Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Author Topic: New Dominion CONTEST  (Read 55605 times)

Dominion_Contests

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
New Dominion CONTEST
« on: August 26, 2013, 06:21:01 pm »
+3

Now Dominion has made its "last" expansion but I’m curious if any stone has been left unturned. To satisfy this curiosity I'm offering Prizes!
The prizes are as follows: and the winners are:
1st:Archetype with Artisan.   Winner of $10 Amazon Gift Card and Governor Promo Card.

Most Original:Popsofctown with Halfpenny. Winner of either a Governor Promo Card or $3 Amazon/Paypal gift

Most Game Ready:RobertJ with Benefactor. Winner of either a Governor Promo Card or $3 Amazon/Paypal gift

Will the winners please PM me so we can send you your winnings.
Entrance
1. Each user may enter as many cards as they like.
2. The only restriction is once a card is submitted its final and no similar card can be posted.
3. Cards must be submitted as a reply to this post.

Card Guidelines
1. Cards should be compatible with all other official Dominion cards and Promos and should adhere to current mechanics as much as possible.
2. Cards must be, generally, unlike any other in official existence or any other submitted before your card. So if you have a new idea and put +2 Action +1 Cards on it, the card is acceptable if the idea is original.
3. Cards may not add new Tokens or Chips.
4. Cards don't need any art; just the text is good enough.

Contest Timetable
1. Once a card has been posted to this forum, I will determine if the card meets the Card Guidelines. If the card meets the guidelines I will edit it into the bottom of this post.
2. From this time until Saturday September 7th Midnight EST cards can be submitted.
3.From September 7th to 10/11th my family and I will deliberate/decide which card is the best.
4. September 11/12th I will post the winners and September 13/14th I will send out the prizes.

Winning
1. Each card will be judged by 4 top notch Dominion fiends.
2. The Judges will rate the cards as follows: 1-10 for Originality, 1-10 for how well the card interacts with the original Dominion cards (Play testing) and 1-10 for their opinion of the card.
3. Originality will be worth 50% of the cards rating and Playtested-ness and Personal Opinion of the card will each count for 25% of the rating.
4. I will judge the 10 best cards. Those cards will go on to the FAMILY ROUND where the other 3 judges will together determine which is the best card. In the event of a tie the 1st round score will be used to break the tie.

Fairness
1. I reserve the right to change these rules if necessary. I hope not but you never know.

**Have fun and I can't wait to see what is made!**
Changed the deadlines to allow users time to prepare for both contests
F i n a l     R e s u l t s
In order of highest score

1.35.Name: Artisan
   Originality: 9/10
   Playtest: 7/10
   Opinion:7/10
   Overall: 32/40 
    8/10

Group Thoughts: We loved the originality of the concept and the only knock is Artisan’s minor similarity to knights (set random deck). To be honest the concept kind of surprised me and preformed much more unique and balanced than I previous thought. Just a few quibbles, many in our group thought the silver in the Artisan deck was unnecessary and many times the estates that were given out were benefit enough. Artisan should be an Attack card dropping the playtest score slightly

2.36.Name: Halfpenny
   Originality: 10/10
   Playtest: 3/10
   Opinion: 7/10
   Overall: 30/40 
    7.5/10

Group Thoughts: The card plays more like a condition, since you rarely find a viable situation to buy a halfpenny. Cool combination when playing with trashers (Remodel + Halfpenny,  Remake+Halfpenny ). In our games Halfpenny was never bought and would have been rated higher if there were a way to justify buying it.

3.19.Name: Relay Rider
   Originality: 8/10
   Opinion: 6/10
   Overall: 29/40 
    7.25/10

Group Thoughts: Liked the concept but the card just couldn’t win on our table. On just about every table we’d have to forego a better option. A key issue was with the order of the card’s effects, since you draw before going into your discard pile to get a Relay Rider, you have to shuffle your deck and lose the extra draw. Possibly you put that effect in there to slow the card down; it did too much.

4.8.Name: Benefactor
   Originality: 6/10
   Playtest: 9/10
   Opinion: 8/10
   Overall: 29/40 
    7.25/10
tie broken by my original score
Group Thoughts: Can be too strong with certain cards (duke dutchy, feodum, gardens). The issue is Benefactor is like a more useable talisman. There’s a reason talisman is so weak most of the time. In game with a special victory or need to gain a lot of cards (gardens vineyard etc) this out performs a lot of decks when you can put multiple in play. Over all a lot of  fun to play, just a bit too similar to existing gain cards.[size]

5.31.Name: Riddling Witch
   Originality: 5/10
   Playtest: 9/10
   Opinion: 8/10
   Overall: 27/40 
    6.75/10

Group Thoughts: Plays a lot like other curse givers, and similarly the only real playtesting knock was in too many games you had to play the card (you have to play most curse givers). Needless to say the card found success at our table, but we also felt the card came up short on originality.  Great fun card though.

