Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17  All

Author Topic: NewMafia III: Exploring the New Mansion (Day 2 ongoing)  (Read 45213 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
Re: NewMafia III: Exploring the New Mansion (Day 1 has begun!)
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2013, 07:41:19 pm »

Day 1 ends April 1st 3pm forum time

April Fool's Day? Really? That... That has to be intentional, right?
The end day is no joke. The following, however, is: Jorbles owns this mansion.
Haha funny, right?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2013, 10:26:44 pm »

Goodly folk of the town, avenge me.  My untimely murder, and the failure of your fellow townspeople to avert it, has doomed me to an eternity of wandering around my mansion, unable to eat, drink, or be merry! 

Oh Jorbles, you were so loyal for so long...what changed, dear friend?

The dead don't party?  Who knew?

I'm Spirit Bears.  Totally green (inexperienced) know no one irl,  barely anyone online. (Ok I'm a hermit....   In fact I'm a little confused about mafia games existing irl....?
Nevertheless. I'm Pacific Coast time (three hours prior to server). 
Cheers and bottoms up ash
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2013, 12:11:17 am »

Sorry, I was expecting a PM for when the thread unlocked, and now I have no idea what's going on.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2013, 04:45:44 am »

Hi! I'm Xeiron.

I have some rl experience, but are new to forum mafia.
This is the second game I signed up for. The first started a week ago.

I am in GMT+1

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
Re: NewMafia III: Exploring the New Mansion (Open for signups!)
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2013, 05:01:15 am »

This game will use the 2of4 setup. (http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=2of4)

There are six possible variations to this setup:

1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 5 Vanilla Townies, Cop, Doctor.
1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 5 Vanilla Townies, Cop, Jailkeeper.
1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 5 Vanilla Townies, Doctor, Jailkeeper.
1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 6 Vanilla Townies, Cop.
1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 6 Vanilla Townies, Jailkeeper.
1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 6 Vanilla Townies, Doctor
So, some setup speculation to start us off. Any time we get three or claimants, one must be lying. If you have a power role and someone claims it, you know they must be lying and should generally come out and claim. Doc should avoid claiming as much as possible, it's a very strong role unclaimed but won't survive long if claimed. Cop should probably claim if they've found scum (better to try to lead town to right direction and try to gauge some reactions first, maybe), and otherwise just use their own judgement. Just creating IC's by claiming town results can be pretty strong, remember you can't tell your past investigation results if you are nightkilled before you come out. Jailkeeper is in my opinion the hardest to play of these three, but it can be very strong. Night one you probably want to try to jailkeep the guy that you think will be making mafias night kill, but that's very hard to do. just don't get discouraged and again try to postpone claiming as much as possible, jailkeeper gets crazy strong the further the game progresses. it's an interesting role as it can work as a doctor or a cop in the right circumstances.
If you are mafia, I suggest just coming out and confessing. I promise we'll make it a quick death.

Avalanchian

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2013, 08:26:31 am »

Okay before I respond to Eevee's comment, I just need to check what IC means. Does it mean innocent claim?
"Edge case challenges are the Rube Goldberg machines of Dominion" - Michaeljb

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2013, 09:10:24 am »

IC means innocent child (confirmed town), just like my children.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2013, 09:20:18 am »

Wero! Didn't realize you we're one of the "newbs" welcome.

So I can't tell if we're in errrr or worse shape than last time. Scum always has a role cop now so setups where we have one power role is going to be harder but scum doesn't know how many power roles we have which is good. Last game liopoil and I knew there could only be one power role. So I don't expect there to be any fake claims.

As far as claiming at l-1 DON'T DO IT. And if you are a power role probably just claim vt unless your really are going to die. We don't want to let scum know if you are or aren't a power role for free, it makes it much easier for them to find the power role.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2013, 09:33:05 am »

Not sure I agree with not claiming. Depends on the board!

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2013, 10:00:51 am »

We rushed 2 people to L-1 and got them to claim, made pr hunting a lot easier.
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 20, 2013, 01:33:54 pm »

vote liopoil
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2013, 02:29:29 pm »

• First of people should say there gender unless you prefer not to, just know everyone here will default to the masculine.
  • Give your previous mafia experience(as eevee said)
  • and what time zone you are in.
  • Allso if you know anyone irl, I believe this was covered but going through again can't hurt.

