Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 60  All

Author Topic: The Person Above You  (Read 125375 times)

Kooshie

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
Re: The Person Above You
« Reply #1325 on: April 23, 2013, 07:10:13 pm »

No question...  Kooshie, know any foreign languages?
Currently learning French, know three Russian words, I can count to around 15 in Japanese along with a few odd words(some of which are from dango diakazoku), three German words, and a little bad Spanish.  You?
And Ashersky?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: April 23, 2013, 07:16:32 pm »

Currently learning French, know three Russian words, I can count to around 15 in Japanese along with a few odd words(some of which are from dango diakazoku), three German words, and a little bad Spanish.  You?
And Ashersky?

I speak Japanese and Italian proficiently and Portuguese badly.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: April 23, 2013, 07:20:50 pm »

English, a few words to Spanish (basically nothing), and I'm learning Japanese (so I can watch Clannad without subtitles, yay!).

Ash: Speaking of learning Japanese, I got hiragana down and am going to start actually learning the language itself.  Any suggestions on where to learn the grammar?  Wikipedia doesn't work too well for that, it uses way too many technical terms that I don't know (just read the first paragraph of the page for "Japanese Grammar" to see what I mean).
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: April 23, 2013, 10:29:41 pm »

English, a few words to Spanish (basically nothing), and I'm learning Japanese (so I can watch Clannad without subtitles, yay!).

Ash: Speaking of learning Japanese, I got hiragana down and am going to start actually learning the language itself.  Any suggestions on where to learn the grammar?  Wikipedia doesn't work too well for that, it uses way too many technical terms that I don't know (just read the first paragraph of the page for "Japanese Grammar" to see what I mean).

What's your goal?  Like, being able to read Japanese (since you learned hiragana already) or being able to converse?  If you are focused solely on free Internet stuff, I can't really help you.

Pimsleur is a good beginner's system, and way cheaper than Rosetta Stone and all that, if you want conversational stuff.  If you want to learn to read, I can suggest some books.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: April 23, 2013, 10:37:52 pm »

I'm wanting to be able to converse.  One of the reasons I wanted to learn the language is so that I can watch anime (especially Clannad) without subtitles.  Also, my friend is learning Japanese too so it would be nice to be able to talk to him to practice.  I would feel weird not being able to read and write the language but able to speak it so I learned hiragana, and will learn katakana in a bit.  I don't know if I'll ever get around to kanji though, it's so overwhelming...

What's Pimsleur?

EDIT: And, if a book you could suggest was only written in kana, I might want to read it.  While I know all the hiragana characters, I can't read very fast...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:39:51 pm by sudgy »

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: April 23, 2013, 11:02:02 pm »

Pimsleur's a language learning program.  I used it last summer to brush up my French.  My guess is that it's best to use it when you already have some knowledge, which it sounds like you do.

Ashersky - when were you in Japan?  And I don't remember what thread I read that you were.  Was it this one?

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: April 23, 2013, 11:19:31 pm »

Pimsleur's a language learning program.  I used it last summer to brush up my French.  My guess is that it's best to use it when you already have some knowledge, which it sounds like you do.

Ashersky - when were you in Japan?  And I don't remember what thread I read that you were.  Was it this one?

I don't have much knowledge of the language itself...  EFHW, know any foreign languages?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: April 23, 2013, 11:38:35 pm »

Pimsleur is here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pimsleur+japanese

It ranges from expensive to not, depending on how big a program you want to get.  It started back in the day with cassette tapes.  It works.

To understand what you are reading, without knowing what it sounds like out loud, Heisig is the way to go: http://www.amazon.com/Remembering-Kanji-Volume-Complete-Characters/dp/0824835921/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

I have been in Japan often, and for extended periods of time.  Most recently I was there last month for two weeks.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: April 24, 2013, 04:12:04 pm »

I don't have much knowledge of the language itself...  EFHW, know any foreign languages?
I know enough French to read novels with a dictionary.  Conversation not as good.  I have also studied German and Ancient Greek, but I am not current with either now.

What foreign countries have you been to? (foreign from your perspective, ofc)

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: April 24, 2013, 04:25:04 pm »

Pimsleur is here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pimsleur+japanese

It ranges from expensive to not, depending on how big a program you want to get.  It started back in the day with cassette tapes.  It works.

To understand what you are reading, without knowing what it sounds like out loud, Heisig is the way to go: http://www.amazon.com/Remembering-Kanji-Volume-Complete-Characters/dp/0824835921/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

I have been in Japan often, and for extended periods of time.  Most recently I was there last month for two weeks.

