Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Inventions  (Read 9713 times)

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
Dominion: Inventions
« on: August 21, 2013, 08:52:04 am »
+1

This is the first three cards of my fan expansion, Dominion: Inventions. The theme is trash for benefit cards. It also has a treasure chest theme, since it has duration cards, cards with on gain and on trash effects, cards that like variety, etc. Any ideas, comments and/or criticism are welcome.

Redo $3 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card with the same or lesser cost, putting it your hand.

This combos really well with hinterlands cards, where you can trash a card, gain the same card in your hand, and get the on-gain benefit. It works well with cards with an on trash effect for the same reason, which is why it has one.

Wagon Train $2 Action-Reaction
Gain an action card costing up to $4

The non-reaction effect is arguably better than moat, but for the reaction to work you have to have another action card in your hand. I haven't playtested this much.

Scientist $2 Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Each other player gains an invention (from the invention pile), putting it on top of their deck.

Invention $4 Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Return this to the invention pile.

Scientist was inspired by Beggar from Dominion: Outtakes. It gives your opponent a lab effect later, instead of immediately. Invention goes along with the trash-for-benefit theme very well.

I will be posting more cards soon. Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:26:16 pm by Wrclass »
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Inventions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 11:11:29 am »

Here's the next three:

Historian $3 Victory-Reaction
At the end of the game, count the cards on your historian mat. This is worth 1 VP for every 3 cards set aside there. Then return the set aside cards to your deck.
_______________________________________________________________________________  When you gain a card, you may reveal and then discard this from your hand. If you do, set aside that card on your historian mat.

I think this will mainly be an engine card which allows to green while not clogging up your deck, but also can be used in gardens/silk road rushes where you buy a victory almost every turn. Trashing down to historian, two Golds and a Silver is another golden deck.

Inventor $4 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain an invention. (from the invention pile)

A very simple card.

Reinvent $5 Action
Gain an invention. Trash an action card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more.

It's got the trash for benefit part of graverobber, but gives you an invention instead the option to gain a card from the trash. You can trash the invention and gain a card costing up to $7 with no loss to your self. It self-synergizes in a way.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 07:26:20 pm by Wrclass »

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 11:35:56 am »
+1

I suggest 'Before totalling Victory points when the game ends, count the cards on your Historian mat.  Your Historians are worth 1VP per card which was on the mat.  Then, return the cards to your deck.'.  It means Historians aren't worth anything until the end of the game, technically, but I don't think that matters.

E: Reinvent is probably overpowered compared to Remodel.  Bear in mind that going up by £3 usually costs £7 (Expand).  You're limited here by what you can Reinvent, but you also get a free lab effect later, so...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:40:56 am by thespaceinvader »

Wrclass

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 12:34:43 pm »

I suggest 'Before totalling Victory points when the game ends, count the cards on your Historian mat.  Your Historians are worth 1VP per card which was on the mat.  Then, return the cards to your deck.'.  It means Historians aren't worth anything until the end of the game, technically, but I don't think that matters.

E: Reinvent is probably overpowered compared to Remodel.  Bear in mind that going up by £3 usually costs £7 (Expand).  You're limited here by what you can Reinvent, but you also get a free lab effect later, so...

Thank you for your comment!  ;D

I made the suggested change with Historian and made Reinvent cost $5.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 12:55:07 pm »
+1

Redo - This sounds too strong.  Without the on-trash effect I would probably price it at $3 or $4; the versatility can be very nice.  But with the on-trash effect, a chain of them is only once card worse than the equivalent chain of labs.  That's clearly way too much for a $2 card, since it's very easy to spam a $2.  I might price it at $4 or $5.  I really like the idea though; it's like Procession in that it makes you want to gain things that you might not really want to gain.

Wagon Train - Seems fine balance-wise.  I'm not sure how exciting it would be.

Scientist - I really like this, but I'm not sure it's okay at $2.  In the long-run, it benefits both players equally, but delays can make a big difference in Dominion.  Bandit Camp's delayed Spoils keep it from being +$3, +2 actions, which would almost certainly be too strong for $5; Caravan's missing the re-shuffle bump it down from $5 to $4.  I think it should cost at least $3 so it's a little harder to spam, maybe even $4.

