get away with "Reveal and discard this. Gain a card costing up to $4."

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2013, 01:18:28 am »

You don't replace your hand with a single card.  I told you, the card was intended as written.

Any handsize attack can leave you with too little to buy a 5$ card, and sometimes 2 4's are better.

A game with cursing can just as easily make a regular hand unable to buy a 5$ card, and sometimes 2 4's are better.

You are totally missing that as written, the card lets you setup hands Haven/Courtyard style.

And that against deck inspection it is very powerful.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2013, 01:35:46 am »

You don't replace your hand with a single card.  I told you, the card was intended as written.

You said, "that's the wording I want", which is ambiguous. :P

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2013, 01:40:07 am »

It's not ambiguous, he never proposed an alternate wording. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:46:02 am by popsofctown »

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2013, 01:43:55 am »

Any handsize attack can leave you with too little to buy a 5$ card, and sometimes 2 4's are better.

A game with cursing can just as easily make a regular hand unable to buy a 5$ card, and sometimes 2 4's are better.

You are totally missing that as written, the card lets you setup hands Haven/Courtyard style.

And that against deck inspection it is very powerful.
My apologies - as well as reading the card wrong, I misread your explanation that it was right. So you're actually leaving yourself with an empty hand for your next turn, with the bonuses of getting 2 4s and some control over your next couple of hands. I still strongly suspect that it's not as useful as you think, but I appreciate that you're trying to offer something different to what's already out there. Its power will depend very heavily on what Attacks you might be facing, and what cheap cards you can gain, but that's part of why I dislike it because I think it's too situational - which, admittedly, just about any $1 is going to be.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2013, 01:50:34 am »

I feel like "Necropolis, Copper, or nothing" is an interesting enough choice on its own, which is why it can provide the shell for a reaction that is far more situational.  It's the same philosophy behind Tunnel: not all boards will actually make the reaction useful, but the basic effect is a mixup anyway.

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2013, 02:17:20 am »

Poisoned Chalice

$5

+2$

Each other player either gains a curse, or gains two coppers, putting one in hand and the other on top of their deck.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2013, 02:30:43 am »

It's not ambiguous, he never proposed an alternate wording.

Well, he mentioned swapping the cards around.  You're right, that's not an actual wording.  Still, I thought you were agreeing with his interpretation too.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2013, 02:39:45 pm »

Elba
4$ Action

+2 Cards
+1 Buy
You may play all Actions and Treasures from your Island mat, in any order.  (If you play one, play every single one)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
In games using this, when you buy a card, if it's not the first card you bought this turn, gain the card you bought to your Island mat instead of your discard pile.

Opted for clunky wording to try to be crystal clear on the Trader interaction.
Best use for Ruined Village ever, right?  If this gets to play testing, I would recommend trying it out with a Looter.  I could see this being overpowered in a Chapel or Mountebank or Ambassador kind of way, it might be unskippable, but the other purchases should be interesting and the game should have a unique feel.

I thought about giving the card less powerful vanilla bonuses, but the card really needs to be powerful to keep up with its own "games using this" rule.  If the vanilla bonuses were too far behind average engine components, a good engine would always beat a heavy Elba user just by buying Victory cards to the Island mat.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:47:15 pm by popsofctown »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2013, 02:56:13 pm »

Elba
4$ Action

+2 Cards
+1 Buy
You may play all Actions and Treasures from your Island mat, in any order.  (If you play one, play every single one)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
In games using this, when you buy a card, if it's not the first card you bought this turn, gain the card you bought to your Island mat instead of your discard pile.

Best use for Ruined Village ever, right?  If this gets to play testing, I would recommend trying it out with a Looter.  I could see this being overpowered in a Chapel or Mountebank or Ambassador kind of way, it might be unskippable, but the other purchases should be interesting and the game should have a unique feel.

I thought about giving the card less powerful vanilla bonuses, but the card really needs to be powerful to keep up with its own "games using this" rule.  If the vanilla bonuses were too far behind average engine components, a good engine would always beat a heavy Elba user just by buying Victory cards to the Island mat.

Not sure of the specific implementation, but the concept is very interesting.  Playing this with Island would be kind of funny, having you put stuff back on the Island immediately.