The thing is, I would rather stumble along with some random free thing than some fancy thing I have to pay for (even if it isn't that much)...  Something interesting I read about pimsleur is that it doesn't teach you grammar, it just gives you phrases and you're supposed to learn grammar from there.  Maybe I could just listen or read to different Japanese things and learn the grammar in a similar way...

Anyway, EFHW, was that question directed to me or ashersky?

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: April 24, 2013, 04:29:18 pm »

At you, since I was answering your question.  Just realized that Ash didn't ask me a question. 

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: April 24, 2013, 06:11:31 pm »

I've been to Mexico three times, and Canada more than I can count.  My mom grew up there, so half of my extended family lives there.

EDIT: Oops, um, you, EFHW?

Kooshie

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: April 24, 2013, 09:41:17 pm »

Sudgy, you can also watch Clannad dubbed.  That's what I did.

I can't read any Japanese characters :(

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: April 24, 2013, 09:44:11 pm »

The dub is horrible.  The voices all (except for maybe one or two) don't fit.  My friend decided to see what the dub was like after we had watched the whole thing, and quit it once Nagisa started talking (before the theme song for those who haven't seen it).

Do you think you would like it better subbed?

Kooshie

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: April 24, 2013, 09:50:14 pm »

The dub is horrible.  The voices all (except for maybe one or two) don't fit.  My friend decided to see what the dub was like after we had watched the whole thing, and quit it once Nagisa started talking (before the theme song for those who haven't seen it).

No... I think I watched a snippet subbed, and couldn't really understand what was happening.  It was when Tomoya and Fuko were having a tongue twister contest, and I didn't realize they were in a big fight.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: April 24, 2013, 09:55:40 pm »

No... I think I watched a snippet subbed, and couldn't really understand what was happening.  It was when Tomoya and Fuko were having a tongue twister contest, and I didn't realize they were in a big fight.

Well, he did say (this is from memory, maybe not quite right), "Let's battle with tongue twisters."  Anyway, what would you rate Clannad on a scale of 1 to 10?

Kooshie

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: April 25, 2013, 02:45:02 pm »

Well, he did say (this is from memory, maybe not quite right), "Let's battle with tongue twisters."  Anyway, what would you rate Clannad on a scale of 1 to 10?
If 10 is high, then 999...

In other words, it goes off the scale.  I'm going to wait a little before re-watching it, though, because I want it to be fresher, and I want some episodes to be partly forgotten so I can enjoy the wonderful story, and not always know what's coming next.

Kooshie

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: April 25, 2013, 02:46:28 pm »

If 10 is high, then 999...

In other words, it goes off the scale.  I'm going to wait a little before re-watching it, though, because I want it to be fresher, and I want some episodes to be partly forgotten so I can enjoy the wonderful story, and not always know what's coming next.
How about you?  Which do you like better; the first ending song, or the one in Clannad After Story?

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: April 25, 2013, 04:49:03 pm »

When asked from 1 to 10, I usually stay in that range, instead of jumping out of like you did.  I give it a 10, and almost everybody else I know that has seen it (one gave it an 11 though).

If you're saying between Dango Daikazoku (the first ending song) or Toki Wo Kizamu Uta (the second opening song), I have no idea.  I can play both of those on the piano.  Which is your favorite?

Kooshie

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: April 25, 2013, 05:10:42 pm »

When asked from 1 to 10, I usually stay in that range, instead of jumping out of like you did.  I give it a 10, and almost everybody else I know that has seen it (one gave it an 11 though).

If you're saying between Dango Daikazoku (the first ending song) or Toki Wo Kizamu Uta (the second opening song), I have no idea.  I can play both of those on the piano.  Which is your favorite?
Definitely Dango Diakazoku.

Okay, ten, then, if that's that highest you can go, but Clannad...

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: April 25, 2013, 05:34:22 pm »

What's your favorite song from the show other than a theme song?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: April 26, 2013, 03:46:54 pm »

sudgy: What's the most interesting question you've gotten on here so far?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kooshie

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: April 26, 2013, 04:39:31 pm »

What's your favorite song from the show other than a theme song?
I don't know.  I don't know the names, anyway.

Wero: What's your favorite kind of pie?

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: April 26, 2013, 05:29:12 pm »

Probably the one you asked me that was a reference.  I can't remember where that was though.

Kooshie: What do you think of the fact that I own a stuffed dango irl?

Kooshie

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: April 26, 2013, 06:29:23 pm »

Probably the one you asked me that was a reference.  I can't remember where that was though.

Kooshie: What do you think of the fact that I own a stuffed dango irl?
That's awesome!  I ordered one online, but it hasn't come yet.  What color is yours?  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 20 queries.