6.26.Name: Titan
   Originality: 8/10
   Playtest: 5/10
   Opinion: 4/10
   Overall: 25/40 
    6.25/10

Group Thoughts: We liked the unique mechanic that encourages other players to play titan. But at $6 it seems too weak. On many occasions the + copper in their hand gave a player a province. Every time we played Titan Gold outplayed it. A quick fix that might work is, gaining the cards to the discard instead of the hand.

7.22.Name: Area 51
   Originality: 5/10
   Playtest: 7.5/10
   Opinion: 6/10
   Overall: 23.5/40 
    5.875/10

Group Thoughts: Originality took a hit because when we played Area 51 it felt very similar to black market, but a superior black market. But like black market it’s hard to win with and too much of a gamble. One issue this has over black market though is, when gain effects like embassy or boarder village. Since you aren’t technically gaining or even aware that your gaining that card those effects are lost, but that is ok and didn’t cause any big issues to surface.

8.34.Name: Scientific Method
   Playtest: 5/10
   Opinion: 5/10
   Overall: 22/40 
    5.5/10

Group Thoughts: The card has too little control to strategize with. Get ready to get piled up with the worst kingdom card on the board. Unfortunately, lost every game in the playtesting.

9.9.Name: Diviner
   Playtest: 2/10
   Opinion: 2/10
   Overall: 22/40 
    5.5/10
tie broken by my original score
Group Thoughts: The potion makes it too inaccessible.  Not being able to easily dictate how many Diviners are in your deck, makes the below the line portion of that card somewhat out of your control, therefore hindering any possible strategies that might work with that mechanic.

10.30.Name: Artist
   Originality: 3/10
   Overall: 17/40 
    4.25/10

Group Thoughts: I felt like a super ironmonger which is why the originality took a hit. Just felt too similar to ironmonger to win anyone over. Didn’t have any real playtesting issues.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 s t   R o u n d    R e s u l t s
36.  Name: Halfpenny     1st
   Total: 9.25/10
19.  Name: Relay Rider      2nd
   Total: 8.75/10
35.  Name: Artisan      3rd
   Total: 8.625/10
31.  Name: Riddling Witch      4th
   Total: 8.125/10
8.  Name: Benefactor     5th
   Total: 7.75/10
22.  Name: Area 51     6th
   Total: 7.625/10
34.  Name: Scientific Method      7th
   Total: 7.5/10
9.  Name: Diviner     8th
   Total: 7.25/10
26.  Name: Titan      9th
   Total:7.0625/10
30.  Name: Artist      10th
   Total:6.875

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.  Name: Vase
   Total: 6.75/10
14.  Name: Poisoned Chalice
23.  Name: Farmer
11.  Name: Thieves' Guild
   Total: 6.625/10
20.  Name: Deathmonger
37.  Name: Crypt
1.  Name: Illicit Goods
   Total: 6.5/10
18.  Name: Reeve
27.  Name: Molecule Splitter
39.  Name: Revelation
13.  Name: Channel
   Total: 6.375/10
16.  Name: XerxesPraelor's 2nd Submission
32.  Name: Enclosure
   Total: 6.25/10
5.  Name: Nut
   Total: 5.75/10
25.  Name: Demon
   Total: 5.6875/10
40.  Name: Capital
   Total: 5.625/10
3.  Name: Band of Outcasts
   Total 5.5/10
7.  Name: Crystal Ball
   Total: 5.5/10
10.  Name: Windmill
   Total: 5/10
28.  Name: Honours
33.  Name: Fashionista
38.  Name: Maze
17.  Name: HeavyD's Submission
   Total: 4.875/10
21.  Name: Arboretum
   Total: 4.75/10
24.  Name: Famine
6.  Name: Expedition
   Total: 4.5/10
15.  Name: Elba
   Total: 4.125/10
4.  Name: XerxesPraelor's Submission
   Total: 4/10
12.  Name: Elf
   Total: 3.75/10
29.  Name: Thug
   Total: .5/10

S u b m i s s i o n s

1.  Name: Illicit Goods
Type: Action
Text: +$2 +1 buy
---------------------------------
While this is in play, you may buy or gain goods cards as if they were in the supply.
Setup: Set aside an additional kingdom card pile costing $5 or more.  Card from this pile are goods cards.
Cost: $4

Originality: 7/10: Feels a lot like Young Witch with the additional kingdom pile, but is obviously different. 
Playtestedness: 6/10: I feel, like Young Witch, Illicit Goods needs an additional motivation for buying a “Goods” card. If a Goods card is a valuable card you buy Illicit Goods, if it’s a less valuable $5+ card you don’t. For that it plays swingy
Opinion:6/10: $4 is about right for a woodcutter+, but the below the line effect is either a homerun or a strikeout making it either too expensive for what would be a woodcutter or a little too cheap for access to a great card.

