Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: questions about goko lobbies  (Read 2817 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
questions about goko lobbies
« on: August 05, 2013, 11:15:53 pm »

is there any difference between the lobbies? it is sort of weird from a functional perspective-- it seems like they all are the same, but then some of them fill up -- but it's desirable to keep clicking on the filled up ones, because they hover around 50 people, which leaves room for one or two open games while the other games are playing, whereas the ones that hover at lower populations don't have as many open tables?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:17:10 pm by ehunt »

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
Re: questions about goko lobbies
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 11:25:50 pm »

is there any difference between the lobbies? it is sort of weird from a functional perspective-- it seems like they all are the same, but then some of them fill up -- but it's desirable to keep clicking on the filled up ones, because they hover around 50 people, which leaves room for one or two open games while the other games are playing, whereas the ones that hover at lower populations don't have as many open tables?

At the moment, their lobby system is probably the worst thing about Goko.  They for some reason seem to not want to change it for some unknown reason.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 11:30:43 pm »

The only functional difference is that in Secret Chamber you can play solitaire games.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 11:33:28 pm »

The only functional difference is that in Secret Chamber you can play solitaire games.
Actually, last I checked, you could play solitaire games in other lobbies, too, IF you went to secret chamber and selected solitaire first (i.e., if your last game/table was a solitaire game, you can play solitaire in that case also).

The OP may also find it helpful that the reason the top gets full is that the system tries to fill you in from the top down - so when you just join a random room without picking one, it will stick you into the highest room that has space.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 08:54:29 am »

Also, some f.ds users prefer Gardens because some other f.ds users prefer Gardens, too, and Outpost is usually the lobby in which you meet for your prearranged games.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 04:02:59 am »
+2

You may use this thread https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/system_update_7_29_13 to ask for changement in the lobby management !

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 04:57:08 am »

Yes, their lobby system is designed by monkeys with keyboards.

If they're going to have different lobbies, they should make them functionally different, like a lobby for Pro Games, one for Casuals, etc...

Lobbies should help the players find the type of game they're looking for, not aggravate them because they can't.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 07:08:21 am »
+3

Lobbies should help the players find the type of game they're looking for

Wolphmaniac

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: DividedSpy
  • Respect: +279
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 12:51:58 pm »

Actually just came in to ask why Goko has these awful rooms with the 50-person cap.  It is taking me forever to get games.  I guess we'll never know.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 12:59:33 pm »

Actually just came in to ask why Goko has these awful rooms with the 50-person cap.  It is taking me forever to get games.  I guess we'll never know.

They are assuming you've told a friend, "Let's meet in Watchtower II."  That way you can go there and not have any distractions from other players.  They seem to think that that is more important than helping people find a game who just want to play with anybody and don't care if they know the person irl.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 01:21:44 pm »

They are assuming you've told a friend, "Let's meet in Watchtower II."  That way you can go there and not have any distractions from other players.  They seem to think that that is more important than helping people find a game who just want to play with anybody and don't care if they know the person irl.
Which is ridiculous. If I want to play with people I know IRL, I play IRL, and I assume this is what most people would do since playing with your friends is fun because they're your friends and you're getting to hang out with your friends while you're playing and hanging out with your friends is fun, but that's not true for Dominion Online since the off-game interaction between the players is very limited and you have to stop playing if you want to chat and stop chatting if you want to play. Online playing is fun because it lets you play against people who are about as good as you are.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 01:27:36 pm »

Meeting someone in a specific lobby isn't ridiculous; having 60 (or whatever it is) available lobbies to do it is ridiculous. As much as I got sick of people bringing up Isotropic, it definitely had the better solution here; one main lobby and one smaller one specifically for meeting people. And the different lobbies had little descriptions with them so it was clear what they were for.

As for the IRL part, well sometimes the person you're playing with is hundreds of miles away, and sometimes you'd rather just get to playing Dominion than setting it up.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.