Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14  All

Author Topic: [RPG] Deadlands: Reloaded - character creation and coach-ride  (Read 33881 times)

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile

In-Character Introduction: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7935.msg234103#msg234103

Sign-ups:
1. Galzria
2. Jorbles (Jimmy Twocards)
3. Jack Rudd (Amanda Jackson)
4. ashersky
5. Lekkit (Cliff Davidsson)
6. spiritbears (Brigham Young VI...aka Bob)

Introduction
Some folks have expressed interest in playing an RPG here on the forums.  I've been playing RPGs for a good while.  I've played several systems, and thus far Savage Worlds has been my favorite.  I also really like the flavor of Deadlands, and so that's the game I prefer to run (assuming there is sufficient interest).

I'm going to run a Plot Point Campaign (Savage Worlds "modules" which are a bit more freeform with an over-riding story), in order to help keep things somewhat focused and to help with giving an overall plot. 

As with anything of this sort, there are spoilers out there for the story.  Of course, there will be flavor elements based on your characters, and how you approach things that can make this look different from "typical".  I'm certainly not afraid to take major detours, and handle things differently, so you may not know exactly what's going to happen, even if you're familiar with the campaign.  Ideally you'll just know nothing of it, and get to be surprised as things happen.  If you do know the story ahead of time, you are not prohibited from playing, but please try to maintain In-Character lack of knowledge, and don't spoil it for others :)

This is the sign-up/character creation/interest check thread.  I'll move to a different thread once we start playing (and possibly periodically depending on how big the threads get).  The second post here is sort of a GM-Player contract, just something to make sure we're all on the same page as far as playing the game goes.  The third post here is setting information, important stuff about the Deadlands universe, if you're familiar with Deadlands you can skip this post.  The fourth post is stuff relevant to this specific game.  This post is an introduction, and some expectations regarding PbF RPGs.  If you've never played a PbF RPG you should read this post...if you've played RPGs online before you can skip the rest of this post.

Once someone creates a character, I'll add an in-character component to this thread.

Expectations for a PbF RPG
The goal here is to make expectations clear...this is a long-term commitment, and RPGs can tend to be pretty involved.  That said, the important part of the commitment is not to keep playing no matter what, but just to keep the GM and fellow players informed.

So, I've run a couple Savage Worlds games on MythWeavers, though they died out (as so many PbF RPGs do).  But I think with a tighter community (such as we have here) there's a much better chance for this to succeed.

RPGs work pretty differently from the other games played here.  There's a lot more in-game conversation going on than a typical board-game (making it more similar to a mafia game).  In particular, the situation where conversation is dominated by a couple active players can arise just as in mafia games.  So players with lower post-counts can start to feel overwhelmed with trying to keep up.  Now, just as in a mafia game...it's OKAY if you aren't posting a lot, you shouldn't feel pressured to do so, but there is a level of commitment needed, and you might feel overwhelmed by the reading.

RPGs also take a LONG time.  A gaming session which would be maybe 3-4 hours in person, easily stretches to 1-2 months (maybe more) in PbF.  So, a 20-session campaign which would probably take about half a year for a group meeting FtF, will run a few years on PbF.  That's a long time to commit to something.

The combination of both of these things, means that players have a tendency to drop out and need replaced (so do GMs, though hopefully that won't be an issue :) ).  If you do need to drop out that's fine, but please let me know.  If you're just feeling overwhelmed, but want to keep playing, or if you need to take a couple months off or anything, let me know that too.  Anyways, if you can keep me informed, I'll appreciate it, it will help keep things moving for everyone, and just make a more positive experience overall. 

On the other side, it'd be great to have some subs available.  If you're interested in playing, but the game is full, I hope you'll be a substitute for the (essentially inevitable) missing players.

So, if I didn't scare you off, let's move on to the fun parts.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:25:43 am by theorel »

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

My GM Style
So, what can you expect from me as a GM?  I'm NOT an adverserial GM.  If anything I tend to be too lenient, and let players get away with more than they should.  OTOH, I won't pull punches.  If you go out and get yourself killed (or if the dice decide you should die), then you'll die.  I personally think this creates a more enjoyable experience for playing, but in particular I think it fits the Deadlands horror-style especially well.

I'm not interested in narrating Mature situations.  Which mostly means no sexual encounters, but basically it means that this game will be PG-13.  I don't have a problem with people that like to play those games, but I'm not running it.

I'm not into minutiae and realism.  I run relatively cinematic-style games.  Eating, resting places, etc, are for purposes of story, not to drain your resources.  The only things that might seem minor but you'll need to track are ammunition and weight.  Both are relatively important aspects of the rules.

Player Expectations
I expect your character to have some degree of humanity.  Even if they're "in it for the money", I expect them not to go massacring children, etc.  Some realistic moral boundaries are required.  Preferrably some level of heroism (not necessarily all-out heroic).  Ideally, if moral dilemmas are presented to the characters, they will actually try to solve the dilemma, not just burn the town to the ground to get the zombies.

I also expect players to try to maintain "genre".  In a western, folks generally aren't looting corpses for instance (Though taking a nice weapon from someone you killed is fine, stealing every revolver you come across is excessive). 

That's all I've got for the moment...these things can be discussed.  Questions appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:18:25 pm by theorel »

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

Deadlands Setting
Quote from: Deadlands: Reloaded
Strap on your six-gun and saddle up, partner. There's Hell to pay and the currency is hot lead!