2.  Name: Vase
Type: Treasure - Victory
Text: $1 +1 buy
Worth 3 VP if your deck has no actions costing more than 4$.
Cost: $5

Playtestedness: 4/10 The main issue with this card is that it emphasizes Big Money too much. If you can’t buy any $5 Action cards you definitely have to play Money Money Money. Then it’s way too powerful; buying a dutchy with a $1 on it, awesome, then throw on a Buy…
Opinion: 5/10 Not my cup of tea, too money-centric. Love the originality though.

3.  Name: Band of Outcasts
Text: +$3 Buy an action card costing at least 2$ immediately, putting it into your hand. Play it, then return it to the supply.

Originality: 5/10 It feels like Black market with a purchase in the middle of your turn the primary difference is playing the purchased card.
Playtestedness: 3/10 This needs a Buy. Without it the opportunity cost, at the end of the game, is too great unless all the $3 or less supply piles are empty. What happens when you can’t afford an Action, you keep the $3? In a game without a $2 or $3 +$3 is a bit strong for $4. In a normal game you still end up getting a $3 value out of the card for the price of $4
Opinion: 5/10 I see the potential in this concept but you have to tinker with it a lot more.
Total 5.5/10

4.  Name: XerxesPraelor's Submission
Type: ****
Text:  ****.
Cost: $****

Playtestedness: 1/10 as it’s worded now there is no mechanic for putting the card in play
Opinion: 3/10
Total: 4/10

5.  Name: Nut
Type: Victory
Text: Worth 2 VP
When you trash this, +2VP.

Originality: 6/10 there  isn’t a card which give victory chips for being trashed.
Playtestedness: 7/10 Not a lot going on should be fine in almost every game.
Opinion: 4/10 Too vanilla. Not enough going on to warrant being its own card.
Total: 5.75/10

6.  Name: Expedition
Type: Action-Duration
Text: +1 Action Now and at the start of your turn: +1 Action, +1$, +1 Buy.
While this is in play, if you would gain a card of your choice, instead you gain a card of the same cost of the player to your left's choice.
Cost: $3

Originality: 3/10 Super fishing village with a envoy-contraband-esque in your buy phase swindler. Different when you put it together but not deconstructed.
Playtestedness: 7/10 Seems like this card can have a lot of interaction (+) but that’s a double edge sword because that means there are more opportunities to break your card. From what I can see now it seems pretty well balanced.
Opinion: 5/10 I love fishing village, I’m just a control freak lol.
Total: 4.5/10

7.  Name: Crystal Ball
Type: Treasure-Reaction
Text: $2 When you play this, reveal the top card of your deck and either discard it or put it back.
When you discard this other than from play, you may reveal it and set it aside. At the start of your next Buy phase, play this card.

Originality: 3/10 The under the line effect is very reminiscent of Tunnel just you get to play the card instead of get a gold. The above the line is very reminiscent of Spy
Playtestedness: 8/10 Looks good but maybe the cellar, horse trader, storeroom, vault etc.  strategies get too big of a boost.
Opinion: 8/10 I love it because it makes those strategies boom.
Total: 5.5/10

8.  Name: Benefactor
Text: +$2 While this is in play, when you buy a card costing at most what this card costs, gain a copy of it.
Setup: Choose a card at random from the remaining kingdom cards in the game; its cost is this card's cost.
Cost: $?

Originality: 9/10 Nothing I could think of is similar to this.
Playtestedness: 6/10 at $5 the card could be a bit over powered with a dutchy rush at the end of a game. At $6 the extra Gold might make it too powerful, getting extra Gold and Dutchies… Oh and at $3 getting $2 and being able to gain an extra silver might be too much for a big money game.
Opinion: 7/10 Very interesting just hope it’s not overpowered at certain prices.
Total: 7.75/10

9.  Name: Diviner
Text: Trash a card from your hand. +1 VP if it is a Curse.
At the end of the game, if your deck contains at least as many Diviners as Victory cards, treat the trash pile as though it were a part of your deck.
Cost: $0P

Playtestedness: 5/10 The price I think is perfect. The effect I’m cautiously optimistic about but with no mechanic forcing players to play curses, depending on the game, treating the trash as though it is a part of your deck might be really good. (Gardens, Silk Road, Feodum) Though after more thought there are many games were I will have more than 7 Victory cards making it difficult to gain the trash.
Opinion: 6/10 I like it but in this form it is not fully realized.
Total: 7.25/10

10.  Name: Windmill
Text: +1 Action, +1 Card, +1 Buy.
When you gain this card, +4$.

Originality: 7/10 Nothing like it, not a whole lot of newness, just a variant on hinterlands when gain abilities.
Playtestedness: 2/10 Ironworks = Provinces | Workshop = Provinces | University = Provinces etc.
Opinion: 4/10 cool variation on hinterlands theme but not game ready enough.