It helps to keep peoples times in mind because people often seem scummy when their post times seem skewed, as though they are watching everyone else and contemplating what to say.

This goes for vets too, remember they are in the same boat as us they have to learn more new people.
I had planned on commenting after quick catchup, but this needs immediate addressing.
First item is important, I don't want to offend anyone.

Second item is totally optional, it's nice to let us vets know that you know things, so we don't try to "explain things to the new dude" and end up sounding like assholes.

Third item is totally unnecessary.  In fact, don't post it.  Here's why.  People do not seem scummy when their post times are skewed.  Period.  If you're going to scumhunt by accusing people of not responding in a timely fashion, you're gonna have a bad time. ().  Seriously, things come up.  Real life happens.  Now if somebody DOESN'T respond at all, then suspicion may be warranted.

Also, this is super important:  it is OK if the game 'stalls' for a few hours, or even a day while waiting on something.  If people keep posting posting posting useless stuff like "hey, when is X gonna be around, really scummy right?" it not only makes the mafia's jobs of finding mislynch targets ultra easy (just point at anyone who's not posting a lot) but is also just fills up the thread and clutters everything.

Discussion is good, but clutter is bad.  Some recent games on this forum have gone pretty badly for town, as there are pages on pages of posts (like 50+ pages, which over 1000 posts), and nobody every bothers to go through the monumental task of rereading anybody.  Then we all vote on gut-feeling and scum (that's what we call mafia) laugh their way to a victory.  Decent reads can and will be formed over a shorter number of pages/posts.  Don't ever let anyone tell you that there is a "minimum" number of posts to reach in order to 'not be scummy'.  That's absurd.

Ok, rant is over.  The fourth item is important only if you know somebody in the game in real-life.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2013, 02:44:38 pm »

As far as claiming at l-1 DON'T DO IT. And if you are a power role probably just claim vt unless your really are going to die. We don't want to let scum know if you are or aren't a power role for free, it makes it much easier for them to find the power role.

So there's a procedure that should be followed when a lynch is about to happen (People will often say "XX is at L-1", which means that they are 1 vote away from being lynched.  This can be extended to L-2 or higher, though this happens most often in larger games). 

FIRST, "being at L-1" and "about to be lynched" are two different things.  I think almost every time a power role is about to be lynched, that they should claim.
Note: a power role is one of the town-aligned roles that have night actions; so Cop, doctor, jailkeeper. Not the vanilla townies (VTs).

SECOND, if anybody hammers (casts the final, deciding vote) before we've had a chance to follow this procedure, that hammer is often called a quickhammer.  They are very scummy.  I will immediately and unswervingly pursue the lynch of anybody who quickhammers, even if they claim it is accidental.

THIRD, if you intend to cast the vote which lynches whomever is on the block, then you should first announce this.  Say something like "I intend to hammer XX".  Then we will give time for that person to claim.  It's possible that we are about to mistakenly lynch a powerful role for town, which is a very bad thing.

FOURTH, if somebody has stated intent to hammer you, and you are a vanilla townie, I strongly suggest that you say "I claim nothing", instead of explicitly claiming VT.  The reason for this is subtle: it is often bad to lie when you are town, and a PR (power role) who is forced towards claiming but doesn't want to out themselves may decide not to claim.  It's best if they can do so without being forced to lie and say they are VT.  This can be a useful tool for stopping scum from PR-hunting by putting people up at L-1, stating intent to hammer, but then not following through with the hammer.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2013, 02:48:17 pm »

Lastly, I will vote: Avanlanchian because he's concerned about non-participant EFHW posting in the thread, but isn't concerned about all of the fluff-posts/joking that the mods/players are doing which clutters the thread worse.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2013, 02:49:22 pm »

So there's a procedure that should be followed when a lynch is about to happen (People will often say "XX is at L-1", which means that they are 1 vote away from being lynched.  This can be extended to L-2 or higher, though this happens most often in larger games). 

FIRST, "being at L-1" and "about to be lynched" are two different things.  I think almost every time a power role is about to be lynched, that they should claim.
Note: a power role is one of the town-aligned roles that have night actions; so Cop, doctor, jailkeeper. Not the vanilla townies (VTs).

