Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14  All

Author Topic: [RPG] Deadlands: Reloaded - character creation and coach-ride  (Read 33852 times)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

I'll work to fill out my sheet tonight/tomorrow. Will have lots of free time.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile

*This is an addendum to the response to ashersky's character build...but it's important for everyone.*

Oh, I knew there was another reason I brought up the alternate edges thing.  the Faith skill.

So, there are a few skills in the Test Drive Rules that are marked with an asterisk.  These skills are really just for arcane backgrounds (AB).  If you do not have the arcane background, you will never roll the skill, which makes it a wasted investment.  (There is an exception for weird science, where a mad scientist could give you his device...but I've never seen that happen anyways).

So basically, you should only take Faith if you have the AB (Miracles) (i.e. you're a Blessed, generally Christian).  If you were looking for something to reflect the Native American side of his upbringing, you could take Tribal Medicine (the Arcane Skill for Shamanism).  But it would still be useless without the Arcane Background (though it seems to me like shamanism better fits the concept, as you laid it out).

Anyways, I got distracted by the hindrance points thing, and forgot the skill.

Just FYI for everyone, the arcane skills are as follows:
Miracles (Blessed/Voodooist): Faith (Spirit)
Shamanism: Tribal Medicine (Spirit)
Magic (Hucksters): Spellcasting (Smarts)
Weird Science: Weird Science (Smarts)
Chi Mastery: Each Power (Spirit)

Those skills are almost exclusively for those Arcane Backgrounds.  And really shouldn't be taken unless you're taking the Arcane Background, or possibly if you're planning on taking the Arcane Background in the future.  (Note: The Chi Mastery power-skills CANNOT be taken until the power is taken.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 09:16:25 pm by theorel »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Which one of those works with Hucksterism? Magic: Spellcasting?

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp

I'd really like to play if there's still room.  I've never played a rpg. But always wanted to!
/in
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 06:25:21 pm by spiritbears »
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Also my character is mostly made if you check the sheet, I still want to finalize a few things and write up a description that i'll go with.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

I'd really like to play if there's still room.  I've never played a rpg. But always wanted to!
/in

There's still room...you're in.  I'll get you a character sheet set up.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

Which one of those works with Hucksterism? Magic: Spellcasting?

Yes, sorry...the Huckster Arcane Background is Magic.  I forgot the comment like I included for the Blessed (edited in...).

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

In-Character Introduction
Jeb McKeever looks over your motley crew.  "Howdy, name's Jeb.  This here's my little brother Danny." He points a thumb at the mountain of a man standing next to him, with a gatling shotgun swung over his back.  "We'll be drivin' you lot to Deadwood.  We've got a 7-day ride ahead of us, assumin' nothin' goes wrong."  He takes a step towards the stagecoach behind him, tapping it's metal casing.  "As you can see, this stagecoach ain't exactly yer typical stage.  It's got some fancified ghost-steel armor plates to keep you safe from stray bullets and arrows.  Most trouble comes we'll try an' outrun it, push on to the next way-station for reinforcements.  But, the Wells Fargo company strongly recommends you keep a smoke-wagon with you in the carriage.  If'n things take a turn for the worse, Danny 'n I will appreciate the back-up.  Y'all are headed into Deadwood, so I'll trust you can handle yerself, if it comes to that.  I'll take any questions, then we can head off."  On board the stagecoach you find a copy of the Tombstone Epitaph filling you in on current events.  (viewable here: http://www.peginc.com/freebies/DL_Reloaded/S2P10209PGTheLastSonsPlayersGuide.pdf (pages 4-16 I think...once you see it it should be obvious.  You can look through the other rules and stuff there too, but the "newspaper" bit is the recent flavor history))

(OOC: you'll be starting in the stage coach after some days of journeying together.  In addition to using this thread for pre-game questions and character creation, use it to introduce yourselves to each other, and have some in-character conversation that might fill a few days of stagecoach riding.  Once we get everything wrapped up here we'll start the game with the first point of interest.  During game, I will use bold for speech and italics for Out Of Character(OOC) stuff.  Feel free to fill each other in on any amount of stuff about your character that you'd like to share.  In addition, if you tell a story about your character, see if you can include one of the other player characters in it somehow (assuming it makes sense).  It's nice when characters already know each other/have seen each other around, even if you aren't tied together more significantly.  This is free for experimentation, and is just a way to include some in-character bits in the pre-game chatter.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 07:33:07 am by theorel »

