Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 46405 times)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2014, 12:00:18 pm »

I didn't mean it like, let's be a team that plays regularly, but like a one time thing. If it's fun we could try it out again.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2014, 02:43:16 pm »

First match was pretty good, but due to peer pressure I'm heading out to watch less interesting sports now. Good thing there's a liveticker.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 08, 2014, 03:22:55 pm »

I didn't catch the first game of the first match. But the second game was pretty good.

Watching less interesting sports sounds unfun. I'll be sitting at home watching e-athletes duke it out!

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2014, 06:15:38 pm »

digital sports are best sports.

Anyhow yeah I'd be interested in some sort of meet up to beat each other up or to beat others up together.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2014, 02:36:34 am »

Ti4 is also on watchespn! Hooray for esports!

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2014, 04:43:28 pm »
+1

Just picked this up about 2-3 days ago. And I can already tell how addictive this is going to be. Played a few matches against bots and trying out some of the different heroes (Warlock is one of my favorites). I'm open to playing with anyone willing to suffer a total noob. And I'm very much open to advice or any tips that you have. With the number of heroes and strategies--this is going to keep me busy for a long time (probably forever).

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 21, 2014, 02:17:51 am »
+1

I'll gladly play with you. I was completely new to the game a couple of months ago too. And playing with people that wasn't just random was what kept me from doing what I did when I tried DotA Allstars out back in the WCIII days. Play two games, then decide that it's too difficult to learn and people yell at you.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2014, 02:50:53 am »

I'll gladly play with you. I was completely new to the game a couple of months ago too. And playing with people that wasn't just random was what kept me from doing what I did when I tried DotA Allstars out back in the WCIII days. Play two games, then decide that it's too difficult to learn and people yell at you.
Thanks! I'd definitely be down for that.
So far, I've only played bots because I'm afraid of exactly that--messing up and getting raged at which would kind of ruin my experience. The more I watch videos, read guides, and play-- I'm reaching more of that "know what you don't know" point I think. I really want to get good at it, but I feel like playing pub matches with random people is not something I'm terribly up for at this point (at least not all by myself). Bots are ok, but they don't seem to represent playing with other humans that well (which is kind of expected I guess).

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 21, 2014, 03:06:23 am »

I've been raged on a couple of times. Even though I don't consider myself the best of players, but I get the feeling that most of the angry players are either not as good as they think they are, or they are for some reason matched up with people that they think should be better. My point is that most of the time, people will rage at you for stuff you cannot do anything about. So generally, you should just shrug any rage off.

Also, once you unlock ranked play, there's MMR on the line and people become even more stingy.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 21, 2014, 03:13:45 am »

I've been raged on a couple of times. Even though I don't consider myself the best of players, but I get the feeling that most of the angry players are either not as good as they think they are, or they are for some reason matched up with people that they think should be better. My point is that most of the time, people will rage at you for stuff you cannot do anything about. So generally, you should just shrug any rage off.

Also, once you unlock ranked play, there's MMR on the line and people become even more stingy.
I see, so they'll probably me more ticked if you mess up when it's ranked. Yet hopefully you'd be at comparable levels of skill?
I appreciate the advice though as that's been one of my main concerns about the game is the reputation (perhaps blown out of proportion?) the community has for raging. Also, is voice chat very important in most pub games? Because I very much dislike talking and hearing random voices of strangers. Although I know coordination is very important.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 21, 2014, 04:21:17 am »

I've only played one ranked game. I've yet to get my initial MMR, so currently it matches me with people of kind of random skill. I assume. So before you actually get your MMR you can be matched with people that are better or worse players than you.

I don't really think DotA 2 players rage more than people playing other games. But you play with 9 other players every game. So you get a ton of players at the same time. Also, as in any co-op game with randoms, you are more easily annoyed at the randomness of your matchmaking. "Oh, no. I got matched with a noob again!".

I mostly play on the European servers where people speak a ton of different languages, so in game voice chat isn't super common. It's VERY useful if people understand you, though. The few games I've played on NA servers have been more voice chatty, though, since people expect you to know English. And usually those games become more team oriented.

I personally don't get why talking with strangers would be weird, but I understand that people think it is. I think getting used to hearing others would be kind of good, in my opinion. Whenever I play I feel constrained when I can't voice chat with my team mates, but you don't have to do that. I know people who mute the ingame voice chat.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 21, 2014, 09:25:13 am »
+3

People will rage independantly of skill level. They just like having someone else to blame if they lose. Apparently, it's actually better at a beginner level though, because there people are much more busy trying to control their own hero. If someone gets mad at you, just remember they most likely have no clue themselves and just want to believe they aren't responsible for something going wrong.

