Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: ragequit ethics  (Read 4401 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
ragequit ethics
« on: March 06, 2013, 01:00:43 pm »

this discussion has been hashed and rehashed for dominion, but how do we feel about resigning in innovation? my dominion instinct is to resign often; should i rein it in?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: ragequit ethics
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:15:20 pm »
+2

If people want to resign against me I'm not going to complain about a free win. However, I wouldn't be as comfortable resigning myself in Innovaion as I am in Dominion. The game is just so much more down to luck and it can always be turned round somehow... That next card might be the one card in the game which will turn the tables on your opponent, but you'll never know if you quit.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 01:22:52 pm »

Well, at the level of knowledge you and I have, TINAS, your statement is certainly true.  However, high level players like BrokenTree and yaron might be able to know by memorization that really and truly, all the next cards are not helpful to turn the tables.

But to be in such a hopeless state, you almost always have to be 1-2 turns away from losing.  I just take a couple draw actions instead of making meaningful choices and let my opponent finish me off, it takes just a few seconds.

If you are resigning because your opponent has 30 in his score pile and has achieved 1, 2, and 3, so actually losing is pretty far away, I would agree with TINAS that you should keep going because there are some crazy luck streaks that can turn things around.  Especially in Echoes.  I think theoretically Watermill can tech you up to age 10 from 2 in one action.

Ipnotaizig

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 04:02:35 pm »

When I had this win I thought it would be shareworthy because it is such an example of how turnarounds can be achieved, even in desperate situations (most of the game is boring, basically only the state of the game at the turn before last and then the actual last turn are of interest):
http://innovation.isotropic.org/gamelog/201303/19/game-20130319-124535-233f1cc8.html

Another ridiculous example I found on the forum while looking around for a good place to put my own example:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/881332/shortest-and-silliest-game-of-innovation-yet

teasel

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 05:12:13 pm »

how the heck did you end the game with slide rule? even if you had all the card splayed at best you could get a 9 since your lowest card has to be a 4 in any case

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 05:13:45 pm »

echo effect covers slide rule with another card.

Or slide rule was shared.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 05:54:24 pm »
+6

Clearly, the ethical thing to do if you think you are going to lose and you aren't going to have any fun is to leave.

But don't dare do it without calling your opponent lucky or questioning his sexuality or his skills.  That would be immoral.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 06:16:46 pm »

Clearly, the ethical thing to do if you think you are going to lose and you aren't going to have any fun is to leave.

But don't dare do it without calling your opponent lucky or questioning his sexuality or his skills.  That would be immoral.
I'm not sure whether or not the first line is serious.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 06:31:56 pm »
+1

this discussion has been hashed and rehashed for dominion, but how do we feel about resigning in innovation? my dominion instinct is to resign often; should i rein it in?

You should resign, but only if you mention Kickball first!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 09:22:59 pm »
+2

From what I've seen so far (only about 20 games under my belt)

If you're behind in achievements 5-0, you can still win.

If your opponent is 5 ages ahead of you, you can still win.

If your opponent has ridiculous numbers of points and you have 0, you can still win.

If your opponent is wrecking havoc on your board, you can still win.

If your opponent has tucked/splayed a gazillion cards and is solidly ahead of you in every icon category, and you're not in techs 7+ or close to winning by achievements.. you can probably resign. Icon/splay dominance is the only durable "choke hold" this game has. And it's still possible to squirm out of it by finding a shared dogma that will help you but be ruinous to him.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:24:01 pm by Kahryl »

ancientcampus

• Navigator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 12:42:09 am »

You can definitely get a lucky break and turn the game around, even when you're 30 points and 3 achievements down. That said, you are definitely less likely to win at that point (obviously). If you really don't want to play out the game (or realize you should probably be working ;)), I personally think it's fine to say something in chat, to the likes of, "Man, good going! You've got a big edge on me. I resign, good game."

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 11:48:15 am »
+1

One should never just ragequit; a courteous opponent will always recognize their opponent by saying something like, "You've got me on this one, thanks for the game."  At that point, you've established that you're not angry, but that you just want to start a new game because you don't see hope in this one.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 11:50:37 am »

If people want to resign against me I'm not going to complain about a free win. However, I wouldn't be as comfortable resigning myself in Innovaion as I am in Dominion. The game is just so much more down to luck and it can always be turned round somehow... That next card might be the one card in the game which will turn the tables on your opponent, but you'll never know if you quit.

having played several more games of innovation, this is just completely true. Ethics aside, the STRATEGY of the ragequit is much worse in Innovation than Dominion. The payoff for ragequitting in Innovation is a lot lower (because by the time you know you're doomed with say 98% certainty, the game is typically a turn or two from over, so you're not saving much time) and the risk is a lot higher.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 21 queries.