11.  Name: Thieves' Guild
Type: Reaction
Text: .....
When an opponent would gain a card, you may reveal and trash this card. If you do, you gain that card and your opponent gains this card from the trash instead.

Originality: 9/10 cool new mechanic
Playtestedness: 3/10 Not limited enough. The way it’s currently worded you could steal Provinces and Colonies
Opinion: 5.5/10 love the interconnectedness of the card but it’s just to damaging the way its worded now

12.  Name: Elf
Text: +1 Action, +1 Card. Each other player reveals his hand.
Cost: $2

Originality:2/10 Just not new enough.
Playtestedness: 10/10 Looks fine won’t have very many interactions
Opinion: 0/10 sorry there is just nothing to have an opinion about with this card.
Total: 3.75/10

13.  Name: Channel
Type: Action - Reaction
Text: +2 Actions
When another player plays an attack card, you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do, draw a card, put your hand on top of your deck, and gain two cards costing up to 4$.
Cost: $1

Originality: 7/10
Playtestedness: 6.5/10 Not sure many randomly picked games would have the right components to make this card work. A game dominating card costing $4 or less, an Attack card and Channel.
Opinion: 5/10 neither here nor there for me.

14.  Name: Poisoned Chalice
Text: +$2 Each other player either gains a curse, or gains two coppers, putting one in hand and the other on top of their deck.

Originality: 7.5/10 I feel a lot of witch in this card just more powerful for the user and a little weaker for the attacked.
Playtestedness: 6.5/10 Because it is fundamentally similar to witch just with a few different tweaks I think this card would test fine with only one or two “hang-ups” like gardens or coppersmith or counting house.
Opinion: 5.5/10 Helps the opponent too much for my liking

15.  Name: Elba
Text: +2 Cards +1 Buy You may play all Actions and Treasures from your Island mat, in any order.  (If you play one, play every single one)
In games using this, when you buy a card, if it's not the first card you bought this turn, gain the card you bought to your Island mat instead of your discard pile.

Originality: 6/10 So it’s a woodcutter-native village with a cool interact-able extra buy thing.
Playtestedness: 3.5/10 Your wording clashes I think a superior wording would be something like “After you use your first buy, each card bought after may be placed on your island mat after being gained.” Or something like that.
Opinion: 7/10 I like where this is going but it’s just not there.
Total: 4.125/10

16.  Name: XerxesPraelor's 2nd Submission

Originality: 6.75/10 I’ve seen the mechanic before but is still new to dominion
Playtestedness: 6.5/10 too powerful even though the price is right.
Opinion: 5.5/10 too time consuming to get, too powerful once you have it.

17.  Name: HeavyD's Submission

Originality: 6/10 Ironically very very similar to XerxesPraelor's 2nd Submission
Playtestedness: 3/10 WAY underpriced.
Opinion: 4.5/10 I like the below the line effect more than the above
Total: 4.875/10

18.  Name: Reeve
Text: +$1 Take a coin token.
When another player plays an attack card, you may discard this from your hand.  If you do take coin tokens equal to half the cost of that attack, rounded up.

Originality: 6.5/10 Above the line not so new. Below the line very new.
Playtestedness: 7/10 From what I can mentalize it seems fairly balanced. My primary quibble is “rounded up”; I did say I wanted something new. I think $3 for a rabble or a rogue might be a bit much.
Opinion: 6/10 I can see it but I can’t see making many strategies which incorporated this into it.

19.  Name: Relay Rider
Text: +1 Action +1 Card +1 Buy Look through your discard pile. You may reveal a Relay Rider from it and put it in your hand.

Originality: 9/10 Love it. Only knocks are a bunch of cards have +1 action +1 card etc and the discard pile effect is reminiscent of scavenger.
Playtestedness: 7/10 Some games that +1 Buy is going to be abused.
Opinion: 10/10 I love it. My favorite of the first 19 cards.
Total: 8.75/10

20.  Name: Deathmonger
Text: Trash the top card of your deck. You may trash the top card of your deck.
When any player (including you) trashes a card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, that player puts the trashed card in their hand.

Originality: 8/10 only thing similar at all is fortress.
Playtestedness: 6.5/10 The wording could be more clear, maybe “When any player (including you) trashes a card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, return the trashed card to their hand.”
Opinion: 4/10 I see how to use it just not sure it’s an effective strategy.

21.  Name: Arboretum
Type: victory - Duration
Text: 2 VP When you discard this card in the clean-up phase, +2 VP and set it aside. Next turn, +$2 and flip it over. The next turn, trash it.