The year is 1879, but the history is not our own. The guns of the Civil War are silent in a tense cease-fire. California is shattered by the Great Quake of 1868, a superfuel called ghost rock revealed in the new channels and cliff faces. Powerful Rail Barons strive to complete a transcontinental railroad, and the Great Rail Wars exact a bloody toll in the Union, the Confederacy, the Sioux Nation, the Mormon state of Deseret, and the Independent Commonwealth of California.

The Tombstone Epitaph has always been filled with lurid tales of daring desperadoes and deadly drifters, but lately the West's most-read tabloid claims there's something more sinister stalking the fronteir's lonely plains: monsters! Fortunately, where there are monsters, there are heroes. Squinte-eyed gunfighters, card-chucking hexsligners, savage braves, and righteous padres have all answered the call. And if they fight hard enough, they might just discover the identity of the mysterious Reckoners some say are behind it all.

Deadlands is a western-horror setting.  Now, "horror" can mean lots of things, in this case it means that "fear" is out there, it's tangible, and it wants to kill you (or worse) in order to get people to be afraid, and keep them afraid.

Idea of the Setting
Basically, this is the "Weird West".  So, start with your typical western with cattle-drives,  stetsons, dusters, six-shooter revolvers, high noon duels, bounty hunters, criminals, indians, and law men.  Add in some Steam-Punk elements (Ghost Rock being the enabler), magic and monsters are real, and something dark lurks in the shadows...and essentially you have deadlands.  I'll cover character archetypes down in the character creation section, to give an idea of how your character can participate in those elements.

I give a short summary below (and a timeline).  Here is a separate excellent resource, that has most of what you would find in the start of the Player's Guide:
http://rifts.wetpaint.com/page/Deadlands+-+Stormcrow
Geography
Map: http://www.peginc.com/freebies/DL_Reloaded/DLRmapwebdownload.png
So, the civil war is currently halted in a cease-fire.  This means you have the USA (Union), and CSA (Confederacy).  Some states are claimed by both sides (Disputed Territories).  Then there are other areas that have claimed some form of independence:
-Sioux Nations (ca. 1872):
Founded by Chief Sitting Bull and other Lakota Elders.  It is a coallition of 6 separate tribes of Indians.
-Republic of Deseret (ca. 1866)
Home of Hellstromme Industries.  Brigham Young leads, but Hellstromme is the power that enables them to maintain independence.  Hellstromme is a Mad Scientist, and has invented lots of advanced technology.
-Coyote Confederation (ca. a874)
Home to many southern indian tribes.  Led by a mysterious individual named Coyote.
-California/City of Lost Angels/Shan Fan:
Shan Fan is the home of many Eastern immigrants.  Kang (head of the Iron Dragon rail line) makes his home here.
Lost Angels is the home of Reverend Grimme.  Highly religious man, realistically viewed as the leader of most of California.

Railroads
In our world the railroads were important.  In Deadlands, with Ghost Rock, and an offer of a very valuable exclusivity contract from the USA and CSA for the first railroad to bridge the nation, they're extremely important and violently disposed against each other.  As major players in national affairs, they're sure to come up in game.
Union Blue: The Union's own railroad company.
Dixie Rails: The Confederacy's railroad.
Wasatch: Hellstromme's railroad.
Bayou Vermillion: Railroad run by Baron Lacroix, based out of Louisiana.
Black River: Railroad run by Mina Devlin.
Denver Pacific: Railroad owned by Smith and Robards (other technologists who sell weird science devices to the public)
Iron Dragon: Railroad run by Kang, based out of Shan Fan.

History
I'm not going to cover the whole history, but just try to highlight major points of departure from our own.
So, things are essentially standard history up until the American Civil War.
(Note: Emancipation Proclamation (1863) issued as normal, declared rebelling slaves free)
(1863) The Battle of Gettysburg did not go according to history...the south won the battle, some claiming that the dead rose from their graves to continue the fight.
Various tweaks to outcomes of battles, suffice to say no one is really winning the war.
1864: South enacts a law to emancipate slaves that fight, in order to gain European aid.
1865: CSA President, Jefferson Davis frees all slaves.
???: USA frees all slaves, including its own.
1868: Great Quake-Large chunks of California fall into the sea, what remains is largely a maze of waterways known as the Great Maze.
1868: Ghost Rock discovered, technological revolution begins. -south first begins developing advanced machines of war over the next several years.
1871: South takes Washington using Ghost Rock-powered machines.
1872: South withdraws from washington.
<war continues for 7 more years>
1879: Cease Fire between North and South.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:25:53 pm by theorel »

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

As mentioned, for this game we'll be playing through the Last Sons Plot Point Campaign.

Quote from: Last Sons
Arrogant gunfighters draw shootin’ irons at the slightest provocation. Jayhawkers, Bluebellies, and Rebs murder each other over tiny plots of Kansas soil. Soldiers massacre Indians. Indians butcher miners. Sisters kill brothers, and vice versa. Everyone knows a stranger is never to be trusted. And it isn’t rage that’s the cause of all this fighting—it’s sheer terror.