SECOND, if anybody hammers (casts the final, deciding vote) before we've had a chance to follow this procedure, that hammer is often called a quickhammer.  They are very scummy.  I will immediately and unswervingly pursue the lynch of anybody who quickhammers, even if they claim it is accidental.

THIRD, if you intend to cast the vote which lynches whomever is on the block, then you should first announce this.  Say something like "I intend to hammer XX".  Then we will give time for that person to claim.  It's possible that we are about to mistakenly lynch a powerful role for town, which is a very bad thing.

FOURTH, if somebody has stated intent to hammer you, and you are a vanilla townie, I strongly suggest that you say "I claim nothing", instead of explicitly claiming VT.  The reason for this is subtle: it is often bad to lie when you are town, and a PR (power role) who is forced towards claiming but doesn't want to out themselves may decide not to claim.  It's best if they can do so without being forced to lie and say they are VT.  This can be a useful tool for stopping scum from PR-hunting by putting people up at L-1, stating intent to hammer, but then not following through with the hammer.

This is exactly what I meant concerning claiming issues, thank you for explaining it better.

xeiron

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2013, 04:12:13 pm »

Someone once told me that mafia likes to lurk...
Vote: spiritbears for only having one post.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2013, 05:23:36 pm »

Vote: xeiron

It's been 26 hours since this game opened.  Hardly anybody has contributed anything.  This is absolutely the wrong time to pretend like posting infrequently is scummy.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2013, 07:42:08 pm »

Very good post shraeye, very good.

I'm not sure if everyone agrees with me, but I believe in voting, because it creates interactions. Now, I don't mean completely random finger pointing, but rather backing even smaller suspicions with a vote. I think xeiron going after spiritbears for not posting yet (not like wero for example has contributed yet either - which is fine) is worth noting. Seems thirsty for blood. They didnt announce the game start with a pm, some people don't visit the forum or the games section that often.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2013, 07:46:27 pm »

VOTE COUNT 1.2

spiritbears (1): xeiron
xeiron (2): Eevee, shraeye
NOT VOTING (9): Eevee, Avalanchian, yuma, spiritbears, BoxOfDOG, mcmcsalot, werothegreat, shraeye

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2013, 08:45:13 pm »

Pretty sure I am voting for Box

vote: boxofdog stay away from my soul

I am yuma. I have been on fds mafia for a while now... approaching a year. I am a male and prefer to be called as such and will auto-vote anyone that calls me differently.

Um... sometimes people think I am invisible so they call me invisiyuma. And I am US Mountain time. Which is GM something that I can't remember. But two hours behind forum time (ET)

So I am in the process of moving... should be done on Saturday... and studying for the biggest test I have ever taken to date--I'll have another one in about 2 weeks but we will deal with that when we get there--meaning I may be just a bit V/LA (vacation/leave of absence, although it certainly is not a vacation by any means). Not completely by any means and I imagine I will be able to keep up, especially if this pace continues, but just wanted to let you guys know.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2013, 08:48:58 pm »

VOTE COUNT 1.2

spiritbears (1): xeiron
xeiron (2): Eevee, shraeye
BoxOfDOG (1): yuma
NOT VOTING (9): Eevee, Avalanchian, yuma, spiritbears, BoxOfDOG, mcmcsalot, werothegreat, shraeye

P. S. Mods cannot be lynched (wero).

Thanks yuma. Changes in quote.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2013, 08:52:29 pm »

Shraeye is voting for avalanchian. There are only 4 people not voting, not 9.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2013, 09:22:27 pm »

Very good post shraeye, very good.

Which post is very good?  The one with the vote on xeiron?  What makes it a good post?

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2013, 09:34:27 pm »

It's been 26 hours since this game opened.  Hardly anybody has contributed anything.  This is absolutely the wrong time to pretend like posting infrequently is scummy.

Thanks. Maybe I'm still trying to figure out what's going on before I post and make a folk of myself!
So, for calling me out, I VOTE Xerion.
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2013, 09:36:02 pm »

See...that's why I don't post..."fool" not "folk"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17  All

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 20 queries.