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2013, 04:29:46 pm »

Elba
4$ Action

+2 Cards
+1 Buy

When you play the cards on the Island mat, do they get shuffled back into your deck, or do they stay? If it's the latter, its broken beyond belief, but if it's the former than I'm not sure of its power. Buying ruins or coppers to play them isn't a great idea, and ruins don't add up to mega-turn material. If it's a mountebank, than I would almost rather have it in my discard pile so I can shuffle it in next time, instead of having to play the Elba.

Also, the implementation doesn't lead to putting 5 costs on your mat. If you have two buys than your options could be to buy a copper and a 5 cost, adding a junk card to your deck in order to activate Elba, or spending 8$ on a silver / 3 cost to put that 5 on the mat.

Additionally, there arises the problem of not buying Elba. It's just impossible. Because Elba says "in games using this" as opposed to "when this is in play" it makes it unavoidable if you want to buy more than one card in a turn, as  the second card goes on the mat no matter what. This should be changed to "you may put the card on the Island mat", or "when this is in play etc."

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2013, 05:07:44 pm »

I agree, buying Copper to put 5$ Action cards on your mat is usually unwise.  I'm not sure why you think 5$ actions need to be on the mat sometimes for it to be a fun card, though.  I mean, Band of Misfits can't ever play 5$ action cards, does that make it a miserable card?

And it's not impossible at all to forgo purchasing Elba.  Nomad Camp is generally better on a Silk Road board.  And anyway, y'know, it's hard to forgo buying Ambassador sometimes too.

Dominion_Contests

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2013, 05:17:36 pm »

I'm not sure if we're encouraged, allowed, discouraged or disallowed to comment on the submitted cards (because that may influence the judges' ranking), but here are some of my thoughts on the cards. If it's the latter, I'll try to remove this part of the post as soon that is pointed out.

It is encouraged!!!

Thanks for all the submissions some felt a little close to what I would consider "not different enough" but lucky for those cards/users my family thought otherwise.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2013, 05:24:29 pm »

Name: Reeve
Type: Action
Text: +$1.
Take a coin token.
---------------------------------
When another player plays an attack card, you may discard this from your hand.  If you do take coin tokens equal to half the cost of that attack, rounded up.
Cost: $4

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2013, 05:28:51 pm »

Windmill
Action
+1 Action, +1 Card, +1 Buy.
---
When you gain this card, +4$.
Cost 3$
This is way too close to a 3$ Peddler.  If you play it, and you produce at least 3$ the turn you play it, which is terribly easy, it's a Peddler.  But it's actually a Peddler with a perk, because now you gain another Peddler o.o .
In games with this card I would buy a Windmill or another card with +buy with every 3-6$ purchase until the stack ran out.  I appreciate the idea, but even Fishing Village isn't a 7$ quality card priced at 3$.

It's worth noting that the only card that can gain copies of itself while providing more than 1 vanilla bonus is Rats.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:33:28 pm by popsofctown »

Dominion_Contests

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2013, 05:44:59 pm »

Windmill
Action
+1 Action, +1 Card, +1 Buy.
---
When you gain this card, +4$.
Cost 3$
This is way too close to a 3$ Peddler.  If you play it, and you produce at least 3$ the turn you play it, which is terribly easy, it's a Peddler.  But it's actually a Peddler with a perk, because now you gain another Peddler o.o .
In games with this card I would buy a Windmill or another card with +buy with every 3-6$ purchase until the stack ran out.  I appreciate the idea, but even Fishing Village isn't a 7$ quality card priced at 3$.

It's worth noting that the only card that can gain copies of itself while providing more than 1 vanilla bonus is Rats.
I find there to be a little more there than what you're describing, but I'll reserve any comments until the submissions are closed.

Those of you who have submissions please check the text I have under "submissions" to make sure they are correct.

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2013, 05:46:01 pm »

Don't know if this has been asked, but is there a limit on the number of cards in the kingdom pile? (e.g. rats?)

ta56636

• Bishop
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2013, 05:52:10 pm »

Band of Outcasts: So you can play money from your hand when buying a card? This will be really nice on self-trashers.

Yeah - I went round the houses on this and still can't make up my mind.  I did test it on Urchin, and it didn't make a huge difference, but that's hardly a power trasher!

ta56636

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2013, 06:11:27 pm »

Bit of a shot in the dark as I haven't quite had time to test them myself - but I thought - why not!

Honours
These are spread out in a fan and can be bought in any order - there is one of each type
They are part of the kingdom

Card details in images.

ta56636

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2013, 06:13:50 pm »

next 4

ta56636

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2013, 06:14:27 pm »

last 2
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 17 queries.