We'll start out on a stagecoach heading towards Deadwood in the Sioux Nations, from Bismarck which was moved to Minnesota in Deadlands.  Deadwood is the only mining town in the Sioux Nations.  Ghost Rock can be found in the Black Hills of Dakota, and so miners want to be there.  The indians allow them to be in Deadwood, and allow them to have mining claims.  They are prohibited from leaving their claims/deadwood, and are killed if caught away from town.  People complain, but nothing's done.

Rules / House Rules
Deadlands: Reloaded is a setting using the Savage Worlds Rules.  You can check out their free test-drive rules here:
http://www.peginc.com/freebies/SWcore/TD06.pdf

There are a few things not in there, and some setting-relevant changes, but it should give an idea.

In addition Deadlands introduces several setting rules to help things feel more like the Weird West.
GM=Marshall...I'll use them interchangably
-Dueling-
Dueling is handled through a combination of rolls and a poker hand.
Face Off: Roll opposed Intimidation/Taunt, winner gets a +2 on their shooting roll.  Loser went for his gun first according to observers.
Luck o' the Draw: Texas Hold-em style poker hand.  Deal 2 cards +1/grit to each combatant.  Reveal 3-card "flop", 1-card "turn", 1-card "river".  Either combatant can call "Draw" after each reveal (starting after the flop).
Reach for It!: Each combatant chooses to go speed or accuracy.  If speed, then they have to draw and shoot in one action (and suffer appropriate penalty, usually -2).  If accuracy, they shoot after someone who went speed.
Swappin' Lead: roll shooting, if you hit roll damage.  Damage gets a +1d6 per hand difference in the poker hands.
After the initial trade of damage if either is still standing, it moves to normal combat rounds.
-Fate Chips-
Instead of bennies players get fate chips (poker chips), they come in 3 colors: White, Red, and Blue.
White chips work like bennies.
Red chips can be used as white OR used to add 1d6 to a roll.  If used to add 1d6, Marshall gets a chip draw.
Blue chips can be used as white OR used to add 1d6 to a roll.  Marshall doesn't get a chip.
Legend Chips (these can be earned over the course of the campaign).
Can be used as blue chip with a +2 bonus.  Or to reroll ANY roll (whites only reroll your trait rolls), Or for +1 XP at the end of a "session".
-Gambling-
Handled similar Dueling (see here if interested: http://www.peginc.com/freebies/DL_Reloaded/DLRSecondPrintingAdditions.pdf)
-Revolvers-
(Fanning the Hammer)
With a single-action revolver you can make up to 6 shots at once, as for auto-fire (roll 1 shooting die per shot, bot only one wild die for all shots), but you suffer a -4 penalty on all the shots.  You hit innocent bystanders on 1 or 2.  (Note: there are edges to improve this)
--
Double-action revolvers can double tap.  This uses 2 shots, and gives a +1 bonus to hit and damage.
-Grit-
Your character has a Grit stat (equal to +1 per rank) which acts as a bonus to guts rolls to resist terror.  This is especially important because the environment will apply penalties to your guts rolls.

House Rules
Athletics (Strength): This skill absorbs Swimming, Throwing, and Climbing.  It uses Strength as the linked attribute.

Fate Chips: can also be spent for some minor narrative control.  Basically, this allows you to spend fate chips for qualitative things as well as quantitative.
-

Particular PbF Rules
Outside combat, the game will be run pretty freeform.  You're free to narrate things (including minor NPC interactions) in order to help bring the world to life, and help bring out your character.

Combat is handled a little differently:
-Please try to give me a Modus Operandi (MO) for your character.  If you don't I'll take my best guess at what your character would do.
-While I'll pull cards for initiative, I'll be dividing it into blocks around "enemies".  You can act any time within your block.  If you want to wait until a friendly has acted, please leave a conditional order to that effect. 
(Basically all PCs are considered to be on hold choosing to act only before a hostile acts, and allowing other PCs to act before them).
-In order to keep combat moving (this can really bog down PbF games), please try to post at least once every 24 hours during combat.  Any player not posting, will have their character act according to their MO.  This means that an initiative block will not last more than 24 hours...ideally we can finish at least 1 combat round/day.

I'll give you defense numbers up front.  Ideally you'll be able to determine for yourself whether you hit, and even better narrate the effects.  If you don't feel competent to do so (especially at first), just roll damage and attack every time.  I'll handle whether it hit, and how much damage it did.  If you don't roll damage, I'll roll it for you.

Outside of Combat I'll say a minimum of one post every 72 hours or so, preferably at least once a day.

Character Creation Particulars
If you want to do all your own character creation, you can reference the Quick-Drive Rules linked above.  This will also be helpful: (Savagepedia's list of Hindrances/Edges Core Rules and Deadlands :Reloaded/Flood Plot Point only).  Ask about anything that seems interesting and I'll fill you in on the full rules as needed.  There are some Edges/Hindrances not listed there and some Core Hindrances/Edges are not available in Deadlands, so run by me whatever you're thinking of taking.
Here's a list of Hindrances/Edges from Last Sons which haven't been added to savagepedia:
Hindrances:
Allergy, Coup Counter, Intolerant, Trouble Magnet. 
(All except Coup Counter have minor and major variants, Coup Counter is minor.)
Edges:
Gallows Humor (Taunt d6; make a joke to resist fear effects)
Two-Gun Kid (Veteran, Marksman, Two-Fisted, Shooting d10; apply marksman to 2 separate targets )
Liquid Courage (Vigor d8; bonus from drinking alcohol)
Patron Spirit (AB (Miracles), Spirit d8; Spend a Fate Chip to extend miracles)
Seen the Elephant (Veteran, True Grit, Guts d8; -4 on fear effects table roll)
Totem Spirit (AB(Shamanism), Spirit d8; powers cheaper with a raise)

New Power: Contact Spirit World. Lets you contact spirits.  Gets more powerful with Rank.