Historian - Interesting.  It's a way to deal with green cards, and it's a green card, so it's like Island in that regard.  It also helps block incoming junk, so that's another similarity to Island.  It's cheaper than Island and it's not terminal, and it can block multiple junk cards over the course of the game, at the price of only being able to do it while you're gaining them.  In terms of function it's probably better than Island, but it may be harder to get them to score.  Another Golden Deck (I think a little better than the one you mentioned) is 4 Historians+any number of Market Squares (or Worker's Villages/Markets).  You draw your deck every turn, then buy as many Coppers as you can, setting them aside on your Historian mat.  If you have 10 Market Squares, that increases your score by 11*4/3=14 points per turn (more precisely, 15 points every two turns and 14 points every third turn).  So actually that's pretty crazy, and could lead to some very long games, trying to drain the Copper pile.  Maybe not though since the Copper pile is getting drained so quickly.  Something to think about.

Inventor - Very simple, should be fine balance-wise.  Very similar to Caravan, maybe a little better.

Reinvent - Not really sure I understand what this card is trying to do.  The two things that it does seem unrelated.  Now that I re-read Invention, I think I see it: you're supposed to reinvent invention to put it back into your hand, get another invention, and any action card that's not Peddler.  Okay, now that I get it I think I like it a lot.  It might compare favorably to some of the other non-drawing terminal one-card trashers, but most non-drawing terminal one-card trashers (is there a better term for this?) are weak, and this is distinct enough from them that it's probably okay.

Overall I really like these.  I'm excited to see more.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 02:06:37 pm »

Redo - This sounds too strong.  Without the on-trash effect I would probably price it at $3 or $4; the versatility can be very nice.  But with the on-trash effect, a chain of them is only once card worse than the equivalent chain of labs.  That's clearly way too much for a $2 card, since it's very easy to spam a $2.  I might price it at $4 or $5.  I really like the idea though; it's like Procession in that it makes you want to gain things that you might not really want to gain.

Wagon Train - Seems fine balance-wise.  I'm not sure how exciting it would be.

Scientist - I really like this, but I'm not sure it's okay at $2.  In the long-run, it benefits both players equally, but delays can make a big difference in Dominion.  Bandit Camp's delayed Spoils keep it from being +$3, +2 actions, which would almost certainly be too strong for $5; Caravan's missing the re-shuffle bump it down from $5 to $4.  I think it should cost at least $3 so it's a little harder to spam, maybe even $4.

Historian - Interesting.  It's a way to deal with green cards, and it's a green card, so it's like Island in that regard.  It also helps block incoming junk, so that's another similarity to Island.  It's cheaper than Island and it's not terminal, and it can block multiple junk cards over the course of the game, at the price of only being able to do it while you're gaining them.  In terms of function it's probably better than Island, but it may be harder to get them to score.  Another Golden Deck (I think a little better than the one you mentioned) is 4 Historians+any number of Market Squares (or Worker's Villages/Markets).  You draw your deck every turn, then buy as many Coppers as you can, setting them aside on your Historian mat.  If you have 10 Market Squares, that increases your score by 11*4/3=14 points per turn (more precisely, 15 points every two turns and 14 points every third turn).  So actually that's pretty crazy, and could lead to some very long games, trying to drain the Copper pile.  Maybe not though since the Copper pile is getting drained so quickly.  Something to think about.

Inventor - Very simple, should be fine balance-wise.  Very similar to Caravan, maybe a little better.

Reinvent - Not really sure I understand what this card is trying to do.  The two things that it does seem unrelated.  Now that I re-read Invention, I think I see it: you're supposed to reinvent invention to put it back into your hand, get another invention, and any action card that's not Peddler.  Okay, now that I get it I think I like it a lot.  It might compare favorably to some of the other non-drawing terminal one-card trashers, but most non-drawing terminal one-card trashers (is there a better term for this?) are weak, and this is distinct enough from them that it's probably okay.

Overall I really like these.  I'm excited to see more.

Redo - I think making this cost $3 would weaken it significantly, mainly by not allowing you to redo your estates into it. That would make it still a good card, but probably not an early game one.

Scientist - You were right about this one. I just playtested it with market square, and it's really strong. I think that having your opponents topdeck the invention might be a good nerf.

Thank you for your comment. I will post the next 3 cards tomorrow.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 04:19:34 pm »

Historian is way too strong.  It's like triple-Gardens that works in a trim deck, and it scales without even needing to bloat.  The ease of getting to a Golden Deck is also a bit of a concern here.

