Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 46571 times)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2013, 06:52:28 am »

I'm.only playing every once in a while at the moment, because I'm trying to.spend more time on other stuff (not that that's working too great though). Maybe I'll play some games again in the next couple of days.
@paddydoors: You can set your matchmaking to matching you with other solo players only in the language preference selection of the matchmaking tab (no idea why they put out there of all things)

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2013, 09:41:35 am »

@paddydoors: You can set your matchmaking to matching you with other solo players only in the language preference selection of the matchmaking tab (no idea why they put out there of all things)

Thanks!  I didn't know that.

But I'll probably still not check it... I'm not opposed to playing with groups of 2 or three... it's just annoying when the other team is 4-or-5 man coordinated. =(

And yes, you should play some more =).

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2013, 12:33:14 pm »

Played a game with Watno, he's a beast on Slark! (I am a middling support on Lich.)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2013, 03:50:55 pm »

I haven't play in a while (damn Hearthstone) but I'm up for a game here and there. So add me!
Grujah

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2013, 06:35:12 pm »
+2

Just played a game with Jorbles and three of his friends last night.  Seriously good people.

I really enjoy this game a ton.  We had a game (or two?) last night when we had a blast even when we were losing.  Lots of fun.  :)

I have yet to play a game with Watno or Grujah -- hopefully our paths will cross soon?

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2014, 12:58:41 pm »
+1

I just got into League of Legends.  Dota continues to scare me for now.  But if you're interested in getting into a MOBA like LoL or Dota, I highly recommend this series of articles:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-10-the-dota-2-experience-part-one

I get it now.

Here's your reason to play Dota 2, a reason Dota 2 players don't articulate because they're too busy playing Dota 2 and, frankly, the last thing you want on your team is more noobs.

Dota 2 is fencing.

That's the skill, and the appeal. I finally see it. You're fighting back and forth down these lanes, looking for an opening in the other heroes' defense. The other guy's too close to your tower, or too far from his friend, his ultimate skill's on cooldown, his health is low. Fights in other games last seconds. Fights in Dota 2 are dramatic; entire minutes of feints and narrow escapes. Duels that can span forests, roads and rivers without coming to an end.

FYI, theory, thanks for sharing this article.  I've asked several potential dota players to read it before trying, and now each one loves the game.  I think something like this helps people steel themselves for the steep learning curve before starting to learn the game.  It helps curb the tendancy for one's "overwhelmometer" to top out.

Also, of a huge help and encouragement to me was Purge's new player page: Welcome to Dota, You Suck.

A few snippets from that page...

Quote from: Purge
However, I promise that once you get the basics down, and you start playing casually with your friends, that you are going to have a TON of fun.

You are going to feed. You are going to ruin games, and someone is going to be happy to tell you why. DotA was originally played in Warcraft 3, and they had the most bad mannered, whining, assholes on the gaming internet. The only thing that comes close is Xbox Live. Luckily, with Dota 2, Valve has been making some really great strides to create a better environment for all players involved. The people playing the game are better than they used to be, but you are still playing a TEAM game that requires your allies to not be idiots for you to succeed. There will almost always be some levels of disappointment, and frustration between your aliies, and you.

My #1 tip to playing Dota 2, is that if someone flames you, or is freaking out about your play in an OVERLY(key word) critical way, press the mute button on them immediately, and then enjoy the rest of the game from your peaceful, but mysteriously quiet ally. Ignoring them doesn't work. Let them say 1 mean thing, and let that be it. Your day will be much better this way, I promise.

The last and best piece of advice I can give you is the reminder that DotA has a huge skill curve. I have been playing for about 3+ years. I have played THOUSANDS of games of dota. Every month that goes by, I think about how good I thought I was at dota a month or two ago, and it amazes me how much I’ve learned since then. Even players with good k/d(kills per death) need to realize that there is room for improvement on their game.

Jerks in pubs will tell you how pro they are and that their builds are the best. They are probably wrong, but THERE IS NO CONVINCING COCKY PEOPLE THEY ARE BAD. DO NOT ARGUE. Just know that with hard work and critical analysis of your mistakes you will someday pass their skill level. The greatest strength of ANY DotA player is knowing that there are always things to work on with your game play.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2014, 01:38:32 pm »
+1

I gotta agree with Paddy. That Eurogamer article convinced me and then I showed it to my friends and it convinced them as well. It's a really compelling piece that explains the early game experience, but also what you can look forward to later. Some of my friends burned out on it eventually, but about half of them stuck with it and now we've got a bunch of regular players who try to play every week.

