Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: This type of kingdom stumps me...  (Read 1533 times)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
This type of kingdom stumps me...
« on: July 23, 2013, 02:31:37 am »

The kingdom is here:

Here's the log to an aborted game: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130720/log.50a88b70e4b07a80ae66ce03.1374304220012.txt

You'll note I was granted first place by something, but I'm not sure why.  I played Possession following his Tactician.  I possessed the 10-card turn, played one Scrying Pool, and the game just stopped.  No messages, no resignation...I was able to click on cards to read them but not play them, and I could type in the chat box.  I waited 15 minutes or so and then gave up.  Ah Goko...

Anyway, that's not the point.  My general help question is, how does one work on this board?  I open Potion/Silver, but grab a Witch Turn 3, then a Tactician Turn 5 (mistake for sure, probably a second witch there, or silver?)...in my head, I was thinking Scrying Pool with a Witch kicker until Curses are gone, then...I don't know.  Seems like a lot of power cards here.

Thoughts?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
Re: This type of kingdom stumps me...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 03:23:05 am »
+1

What you describe sounds like the Goko bug where if you time out while possessing your opponent, Goko thinks it was your opponent who timed out (you know, because you controlled them and made them do it), so you get the win. I would have thought they'd have fixed that...
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 11:21:39 am »
+2

There seem to be two competing strategies here, a witch+treasure deck and a scrying pool deck. The witch deck can be pretty basic with 2 witches or hermit+witch. The margrave is poor against a witch so you can rule it out as an early game +buy. The scrying pool deck will need to trash out curses and gain actions to compensate for the lack of +buy, so that suggests using the hermit to trash curses for pearl divers. That still leaves coppers in the deck that would need to be removed by a bishop but an early bishop gives a lot of acceleration to an opponent. If you want to stop your opponent bulldozing you with witches you might need a witch of your own. This means that the deck has to compromise on terminal actions and be slightly dysfunctional without a big endgame payload. Possession will not be able to turn that round for you even when paired with double tactician.

I'd not rule out the scrying pool entirely but it looks a struggle. That leaves a witch+treasure deck with some play around bishops, hermits, madmen. The details need to be worked out in play.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 05:19:05 pm »
+1

My thoughts are that Scrying Pool is weak.  There is no easy way to spam actions and no village really puts a damper on things.  One thing for sure is that you want Witch.  And you want to defend from the cursing.  So for me, I'd open with Quarry/Hermit.  What this gives is flexibility.  Hermit can both gain Silvers and trash Estates/Curses throughout the entire game.  Quarry is essentially your Gold for actions making it likely that your aggresive Hermit opening can still result in a turn 3/4 Witch.  If your opponent goes Bishop, take advantage of his trashing.  If your opponent goes for Scrying Pool, don't let him get free trashing from a Bishop of your own.  That would give him a huge increase in tempo, and your goal is to slow down his tempo with Curses.  Focus mostly on a Witch/BM stategy and after 2 Witches, get a Tactician with you next $5.  Once you're done trashing with Hermits get a Madman or two to help get those last pesky Provinces.

Just read all of DG's post, guess we agree on most things.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

GeronimoRex

• Navigator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 11:49:59 am »
+1

ashersky --
I'm with you, I haven't been playing Dominion long enough to intuitively know how to play a board like this -- the Tactician, in particular, would have confused me. But what DG and shark_bait suggest makes sense. It just hard to remember that even "power cards" are only powerful in the right kingdom.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.657 seconds with 22 queries.