You'll also be wanting equipment.  You have $250.  Here are some pages with a decent equipment list:
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/deadlands-weird-west/items
Two Notes:
1: it's missing gatling weapons and most weird science devices.  If you are interested in such items let me know.  It's also missing Horses, a horse will run you $150.  Though since you're starting on a stagecoach, you'll want to buy the horse in Deadwood, or have some other means of getting it there.  It's fine to spend the 150 on a horse now, and just say "I have a horse waiting for me in Deadwood"
2: You can buy El Cheapo stuff for half price.  It has a tendency to fail, or gives a charisma penalty.  If you buy an El Cheapo horse, he'll have some hindrances.

Alternatively, feel free to come up with a concept, and I'll help you flesh it out into stats.  Note: I do mean help you, you'll still create the character, I'll just guide you through the process and give pointers to help you get to the concept.

Your character also needs to be more than stats.  Backgrounds are important, at least a paragraph-story of who they are.  Ideally your character should be tied to either the Native Americans or someone else in the party. This will be important to give motivation for why the party stays together, and why they might be willing to pursue the main storyline (which involves Native Americans).

Finally, for Deadlands specifically, you need to invent your character's "Worst Nightmare".  This is legitimately important to help you get into the horror-setting, and is important for getting a feel of what might make your character scared.  I'm sure it has no other impact ;)

See a list of sample character concepts in the next post.

Important Unusual Backgrounds (Arcane and otherwise)
Just calling out some of the more iconic Deadlands Edges.  These are the folks that are part of the weird in the weird west, rather than mundanes.

Veteran o' the Weird West: Character starts as Seasoned (4 advances), but gets a random Major Hindrance.

Federal Agent (Pinkerton):  These are the MIB guys for the USA.
Texas Ranger: These are the MIB guys for the CSA.
Blessed: Holy-type.  High potential, but must avoid sin.
Voodooist: Works like a blessed, but uses voodoo trappings.
Huckster: Magic-user.  Card-based trappings, usual a gambler/city-slicker.
Mad Scientist: Inventor.  Uses crazy devices to do cool things...slowly goes crazy.
Shaman: Native American shaman.  Eschews technology, in favor of spirits.
Chi Master: Asian martial artist, can channel chi to do impressive things.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:39:33 pm by theorel »

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

Concepts
Blessed: Whether a nun, rabbi, or chosen slayer, you are one of humanity’s most powerful weapons against the forces of darkness.

Bounty Hunter: This gun’s for hire. Some folks can evade justice for an awful long time in the lawless frontier towns of the West. Fortunately, you make your grubstake by hunting these varmints down and bringing ‘em in…dead or alive.

Common Folk: Not everyone is a hard-bitten gunslinger, war-weary soldier, or mysterious huckster. You are an ordinary man or woman—perhaps a craftsman, farmer, or trader—who traveled west seeking a new life and a fresh start. Unfortunately, folks like you are often preyed upon by the horrors and outlaws of the Weird West, so you’re sometimes forced to pick up a gun to survive.

Deserter: You’ve seen your fair share of death and misery, and won’t be a party to it anymore. Or maybe you’d rather just shoot the bad folks, rather than the ones who wear a particular uniform. Regardless, you were branded a coward and traitor by the military you left behind, and are likely to be executed if ever captured by your former service.

Drifter: You make a living on odd jobs; more often than not, these odd jobs involve a smoking gun. Good thing you know how to handle one. In any case, you’ve never put down roots in the West, but there isn’t much for you Back East.

Escort: Most often of the feminine persuasion, these “soiled doves” sometimes work a single saloon, and sometimes travel from town to town plying their trade. Though you seem innocent enough, you can hold your own in the roughest boom-towns in the West. With the upswing in independent, prosperous women over the last decade, male escorts have begun to pop up in bigger cities.

Explorer: You’re always looking over the next horizon in search of something new. Though you realize the vast virgin territories of yesteryear are gone forever, you also know that many wonders— and horrors—of the West have yet to be uncovered.

Grifter: You ply your dishonest trade to make a quick buck on the frontier. You’re a snakeoil salesman, a con man who sells worthless elixirs of flavored water and extracts from dubious roots and herbs. Perhaps you search for real “miracle cures,” and finance your quest with ill-gotten gains.

Hucksters: You plumb Hoyle’s Book of Games for the arcane secrets encoded therein. Some say that within this cryptic text are hidden messages detailing ancient incantations and rituals of the black arts. Others believe hucksters are fakes and frauds. Most have never even heard of these secretive sorcerers. Your spiritual brethren, hexslingers, ply their mystical trade with a double-action pistol rather than a deck of cards.

Immigrant: Chinese or Mexican, European or African, you are a stranger in a weird land. You bring new and unusual customs to this land of opportunity, which sometimes leads to your persecution.