Originality:6/10
Playtestedness: 6/10 Should work but $5 or a onetime silver and 2 VP chips. A little confusing with all the “next turns”
Opinion: 1/10 not enough going on to warrant the purchase

22.  Name: Area 51
Text: +1 Card +1 Action Trash this card. If you do, put the top card of the Mystery pile on top of your deck.
(Set up: Shuffle 10 random kingdom cards not in the game and place them face down next to the supply. The mystery pile is not part of the supply.)

Originality: 9.25/10 Love the idea only thing similar is faintly black market.
Playtestedness: 5/10 Just a bit weak and really only winnable with a ton of luck.
Opinion: 7/10 Man wouldn’t it have been better “Trash this card. If you do, put the top card of the Mystery pile on top of your deck. +1 Card +1 Action”
Total: 7.625/10

23.  Name: Farmer
Type: Action-Reaction
Text: +1 Card +1 Action
Whenever you would draw a card other than during your Clean-up phase, you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do, instead of drawing a card, reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal an action or treasure card.  Put that card into your hand and discard the other revealed cards.

Originality: 8/10 Like it; original and it combines with itself.
Playtestedness: 4/10 Council room, Embassy, Hunting Grounds etc is crazy with this card.
Opinion: 7/10 I like the originality of the card but I don’t think the reaction effect should be able to be repeated.

24.  Name: Famine
Text: 0 VP Worth 2 VP if your deck contains four differently named victory cards.
When you buy this, trash all cards from your hand,deck, discard pile, and play area.
Cost: $0

Originality: 9/10 only slightly similar to mint.
Playtestedness: 0/10 Too predictable and no way to combine it with other cards only card I could think of is feodum and it breaks the card. Feodum game: 1st turn feodum, 2nd famine, 3rd gold, 4th province. Regular game: 1st turn famine, 2nd copper, 3rd copper, 4th copper, 5th silver, 6th $5 card, 7th Gold, 8th province.
Opinion: 1/10

25.  Name: Demon
Type: Action-Duration
Text: Now and at the start of every turn in which this card is in play, +1 Card.
At the start of Clean-up this turn, trash a card from your hand. If you do, leave this in play. If you don't, trash this and gain a curse.

Originality: 6/10 reminds me of a created card I’ve seen on Board Game Geek
Playtestedness: 4/10 The wording is clunky. Very powerful.
Opinion: 6.75/10 Fun but too powerful.
Total: 5.6875/10

26.  Name: Titan
Text: +2 cards Reveal your hand. If you revealed a...
... Copper, each other player gains a Curse and a Copper, putting them into their hand.
... Curse, each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.
Cost: $6

Originality: 7/10 Reminds me of mountebank but is obviously different.
Playtestedness: 7.25/10 Like the price, Like +2 Cards over $ or Actions or similar.
Opinion: 7/10 Maybe could have been “... Copper, each other player gains a Curse and each player gains a copper, putting them into their hand.
Total:7.0625/10

27.  Name: Molecule Splitter
Text: Trash a card from your hand costing at least $5.
If you do, gain a Positive Ion and a Negative Ion.

+++++++++
Positive Ion $0*
Reveal your hand. Discard all Positive Ions from your hand.
+2 cards
+1 action
This is not in the Supply
Action

Negative Ion $0*
Reveal your hand. Discard all Negative Ions from you hand.
+1 card
+1 action
+1 buy
+$1
This is not in the supply
Action

Originality: 6/10 I love cards that aren’t in the supply, but they aren’t REALLY original.
Playtestedness:8/10 I don’t see any glaring issue with any mechanic just seems like it might be slow in some games.
Opinion: 6/10 Felt the cards are solid just they lack a bit in newness. Just occurred to me to publish this card it only takes 10 new cards not 30 because you could just retheme and use Laboratory and Market as prizes since they are both in the basic Dominion set.

28.  Name: Honours
Text: These are spread out in a fan and can be bought in any order - there is one of each type
They are part of the kingdom
Cost: $X

Gold Trophy, $?
+1 Card
+1 Action
The first time you have no cards in your hand and no actions remaining: +$3
(Action, not Action cards)
----------
This costs half the number of honours left in the supply (rounded down)
Action - Honour

Silver Trophy, $?
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may discard an action card from your hand.
If you do +$2.
----------
Action - Honour

Copper Trophy, $?
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may reveal a Copper from your hand.
If you do, + $1.
----------
This costs half the number of Honours left in the supply (rounded down)
Action - Honour

Exhibition, $?
+1 Card
+1 Action
When you discard this from play, if you have not played any duplicate cards this turn, take 2 Coin Tokens.
----------
Action - Honour

Benefice, $?
+ 1 Action
+ 1 Card
Reveal your hand.
If there are no duplicates in it, gain a Duchy.
----------
Action - Honour

Fayre, $?
+1 Card
+1 Action
If you've played more than 3 actions this turn (counting this): +1 Buy, Gain a card costing up to 4 that is not an Honour.
----------
Action - Honour