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile

I was looking to work on my character a bit more today, but can't find Chi Master or Shamanism in the list of edges anywhere...I'm using the Savagepedia and the free test drive rules.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

I'm with Ash on intent vs reality here. I had a practice to coach this morning, and after 4 hours in the sun (surprisingly strong), I found myself dehydrated and beat. Hydration was fixed quickly following many glasses of water,  and as for feeling beat... Well, a couple of beers have relaxed me right up! However.... Well, these are strong beers, and I'm in no mind to roll out my character now. Maybe. ;D
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

I was looking to work on my character a bit more today, but can't find Chi Master or Shamanism in the list of edges anywhere...I'm using the Savagepedia and the free test drive rules.
Chi Master and Shamanism are both arcane backgrounds.  So the edge in savagepedia/test drive rules is just Arcane Background.

Basically, the way it works is: you take Arcane Background as an edge, choosing at that time what "flavor" of magical powers you possess.  (The most information they have about this in the Test Drive Rules is under Powers.  I thought there was more in there, but I was mistaken).  I'll try to explain how Arcane Background works basically here.  If you decide on one of the Arcane Backgrounds I'll send you an ~6 page document with more details for that specific background from the Deadlands Reloaded book.

So, for Deadlands, when you take the Arcane Background Edge, you have 5 choices: Miracles, Shamanism, Magic, Weird Science, and Chi Mastery. 
Each of these Arcane Backgrounds works similarly on a basic level.  You get access to "Powers" which are the spells/abilities of all Arcane Backgrounds.  The baseline rules for the powers are the same for all Arcane Backgrounds, but the idea is that you customize the "Trappings" of the power to fit whatever Arcane Background/Spell-effect you're going for.  (see below).  Additionally, each power (generally) has access to "Power Points" which are sort of like the mana you have to cast spells.  And each background has an arcane skill which it uses to cast spells. 

When you want to use a power, you decide what power you want to use and spend the power points to activate it.  Then you roll your arcane skill vs. target number(TN) 4.  If you succeed the power works, if you fail the power doesn't work.  If you get a raise, usually you get some extra benefit.  For targeted spells (like Bolt below), that roll is also your targeting roll (like you were shooting the target, with all relevant penalties/bonuses applied to see if you hit).

So, that's how they're all the same.  But each Arcane Background is also a bit different.  Mostly in this thread I've already talked about the differences.  I'll talk a bit about how the powers are different for each AB here, then provide the quotes where I talk about it earlier in the thread.

So, Bolt for instance is the basic attack power.  It shoots 1-3 magical bolts dealing 2d6-3d6 damage depending on power points spent.  For Trappings, a Mad Scientist might have a "lightning gun" that shoots out lightning.  And trapping-wise, it might require bolts to be fired at different targets within 3" of each other (think lightning arcing from one target to another), but targets wearing lots of metal suffer a -2 to all actions for the next round.

Additionally, not all powers are available to all Arcane Backgrounds.  You can see an easy list of powers available (without effects) here.

The excel file I linked previously has a list of all powers with a brief description of their effect in it.  ([ulr=http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11202]here[/url]'s the link again)

You get some [number of powers] when you take an Arcane Background Edge (explained below).  You can also take the New Power edge to get access to another power, the Power Points edge (once per rank) to get 5 more power points, and the Rapid Recharge/Improved Rapid Recharge edges to recharge power points quicker.  There are other edges available to each of the arcane backgrounds, if someone takes one, I'll fill them in on the specifics.

When you purchase an Arcane Background you get a number of powers dependent on the type.  You also get a different number of power points and some sort of drawback.  You didn't ask about the other 2 things, but here's the basics for Deadlands:
(I'm 90% sure this is correct)
Miracles (i.e. Blessed): have access to all powers, and don't use power points.  Suffer a penalty to casting depending on rank of power being attempted (-2/rank including Novice), and suffer fatigue if they fail.  Must adhere to a rigid moral code, or lose some power temporarily.

Shaman: 2 powers, 10 power points.  Need to perform nightly rituals to appease the spirits.  Can get away with not performing them for a bit if they follow the Old Ways Oath.  Regenerate power points faster under the open sky.

Magic (Huckster): 3 powers, 10 power points.  Shaken with a roll of 1 on the casting die.  Regenerate Powers slowly (1/3 hours).  May Deal with Devil for "free" power points, but that can also come with some drawbacks.