Inventor is very similar to Caravan except that the benefit is delayed more.  Then again, you can also stockpile Inventions.  In general, it seems too similar to be very interesting.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 06:40:03 pm »

Historian is way too strong.  It's like triple-Gardens that works in a trim deck, and it scales without even needing to bloat.  The ease of getting to a Golden Deck is also a bit of a concern here.

Inventor is very similar to Caravan except that the benefit is delayed more.  Then again, you can also stockpile Inventions.  In general, it seems too similar to be very interesting.

I don't have any ideas to make Historian more balanced. Do you?

I think that Inventor is different enough form Caravan to be interesting. In some decks you have to wait longer to get the benefit and in some you can get it right away. It's much more powerful with TFB cards.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 07:23:03 pm »

Depends on what you're going for.  Making it a terminal action instead of a reaction might be a good start, but that brings it even closer to Island.  Another avenue might be making it a self-discarding reaction like Beggar, to limit abuse with +Buy.  Another option is to restrict what it can put onto the mat.  Not allowing treasure would prevent mass-buying Coppers, for example.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 07:25:20 pm »

Depends on what you're going for.  Making it a terminal action instead of a reaction might be a good start, but that brings it even closer to Island.  Another avenue might be making it a self-discarding reaction like Beggar, to limit abuse with +Buy.  Another option is to restrict what it can put onto the mat.  Not allowing treasure would prevent mass-buying Coppers, for example.

I changed Historian so you have to discard it. It's still good in engines and in a golden deck where you only gain one province per turn. Thanks for the feedback!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:51:59 am by Wrclass »

Wrclass

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 09:15:58 am »

There are ten kingdom cards in this expansion. With these three we'll be 3/10 of the way there.

Blueprints $1
+2 Actions
+1 Buy

Another $1 card. But, like Duchess, you don't have to buy it to gain it. This works best when it's the only source of +Actions or +1 Buy.

Extend $4+ Action
+2 Cards
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $1 more.
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, trash a card from your hand. Gain a card with a cost equal to that of the trashed card plus the amount you overpaid.

It's like Upgrade that gives you +1 Card instead of +1 Action. The overpay function uses similar wording to Butcher.

Rival Village
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Each other player may reveal a Rival Village from their hand. If no one did, +$1

The first village in this set. Sometimes it's a Bazaar and sometimes it's an ordinary Village. It gets worse in multiplier games and raises some interesting decisions to if you should get Rival Village even your strategy does not incorporate it.

Request: Could someone please make pictures of these cards? I don't know how to do it on my own.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:29:34 am by Wrclass »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 12:30:57 pm »

Request: Could someone please make pictures of these cards? I don't know how to do it on my own.

The most time consuming part of making cards is finding art. Do that, and I may have time to make images for your cards. (Although I have a newborn at home, so there's no guarantee.)

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 12:36:11 pm »

Invention $4 Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Return this to the supply.

Quick, spot the silly problem!

(This is not in the supply)

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 09:00:39 pm »
+1

There's an amusing reaction between redo and fortress

Open Redo/Fortress

Redo Fortress into redo, Redo2 goes into hand, fortress goes into hand, repeat until redos are gone.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 09:26:50 pm »

Invention $4 Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action

Quick, spot the silly problem!

(This is not in the supply)

Whoops! Thanks for spotting that. Fixed now.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 10:04:41 pm »

That image is too small.  You're gonna want it ~600x400. 

Also, you should make sure you give credit to the illustrator/photographer.  And in general, I much prefer having permission for any image used, or else use public domain images.  Wiki Paintings is a source I like to look through (but check to make sure the painting is public domain).

Wrclass

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 09:43:28 am »

The most time consuming part of making cards is finding art. Do that, and I may have time to make images for your cards. (Although I have a newborn at home, so there's no guarantee.)

This one could work for Historian. I'm not sure if the size is right though.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 03:10:48 am »
+1

Redo $3 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card with the same or lesser cost, putting it your hand.

I'm worried this becomes excessively strong on boards with a lot of cards at the same price point. It's also going to deplete piles REALLY FAST, to the point where I start wanting to create a deck to picks up 1-2 Provinces quickly and then just Redo them until the Province pile is gone.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 09:02:28 am »

The next three:

Parade $4 Action
Trash this. You may choose an action card in your hand. Play it twice. Trash it. Gain an action card costing exactly $1 more than it. Play it twice.