Livery, $?
+1 Card
+1 Action
When you discard this from play, if you have had a Copper, Silver and a Gold in play this turn:  gain a Copper, Silver and Gold, putting them on top of your deck in any order.
----------
Action - Honour

Call to Arms, $?
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may discard a card.
If you do, each other player discards down to 4 cards in hand.
----------
Action - Attack - Honour

Shire, $?
+1 Card
+1 Action
When you discard this from play, if you didn’t buy any cards this turn, gain 2 Honours and a Copper.
----------
Worth 1 VP for every 2 honour in your deck (rounded down)
Action - Victory - Honour

Charter of Franchise, $?
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal a card from your hand.
If it is representative of a person or people, gain another copy of it.
----------
Action - Honour
----------
Setup: Decide as a group which kingdom cards in the supply this would apply to.

Originality: 5.5/10 It is very similar to the Knights deck.
Playtestedness: 5/10 a lot of components too many ways to be abused. Buy Shire for $5 gain most of them all and still but provinces at the end of the game. 
Opinion: 4/10 I didn’t like knight and this feels very similar.

29.  Name: Thug
Text: +1 Action Look through your deck. You may draw any card from your deck. If you do, shuffle your deck immediately.

Originality: 1/10 Several cards submitted prior have almost the same mechanic
Playtestedness: 0/10 Totally broken. A $4 Gold or a $4 whatever your best card is.
Opinion: 0/10 Sorry to be so critical
Total: .5/10

30.  Name: Artist
Text: Look at the top 4 cards of your deck.  Reveal and discard up to 3 of them.  Put the rest back in any order. If you revealed an:
Action card, +1 Card.
Treasure card, +1 Action.
Victory card, +$1.

Originality: 6/10 New take on the Ironworks choice mechanism
Playtestedness: 8.5/10 At first glare my intuition is telling me this card is a bit strong but I can’t quite place how. On second thought it might be a bit weak. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Opinion: 7/10 I like ironworks and ironmonger so this is right up that alley
Total:6.875

31.  Name: Riddling Witch
Type: Action-Attack
Text: The player to your left may choose to have each of your opponents gain a curse.  If no curses were gained this way, +4 Cards.

Originality: 9/10 I like it, a nice variation on the opponent making decisions on your card mechanics.
Playtestedness: 7.5/10 Only issue is the card is offering a false choice. I can’t give you 4 cards and not expect you to get a province. So that means I’m going to be taking curses and once they run out you can get your +4 Cards. Balanced, I think…
Opinion: 7/10 The only thing I didn’t like was the false choice because it allows to many bad Dominion plays to be made.
Total: 8.125/10

32.  Name: Enclosure
Text: 0 VP Worth 2 VP if you have more Estates than Enclosures.
When you buy this, +1$, +1 Buy.

Originality: 9/10 can’t think of anything too similar, just cards submitted before Enclosure.
Playtestedness: 5/10 Effectively a $1 2vp card. Not a lot to it, no interactions except with ones that make it broken (Gardens, silk road)
Opinion: 2/10
Total: 6.25/10

33.  Name: Fashionista
Text: +$2 Gain a card costing up to 4$.
You may look through your discard pile and put it back in any order.
Reveal a card from your hand or the top of your discard pile.  Each opponent chooses one: they gain a copy, or you do.

Playtestedness: 1/10 I don’t know how to make this card work. What could you reveal that they wouldn’t want that you do.
Opinion: 1/10

34.  Name: Scientific Method
Text: +2 Actions The player to your left chooses a non-empty kingdom card pile that you have not gained from this turn.  Gain a copy of that card.

Originality: 8/10 sorry but after reading what feels like 5-6 other cards with the “opponent choice” mechanism you’re the first to lose points for being less new then the others.
Playtestedness: 7/10 how do you know which piles you gained from with certainty? I like how hypothetically you could control which card your opponent chose with other gain cards.
Opinion: 7/10 I like it but I think it’s a bit of a beta right now.
Total: 7.5/10

35.  Name: Artisan
Text: +2 Cards Put a card from your hand to the bottom of the Artisan deck. Reveal the top card of the Artisan deck. Each other player gains a copy of the revealed card. Place the revealed card to the bottom of the Artisan deck.
Setup: Shuffle 1 Curse, 3 Coppers, and 1 Silver together and place them facedown in a pile. This is the Artisan deck.

Originality: 9.5/10
Playtestedness: 7.5/10 There is room for improvement. While the +2 cards give you more options with what to put under the artisan deck think it also neuters the current hand. Possibly worth adding +1 Action but how to keep it balanced once you do.
Opinion: 8/10 I like the mechanic a lot.
Total: 8.625/10

36.  Name: Halfpenny
Type: Treasure
Text: $1 Trash this at the beginning of Cleanup if you didn't play it from the trash pile.
Any player may play Halfpenny from the trash pile as though it were in his or her hand.
Setup: Trash two Halfpennies for every player in the game.
Cost: $1

Originality: 10/10 love it.
Playtestedness: 8/10 A cleaner way to have the trashing mechanism might be: “If you played this from your hand trash this.” Main issue with this is it may affect the normal ebb and flow of the game too much.
Opinion: 9/10 I like your chances.
Total: 9.25/10

37.  Name: Crypt
Text: Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck.
Put any Treasures and Curses into your hand and discard the rest.
+1 Card per card discarded.