Mad Scientist: 1 power, 20 power points.  Powers are in devices, which means each "New Power" comes with another device with its own power point pool.  Devices explode with a roll of 1 on casting die causing 2d6 damage to anyone in a medium blast template (the device then needs repaired).  Additionally, each time they take the New Power edge they get a random dementia.

Chi Master: 2 powers, 20 power points.  Each power uses its own skill (linked to spirit).

the arcane skills are as follows:
Miracles (Blessed/Voodooist): Faith (Spirit)
Shamanism: Tribal Medicine (Spirit)
Magic (Hucksters): Spellcasting (Smarts)
Weird Science: Weird Science (Smarts)
Chi Mastery: Each Power (Spirit)

Those skills are almost exclusively for those Arcane Backgrounds.  And really shouldn't be taken unless you're taking the Arcane Background, or possibly if you're planning on taking the Arcane Background in the future.  (Note: The Chi Mastery power-skills CANNOT be taken until the power is taken.)

Anyways, hopefully that should be enough to know if you want to take an Arcane Background.  You can only take 1 Arcane Background (it's one edge).  So, if you do decide you want to take one, I can send you the information for that specific background (~8 pages in the book, I'll pull the text and it will be ~6 pages in word probably).

If you do need more information first let me know (or if anything is unclear above...which is likely).

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

I'm with Ash on intent vs reality here. I had a practice to coach this morning, and after 4 hours in the sun (surprisingly strong), I found myself dehydrated and beat. Hydration was fixed quickly following many glasses of water,  and as for feeling beat... Well, a couple of beers have relaxed me right up! However.... Well, these are strong beers, and I'm in no mind to roll out my character now. Maybe. ;D

That's fine.  Ideally I'd like to get the game started sometime next week.  Hopefully having a brief well-defined in-character pre-game here will keep people from getting too antsy.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile

Can you send me the Arcane Backgrounds doc?  I'm leaning Chi Master.  It is related to Spirit, which I have due to Beast Master.

I will move my Faith skill points elsewhere.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

I'm confused...Tribal Medicine (i.e. shamanism) is also linked to Spirit.

Mechanically the difference is that shamans have to perform nightly rituals, while Chi Masters have to learn a new skill for each power, and have the Martial Arts Edge.

I'll just send the specifics of both.

EDIT: I need your e-mail to send you the file.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:43:19 am by theorel »

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
    • View Profile

Allright, I guess I'll need some help with the details of my character's background, since I'm not really familiar with the setting, and I'm not very good at American geography. But here are the basics.

Cliff Davidsson

Cliff was born and raised somewhere in Virgina. He had a pretty unexciting upbringing. Both his parents were workers who did their job. Cliff also had an older sister, that he was very fond of, who died while giving birth a few years ago. His sisters husband committed suicide a few months later. This has caused Cliff to not only back away from romantic relationships, but almost fear them. Knowing that he cannot truly commit to a marriage without the fear of hurting his wife physically, and therefore he is afraid he would hurt her mentally as well.

For a few years now Cliff has worked with an entrepreneur who said he would help him start up a small business. After the entrepreneur dissappeared with almost all of his money, he sold whatever he had left, bought a train ticket to the west side of the country to try his luck as a prospector. The betrayal of his companion have left him pretty untrusting when it comes to people. So far he hasn't struck anything good in his search for riches, and he's starting to feel pretty down. He is sure not to show any of it, though, as he tries to be as positive as possible. When he's had too much to drink, his miserable side tends to come out to it's fullest, though.

To summarise, Cliff tries to be a positive person, but he has had some set-backs which he tries to suppress. He doesn't really want to share his true feelings much.

I'll try to see if I can get some points and stuff to my character sheet.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile

I'm confused...Tribal Medicine (i.e. shamanism) is also linked to Spirit.

Mechanically the difference is that shamans have to perform nightly rituals, while Chi Masters have to learn a new skill for each power, and have the Martial Arts Edge.

I'll just send the specifics of both.

EDIT: I need your e-mail to send you the file.

I like the Chi flavor better.

My email is a link from my profile.  I'll send it to you anyway.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

Ah, I didn't think about checking profiles.

\

I like the Chi flavor better.

That's the best reason to choose one over the other anyways...

I'll send just the Chi Master stuff.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

Allright, I guess I'll need some help with the details of my character's background, since I'm not really familiar with the setting, and I'm not very good at American geography. But here are the basics.

