Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Noob bragging!  (Read 1145 times)

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
Noob bragging!
« on: May 22, 2013, 02:39:10 am »

For arguably the first time ever I played a game where I'm sort of proud of my game plan. I'm sure it is really a totally obvious game plan, but usually I would probably just have went on a Caravan binge on this board:

http://www.dominiondeck.com/games/poor-house

For those who don't want to click on that link: Poor House, Native Village, Loan, Steward, Caravan, Farming Village, Trader, Wandering Minstrel, Explorer, Mint.

Game log: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130521/log.50f70ca7e4b0c53c94b0ca2d.1369203847569.txt

For the first time I managed to use Poor House and Steward properly with the idea to trash down to zero treasure and just a couple of poor houses and a village. I got lucky on turn 5 being able to buy mint to trash 5 coppers (and then I trashed Mint with Steward the next turn). I needed a village to play both Poor houses and went for Farming Village for no particular reason. Not really sure if Farming Village or Wandering Minstrel is the best choice here, but in the end it made no difference. For turn 8 I now drew my entire hand of Caravan, Farming Village, Steward, Poor House, Poor House and bought my first Province. I then proceeded to buy one province every round, with Caravan/Farming Village making sure I kept drawing and playing the two Poor Houses every round. I could have gotten unlucky with this after the Provinces started filling up my deck, but I didn't. I bought my fifth Province in round 12 to close the game.

Lord Bottington wasn't far after me, though, having gone for a Caravan heavy strategy, which I guess would have been my first instict as well.

Now, did I just get lucky here with the Mint buy and the lack of Province conflicts during the later rounds, or was my strategy here the correct one?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Noob bragging!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:21:36 am »

You can't argue against 5Prov/12 turns with no +buy on the board and no gain beside Treasures.

T4 Mint of course totally fits to your strategy, but Steward is strong trashing, too.  And Bottingham does not have such a different strategy, he also goes for the small, almost treasureless deck and a Poor House.  He just has some more turns of buying Caravans because he can't start buying Provinces that early.
I guess FV>WM here was the right call, both filter Victories, but FV does it now and the Minstrel for the next turn, and as this is so close. Also, the FV is guaranteed to either find Steward, Caravan or Poor House if you don't have both PHs in your hand. Caravan is only in the deck half of the time, so while it seems that you need a 3 card collision, you only need to collide two cards (FV and 1 out of two Poor Houses), and you than have a quite good chance to find the missing PH if it's not in your hand already. Don't want to calculate the odds, but the deck is quite small, you certainly had some luck that this works every hand (not that it probably will break down T13 (you would draw one card from Caravan that could rescue you)), but I would not be too surprised if the chance is somewhere at 20-30% that this will actually work 5 times in a row with this deck:
You start with 5 cards in T8, so T8 is guaranteed to work, T9 and T10 also because you have 2 cantrips. So the only risk is in 11 and 12, and you still have Caravan which draws cards, and FV which skips Provinces.  Edit: After this analysis, my bet is on odds >30%...

Edit: T10 is not guaranteed, you could draw 2xProv2xPH1xSteward, but the odds of this is 1/21. That's wrong, you had a Caravan from last turn, giving you a 6 card hand in a 6 card deck (excluding Caravan).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:45:53 am by DStu »

Blueswan

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 04:10:28 am »

Thank you for the analysis. Hopefully this means I'm getting better.  :)

EDIT: I guess not. Just lost big to Banker Bot in a Golem/Rogue game.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:20:35 am by Blueswan »

Blueswan

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 03:37:41 pm »

I might actually have gotten a bit better today. I started the day ranked around #800 or so, with a rating around 4500 or so. Now I'm at an alltime high of #261 with a rating of 5194. I even played a couple of humans today. Two multiplayer games. Won one, came in second in the other.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.593 seconds with 22 queries.