Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36  All

Author Topic: The Resistance: Avalon (Evil wins!)  (Read 65723 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
Re: The Resistance: Avalon
« Reply #850 on: September 01, 2013, 07:24:46 pm »

MVP has to be either liopoil or Archetype. lio for getting himself on missions early and Arch for flying under the radar and getting on the crucial last mission.

On the other hand, mail-mi wins the post game guessing game for getting everything correct and being the only one other than Merlin (who used LotL on Mordred) to correctly identify the whole spy team.

Also, props to all three spies for correctly identifying Merlin.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: September 01, 2013, 07:26:06 pm »

You got my list slightly wrong, that was the pre-losing list. I actually put someone else as Mordred. I don't remember who. Erm probably was Arch, let me check... Ashersky? Sure whatever, I said that.

Oh, man, all three spies even got Merlin. I thought I was doing a decent job of looking like Merlin as well. I think Lio not being Oberon was probably the big kick in the teeth. I knew if he wasn't, there was a good chance I'd obviously not be him. I was pretty confident mail-mi was bad and nkirbit was good from quite early, so from then on it was just a case of trying to look like I was Merlin, which I apparently failed at.

Well, good game spies. You played well.

(nkirbit, did you think I was Percival for a while, or did you legitimately only work it out during M5? Just curious...)
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: September 01, 2013, 07:31:15 pm »

You got my list slightly wrong, that was the pre-losing list. I actually put someone else as Mordred. I don't remember who. Erm probably was Arch, let me check... Ashersky? Sure whatever, I said that.

Fixed.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: September 01, 2013, 07:34:12 pm »

I have no idea why I'd put Ash down, but in case context doesn't make it clear, I'd decided most of the people anyway. Once the mission failed I knew someone on mission was the last spy (knowing mail-mi + Lio were spies for near certain), honestly, Arch probably should have been my first guess. Would have still gotten them the wrong way around though. And even if the mission went ahead, spies would have almost certainly assassinated nkirbit.

It was a good game. It felt very tense, and quite close, at least until I saw the final result. But a good game of Resistance still only has one winner, and I think the people who played better won here.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: September 01, 2013, 07:47:56 pm »

I figured you were Percival when you were pushing for the mail-mi being a spy narrative.

I kept hoping someone would make a case on arch.. I reasonably couldn't, would have obviously been Merlin had a done so.

Spies got very lucky in that they twice had one fail on a mission with two spies, but they also played very very well

Mail-mi saying, "I'm going to accept this proposal" for no reason IS a scum slip. I stand by that

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: September 01, 2013, 08:08:58 pm »

Thank you Jimmmmm for running this!

Major props to Archetype, who had me quite fooled.

To be honest, I didn't enjoy this game much. I kinda felt like people were punishing non-conforming thinking and playing. I wasn't exactly right about things but after a certain point I felt I wasn't even being heard. There were a couple points where I was really upset about it. I think resistance played pretty poorly here, and spies (especially arch) quite well.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: September 01, 2013, 08:14:15 pm »

Thank you Jimmmmm for running this!

Major props to Archetype, who had me quite fooled.

To be honest, I didn't enjoy this game much. I kinda felt like people were punishing non-conforming thinking and playing. I wasn't exactly right about things but after a certain point I felt I wasn't even being heard. There were a couple points where I was really upset about it. I think resistance played pretty poorly here, and spies (especially arch) quite well.

I think if we played again it would be good to restrict it to 5-7 players, especially while we still have a fair few people still learning the game. It seems that multiple people still don't really understand exactly how the roles work, which is pretty important. Maybe it would have been better if we played a smaller game with fewer roles. I'll definitely play if someone else wants to run another game at some point, otherwise if I think there's enough interest I might eventually run another game myself.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
Re: The Resistance: Avalon (Evil wins!)
« Reply #857 on: September 01, 2013, 08:27:09 pm »

I'd be happy to run another game, is there interest?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: September 01, 2013, 08:28:13 pm »

What are you thinking of running? ie number of people, roles etc.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: September 01, 2013, 08:28:38 pm »

Whatever the people want!

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: September 01, 2013, 08:28:56 pm »

Although probably limited to 7 players.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: September 01, 2013, 08:29:33 pm »

Whatever the people want!

I'd probably play whatever, but I'd suggest no more than 7 people at this stage, and at least Merlin and probably Percival.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: September 01, 2013, 08:32:31 pm »

7 players is really the sweet spot for Resistance. 6 players comes close, but feels a little more dry. So I'd try for 7 players personally.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: September 01, 2013, 09:00:00 pm »

Are you guys against plot cards for the most part?

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: September 01, 2013, 10:03:30 pm »

Woo!