Cliff Davidsson

Cliff was born and raised somewhere in Virgina. He had a pretty unexciting upbringing. Both his parents were workers who did their job. Cliff also had an older sister, that he was very fond of, who died while giving birth a few years ago. His sisters husband committed suicide a few months later. This has caused Cliff to not only back away from romantic relationships, but almost fear them. Knowing that he cannot truly commit to a marriage without the fear of hurting his wife physically, and therefore he is afraid he would hurt her mentally as well.

For a few years now Cliff has worked with an entrepreneur who said he would help him start up a small business. After the entrepreneur dissappeared with almost all of his money, he sold whatever he had left, bought a train ticket to the west side of the country to try his luck as a prospector. The betrayal of his companion have left him pretty untrusting when it comes to people. So far he hasn't struck anything good in his search for riches, and he's starting to feel pretty down. He is sure not to show any of it, though, as he tries to be as positive as possible. When he's had too much to drink, his miserable side tends to come out to it's fullest, though.

To summarise, Cliff tries to be a positive person, but he has had some set-backs which he tries to suppress. He doesn't really want to share his true feelings much.

I'll try to see if I can get some points and stuff to my character sheet.

I kept meaning to get to this today and getting distracted, sorry  :-[.

Anyways, This sounds like a good back-story.  What sort of details are you looking for? 

Since you mentioned geography, prospecting could be done in lots of places.  Colorado and California are some of the biggest prospecting places...depending on how far traveled you want your character to be.  He might be headed to Deadwood to try his luck around those parts (with so much Ghost Rock being found there), in which case I would suggest Colorado, since Deadwood would probably be a step down from California, or at least a step sideways.

I'm not sure what else you would like to fill in.  The story already gels pretty well with the setting (although it does ignore the civil war which has been a pretty big presence over the last 15 years.  Virginia's a major part of the confederacy, and a border state.)  If your parents were in Virginia they probably worked with agriculture.  If they avoided the war, they were probably skilled labor (I think that that would make them less likely to become soldiers).  Smith, Carpenter, etc.  Your character may just not have been infatuated with the life of a soldier, got caught up in the entrepreneur thing, headed a little ways west, and so avoided the war effort.  Anyways, you can avoid it pretty well if you want to.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile

Attributes:
Agility - d8
Strength - d6
Smarts - d4
Spirit - d8
Vigor - d4

Skills:
Faith: d8 (3 point)
Fighting: d8 (3 points)
Notice: d4 (1 point)
Riding: d4 (1 point)
Stealth: d8 (3 points)
Survival: d6 (3 points)
Tracking: d4 (1 point)

Hindrances:
Major - Blind
Minor - Loyal, Enemy

Edges:
Arcane Background*
Beast Master
Martial Artist

I updated my edges above, but I can't find out if there is an attributes requirement to go along with Martial Artist (savagepedia doesn't list requirements and Martial Artist isn't in the free book).

I still have either another edge or I can add to attributes if needed.

Looking forward, is Blind Fighting going to be available, or is that out because it is from The Flood Plot Point Campaign?  Chi Focus is from that campaign and is a novice edge.

I was also thinking about Superior Kung Fu, if I could find a style that helps counter the missing all the time thing.

When we say -6 on all attacks that require sight, how does that work?  Is that -6 from the Fighting Role (that is, if I roll an 8, I get a 2, so I miss because it is less than 4?)?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
    • View Profile

Since you mentioned geography, prospecting could be done in lots of places.  Colorado and California are some of the biggest prospecting places...depending on how far traveled you want your character to be.  He might be headed to Deadwood to try his luck around those parts (with so much Ghost Rock being found there), in which case I would suggest Colorado, since Deadwood would probably be a step down from California, or at least a step sideways.

Colorado sounds really good. After half a year in Colorado without much luck Cliff has decided to head over to Deadwood. He is getting a bit desperate for something at this point. With not much money left in his pocket.

I'm not sure what else you would like to fill in.  The story already gels pretty well with the setting (although it does ignore the civil war which has been a pretty big presence over the last 15 years.  Virginia's a major part of the confederacy, and a border state.)  If your parents were in Virginia they probably worked with agriculture.  If they avoided the war, they were probably skilled labor (I think that that would make them less likely to become soldiers).  Smith, Carpenter, etc.  Your character may just not have been infatuated with the life of a soldier, got caught up in the entrepreneur thing, headed a little ways west, and so avoided the war effort.  Anyways, you can avoid it pretty well if you want to.