Indian Brave: The long Civil War means that neither the USA nor CSA has the will or manpower to subjugate the Sioux Nations or the Coyote Confederation. You are fiercely loyal to your tribe, and once spent your time hunting or patrolling tribal borders. Some braves learn the ways of the white man, while others take up the Old Ways vow.

Indian Shaman: Shamans have many roles in Indian culture, whether serving the spiritual needs of your people, healing and guarding against sickness, or leading in war. It is rare that one shaman fills all these roles for a single tribe, as the duties are usually divided among shamans with specific expertise. Regardless, all understand the importance of fighting the manitous.

Law Dog: The West is a wild frontier, with wilder outlaws. It’s up to you—whether you’re a town marshal, county sheriff, or even federal marshal or Texas Ranger—to keep a lid on the worst of them.

Mad Scientist: You use ghost rock to create infernal devices of steam and steel. Some believe in your genius, others think you mad. Alchemists are mad scientists’ chemical cousins, investing their effort in potions bestowing seemingly magical benefits.

Muckraker: You believe in reporting the truth above all else, no matter who it offends. Yellow journalism is your stock in trade, and you hope to do a little good by lifting the scales from America’s eyes. Unfortunately,
the only organization willing to publish your sometimes wild stories is the Tombstone Epitaph, a notoriously sensational newspaper. The “truth” sometimes requires embellishment to appeal to the skeptical masses. The Epitaph also publishes photographs shot with the incredible Epitaph camera. This camera enables photographers to record images of objects in motion, a feat impossible with mundane cameras. This very success leads many to doubt the authenticity of such photographs, claiming them to be impossible fakes.

Outlaw: Whether a ruthless bank robber, cold-blooded killer, or innocent fugitive on the run, you have a price on your head and the law on your tail. Some outlaws evade pursuit and build new lives, but some crimes are so heinous that the Union, Confederacy, and everyone in between wants to see the outlaw hanged.

Prospector: You know there’s gold in them thar hills—not to mention coal, silver, ghost rock, and a host of other valuable fundaments. You’ve spent your life digging for it, and you spend what little you find on wine, women, and song. Only occasionally do prospectors actually strike it rich. A few hunt even more fantastic treasures, though they are often dismissed as dreamers at best, insane at worst.

Soldier: You bravely serve either the United States or Confederate Army. Whether you fight to preserve the
Union or the Confederate States’ right of self-determination, you lay your life on the line for a cause more important than yourself. Those who excel climb the ranks to command other soldiers.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:20:18 pm by theorel »

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

I'll /in. It's not something I've done in-depth before, but it's right down my alley. Just... Don't be offended if I /lick you.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

While looking around for a spreadsheet character sheet format, I stumbled across this:
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11202
(An excel character generator help-thing)

Which should cover all your character creation needs, has full equipment list, edges and hindrances.  (although it doesn't have stuff from Last Sons, so you'll need the list of edges/hindrances that I provided above).

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

I am strongly considering this, but worried about the time commitment, would we all be logging on at a time to play together or just letting it go on our schedule like mafia and other games? (I would be on board if it were the latter, but not the former.)

I really like this world concept though it's not one I've played before. I have played D&D (advanced->4), Shadowrun, Dungeon Worlds, Dogs in the Vineyard, Mouseguard, Rifts, and a few bastardized/homebrew systems in the past. So I think I could pick it up. I guess there's no rush, as I wouldn't want to play something unless a bunch of people were interested, but you can put me down as a maybe.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

Asynchronous play, a la mafia/board games.  I think it's a closer time commitment to a mafia game than a board game (i.e. your posts are more involved and there is more reading to do).

4-6 players is ideal I think, as with FtF roleplaying.  Too many more and players get lost in the shuffle, fewer than 4 and it's hard to have sufficient interaction to keep things interesting.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

That sounds perfect if we can get 4 players I'm in.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
    • View Profile

Ah, go on, sign me up.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

I haven't read the rules yet, but I just wanted to get the ball rolling on character creation. I want to play a charming grifter, a rascal, likeable, but not someone you'd trust if you didn't have to. I'd ideally like him to be non-white, and since we are playing in a setting surrounding a Native American tribe, I could be of that tribe or maybe half of the tribe since I'd probably be a bit of an outsider. I'd be confident enough to try and trick someone, but not lucky enough for it always to work out. Very smart, but reckless, and inclined to get in over my head. I'd have friends in the area who appreciate my charm, but I'd also have enemies who have been burned by me in the past. I'm not malicious, but I'm selfish, and think I'm smarter than most people. I wouldn't be particularly strong or capable in a fight, but I'd know my way around a pistol, sometimes I probably had to turn to violence in the past to protect myself when things went south.

Presumably I need a reason to have been out of town for a bit and I'd say the most likely reason is that I got in trouble and ducked out for a bit and am only now returning.