Unranked matchmaking doesn't match you up with random people. There's a hidden rating that is used to match you up with people of similar skill, though of course in the very beginning, this is kinda hard to estimate. Ranked matchmaking unses this hidden rating as a starting point, and the only differences between the 2 matchmaking systems is that ranked allows you to see your rating, restricts the game modes you can play, and people get even more worked up about that number.
I have only playe ranked games when friends wanted to do that and a m quite happy this way.

Ingame voice chat is hardly ever used on European servers. I don't use it at all, but when playing with friends mostly use Skype or Teamspeak.

In other news, I'll be heading out to watch the Grand Finals of The International  in a bar soon. Quite curious how that will turn out.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 21, 2014, 09:52:10 am »
+1

I'm jealous of you. I'll be watching it in front of my computer. Will still be pretty fun, though. :D

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3278
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 21, 2014, 10:28:06 am »
+1

I'll play with you too. all this talk has made me want to play dota2 again... though I most likely won't play as much as I used to.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 21, 2014, 10:36:02 am »
+1

Does that make it 5?

Me, Jorbles, Watno(?), Ichimaru Gin and silverspawn, the valiant f.ds-troopers!

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2014, 01:20:52 pm »
+1

I'd be in to play. And I will chime in that I played about 6 ranked games but decided I really didn't care about playing with people who care so much about their mmr and went back to unranked (my favourite mode to play solo Random Draft isn't available in ranked anyways.) The game does a good job of matching you up with equally skilled people. I, like most people, end up winning about 50% of my games, which is apparently what the hidden skill system is designed for.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 21, 2014, 03:53:12 pm »

Awesome! I'd love to play with all of you guys. And maybe we could even pull together two f.ds teams that play each other! (or not  ;D).
I'm Pacific Time Zone, but we should definitely make this happen soon. I have a fair amount of free time at the moment and also stay up fairly late--so we could probably find a good time when we can all play.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3278
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 21, 2014, 03:54:47 pm »

howaboutnow? im just running out of stuff to do.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 21, 2014, 03:55:53 pm »

howaboutnow? im just running out of stuff to do.
Sure. I'm free right now and definitely for 1-2 hours. Anyone else?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 21, 2014, 04:35:34 pm »

Sorry at work. Have fun guys!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #195 on: July 22, 2014, 01:47:06 pm »
+1

In other news, I'll be heading out to watch the Grand Finals of The International  in a bar soon. Quite curious how that will turn out.
I watched this.  Sad how it turned out. 

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 22, 2014, 02:00:56 pm »

I watched this.  Sad how it turned out.

Yeah, I didn't even mind that those teams made it even though they weren't my favourite (they both played really well up until that point so they deserved it), but god was that finals boring.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 22, 2014, 04:47:49 pm »

Yeah, it was a really anticlimatic ending, and the fact that I wasn't really emotinally invested in either team didn't help as well.

Still a great event overall in my opinion.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 22, 2014, 05:11:49 pm »

I really like NewBee, and I'm glad they made it to the Grand Finals. But I'll also agree that the games themselves weren't that exciting. Not like last year.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 24, 2014, 06:09:49 pm »

I still can't believe what a scrub I am. I mean, I understand how difficult this game is, but I feel like I'm making 0 progress. I've watched approx. 20 of Purge's videos ranging from generalized strategy to pub castings and his hero specific games. Also been on Dotafire a lot reading up on character builds.

Earlier, silverspawn helped me out with 2 pub games (still my only 2 against real opponents). First, I went Warlock and we ended up winning--though I didn't help much I think. Second, I played Dragonknight and we kind of got crushed. He gave a lot of helpful advice that I really appreciated though.

I've played a number of bot matches, but after the laning phase, I feel like I enter a mindset of "acquire item x" and if I'm close to it, I will often miss teamfights. So I probably need to work a lot more on roaming after I'm stronger instead of continuing to farm.

Anyway, still trying to improve as best I can. And from what I understand and read online, I think practicing with bots for quite a while before entering real matches is probably a good idea. I really don't want to ruin anyone else's fun by messing up and/or have my fun ruined knowing that I'm not much of an asset to my team.

Normally in most games that I play, what I need to do at any given time is a little more apparent to me. However, (and this is probably a contributing factor to it being such a great game) I feel like decisions in Dota 2 are difficult yet also of extreme importance. Like when one should gank, push, retreat, farm, rosh, etc. is not intuitive to me at all. I often just end up continuing what I'm currently doing because I'm not sure if I'm making the right decision by doing anything else. Of course, the answer to being able to make the right decisions quickly and effectively is obviously experience, but I feel like there's still more I could be doing to improve my in-game decision making skills.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 18 queries.