Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Metallurgist/Bronze  (Read 1874 times)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Metallurgist/Bronze
« on: August 26, 2013, 10:32:02 pm »

My card for LFN's contest got nixed due to space considerations.  I'd love to hear your guy's thoughts on this combo.

Metallurgist
$4 - Action
--
Gain a bronze card.  Place a treasure card from your hand onto your Metallurgist mat or take a card from your Metallurgist mat placing it in your hand.

(In games with Metallurgist, add a separate Bronze pile)

Bronze
 $0* - Treasure
--
Worth $1 for each unique card on your Metallurgist mat.

*This is not part of the supply

There are 16 total Bronze cards. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:36:12 pm by shark_bait »
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Metallurgist/Bronze
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 11:39:54 pm »
+1

I think it may feel a bit too similar to Forager.  Metallurgist can remove junk Copper from your deck; Forager can trash Copper.  Forager non-terminally gives coin based on unique treasures in the trash; Bronze is a treasure that has worth based on unique treasures on the mat.  You can sacrifice other Treasure to them to increase value.

There are some differences too.  The biggest one is that Forager is communal whereas Bronze is personal.  Bronze can always be pumped up to $4 (Copper, Silver, Gold, Bronze).  Metallurgist can bring cards back into the hand, making it sort of a NV or Haven.  These differences mean that Metallurgist/Bronze should play quite differently than Forager, though I think the superficial resemblance is strong.  It's interesting, but I'm not sure there is enough here to justify 16 extra cards.  Maybe if you did other things with Bronze, like how there are 3(?) cards that work with Spoils.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 07:17:00 am »

I agree with eHalc, and further would say that Metallurgist looks very weak compared to Forager, even if it cost $3. Forager gives you an Action and a Buy, plus gives you $ that turn. Metallurgist's only advantage I see is that the Treasures aren't communal, meaning you can build yours up without worrying about helping others. But, I don't think a card that will often be "Gain a Silver (or Copper). Trash a Copper." compares all that favorably with Forager.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 10:00:41 am »

I had never even considered Forager as a comparison.  They really seem very different.  Forager being non-terminal that can and will become irrelevant late game when there are no ideal targets to trash.  Metallurgist remains relevant late game in the ability to extract from the mat getting money in a pinch.  The power of this would be akin to that of coin tokens.  In my head, I did comparisons to the $3/$4 cost gainers, mainly Workshop, Armory, IW and Bureaucrat.  The thought experimental was comparing the Bronze gain to other treasure gainers.  Early game, Bronze is Copper while mid-game it will become Silver and Gold and possibly more.  Obviously the comparison is not exact because these other cards are not restricted to gaining a single card, but they functionally gain Silver with some kind of affect. 

The reason I put it at $4 was thinking about it's power when opening Metallurgist/Metallurgist.  Initially you will be placing Coppers on the mat and replacing them with Bronze.  Once you purchase a silver card, you will probably line it up with Metallurgist allowing for all your Bronze to become Gold.  That just seems very powerful combined with the ability to smooth money.  A $4 cost makes the 2nd Metallurgist come 1 reshuffle later which makes the opening slightly less powerful.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 23 queries.