I discovered that Welcome to Dota, You Suck article on my own, but can vouch for it. It's a really good thing to read after you've gone through the tutorials and maybe played your first disastrous game.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2014, 06:33:20 am »
+1

So, now that I've started playing. Does anyone here still play? I kind of like the games you have to immerse yourself in. This might be one of the more demanding games, though. I still think it's pretty fun. Have played some with friends that are kind of experienced, and that actually helped me getting over some kind of threshold. I'd like to think I have a basic understanding of how the game works. Now I'll just have to put it to the test. ;)

If anyone is interested, hit me up on Steam.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2014, 08:57:12 am »
+1

I still play, and I also see Watno and Paddy online semi-regularly.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2014, 09:09:52 am »
+1

I'm playing pretty much every night atm.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3291
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 19, 2014, 09:59:19 pm »

for me dota has kind of been replaced by dominion, but i used to play alot... still play sometimes

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2014, 01:25:59 pm »
+1

for me dota has kind of been replaced by dominion, but i used to play alot... still play sometimes

It actually kindof went the opposite way for me. dota has replaced dominion. I barely play on goko, still play IRL sometimes though. I'm mostly here for the forum games.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 20, 2014, 01:39:01 pm »
+1

I've been pretty much alternating between the two of them for some years now.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2014, 08:28:23 am »
+1

i think Valve just may have gotten to spend real money to look better in a virtual world for the first time.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2014, 09:39:42 am »
+1

To elaborate: They have released a "compendium", which gives you some goodies related to the upcoming "The International 4"-Tournament. It allows you to participate in a fantasy league and make predictions on the winners. A quarter of the money you spend on it goes to the prizepool of the tournament, which started out at 1,6 million $ and has reached 2,200,000 in less than 8 hours it's been available, with these hours being mostly night/morning in Europe and America. Last year they got to  $2,874,407 in several months, which was already considered huge.

That means Valve has made already sold $2.4 million worth of these things, and are likely to make a lot more. I really like this business model working out.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 16, 2014, 10:44:39 am »

So they're introducing a Dota 2 Fantasy League: http://blog.dota2.com/2014/05/introducing-fantasy-league-season-one/
How about forming an f.ds league?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2014, 12:41:23 pm »

I'd be in! Paddy?

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2014, 09:45:34 pm »

Not spending real world money on dota yet (if ever), sorry.  No compendium or fantasy league for me (fantasy league requires compendium, yes?).

Reading the recent posts in this thread for the first time: I've been away from f.ds for quite a bit.  Lekkit, what's your steam handle? Hit me up I'm happy to play dota with you man. Grujah and I have played like two games together and he's way better than me. Wagon and I played a ton together for a while and he's better than me too. Jorbles and his people are super fun to play with too, and they are also better than me except they have a newer guy in their group who is still learning obv.  Basically, if you're okay hanging with a noob, let's play. :-)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2014, 05:10:27 am »

@Watno: I'm not really interested. Or rather, I am kind of interested, but I don't have the time for it.

@() | (_) ^/: It's "Lekkit". I'm usually the worst in the partys I play with. So I think we'd get along. :)

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2014, 10:52:12 am »

Not spending real world money on dota yet (if ever), sorry.  No compendium or fantasy league for me (fantasy league requires compendium, yes?).

You need a Fantasy ticket, which comes with the compendium, but is also available at the Steam community market for ~20ct.

Anyway, doens't look like we have enough people who are really interested anyway.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2014, 11:04:50 am »

How many people are needed, and how much time do you think it would take?

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2014, 01:32:05 pm »

I'm not really sure about all this, butt I think 4 would be the absolute minimum and 6 would probably be good. Then again, I don't think it's really a good idea if half the players only play in order to allow it to fill up.

I guess it takes maybe 30 minutes for the draft and then time daily/weekly depending on how commited you are to update your lineup.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 08, 2014, 03:06:15 am »

Inspired by the League of Legends thread, can we get a 5 man team going?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 08, 2014, 10:46:03 am »

Inspired by the League of Legends thread, can we get a 5 man team going?

How often do you think you'd want to play? I'm interested, but I already have a scheduled night that I play with friends regularly.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 08, 2014, 11:11:57 am »

I'm afraid we don't have enough people and too much tiem-zone difference.

In other news, The International 4 is starting.
If anyone new to the game is interested, there's a special stream for people unfamiliar with the game at http://www.twitch.tv/dota2ti_noob
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.