Originality: 7.5/10 Feels a lot like farming village, with +1 card per card discarded
Playtestedness: 6/10 most likely $3+ for $5 seems a bit too powerful.
Opinion: 5.5/10 Strategically limited, too big money-esque

38.  Name: Maze
Text: +1 Action Name 3 cards (your choices may be the same).  Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck.  If the 3 cards you named match the 3 revealed, put them into your hand.  If not, discard them.

Originality: 6/10 Like wishing well but a luckier version
Playtestedness: 3/10 Can’t see any interactions that don’t then guarantee the cards effectiveness and can’t see how to make the card work routinely without copious amounts of luck.
Opinion: 5/10

39.  Name: Revelation
Text: +1 Action Gain a card costing $3 or less and currently not in play.
Put it into your hand.

Originality: 5/10 Not a lot of newness. Workshop + an action + put it on top
Playtestedness: 8/10 Should work in most games only pause for concern might be throne room, procession, king’s court and feodum.
Opinion: 8/10 I love Feodum and this by association.

40.  Name: Capital
Text: Worth 2 Victory Points for every set you have consisting of:
an Estate, a Duchy, and a Province.
Cost: $6

Originality: 6.75/10
Playtestedness: 5/10 so for every 10 victory points here are 2 more. I’ve had thoughts of cards like this, as I’m sure many of us have, but there is one glaring issue with the concept: the player with the most Estates, Duchies, and Provinces will likely win the game anyway.
Total: 5.625/10
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 07:44:58 pm by Dominion_Contests »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: New Dominion CONTEST
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 07:18:39 pm »
+1

Not sure if you are aware, but another contest just started.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 07:27:39 pm »

This is quite the first post! I don't think anyone's actually offered prizes before. (I am sorry Kirian, but yours don't count.  ;))

Since the other contest just started (as noted by eHalcyon), you might get a lot of duplicates if you continue with this contest.

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 02:36:17 am »

Yeah, I don't think it'd be a good idea to host your own contest right now, but you'll be seeing new fan cards by the shovelful starting next week, when the submissions are made public. The theme is 'Treasure Chest', so you'll be seeing cards that exemplify each expansion; I'm sure there'll be plenty of original ideas showing up nonetheless. You could just judge the cards from the current contest and keep the same schedule, or you could stick around for 13 weeks and playtest whatever catches your eye, and then make your own announcement in this thread as to who gets the prizes. I don't think anyone would mind, so long as you don't make it look like you're co-opting the contest. Some people here were complaining that approval voting rewards safe choices too much, so I bet they'd like to see originality being rewarded.

I'm guessing most people on here already own the promo cards and/or would have a hard time collecting a physical reward. If you're intent on making sure everyone's incentivized or you change your mind about springing for international postage, a few dollars via Paypal would make a fine alternate prize.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:48:57 am by Nic »

ta56636

• Bishop
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 05:39:26 am »

I don't see why this couldn't run alongside the other competition...  ::)  It's straightforward and well expressed (not that I've come up with anything good (yet)), tbh I'd be more interested in this one then the other competition (although that is clearly very well thought out with, what looks like, pedigree)

Dominion_Contests

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 01:29:22 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, I wasn't aware of the other contest. The other contest is focused around making cards similar to the theme of previous dominion sets. Thankfully my contest seems to fit right in, next to that theme. In this contest we're looking for cards unlike any other cards or themes found in other Dominion sets.
As far as the prizes go, I see no problem with a $2 or $3 Paypal/Amazon reward instead of Governor if the winner prefers that.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 02:30:39 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, I wasn't aware of the other contest. The other contest is focused around making cards similar to the theme of previous dominion sets. Thankfully my contest seems to fit right in, next to that theme. In this contest we're looking for cards unlike any other cards or themes found in other Dominion sets.
As far as the prizes go, I see no problem with a $2 or $3 Paypal/Amazon reward instead of Governor if the winner prefers that.

Missed that bit the first time I read through the rules.

Do you want submissions private messaged to you or posted in this thread directly?

