Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Just How Good is Rebuild?  (Read 1061 times)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Just How Good is Rebuild?
« on: July 05, 2013, 04:49:38 pm »
+2

I cringe in fear whenever I see rebuild on the board.  As a relatively new (Goko) and somewhat infrequent player, my experience with the card is limited.  When playing against players of similar rank, I already feel at a disadvantage due to my lack of experience in playing the mirror.  As a consequence, in some of my games against it, I have decided to try alternate paths to victory.

Game 1

Key Cards - Rebuild, Sage / Fool's Gold, Chapel, Cultist, Mandarin

My opponent makes a few mistakes (mainly buying Great Hall's instead of Sage) but the quick build up and consistency of Fool's Gold/Cultist makes quick work of Provinces while bloating my opponents deck.  The Mandarin allows top-decking of 2 Fool's Gold for endgame play.

Game 2

Key Cards - Rebuild, Moneylender, Thief / Chapel, Treasure Map, Storeroom

My opponent goes for Rebuild using Moneylender to both thin deck and purchase Rebuilds.  The Thief is picked up in response to my going for Treasure Maps.  By golly this was a tense game.  I could hardly believe how fast Rebuild chunked through the VP piles.  My opponent managed to gain a single Gold from me in his one Thief play post Treasure Map trashing.  Storeroom really is the key card here.  A play of Storeroom means I only need 2 Gold from 6 cards to guarantee Province.  Without this card I don't think it could have beat Rebuild.

Game 3

Key Cards - Rebuild, Cellar / Tactician, Noble Brigand, Rebuild

I go into this game planning on Rebuild.  Unfortunate draws of $4/$4/$4/$4 on turns 3, 4, 5, and 6 combined with every Noble Brigand buy/play missing Silver make the mirror impossible and I flounder around with Tactician.

Game 4

Key Cards - Rebuild, Sage, Warehouse / Forager, Highway, Moneylender

This is a really good Rebuild board but I go for the Forgarer/Highway combo.  In hindsight, this wasn't the best choice.  There is no net gain +draw available and the only +Buy is Forager which needs fodder.  Once greening starts, it's going to crash and burn.  Perhaps I could have tried something cute like get 4 Highways and try to buy out the Duchies, then transition into Rebuild for the last Provinces, I dunno.  This was an interesting game regardless of the outcome. 

Game 5

Key Cards - Rebuild / Throne Room, Market, Steward, Goons

So Rebuild clearly isn't the best choice here but it highlights a key aspect of playing against Rebuild.  When the non-Rebuild player doesn't need to compete for Provinces, they have a huge advantage as they can have more available turns in which to build their engine and gain points. 

So my take-away thoughts from these game are that Rebuild is really really good.  Even without much support, it can define a match and give an exceptionally fast baseline that other strategies must compete against.  Give it some good support and it is even more intimidating.  But it is not unbeatable.  Perhaps that's what makes dominion such a great game.  A great card like Rebuild though good, is not game-breaking.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Just How Good is Rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 05:10:40 pm »
+1

oh hey, that's me in the last game. I saw rebuild and was like "oh, I hear that's good!" and so blindly went for it. I thought it wouldn't care about goons discarding because the only card I need is rebuild, but I mean, goons engine is way better for sure.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 02:22:35 am »

Rebuild looks dominant to me in all but the last game.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 05:38:39 am »
+1

Rebuild is good against almost any strategy, as long the other strategy has to buy provinces. With VP chips, vineyards or maybe also fairgrounds available, Rebuild loses one of his strenghts. Lots of people say this card is overpowered, but maybe you cannot counter this card how you counter other powercombos/cards, it's just thinking in an other way. Apart from mass flooding or deck trashing, Rebuild is quite imune against attacks (similar to Jack), but the real weaknesses are things like alternate VPs (also Colonies) and Shelters. And it' not that that easy to play it unlike DoubleJack.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.494 seconds with 21 queries.