Cliff didn't take part in the war. The entrepreneur thing took most of his time, and he wanted to devote his life to it. His parents on the other hand did partake in the war. His father died, or at least was missing from his squad, but his mother got away unscathed. Because the war is over, right?

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

Attributes:
Agility - d8
Strength - d6
Smarts - d4
Spirit - d8
Vigor - d4

Skills:
Faith: d8 (3 point)
Fighting: d8 (3 points)
Notice: d4 (1 point)
Riding: d4 (1 point)
Stealth: d8 (3 points)
Survival: d6 (3 points)
Tracking: d4 (1 point)

Hindrances:
Major - Blind
Minor - Loyal, Enemy

Edges:
Arcane Background*
Beast Master
Martial Artist

I updated my edges above, but I can't find out if there is an attributes requirement to go along with Martial Artist (savagepedia doesn't list requirements and Martial Artist isn't in the free book).

I still have either another edge or I can add to attributes if needed.

Looking forward, is Blind Fighting going to be available, or is that out because it is from The Flood Plot Point Campaign?  Chi Focus is from that campaign and is a novice edge.

I was also thinking about Superior Kung Fu, if I could find a style that helps counter the missing all the time thing.

When we say -6 on all attacks that require sight, how does that work?  Is that -6 from the Fighting Role (that is, if I roll an 8, I get a 2, so I miss because it is less than 4?)?

Martial Artist just requires Fighting d6, so you're good there.
Blind Fighting is available.  Other than being Seasoned, it requires Fighting d8 and Notice d10.

Yes, the -6 works as you said.  Except you're not rolling against 4, you're rolling against the target's parry.  However, you could have other bonuses that can improve on it, so that you're not always rolling at -6.  Also, you never need to worry about lighting penalties :).
One note though: in Savage Worlds, dice "ace".  Meaning that when you roll the highest number on the die, you reroll and add the result.  So, if you rolled an 8 on your fighting die, you would reroll and add the second roll to 8.  With blindness basically you'll need to ace the die, and then you'll be rolling like a character that wasn't blind.

Some other options to use/things to consider:
Taunting/Intimidating your opponent: this grants you a +2 on your next action against them, and does not require sight.  So, you can taunt/intimidate to get down to essentially a -4 penalty.  (although it would require investing in those skills).

Tricks: Agility tricks and Smarts tricks can be used to reduce your opponent's parry by 2 until their next action.  If you can think of tricks that don't depend on sight, again you could work on getting your opponent's defenses down before attacking.

Gang-up: One benefit of your animal companion, is that whenever you're both attacking the same opponent you both get a +1 to your fighting rolls.

Powers: Pick out some powers that don't need sight, and use them to contribute to the fight rather than fighting.  You can stick by your animal companion and provide him/her with bonuses while using other means to attack/assist in the fight.

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp

Hi everyone
Just so you all know,  I am disabled and have a very difficult time time typing.  My writing can be hard to read sometimes esrulesger passages. I'm doing my best to make it more readable, but please be patient with me (I know I don't always deserve your patience). Im working with some other programs to help me with longer passages and so if I don't get back to you right away. It's not cause I'm ignoring you

I'm working on making it more readable

Anyway. I have been working on my backstory for a few days and this is what I have.  Ibwikk need help with the dice rolling concepts and rukes since this is ny first rpg game

Bob is the son of the prophet and president Brigham Young and mother Sari Sixkiller, a Pueblo Indian from red rocks country near Chaco Canyon. Although Sari converted and married Brother Brigham after becoming pregnant, she quickly returned to her Tribe. bob, not so lucky was kidnapped by Brighams men and raised by the prophets 5th wife.  He did not learn about his culture until the differences between him and his siblings became too great.  He was 16 when he began having visions about his ancestors that he couldn't explain. 

Although bob quickly rose up the ranks of the Danonites, a secret society whose purpose was to safeguard Brighams scientists at Hellstorm Industries and the deadly technology they were developing (which rumor had it were actually developed on the planet Kolob). Bob became a skilled assassin and quickly rose up the Danonite ranks. But his exposure to the dark arts Brigham's scientists were developing triggered strong visions of his ancestors and he soon realized he had mystic powers he could not explain:  primarily, although he killed people as his job, he found he could unexpectedly heal the wounded through touch. 

By 20, Bob was overcome with a desire to find out about his ancestors and because she had grown afraid of him, his (fake) mother told him what she knew. Bob soon asked for transfer to the four corners agency where he became the Indian agent and miraculously learned be had an unexplainable language ability, learning his family's language in just a few weeks.