Hindrances I am considering (I definitely wouldn't take all of them):
Trouble Magnet
Wanted
Obese
Over Confident
Greedy
Poverty

Edges I am considering:
Card Sharp
Snake Oil Salesman
Gallows Humor
Maybe some mystical stuff, but only to help with cons, so the ability to conjure cards with real magic. Make things disappear without sleight of hand tricks (though I would of course know all the sleight of hand tricks). Making money appear by magic, only for people to find that it disappears a day or two later or turns into a pile of rocks. Pocketing small objects that appear to be well guarded like keys. (This is a section of the rules I haven't read yet so feel free to tell me if this is realistic in this worlds version of magic.)
Luck

These are just some ideas for now, let me know what you think theorel.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

Ah, go on, sign me up.
Glad to have you aboard.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile

I really want to play.  I have very little experience outside of video RPGs though--is that okay?  I can read all the rules, etc.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

@Jorbles: sounds like a solid concept.
One thing that I like about Savage worlds is the way that it handles non-combat characters in combat situations.  Tests of Will (Taunt, Intimidate, and with Snake Oil Salesman Persuasion) to gain bonuses against enemies, potentially causing them to become shaken give a nice alternative to straight combat.  Although, especially in the Weird West, you'll run up against things that aren't so susceptible to such social tricks.

The campaign ranges across a lot of the West, but Native Americans act as a catalyst to get you started.

As for the mystical bit...first I'll note that the ability you describe pretty much lines up with a Huckster-only power called Trinket.  Basically you conjure items out of nothing, but they last a very short time (#rounds=smarts).  Items vary according to the number of power points you use going from a match to a pistol.

A huckster fits into what you've said pretty well (i.e. your described character would make a great huckster), but actually being a hickster might not fit your concept of the character.  So, let me describe Hucksters a bit more, so that you can judge for yourself:

(Warning for people that aren't Jorbles: what follows is stuff that any experienced character would know.  Basically any veteran, or character with an Arcane Background.  However, it is not what the typical populace knows.  If you're hoping to play a character blissfully unaware of the supernatural, it might be best to not even read this bit to maintain your personal naivete)

[paraphrased basic idea:]
Hucksters make bets with unseen spirits for bits of their ethereal power.  When they win, they can cast powerfuls spells, when they lose they pay a heavy price-a little piece of their mind, body, or soul.

To go a bit more in depth on the story-background:
Magic has been around for a while.  Hoyle found a way to harness it, by making deals with some spirits that he called "Jokers".  He encoded those ideas into Hoyle's Book of Cards.  As the book has been rewritten over the years bits of the formulae have been messed up by various editors not knowing what they had, but the basic ideas are still there for someone who can figure out how to look for them.  Hucksters are the folks that can do that.

The Huckster accesses his power through a battle of wits against the spirits, usually visualizing it as a game of poker, though other games work as well (cribbage, mahjongg, etc).  Mechanically it works like other arcane backgrounds, but you have the option to "deal with the devil" for more power.

BUT a warning:
This is the old west, people are superstitious and largely god-fearing.  They don't look kindly on folks that actually practice magic, labeling them witches consequence of which is usually a rope, a short drop, and a sudden stop.  That said, I personally like the idea of a Huckster who hides in plain sight.  He does real magic, but makes it look like "tricks", that any adult would believe to be slight of hand and the like.

Anyways, if you do want to go down that path, I can PM you the details.

I could see this character going either way really.  If you involve magic, you'll probably want to split off some advances and initial skill-points/edges to support it.  It gives you some versatility to grow into, even if initially the character isn't heavily invested into it.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

I really want to play.  I have very little experience outside of video RPGs though--is that okay?  I can read all the rules, etc.

Perfectly fine, all it takes is a willingness to learn.

As far as rules go (this applies to everyone)...try not to get overwhelmed by needing to know all the rules.  I'm a rules-guy (I love reading rule-books), so I will always offer them, but I understand that not everyone is into that.  Feel free to get as in-depth into the rules, or stay as far away from them as you like.  You can narrate your actions, and I can tell you what to roll if you like...or you can try to learn all the rules and know the various tactics available to you.  Before the game starts I'll put together a couple cheat-sheets of various combat options and stuff, to help you understand how to work with the tactical "game-y" side of the game.

For character creation, feel free to just concentrate on a concept, and we'll work out stats from there.  Also, If you want me to take you through the process step-by-step, let me know.  Otherwise, I'm going to assume you want to do it yourself.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

My character will likely have separation issues. In company he'll be quiet, but confident... However he'll start to have a nervous breakdown if he ever finds himself alone. He'll speak clearly, unless he's overly nervous or scared in which case he'll develop a strong lisp.

He has an aversion to guns, which as you can imagine is not easy in this setting. However, back to a wall, life or death, he will use one.

The reasons for his behaviors stem from losing his parents in the civil war and being left alone. He didn't see them shot, but he heard the guns fire and heard the sickening thud as their bodies hit the floor. He was 12 years old at the time. He's blocked out the memories of that time, and the pursuing months as best he can, but gunfire or being left alone bring them flooding back. If the panic attack sets in deep enough he'll be unable to speak coherently, instead stammering out details of his parents death.

When he's comfortable, he's rather charming. He treats those around him as if they are family, and he trusts easily. He's always looking to make friends. He's skilled with his hands and quick on his feet. His frame is on the smaller side, he has long blonde hair that he keeps pulled back, and he's missing his pinky finger on his left hand - though he refuses to tell anybody the truth about what happened to it.

As for game related setup, I haven't looked anything over yet.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile

theo, can you explain a bit more how character creation works?  Do we choose race/class, etc?  Do we choose X number of edges/hindrances?  Is X limited?

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

Savage Worlds is a class-less system.  You pick attributes, skills, and edges and those determine what you can do.  In Deadlands everyone is human, so there's not really any race selection here either.

