Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: promos?  (Read 2624 times)

rrwoods

• Navigator
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
promos?
« on: June 13, 2013, 12:57:42 am »

I feel like I'm getting better at Dominion very rapidly, and I want to play Dominion against others who are better than me in order to continue to improve my game.  Do most of the top players own the promo cards that are available?  You need to play through adventures to obtain them, so up until now I assumed they didn't but I thought I'd ask.

If so, does anyone know the fastest route through the adventure to getting the promos?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: promos?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 01:08:58 am »

I feel like I'm getting better at Dominion very rapidly, and I want to play Dominion against others who are better than me in order to continue to improve my game.  Do most of the top players own the promo cards that are available?  You need to play through adventures to obtain them, so up until now I assumed they didn't but I thought I'd ask.

If so, does anyone know the fastest route through the adventure to getting the promos?

I don't think there is a fastest route. You pretty much have to play them all.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 01:13:30 am »

You can start with the easiest, which are the small ones, Dark Ages and Hinterlands in my oppinion. But to get all the promos, this won't be enough.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 01:14:36 am »

Also, right now it's impossible to get all the promos, because there aren't enough VP points in the adventures to buy them. This might change with Guilds.

I haven't kept up with the whole Walled Village and Google thing, but last I remembered you have to log in with a Google account to get Walled Village.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 01:45:04 am »

I have Envoy and Governor, but I had to play a shitload of Adventures to get there. If you enjoy the adventures then its fine. If you don't then I really don't think it is worth it. I'm not playing to obtain Walled Village because the remaining adventures are all ones with stupidly uneven starting hands, which can't be made even with zaps, and I'm not registrered via google+ anyway. I wouldn't mind another village though.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 02:23:44 am »

I hate adventures, but I do have Envoy and Governor. I have 38 shield things so far. Right now, it is only possible to get 3 promos by winning all the adventures. I assume most top players don't have the promos because of the huge pain it is to get them.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 03:13:40 am »

There is no connection between owning promos and getting to play good players. So, if your main purpose is to play top players, you don't need promos. If you want to own all the cards, you'll have to spend some hours on working through the adventures, I'm afraid.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 07:51:22 am »

I don't have any promos. Well, the question comes down to, do I think the incremental increase in fun I might have by having the promos, which will sow up in small percentages of games, and have only so much impact even when they do, is going to offset the mind-numbing hours of playing the adventures? No. At some point, will there be a break-even where it will be worth it? Yeah, but I doubt I'll play enough before I die to make it worth it. Not to mention it's really uncertain that Goko will be around the years and years in the future it will require. Or that they won't change the system by which you get them.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 09:31:09 am »

and have only so much impact even when they do

Well, governor has a pretty big impact on pretty much 100% of the boards it's on, but that's not necessarily an argument in its favor. :P

I actually enjoyed the Dark Ages adventures since I hadn't played with the cards before and it gave me a starting point for learning how to play some of them. But if you're already familiar with a set, the adventures are going to be tedious as fuck. I also think that the alchemy adventure might actually give you bad habits if you try to learn from it- it really inflates the value of potions and potion cost cards by putting a bunch of them on every board, while most regular dominion games will have one or two at most. A big part of learning to play with alchemy cards is understanding when buying the potion isn't worth it, and the alchemy adventure just gives you a bunch of boards where you're probably going to want two or three.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 10:23:06 am »

By the way, is there any indication when Black Market will be released on Goko?
Because that is the one promo I am really interested in (I do have Governor though).
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

rrwoods

• Navigator
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 05:29:55 pm »

Yeah, but I doubt I'll play enough before I die to make it worth it.
If the top players in the world are saying this then I'm not bothering :-P

Thanks!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 05:31:07 pm »

Yeah, but I doubt I'll play enough before I die to make it worth it.
If the top players in the world are saying this then I'm not bothering :-P

Thanks!
Well, you also have to take into account that playing the adventures at all is a big big detriment in my eyes. But take it for what you will.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 06:18:06 pm »

I also think that the alchemy adventure might actually give you bad habits if you try to learn from it- it really inflates the value of potions and potion cost cards by putting a bunch of them on every board, while most regular dominion games will have one or two at most. A big part of learning to play with alchemy cards is understanding when buying the potion isn't worth it, and the alchemy adventure just gives you a bunch of boards where you're probably going to want two or three.

This is all assuming that you're planning on playing full random. If you're mostly going to be playing games with multiple Alchemy cards, the adventures will teach you good habits. Also, the claim that you probably want to buy 2 or 3 Potions on such boards is false. Knowing how many Potions to buy (including zero) is a much more generally applicable skill than just knowing whether or not to buy one.

I admit that a couple of the Alchemy adventures boards are silly (10 Alchemy cards), but one of the most fun games I've played lately had 6 Alchemy cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.631 seconds with 21 queries.