Way more crazy than the last version. I haven't playtested it at all. Probably still a late-game card.

Ballista $3 Action-Attack
+2 Actions
Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards a card.

The only village attack. Playtested a few times. It seems balanced.

Windmill $5 Treasure
Worth $1
Trash a card you have in play other than this. Gain a card costing exactly $1 more.

Treasure trash-for-benefit. Compared to Upgrade, it gives you a coin instead of a card, and it can't trash victory and curse cards, but it lets you play the card one last time before trashing them.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:04:33 am by Wrclass »

Wrclass

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 09:03:20 am »

Redo $3 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

I'm worried this becomes excessively strong on boards with a lot of cards at the same price point. It's also going to deplete piles REALLY FAST, to the point where I start wanting to create a deck to picks up 1-2 Provinces quickly and then just Redo them until the Province pile is gone.

When I made Redo I thought it would be to weak. Now I'll have to playtest it some more to try and discover a good nerf.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 04:32:16 pm »

Playtest Redo a lot.  Just because a lot of people think it may be overpowered doesn't mean it actually is.  The Redo-Fortress combo is probably the biggest problem with it.

Parade is not so compelling to me.  It's not all that interesting to take an existing card and just make it a one-shot.  But anyway, $4 is probably too cheap.  Even as a one-shot, tripling an action is really powerful.  Parade-Bridge may be too easy to pull off.

Ballista is no good.  Since it looks at four cards, it is already more powerful than Spy as an attack.  It does more damage and it stacks better.  It is also likely to be frustratingly slow to resolve.  Scrying Pool is already one of the slowest cards, but this makes the decision more difficult because you have to pick 1 of 4 rather than just looking at a single card.  As a cheap village, it is also looking to be played often.

If you go with it anyway, you need to specify what to do with the remaining 3 cards.  Probably "puts them back on top in an order he chooses", which can also add to slowness quite a bit.  There are 6 permutations with 3 cards, which is much more than the 2 permutations with 2 cards (i.e. Oracle).

Windmill is probably fine, but I think Counterfeit already fills a similar niche.  You should specify whether Windmill can trash itself.  It can be confusing to some, but it IS a card that is in play.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12892
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 04:52:24 pm »

Ballista is no good.  Since it looks at four cards, it is already more powerful than Spy as an attack.  It does more damage and it stacks better.  It is also likely to be frustratingly slow to resolve.  Scrying Pool is already one of the slowest cards, but this makes the decision more difficult because you have to pick 1 of 4 rather than just looking at a single card.
It's not any slower than an opponent's Envoy. Actually it's faster, because with Envoy, you have to check for villages your opponent has played and stuff like that, this just makes you pick the best card out of four. Also, it's worth noting that with Scrying Pool, you look at a single card but have to take their entire deck into account when making the decision (is his average card better than this Duchess or should I make him discard it?), here you see all the cards that affect your decision.

EDIT: Though, I guess it's not strictly faster than Envoy since you might have to spend some time thinking if or not discarding a village is the best play whenever a village is revealed.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 04:55:41 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 05:02:22 pm »

Ballista is no good.  Since it looks at four cards, it is already more powerful than Spy as an attack.  It does more damage and it stacks better.  It is also likely to be frustratingly slow to resolve.  Scrying Pool is already one of the slowest cards, but this makes the decision more difficult because you have to pick 1 of 4 rather than just looking at a single card.
It's not any slower than an opponent's Envoy. Actually it's faster, because with Envoy, you have to check for villages your opponent has played and stuff like that, this just makes you pick the best card out of four. Also, it's worth noting that with Scrying Pool, you look at a single card but have to take their entire deck into account when making the decision (is his average card better than this Duchess or should I make him discard it?), here you see all the cards that affect your decision.

EDIT: Though, I guess it's not strictly faster than Envoy since you might have to spend some time thinking if or not discarding a village is the best play whenever a village is revealed.

Envoy is just one person.  This is all other players.  We should consider games with more than 2p, you know.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 06:27:34 pm »

Envoy is just one person.  This is all other players.  We should consider games with more than 2p, you know.

I changed Ballista to make it a discard attack. Haven't got a chance to playtest Redo again, I was hoping some of you could play with it and give me some feedback.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 07:24:05 pm »

This one could work for Historian. I'm not sure if the size is right though.

Maybe one of these for Blueprints/Redo/Extend?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 17 queries.