This was fun! I've never played this expansion, so being Oberon was fun. It was a bit tough at the beginning since I didn't know who to defend and who to accuse, so I just acted like a Servant, and it worked well. I almost failed the mission with lio and I, then decided against it for Towncred and if there was a Spy buddy on the mission I'd know who it is. Luckily, getting Dsell to trust me worked really well, so that was a big boost. Admittedly, I thought Ashersky was Merlin for pulling a 'I have no idea what is going on here' scam, but once nkirbit started asking me a bunch of questions, I knew it was him.

Overall, awesome game! And I'd always be up for another!

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: September 01, 2013, 10:05:46 pm »

Also, well played mail-mi. I thought you were Percival and knew nkirbit was town, so you figured I was scum since nkirbit (at least, from what I could tell) was hinting that I was a Spy, but didn't really come out with it.

Bad luck to you, lio. If  nkirbit had investigated me this game would've been a bit different.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: September 01, 2013, 10:36:58 pm »

being just a reguular peep was tough.

Basically, there were a ton of people who had interactions that I only sorta knew about or understood.  It made "scumhunting" not so easy.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: September 01, 2013, 10:57:33 pm »

Are you guys against plot cards for the most part?

Since being introduced to the game on these forums I've played quite a bit of Avalon IRL. I've never played with plot cards, but I strongly suspect that I prefer roles to plot cards, which is why I bought Avalon and not the original. So I will play with plot cards if that's what we're doing, but it wouldn't be my preference.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: September 01, 2013, 11:53:29 pm »

This game also dragged on way, way too long for what it was, which is why I don't think it translates nearly as well as mafia does.  I found myself losing interest by like, Mission 2, unfortunately.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: September 01, 2013, 11:54:59 pm »

Y'all should join my How to Host a Murder game. I don't know how well it'll work PBF, but link in the sig. It'll be fun and not too long.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: September 02, 2013, 12:03:28 am »

This game also dragged on way, way too long for what it was, which is why I don't think it translates nearly as well as mafia does.  I found myself losing interest by like, Mission 2, unfortunately.

What's the solution? Fewer people? Shorter deadlines?

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: September 02, 2013, 12:06:33 am »

What's the solution? Fewer people? Shorter deadlines?

I'm not sure there is one, unfortunately... it's just doomed to be a worse forum game than mafia.  Mafia's based entirely mostly on interactions, so it's reasonable to just sit there and expect people to talk.  This is based on actions, such as who votes where etc. and a lot of actions are required.  You can't realistically have deadlines shorter than 24 hours, and having up to a week or so per mission is really just too long for what the game is.  It just doesn't have the depth of mafia, and that's fine in real life because a game takes 30 minutes, but online it's just too slow for the amount of depth it has.

It's still okay.. just not great.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 02, 2013, 12:34:10 am »

Some stats.

Most Missions (out of 5)
nkirbit: 5
liopoil: 3
Archetype: 3
Twistedarcher: 3
ashersky: 3
shraeye: 2
Dsell: 1
mail-mi: 1
Tables: 0

Most Correct Proposals (guaranteed to succeed) (out of 2)
Tables: 1
Archetype: 1 (mission 4, only 1 Spy)
ashersky: 1
Everyone else: 0

Most Correct Votes (out of 18)
nkirbit: 13
Tables: 12
ashersky: 11
shraeye: 10
Dsell: 10
mail-mi: 10
Archetype: 9
liopoil: 8
Twistedarcher: 5

Highest % Correct Approvals
nkirbit: 2/3
Tables: 2/4
shraeye: 3/8
Dsell: 3/9
ashersky: 2/5
mail-mi: 1/4
Archetype: 1/5
liopoil: 1/6
Twistedarcher: 1/8

Most Approved Leader (out of 16)
liopoil: 9 (everyone who rejected a 4th Proposal)
Twistedarcher: 9
Archetype: 8
Tables: 5
nkirbit: 5
shraeye: 4
ashersky: 4
mail-mi: 2

Most Proposed Team Member (out of 16)
nkirbit: 14
Twistedarcher: 10
shraeye: 8
liopoil: 6
Archetype: 5
Dsell: 5
ashersky: 4
Tables: 1
mail-mi: 1

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: September 03, 2013, 11:19:14 am »

Fun game. I was watching through most of it. During the last day I thought mail-mi, lio and dsell were the scum team from a viewers standpoint. Although I never quite grasped the significance of all the roles/interactions, so wasn't really looking for those indicators.

I might be interested in trying this out, if only for the sake of potentially buying for my game collection.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 03, 2013, 02:00:30 pm »

Fun game. I was watching through most of it. During the last day I thought mail-mi, lio and dsell were the scum team from a viewers standpoint. Although I never quite grasped the significance of all the roles/interactions, so wasn't really looking for those indicators.

I might be interested in trying this out, if only for the sake of potentially buying for my game collection.

If you've got a good game group I highly recommend it! I don't have Avalon but even the base game is a blast. I am trying to figure out the best way to implement some elements of Avalon with the base game, because I really like the roles.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 16 queries.