Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Intra-Guilds synergies, combos, and nombos  (Read 3637 times)

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
Intra-Guilds synergies, combos, and nombos
« on: June 12, 2013, 05:10:17 pm »

Consider this the counterpart to the "How Guilds affects existing things" thread, I guess. How do our new cards play together?

Butcher+Baker: I've posted about this before, but think it could be a nice combo. Baker coins let you Butcher Estates into Bakers and later Bakers into Provinces. Especially nice with good Copper trashing like Spice Merchant (or Doctor?) It could of course be argued that overrelying on Coin tokens like this carries too high of an opportunity cost, or that it's just too slow like most upgrading-everything-into-Province schemes.

Journeyman+Doctor, Herald+Doctor: Both cards can benefit from trashing, but perhaps more interesting is deck inspection and deck rearrangement (respectively). Journeyman might give some unusually big, high quality hands which I guess might favor overbuying Doctor.

Herald+Journeyman: Herald is a little bit unreliable as Villages go; Journeyman makes up for this somewhat by at least skipping Heralds when you run out of Actions. Admittedly, this sounds like an awfully expensive engine if its biggest selling point is "Well at least it isn't quite so bad when it fizzles," but if that's worth just $1 here and there, it might pay for itself. Herald will also provide deck inspection when it misses, which is nice.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:32:10 pm by WheresMyElephant »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
Re: Intra-Guilds synergies, combos, and nombos
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:40:13 am »

Overpaying a Herald to top deck a card, then overpaying a Doctor to trash it is expensive and silly, but it could be a wise option in extremely rare scenarios.

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 10:02:53 am »

Overpaying a Herald to top deck a card, then overpaying a Doctor to trash it is expensive and silly, but it could be a wise option in extremely rare scenarios.
Well, it potentially enables you to trash all 30 curses you gained in a single buy phase in a 4-player game. ;)
You just need 67 coins and two buys, and all 30 curses in your discard.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:04:32 am by Schlippy »
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:55:51 pm »
+3

So with Baker on the board for a 5/3 opening, using Stonemason... could let you open triple-Ambassador.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:02:47 pm »
+5

If Baker is around, you can open Stone Mason/Treasure Map/Treasure Map/Cellar. Whoa. A trasher, a sifter, and two treasure maps by turn 3. Not bad.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 10:53:27 pm »
+1

So with Baker on the board for a 5/3 opening, using Stonemason... could let you open triple-Ambassador.

Somehow I think buying a Fishing Village instead of a third Ambassador would be a wiser decision.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 01:17:42 am »
+3

Somehow I think buying a Fishing Village instead of a third Ambassador would be a wiser decision.
Who cares about what's wise? I want to be able to play Ambassador, return two Ambassors to the supply, and make my opponent gain one. ON TURN THREE.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 01:58:29 am »
+4

Who cares about what's wise? I want to be able to play Ambassador, return two Ambassors to the supply, and make my opponent gain one. ON TURN THREE.

Especially powerful if your opponent opened with three Ambassadors, as he now has four Ambassadors to deal with.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 02:05:25 am »

I wonder if spamming Advisors will ever be a good idea, as long as you have a pretty homogeneous deck.

It's obviously a worse Lab (it's also costed less), but I think it's comparable to Caravan.
Sure, it sucks when your key card gets discarded, but sometimes you have decks without real key cards and then it could be good. The question is: Would you stock up on this like you would Caravan or Lab?

If you're depending on Advisors to activate Conspirators, they'll just get discarded.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 01:40:57 pm »

You are like the kid who obnoxiously insists you have to play his favorite game with him if his favorite game is Estate tennis.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 20 queries.