I'll go through the general character creation steps, with some notes.
Character Creation Steps (These steps really happen in any order):
1) Choose Race: In Deadlands everyone's human.  A human gets 1 Edge for free at character creation.

2) Choose Attributes:  All Attributes start at d4, you have 5 "attribute points" to spend raising them.  Each point raises the attribute one die type.
(another natural way that I tend to view this is, you have 5 attributes at d6, you can lower one of them to raise another one.  It emphasizes that d6 is sort of "average" for an attribute, so in order to be exceptional in one you need to be below average in another) 
Brief Attribute Explanation:
Agility and Smarts have the most linked skills and are used for "tricks" in combat.
Spirit has a few skills, and is used to recover from being shaken.
Strength has only a couple skills and is used to determine melee damage and carrying capacity.
Vigor determined how hard you are to hurt.
Edges often have an attribute requirement.

3) Choose Skills: All skills start untrained, you have 15 "skill points" to spend increasing them.  Spending 1 skill points starts the skill at d4.  If you are raising a skill past the linked attribute it costs 2 skill points.  (so for example, if you have Agility d6 and want Shooting at d10 you would spend 6 skill points as so: 1 to get d4, 1 for d6, 2 for d8, and 2 for d10).

4) Take Hindrances: you can take 1 Major and 2 Minor hindrances.  It's recommended you do so...it fleshes out the character, and gives you additional build points to spend.  Also, one way to earn fate chips is to roleplay your hindrances well.  Minor Hindrances give 1 hindrance point, a Major Hindrance gives 2.

5) Take Edges/Spend Hindrance Points: As a human you get 1 free edge.  You can spend Hindrance points for additional edges or for attributes, skills, and money.  Edges are very much a defining characteristic for characters, two characters with the same attributes/skills but different edges will be very different in practice.  Hindrance Points are spent as follows: Hindrance Points | Benefit
1 | Skill Point
1 | Increase Starting Wealth by starting amount
2 | Attribute Point
2 | Edge

(Note: Each 5 XP you'll get an advance.  An advance works a lot like 2 hindrance points, except with no starting wealth option)

6) Buy Gear.

7) Determine Derived Stats, Backstory and Worst Nightmare.

Google Drive Character Sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQW2_nUk_nKdFAza21HRWdXN3h4SXBTLTJrZ2xnX3c&usp=sharing

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile

Savage Worlds is a class-less system.  You pick attributes, skills, and edges and those determine what you can do.  In Deadlands everyone is human, so there's not really any race selection here either.

I'll go through the general character creation steps, with some notes.
Character Creation Steps (These steps really happen in any order):
1) Choose Race: In Deadlands everyone's human.  A human gets 1 Edge for free at character creation.

2) Choose Attributes:  All Attributes start at d4, you have 5 "attribute points" to spend raising them.  Each point raises the attribute one die type.
(another natural way that I tend to view this is, you have 5 attributes at d6, you can lower one of them to raise another one.  It emphasizes that d6 is sort of "average" for an attribute, so in order to be exceptional in one you need to be below average in another) 
Brief Attribute Explanation:
Agility and Smarts have the most linked skills and are used for "tricks" in combat.
Spirit has a few skills, and is used to recover from being shaken.
Strength has only a couple skills and is used to determine melee damage and carrying capacity.
Vigor determined how hard you are to hurt.
Edges often have an attribute requirement.

3) Choose Skills: All skills start untrained, you have 15 "skill points" to spend increasing them.  Spending 1 skill points starts the skill at d4.  If you are raising a skill past the linked attribute it costs 2 skill points.  (so for example, if you have Agility d6 and want Shooting at d10 you would spend 6 skill points as so: 1 to get d4, 1 for d6, 2 for d8, and 2 for d10).

4) Take Hindrances: you can take 1 Major and 2 Minor hindrances.  It's recommended you do so...it fleshes out the character, and gives you additional build points to spend.  Also, one way to earn fate chips is to roleplay your hindrances well.  Minor Hindrances give 1 hindrance point, a Major Hindrance gives 2.

5) Take Edges/Spend Hindrance Points: As a human you get 1 free edge.  You can spend Hindrance points for additional edges or for attributes, skills, and money.  Edges are very much a defining characteristic for characters, two characters with the same attributes/skills but different edges will be very different in practice.  Hindrance Points are spent as follows: Hindrance Points | Benefit
1 | Skill Point
1 | Increase Starting Wealth by starting amount
2 | Attribute Point
2 | Edge

(Note: Each 5 XP you'll get an advance.  An advance works a lot like 2 hindrance points, except with no starting wealth option)

6) Buy Gear.

7) Determine Derived Stats, Backstory and Worst Nightmare.

Google Drive Character Sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQW2_nUk_nKdFAza21HRWdXN3h4SXBTLTJrZ2xnX3c&usp=sharing

Cool.  I think I get most of it.

No limit on number of skills?  Or do we all have all skills at zero and "choose" our skills by spending skill points?

I saw some edges have skill requirements.  I think I get it.  I'll delve deeper and put some stuff into a post like Jorbles's.

What about the Concepts?  Are those characters that you build from the creation process, or something else I need to/can choose?  (I like the immigrant.)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile

I have a game play question, too.