One day he was ordered to ride out and kill a medicine man (shaman) that the Danonites feared was organising an insurrection within the Utah Territoires. But, instead of killing the old shaman, bob spared him and in return he learned the truth about his parents, his kidnapping and how the Danonites had recently murdered his real mother on orders from his father.

Bob vowed revenge. But the shaman urged him to put it away and instead trained him in the his peoples shamanistic traditions: healing and traveling in the spirit world to gain secret knowledge and gain advantages during hunting and battles. 

But some aspects of bob's Danonite training continued to interfere with his shaman powers. Bob suffered bouts of confusion due to the mind control Danonite practiced.  At The most inopportune times this causes him to feel guilt and shame...especially when he finds himself in the presence of Hellstorm agents. This became even more problematic when Brigham Young issued orders for bob to "come in." Bob ran. And now is wanted in all of the Utah territories and is constantly at risk of danonite "retrieval.". Bob now lives in constant fear...both legitimate and imagined. 

Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

As you're working on the stats-side of the character, and determining edges.  You have two possibilities regarding the magical healing:
1. It's just an aspect of the shamanism, which showed through even before he started training.

2. There's an edge called "Knack" which is a situation where your character is a bit of "folklore" come true (regarding when/how you were born).  In particular, one of the options is to have been a Breech Birth.  The folklore is that a baby born breech has the uncanny ability to heal injuries.  Mechanically, you can spend a fate chip to use the Greater Healing power without rolling, but getting 1 automatic success.  Greater healing can heal wounds, permanent injuries, poison, etc.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Alright here's my character background. Let me know what you think.

Jimmy Twocards has always been a bit of a problem round these parts. Born Runs-with-Falling-Rocks to a Native American mother and an unknown white soldier he was raised in a nearby cabin until his mother died giving birth to his brother, who also died. At the age of 7 he moved to the streets of Deadwood after a disagreement with the only relatives who were willing to take him in, his brutal uncle. Thoroughly disowned he found his way on the streets. Hustling, doing oddjobs and gambling his way into adulthood. He took on a new name that better suited his living style than Runs-With-Falling-Rocks, although metaphorically his life has always seemed a bit like running just ahead of an avalanche.

Jimmy learned fast from local drifters and grifters, picking up cons like a fish to water. One of these conmen told him to take a look at Hoyle's Book of Games and taught him to read it. He did, and though he doesn't really understand how it works he's picked up some tricks that help him with his grifts that others don't know about. He thinks of these tricks as local native spirits that will let him cut a deal with them, his only real connection to his ancestry aside from his appearance. Six years ago he struck out on his own a scrawny street kid bound for San Francisco where anyone can make a name for himself.

There sharking at cards, selling prospectors worthless plots, and picking the odd pocket he made a living until he got chased out of town and moved to San Antonio where he did the same thing, and then again in Houston. The life took to him and he packed on some pounds, he grew soft and fat, his weight made people think him harmless so it was a bit of an advantage, besides Jimmy always liked the feeling of a full belly.

In Houston Jimmy finally had the chance to make a big score and bilked a railway baron's foolish nephew out of a fortune, but he was in over his head and hadn't counted on him to run to his uncle for help so quickly. The money stashed in a chest near the crook of an old river bend only Jimmy knows about he's decided to go to ground. Maybe if he can hide out just long enough he can go back some day and find his money, but the railway baron has a price on his head and Jimmy can only assume there are bounty hunters on his tail.

He's returning to the only place that he might be able to get some help. Or at least to hide out, Deadwood, his hometown. He never liked it much, but he knows it. Hopefully if he can grow his patchy facial hair out enough, keep a hat on low over his face, and keep out of trouble, he can hide out long enough to go back and find his fortune. Too bad trouble always seems to follow him around.

As you may have guessed I'm taking the Hindrances: Wanted (major), Obese, and Greedy. Edges I'm taking are Snake-oil Salesman, Cardsharp and Arcane Background (Huckster).

I was thinking I may have offered to show someone around town a bit for some money on the stage coach if anyone thinks their character would have been looking for something like that? I'll assume that anyone on my trail isn't in the stage coach with me so I'm feeling comfortable for the moment.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:23:30 am by Jorbles »

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile

Only the posse will be on the stagecoach.  (and the driver/shotgunner)  It's not over-booked.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.