Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Thinking in terms of Shuffles  (Read 4558 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Thinking in terms of Shuffles
« on: July 03, 2013, 08:49:07 am »
+18

As you play more and more Dominion games you start to develop a better feel for the cards that are in your deck. Maybe you can even remember every single card that's left in your deck at every point during the game. If you do, good job, Rainman! If you don't, like me, you can at least have a general idea about what's left.

The reason I'm writing this is because it's important to think about your game in turns of shuffles instead of turns. If you open Silver/Silver, it doesn't matter if you get a Witch on turn 3 or 4, because in both cases you can only play it on turn 5 the earliest, which is after your reshuffle.

I find myself often having a short term vision and evaluating my deck on a turn by turn basis. First turn after a shuffle: I have $6 now, hmmm, my deck really needs a <random decent $5>, so let's get it now, I might not be able to later. Then the second turn I'm looking at $5 and figure that my deck can't really handle or needs another <random decent $5> and have to settle for a $4 or Silver. If I had turned the order around, I could have gotten a Gold and that $5 I wanted.

So this is what I mean by thinking in terms of shuffles. Rather than thinking: "Which single card do I need now?" it might be better to think "Which cards am I looking to add to my deck this shuffle?" If I don't buy X now, will I be likely to get it later this shuffle? Of course this adds a bit of uncertainty, since you could get unlucky and not be able to get X at all. I think it's at least worth thinking about it and sometimes taking that chance will pay off.

Now I can't really give you any specific advise in the form of: When you have this much money and this much is left in your deck, get X, otherwise, get Y. I'm merely jotting this down to get you to think about the timing of your purchases.

Do you really need to pay much more money now, because you really want that card, or is it better to wait as you can afford it later this shuffle anyway? For example you might have a lucky $8 early and think "well, I want at least 1 Gold before I get a Province", grab a Gold, and have $6 next hand. Reversing this order you could have gotten a Gold and a Province, which in retrospect fits your requirement of "at least 1 Gold before Province", well, the "before" is just awkwardly worded now.

It takes a lot of experience to develop a good feel of what's going on in your deck economy wise and whether skipping that "crucial" card is a good idea, but I'm sure it pays off in the long run. You just feel so silly when you needlessly overspend for something you could have gotten a turn later as well.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking in terms of Shuffles
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 09:04:26 am »
+2

It can also be helpful to consider after a shuffle whether you are ready to buy green cards or not. It can also be helpful to consider how many more times you will draw your green cards after you buy them, thinking again in terms of shuffles.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 09:06:28 am »

It can also be helpful to consider after a shuffle whether you are ready to buy green cards or not. It can also be helpful to consider how many more times you will draw your green cards after you buy them, thinking again in terms of shuffles.
Yes, good points.

Sometimes I get this feeling of "hmm, this 1 extra Gold isn't going to really help me that much" and I might start buying Duchies quite early, figuring I'll be able to get some Provinces in the same shuffle. The more Golds you have, the less of a difference one extra is going to make.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 10:46:34 am »
+5

I've  bought an Estate with 6 Provinces left once because I happened to hit less than $5 at the start of my reshuffle.  I knew that both of our decks would plow through the Provinces and it turned out that that Estate was the little Estate that could, as it won the game for me.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 11:34:48 am »

I've  bought an Estate with 6 Provinces left once because I happened to hit less than $5 at the start of my reshuffle.  I knew that both of our decks would plow through the Provinces and it turned out that that Estate was the little Estate that could, as it won the game for me.

That's kind of about shuffles, but is really more about maintaining a tiebreak. A win is a win, no matter the margin. Doesn't matter if you have an extra Estate or Duchy, as long as you're one turn ahead. Same reason why keeping one Estate with Chapel can be the right call.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 12:17:11 pm »

That's kind of about shuffles, but is really more about maintaining a tiebreak. A win is a win, no matter the margin. Doesn't matter if you have an extra Estate or Duchy, as long as you're one turn ahead. Same reason why keeping one Estate with Chapel can be the right call.

I can well imagine keeping one Estate with Masq or Jack-BM, but keeping an Estate with Chapel? I'm pretty sure that if that's the right call, then buying the Chapel was a mistake (not counting Baron, obviously).

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 12:30:13 pm »

I can well imagine keeping one Estate with Masq or Jack-BM, but keeping an Estate with Chapel? I'm pretty sure that if that's the right call, then buying the Chapel was a mistake (not counting Baron, obviously).

That's why I said it can be the right call. I agree that with fast trashing, it's probably wrong to leave an Estate. But if you get exceptionally unlucky and don't get your Estate trashed, maybe.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Eggplantation

• Baron
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 11:50:12 am »

Maybe you can even remember every single card that's left in your deck at every point during the game. If you do, good job, Rainman! If you don't, like me, you can at least have a general idea about what's left.

If you, the Dutch champion of 2012 can't remember every card in your deck, then there is hope for us all :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 03:37:07 am by Eggplantation »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 01:02:17 pm »

Well, I choose not to, just to keep it interesting.  ;D

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 01:30:46 pm »
+11

Well, I choose not to, just to keep it interesting.  ;D

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 01:35:01 pm »

I expected him to think in Dutch.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 02:27:59 pm »

Well, if you're a child of the Internet age and spend a lot of time on English sites, sometimes you think in English as well.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.329 seconds with 21 queries.