Will we post in character?  Use third person narration, or first person to interact, or both?  Color code text for in character versus out of character?  Galz and I have our usual mod colors already, so it'd be easy to use here.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
    • View Profile

I'm super in! I love role playing games. I've recently found that I like western too.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

My character will likely have separation issues. In company he'll be quiet, but confident... However he'll start to have a nervous breakdown if he ever finds himself alone. He'll speak clearly, unless he's overly nervous or scared in which case he'll develop a strong lisp.

He has an aversion to guns, which as you can imagine is not easy in this setting. However, back to a wall, life or death, he will use one.

The reasons for his behaviors stem from losing his parents in the civil war and being left alone. He didn't see them shot, but he heard the guns fire and heard the sickening thud as their bodies hit the floor. He was 12 years old at the time. He's blocked out the memories of that time, and the pursuing months as best he can, but gunfire or being left alone bring them flooding back. If the panic attack sets in deep enough he'll be unable to speak coherently, instead stammering out details of his parents death.

When he's comfortable, he's rather charming. He treats those around him as if they are family, and he trusts easily. He's always looking to make friends. He's skilled with his hands and quick on his feet. His frame is on the smaller side, he has long blonde hair that he keeps pulled back, and he's missing his pinky finger on his left hand - though he refuses to tell anybody the truth about what happened to it.

As for game related setup, I haven't looked anything over yet.

One of the fun things about working with first time roleplayers, is that you get much more character-based concepts.  What I mean is: you've written a good amount about who the character is, but very little about what the character does.  Your stats on the character sheet are going to be about what the character can do, while who the character is determines how you play them, interact outside of die rolls, etc.  A roleplaying game is both parts at the same time.  (Veteran roleplayers can often concentrate too much on the other side, which is why I say it's a fun thing about working with someone who hasn't played a lot before, it's refreshing to just have a character.)

Anyways, he sounds like an interesting character, I'm just trying to help channel the creative energies in a direction that will enable turning him into an RPG character.

That said, we should discuss the aversion to guns.  A few things:
1. Is it strictly guns, or does it extend to violence in general?  For example, if your character never fires a gun, but gets in fist-fights, and "brings a knife to a gunfight", that's a very different character to someone who tries to talk his way out of situations, and refuses to hurt people outside of life and death situations.

2. What's his reaction going to be when the people around him start firing guns?  I mean, that's probably going to happen in every combat scene (unless somehow no one in the party takes up firearms), so if you're risking a panic attack or suffering a penalty when surrounded by gunfire, it's going to come up a lot.

Basically, I could see this coming out in game terms in a few different ways, or maybe some combination of them  These are all hindrances that would fit that:
-Phobia (Major): Firearms (specifically drawn/fired weapons - otherwise it'd just be ridiculous, since it would apply 100% of the time).  You suffer a -2 penalty on trait rolls when surrounded by gunfire.  (I think this might just be debilitating...but it feels closest to the concept.  I'm making it a major hindrance due to the fact that it will apply essentially every combat, even though it's the lesser Phobia effect)

-Pacifist (Minor): Only fights in self defense. 
(Major version of pacifist = will not fight living creatures under any circumstances, which is both stronger than your concept and ridiculously hard to pull off)
Maybe with a "trapping" of aversion to firearms.  But it would best apply to all fighting, guns or not.  (I can see this fitting, but it would tweak the concept a little.)

-Quirk (Minor): Goes mute/cannot communicate around drawn (or maybe just after having witnessed firing) firearms.  This kind of hits the "stammering about his parents death" part.  If you were mute around drawn firearms and pacifist, that would be kind of weird.  You couldn't stop the escalation (in fact would contribute to it often by refusing to speak), but it might just result in you getting beaten up rather than killed when you refuse to draw on someone.  However, again, you would probably be unable to communicate during any combat...which can matter at times.

Or maybe something like (for targeting specifically the aversion to using guns):
-Quirt (Minor): Aversion to firearms.  The character tries to avoid using guns.  -1 to Shooting rolls when using one.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

Cool.  I think I get most of it.

No limit on number of skills?  Or do we all have all skills at zero and "choose" our skills by spending skill points?

I saw some edges have skill requirements.  I think I get it.  I'll delve deeper and put some stuff into a post like Jorbles's.

What about the Concepts?  Are those characters that you build from the creation process, or something else I need to/can choose?  (I like the immigrant.)

Concepts are just ideas to help get you started.  A list of character types that are common to the setting to help get creative juices flowing.

All skills start at "zero" = "Untrained".  Which means if you need to roll it, you do so with d4-2, and in certain cases you can't try.  A character untrained in Repair couldn't even try to fix a wagon wheel for example.

I usually narrate in third person, trying to express how the character feels, and letting that stand in for tone of voice, expression, and body language.  (alternatively describing those things when it makes sense).  I like using bold for speech so that it stands out.  I'll use colors to differentiate among NPCs.

It'd be great if people could find character portraits, as those help immensely with picturing each other's characters.  I'll see if I can dig something up with various portraits available.  Having a portrait at the start of each post can help keep people in character also, or make it feel more like you're interacting with the character rather than the player.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

Here is a site with some good portraits (and some not as good)...http://drakonis.org/index?/category/89-cowboy
There's also a Native American category.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14  All

Page created in 3.176 seconds with 19 queries.