Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14  All

Author Topic: [RPG] Deadlands: Reloaded - character creation and coach-ride  (Read 34340 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: [RPG] Deadlands: Reloaded - character creation and coach-ride
« Reply #300 on: May 19, 2013, 03:32:33 pm »

Hmm. I just realised that there is one thing I want to at least have said before it becomes a real issue. I prefer not planning stuff out of character, as it helps getting in character and also makes it more "real". I'm not going to quit just because you want to. But I would like all players and theorel to come to an agreement whether we are allowed to plan out of character or not.

I actually like this idea, but since we hadn't discussed it before I was defaulting to the "polite" option.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 19, 2013, 03:43:24 pm »

Yeah. There are some new players in the game as well. And that's something that should be taken into consideration.

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 20, 2013, 07:22:02 am »

I was waiting to see if spiritbears ended up with access during his VLA, and then I was out all weekend.  New house has resulted in new online timings, and in particular I'm not on during evenings any more (at least so far), which means I'm not on during weekends.

Regarding OOC planning...I tend to prefer not to have it.  This was minor enough I wasn't too fussed.  But then, I suppose Jorbles should consider if he's wanting to call Grant out because he knows he's a melee character, or because it's something Jimmy would do.  Meta-gaming happens, and I'm not going to try to stamp it out.  I'll just request that everyone try to be cognizant of it, and avoid it when possible.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 20, 2013, 09:42:05 am »

I didn't really think about meta-gaming. I think it's because I mainly play with a group of characters that's been a gang for something like three or four in game years, so we've learnt to use our different strengths in different situations. I'll try to avoid it as much as I can, though.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 20, 2013, 10:16:40 am »

Yeah, part of the reason I didn't comment on it initially was because I wasn't sure of what to say.  I think I have a better idea now.

Basically, OOC Planning really falls under the broader category of meta-gaming.  Ideally, you're only using in-character information to plan character actions.  I don't really want to try to determine what information your character would have, and what qualifies as in-character vs. out-of-character info.  Maybe Jimmy noticed that Grant didn't have a gun, and would call him out for that reason.  And to some extent it's good for you guys to talk about in-game stuff here, that's part of what this thread is for.  As he said, he was defaulting to "polite" which isn't a bad idea given that we all don't know each other as well as a face-to-face group probably does.

So, all that said, I'm not going to enforce any sort of "no metagaming" stance.  If it seems to me like it's getting out of hand at any point, I'll PM that player specifically and point it out.  Otherwise, I'll just ask you guys to self-enforce.  Try not to meta-game.  Try to stick to what you think your character would know.  But also don't feel like you can't talk about things here for fear of violating in-game knowledge.  Just do your best to stick with what seems reasonable to you.

Is everybody okay with that?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 20, 2013, 10:29:24 am »

Sounds good to me.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 22, 2013, 08:04:34 am »

@Jorbles:
Okay, so here's the plan for Dealing with the Devil.

I sent you access to a Google Docs called "Jimmy'sDeck" which is a deck of cards spreadsheet.
On that spreadsheet, you type in the Name of the Power you wish to use.  Once you finish typing it, it should re-randomize and thus generate a hand of cards.  Then you make the best hand you can with those cards, and just type the result over here (or the whole hand if you like).  I can use the spreadsheet to verify, and I have access to the edit history, so that should result in an easy, verifiable source of poker hands.

I also put the value of hands table on there...so you can determine quickly the results of the poker hand.

Currently you're novice, so you draw 6 cards.

Anyways, I think that should work (it works for me), let me know if there's a problem.

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp
« Reply #307 on: May 22, 2013, 10:53:26 am »

I'm ok with that Theorel...but I'm not sure I really understand what meta-gaming really means. I'm fine with you letting us us know if we are doing something wrong.
Ps. Thank you for the roll help. I'm back at home now with good internet again.
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 22, 2013, 11:11:27 am »

It's basically doing stuff you think is optimal without your character doing so. Or knowing stuff because you do, while your character don't.

So just try to stay in character and it should be fine. :)

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 22, 2013, 11:21:29 am »

It's basically doing stuff you think is optimal without your character doing so. Or knowing stuff because you do, while your character don't.

So just try to stay in character and it should be fine. :)
Thank you. That makes sense
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 22, 2013, 03:38:36 pm »

I'll get to this in a few hours.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 22, 2013, 04:18:02 pm »

My attacks were really 0, 0, -1, -2? Bwahaha. I'm so useful. And that's BEFORE the guns start firing.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 22, 2013, 04:26:36 pm »

My attacks were really 0, 0, -1, -2? Bwahaha. I'm so useful. And that's BEFORE the guns start firing.

Haha, we're all pretty effective right now. I managed to use two of my fate chips, get wounded, shaken and hide under a wagon.

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 23, 2013, 09:24:27 am »

Sorry Theo. I typed in a response to have Jeb shoot Outlaw 1, but I see my phone shut down before it posted. My appoligies...

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 23, 2013, 11:38:15 am »

At least the Outlaws seem to be about as useless as we're all being.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 23, 2013, 11:43:50 am »

At least the Outlaws seem to be about as useless as we're all being.
Yes! Thank god!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 23, 2013, 11:48:39 am »

Seeing as I don't really have time for this right now and I don't want to make this drag along too much I'm letting you guys control Cliff during this fight for now. He'll most likely stay in the coach, using it as cover shooting at people he can see.

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 23, 2013, 01:04:21 pm »

Is being intimidated bad enough that Is want to spend a fate chip? What happens if I'm intimidated?

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 23, 2013, 01:08:08 pm »

He gets a +2 on his next action against you.  (Had he beaten you by 4 you would be shaken).

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 23, 2013, 02:54:22 pm »

He gets a +2 on his next action against you.  (Had he beaten you by 4 you would be shaken).
Well that doesn't sound horrible so maybe I'll. Hold onto it.  How often do we earn these chips?

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 23, 2013, 03:31:52 pm »

I'll shoot for maybe 2-3 a "session".  You get them primarily for roleplaying your hindrances.  Or when your hindrances have a significant impact.  But also just as needed to get the right feel.  My goal is to keep the game reasonably dangerous without it being too brutal, and to reward things that positively impact the game.

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 23, 2013, 04:38:26 pm »

I'll shoot for maybe 2-3 a "session".  You get them primarily for roleplaying your hindrances.  Or when your hindrances have a significant impact.  But also just as needed to get the right feel.  My goal is to keep the game reasonably dangerous without it being too brutal, and to reward things that positively impact the game.
Oh! That's cool!  Not what I imagined! I'm glad I asked

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 27, 2013, 12:40:10 pm »

This is kindof a bigger rules question so I thought I'd ask it here. If we "hold" our turn in combat can we "interrupt" another character's turn? For instance if someone had held their turn when Sam popped out of cover to shoot at Bob could they have taken an uncovered shot at Sam before he returned to the dust cloud?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 27, 2013, 07:13:34 pm »

Things have slowed down at work, and I've been able to get a bit more sleep. I should be able to pilot Cliff from now on.

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 27, 2013, 07:27:57 pm »

Thatsba good question Jorbles. Also, is there any reason for me to use tribal medicine to heal instead of soaking? I feel like I still domtbhave a hang of soaking/healing yet. But I imagine the more we fight the more I'll get used robot. Also, since Sam was hit, am I still taking 21 damage???
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14  All

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 15 queries.