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 02:45:34 pm »

Yeah, one of the requirements for LF's contest is that you can't identify your own card until voting is closed. If you require public submissions, then people won't be able to submit their Treasure Chest cards to your contest. That's the reason I suggested sticking around for the next few months, or at least independently judging the Prosperity #1 entries as soon as they're made public.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:51:12 pm by Nic »

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 04:59:02 pm »
+1

If I win one of the contests, can you give me the Governor promo card on Goko?
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

Dominion_Contests

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 06:09:59 pm »

Yeah, one of the requirements for LF's contest is that you can't identify your own card until voting is closed. If you require public submissions, then people won't be able to submit their Treasure Chest cards to your contest. That's the reason I suggested sticking around for the next few months, or at least independently judging the Prosperity #1 entries as soon as they're made public.

Missed that bit the first time I read through the rules.

Do you want submissions private messaged to you or posted in this thread directly?

Well, in this contest many submissions to the Prosperity contest would not qualify. To make up for the cards which could meet both contest's requirements, like a Treasure-Attack, I'll accept those submissions through PM... if that complies with the rules of the other contest. Ideally I'd like the submissions to be public, but i'll accept private submissions.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 06:22:52 pm by Dominion_Contests »

ta56636

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 06:28:01 am »

Here's my submission: (see http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9257.msg287489#msg287489)

:)

P.S. I would also probably add the wording at the bottom:

If you are unable to do so trash this card.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 11:27:08 am by ta56636 »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 09:25:03 am »

A Governor?  Guess what just happened to my weekend.

I may or may not be able to convince you to limit submissions ;] (not going to use a machine or bs or anything)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 09:25:50 am »
+4

From an old thread of mine, updated a bit:

Illicit Goods
$4 - Action
+$2
+1 buy
--
While this is in play, you may buy or gain goods cards as if they were in the supply.
Setup: Set aside an additional kingdom card pile costing $5 or more.  Card from this pile are goods cards.

Dominion_Contests

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 01:12:15 pm »

Here's my submission: (see http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9257.msg287489#msg287489)

I looked though the post you linked to and couldn't find a definitive card. Can you type the card you're submitting?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 02:22:55 pm »

Vase
5$ - Treasure - Victory

Worth 1$
+1 Buy
--------------------------

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 02:23:57 pm »

Vase
5$ - Treasure - Victory

Worth 1$
+1 Buy

The ultimate rush card.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 02:24:22 pm »

I like your card, Grujah, but are you attached to the name?  "Goods" sounds like a treasure card to me, maybe that's just me.  It wasn't until the third time reading it I realized it was an action.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 02:30:41 pm »

Vase
5$ - Treasure - Victory

Worth 1$
+1 Buy

The ultimate rush card.
Slog, you mean.  Most people put Dukes into the slog category instead of the rush category, and this has even less 3 pile power because it doesn't coerce your opponent into helping empty the Duchy stack.

I do think it's a very solid slog card though, that's what it's supposed to be.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 02:34:28 pm »

Vase
5$ - Treasure - Victory

Worth 1$
+1 Buy

The ultimate rush card.
Slog, you mean.  Most people put Dukes into the slog category instead of the rush category, and this has even less 3 pile power because it doesn't coerce your opponent into helping empty the Duchy stack.

Well, it's +1 Buy, and you want a bunch of cheap cards.  You could probably buy a bunch of these and lesser cost actions and end the game pretty quickly.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 02:40:18 pm »
+1

Ok, I see where you are coming from now.  Your talking more about a somewhat board dependent rush.  I thought you were suggesting the card would rush out IGG style, same 3 piles every rush.  But you mean a more Ironworks-Oasis-Silk Road style thing or somesuch.

I like those because it's cool to see how various actions can get incorporated into a rush strategy.  Vineyards rushes are my favorite too.

ta56636

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 05:46:15 pm »

I looked though the post you linked to and couldn't find a definitive card. Can you type the card you're submitting?

Sorry - the wording was on the image, however it's changed a bit.  Here is (hopefully) the final version (at least enough for you to get a clear idea) :

Band of Outcasts
4$, Action

+3$

Buy an action card costing at least 2$ immediately, putting it into your hand.

Play it, then return it to the supply.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:11:04 pm by ta56636 »

ta56636

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 06:08:54 pm »

Vase
5$ - Treasure - Victory

Worth 1$
+1 Buy

The ultimate rush card.

I wonder whether they'll play all the submissions in the same game.  If so, there's a potential nice synergy between vase and band of outcasts.

Dominion_Contests

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 07:07:25 pm »

Vase
5$ - Treasure - Victory

Worth 1$
+1 Buy

The ultimate rush card.

I wonder whether they'll play all the submissions in the same game.  If so, there's a potential nice synergy between vase and band of outcasts.

We'll primarily be testing them individually, if some combos sound good we'll have to try them too.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 01:45:34 am »

I also have a LF's seaside card that would be perfect for this, but can't post it publicly. May I send it to you?

Dominion_Contests

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 12:21:33 pm »

I also have a LF's seaside card that would be perfect for this, but can't post it publicly. May I send it to you?
Absolutely
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Page created in 2.81 seconds with 21 queries.