Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Young Witch on the second page  (Read 9415 times)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
Re: Young Witch on the second page
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 11:05:00 am »

I think they said they're working on a more flexible UIthat will actually use the whole screen and fix the second page problem. Don't remember where that was though.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 11:11:15 am »
+4

I think I've said this before, but the unofficial iOS version of Dominion had basic cards on one page and Kingdom cards on another, and you pushed a button to move between them. You had to traverse both pages in every game, so you'd never forget it was there. It's a great solution for phones and tablets, where tapping an icon is no big deal.

For players with computers, it would be annoying to have to click the icon. Solution: have a keyboard shortcut that switches the pages. I'd like to see more keyboard shortcuts in general. One of the first things I suggested to Goko was to have a key you could press to simultaneously expand and collapse the info for the other players. It gets really annoying clicking each little portrait by hand, especially when it's their turn and the portraits are moving targets.

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 12:54:07 pm »

I'd like to see more keyboard shortcuts in general.

+9001

Wait, I just noticed you said "more"...are there already some keyboard shortcuts I don't know about?
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 12:55:13 pm »
+1

+9001

Wait, I just noticed you said "more"...are there already some keyboard shortcuts I don't know about?
alt+f4

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 01:00:32 pm »

+9001

alt+f4

My Mac is immune to your trickery!

Reminds me of a redditor with a troll name, press-control-w
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 06:44:28 pm »

Problem is, it's fine to say make the icons smaller when you are playing on a 22" widescreen monitor (like I do at home) but maybe not so fine when you are playing on an iPhone.  I can see where making the icons smaller to fit more on could make the iPhone version unplayable.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2013, 06:48:38 pm »
+4

Problem is, it's fine to say make the icons smaller when you are playing on a 22" widescreen monitor (like I do at home) but maybe not so fine when you are playing on an iPhone.  I can see where making the icons smaller to fit more on could make the iPhone version unplayable.

Use pages where necessary.  Use pages on the iPhone.  But it's kind of ridiculous to force the same layout on every machine.  When you have a larger screen, why not make use of the extra real estate?

For mobile devices, they could save room by offering a no-images option.  Androminion got by just fine with a single screen, AND it includes a log.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2013, 04:49:48 pm »

Then dont play Goko. What good will it do? I think its time to accept that Iso is gone.

Is anyone even talking about Iso? The way this issue has been presented it sounds like it's a problem for people who have only played on Goko. What is anyone harming by bringing up a problem with the UI design?
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 04:52:51 am »

Use pages where necessary.  Use pages on the iPhone.  But it's kind of ridiculous to force the same layout on every machine.  When you have a larger screen, why not make use of the extra real estate?

For mobile devices, they could save room by offering a no-images option.  Androminion got by just fine with a single screen, AND it includes a log.
I'd like to second that. It is kind of annoying that goko only uses about a third of the available space on a 1080p display.
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 10:58:53 am »
+1

Is having two pages really that big of a problem?

Absolutely, yes. Aside from the fact that it leads to actual issues such as people not knowing what cards are available in the Kingdom and having to page back and forth to get to the piles you want to look at; it also displays a huge lack of planning by Goko to think about their interface before implementing it. It shows that they weren't thinking very much about how the game of Dominion is actually played, either in real life or online. It's terrible from a user interface perspective, a Dominion perspective, and a programming perspective.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:00:15 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 10:59:07 pm »
+1

I feel like the UI options that are available are not obvious at all. For example, there's that tiny blue arrow you use to flip to the next set of cards in your discard pile when using cards like scavenger or counting house. That should be more obvious. I remember a thread about the annoyance of not knowing what all the knights do when knights are in the kingdom, but there's that small click-able box that displays all the differently named cards in the kingdom.

For me, I didn't find it fair to have to learn the hard way that your cards get played if you click on them through the chat dialog box. I just wanted to focus my cursor on it. It makes sense for the chat to work like that, since it can pop up at any moment in the middle of your turn, but having the chat box be far away from your hand is something I'd personally like to see. I suppose it's not that hard to adapt to the Goko's UI after playing enough games, but it can be really discouraging when that kind of stuff happens the first few times.

I'm thankful that Goko has worked out so many of its old issues, but there's always room for improvement and I think it's important for us, the users of the product and avid players of Dominion, to speak up about implementation problems and counter-intuitive design.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.764 seconds with 22 queries.