Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mongol Horde  (Read 6029 times)

WilsonWriter

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: storyteller
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
    • WilsonWriter.com
Mongol Horde
« on: June 12, 2013, 01:46:58 am »

MONGOL HORDE
$5 - Action
+1 Buy, +$2
You may gain one Kingdom card from the Supply, and trash a card from the same pile. When you do, reveal your hand and trash any revealed Victory cards.

We've had a lot of fun playing with this card, using it to take piles down quickly, or to gain attacks and trash them, weakening opponents' counter-attacking chances. It's a good buy early, useful in trashing Estates. One of my new favorite cards.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:54:57 am by WilsonWriter »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Mongol Horde
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 01:54:46 am »

MONGOL HORDE
$5 - Action
+1 Buy, +$2
You may gain one Kingdom card from the Supply, and trash a card from the same pile. When you do, reveal your hand and trash any revealed Victory cards.

We've had a lot of fun playing with this card, using it to take piles down quickly, or to gain attacks and trash them, weakening opponents' counter-attacking chances. It's a good buy early, useful in trashing Estates. One of my new favorite cards.

Turn 3 Possession FTW?

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 05:18:23 am »
+1

Yes, there are cards that are supposed to be really hard to get. Not even just Possession; "gain a Familiar, trash your Estates" is ridiculous for a single card, and Kings Court is guaranteed to be game-winningly strong because there's at least one overpowered action card to play with it (this one...).

But even at $6+ this would be just far too good. Make it cost $6 and trash itself when you play it, with an "if you do..." clause, and then it's debateable.

Here's a question you can ask yourself about powerful cards you invent: is there ever going to be a game where this is on the board, but is not part of the dominant strategy? A lot of people hate Rebuild because it's just so frequently the only reasonable strategy on the board by miles. Your card costs the same as Rebuild, and is just ten times more powerful.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 09:24:02 am »

I dont know which expansions you use but with Potion Costs cards or high costs prosperity cards this is too strong.
it might be okay if you play it with base + intrigue but even then its a pretty strong card. without the woodcutter vanilla bonus it might work. because then its only usefull if you have no victory cards to trash in your hand. and has no use if you do have a province in hand.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:38:17 am »

This is too strong with any expansions. Altar is already very powerful at $6, and this is more powerful at $5.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 09:45:56 am »

This is too strong with any expansions. Altar is already very powerful at $6, and this is more powerful at $5.
yes but if he and his group has fun with it I dont want to judge the idea.

not everybody plays competitive.

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 04:03:27 pm »

MONGOL HORDE
$5 - Action
+1 Buy, +$2

Turn 3 Possession FTW?
With Squire and Watchtower on the board you can have two turn 3 possessions and even topdeck them. (Although usually you only want to topdeck one of them.)
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 04:09:42 pm »
+1

MONGOL HORDE
$5 - Action
+1 Buy, +$2

Turn 3 Possession FTW?
With Squire and Watchtower on the board you can have two turn 3 possessions and even topdeck them. (Although usually you only want to topdeck one of them.)

Possession isn't an attack?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

WilsonWriter

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: storyteller
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
    • WilsonWriter.com
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 04:18:24 pm »

Maybe I should've added that I don't own Alchemy or plan to. These fan cards are ones we've made for our own fun and use with other expansions, and we've had a blast. We're not superstars at this. We just love the imagination and constant variety of the game, and we don't ever plan to play in or win any tournaments--except our own neighborhood tourneys. We have about eight of us who are really into it.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 04:23:37 pm »

For sure, if it's fun for you, that's great. But my idea of a fun game isn't "buy one card, all the way through the game, every game it's in".
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 04:38:24 pm »

Maybe just say gain a kingdom card costing less than X? Seems like that would be a good first step towards balance. Really balanced, X probably would have to be $4 or less, but you could add some difficulty in obtaining this card and make it $5 or less.

RTT

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 05:00:20 pm »

Maybe I should've added that I don't own Alchemy or plan to. These fan cards are ones we've made for our own fun and use with other expansions, and we've had a blast. We're not superstars at this. We just love the imagination and constant variety of the game, and we don't ever plan to play in or win any tournaments--except our own neighborhood tourneys. We have about eight of us who are really into it.
man i´d love to have such a group too.  :)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 05:07:26 pm »

"buy one card, all the way through the game, every game it's in".
You mean Province?  ;D
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 05:10:00 pm »

"buy one card, all the way through the game, every game it's in".
You mean Province?  ;D

I've had more than a few games where buying any provinces is the losing move.

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 05:24:14 pm »

MONGOL HORDE
$5 - Action
+1 Buy, +$2

Turn 3 Possession FTW?

Possession isn't an attack?
Doh!
Ok, but it is still true for familiars. :>
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 10:37:38 pm »

A lot of people hate Rebuild because it's just so frequently the only reasonable strategy on the board by miles. Your card costs the same as Rebuild, and is just ten times more powerful.

I couldn't agree more. About both things.

On topic: If you make players gain a card, you should restrict it somehow. You don't, and even worse You should give such a strong gainer some kind of drawback. Trashing all victory cards isn't one. At the start of the game, it's even an additional advantage. Emptying the pile faster is another bonus. And the coins are one. And the buy is one. It's absolutely crazy. "Gain a card costing up to 6$. Reveal a victory card from your hand and put it on the top of your deck or reveal a hand without victory cards." - that's a 5$. Yours is not.

Edit and also on topic: Making overpowered cards doesn't give more room for play, it narrows the game. Because if you'd at least like to try winning, you have to play a certain way. This is why i'd play a board with Counting House, Chancellor and Scout any time, but can't stand Rebuild.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:38:18 pm by Asper »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 09:21:34 am »

On topic: If you make players gain a card, you should restrict it somehow.

Technically, there is a restriction. It only allows you to gain Kingdom cards, so you can't gain Provinces, Colonies, etc. The card's still way too powerful, but it's by definition not a one-card strategy.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 12:37:05 pm »

Technically, there is a restriction. It only allows you to gain Kingdom cards, so you can't gain Provinces, Colonies, etc. The card's still way too powerful, but it's by definition not a one-card strategy.

Oops, i didn't read carefully.

Minion can be a one-card-strategy, and it is fine for me, while Rebuild isn't strictly a one-card-strategy and i hate it (for what was allredy said). What makes this card terrible is that, no matter what else is on the board, you can't skip it. Whatever strategy you go for, it has to include Mongol Horde (edge cases like kingdoms with only 2$-4$s aside).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 01:07:00 pm »

Oops, i didn't read carefully.

Minion can be a one-card-strategy, and it is fine for me, while Rebuild isn't strictly a one-card-strategy and i hate it (for what was allredy said). What makes this card terrible is that, no matter what else is on the board, you can't skip it. Whatever strategy you go for, it has to include Mongol Horde (edge cases like kingdoms with only 2$-4$s aside).

Not true.  There are plenty of kingdoms where you don't want any $5s, or where it is far more effective to just buy the $5 outright.  I'd rather just buy Witch, Mountebank or Wharf than pick this up and have to wait another reshuffle.

This is still too powerful a card, but it is not an always-go card.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 09:37:24 pm »

I don't think that this is necessarily too powerful since you might not want to gain tons of Kingdom cards in a given game, but this gains Kingdom cards, trashes cards from the Supply, gives a good number of coins with a buy, and thins your deck of Victory cards (which is a benefit early on and will simply not be played later). That's a lot of things for a single card to do.

I would try one of these, they're a bit more focused and will show which features are particularly fun:
Sawmill
+$2
Gain a card costing up to $4.
While this is in play, when you gain a card,
you may trash a copy of it from the Supply.
$5 ACTION

Raiders

+1 Buy
+$2

Reveal your hand. Trash the
revealed Victory cards.
$4 ACTION

Architect
Gain a Kingdom card.
$5 ACTION
but Architect probably doesn't play much differently from University except that you can use it to Gardens-rush ala Workshop. Or rush any alternate Victory card for that matter. Vineyard, ho!
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 12:50:19 am »

Architect
Gain a Kingdom card.
$5 ACTION
but Architect probably doesn't play much differently from University except that you can use it to Gardens-rush ala Workshop. Or rush any alternate Victory card for that matter. Vineyard, ho!

Vineyard is more difficult to buy (Potions!) and it is restricted not only by cost (up to $5) but also by type (actions only).  It also provides +actions, but realistically you almost never intend to use it as a village.  It's just a gainer.

Architect, in contrast, is easier to buy, unrestricted by type and unrestricted by cost.

Another comparable card is Altar.  Again, Altar is restricted by cost (and again, it's up to $5).  It has a bonus in being able to gain Duchies (and other non-Kingdom cards) and it also trashes, which has pros and cons (notable con: it's more difficult to use effectively with KC because it could end up trashing the rest of your hand).  And it costs $6.

Architect is probably a $6 card.  I would say that its power level is on par with Altar simply because it can gain the $7 actions and is lacking a major gate (cost, type, even a mandatory trash).  Its only drawback really is that it can't gain Provinces/Colonies directly... but it can gain the cards to quickly set you on that path.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 09:24:35 am »

Architect
Gain a Kingdom card.
$5 ACTION

[University] is more difficult to buy (Potions!) and it is restricted not only by cost (up to $5) but also by type (actions only).  It also provides +actions, but realistically you almost never intend to use it as a village.  It's just a gainer.

Architect, in contrast, is easier to buy, unrestricted by type and unrestricted by cost.

Another comparable card is Altar.  Again, Altar is restricted by cost (and again, it's up to $5).  It has a bonus in being able to gain Duchies (and other non-Kingdom cards) and it also trashes, which has pros and cons (notable con: it's more difficult to use effectively with KC because it could end up trashing the rest of your hand).  And it costs $6.

Architect is probably a $6 card.  I would say that its power level is on par with Altar simply because it can gain the $7 actions and is lacking a major gate (cost, type, even a mandatory trash).  Its only drawback really is that it can't gain Provinces/Colonies directly... but it can gain the cards to quickly set you on that path.
I think the primary reason that Altar needs to cost $6 is because it can gain Duchies and to prevent it from gaining Altars. The mandatory trash of Altar is slow enough that it hardly constitutes a "gate." I would call Altar's trashing more a benefit than limiter.

More often than not there aren't any $7 Kingdom cards, Potion cost cards, or alternate Victory cards that would be compatible with a Workshop-style rush, and even with those there may not be a desire to gain a ton of them. Thus, similarly to University, this Architect would simply not be worth buying in opposition to simply buying the cards you want directly on many boards but even moreso than the Alchemy card for being terminal. This theoretical card could probably be fine at $6, but because it can gain copies of itself regardless of the price that it is set to, I don't think any price would really be a limiter to its usefulness.
Architect
Gain a Kingdom card
that is not Architect.
$6 ACTION
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.721 seconds with 20 queries.