Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 106  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXII: Bankers Beware -- GAME OVER, SCUM WIN  (Read 225663 times)

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXII: Bankers Beware
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2013, 07:48:12 pm »

Ha, bankable. I get it.

Bankable deadlines mean that we start with a specific amount of time Day 1, and the amount of time we get in subsequent days depends on how much time we've spent in previous days; if we spent more, we'll get less on later days. Essentially, eating the clock buys us less time to decide on who to lynch for the future.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2013, 07:50:05 pm »

I'm thinking we should map-claim. here's why:

-as of now, scum have a lot of info about the map, as they can all see each other.
-there are more town than scum, so while the map-claiming helps both factions, it helps town more
-allows for smarter night moves, because we know what rooms don't have anything good in them.
-We can safely save up money because "oh hey, there's a gold room a nearby, I won't waste my money on this!"
-town can avoid both trying to buy the same thing, causing an auction which results in a waste of money.

cons:

-scum have a better chance of pillaging someone who has a lot of money, or is in the same room as scum.
-scum have a better idea who has the best roles, and so make better kills

the second one is a real problem, so I'm suggesting not revealing exact location of ourself, or things purchased (or lack of things purchased). The main things we should claim are where good rooms are, and maybe what items are in places.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2013, 07:50:29 pm »

Ha, bankable. I get it.

Bankable deadlines mean that we start with a specific amount of time Day 1, and the amount of time we get in subsequent days depends on how much time we've spent in previous days; if we spent more, we'll get less on later days. Essentially, eating the clock buys us less time to decide on who to lynch for the future.

That's the theory.  Don't know how well its worked in other games to get D1s to end at a reasonable time.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2013, 07:52:02 pm »

I understand what bankable deadlines are. it just sounded like it would be a twist between bankable and set deadlines, so I'm wonderin the specifics.

you vote me for being a hypocrite, yet now there are two votes on me as well...

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2013, 07:52:25 pm »

So, what I want to know is, would scum try to do something crazy as in liopoil's 121 (lol) or would they try to follow the crowd and/or hide? I've rarely seen the former.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2013, 07:55:48 pm »

hide of course! there's tons of awesome places to hide in a huge bank! nobody would ever find me if I just sat in a copper room forever, and so would win!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2013, 07:56:29 pm »

I'm thinking we should map-claim. here's why:

-as of now, scum have a lot of info about the map, as they can all see each other.
-there are more town than scum, so while the map-claiming helps both factions, it helps town more
-allows for smarter night moves, because we know what rooms don't have anything good in them.
-We can safely save up money because "oh hey, there's a gold room a nearby, I won't waste my money on this!"
-town can avoid both trying to buy the same thing, causing an auction which results in a waste of money.

cons:

-scum have a better chance of pillaging someone who has a lot of money, or is in the same room as scum.
-scum have a better idea who has the best roles, and so make better kills

the second one is a real problem, so I'm suggesting not revealing exact location of ourself, or things purchased (or lack of things purchased). The main things we should claim are where good rooms are, and maybe what items are in places.

Another con (that I think is an even bigger problem) is that they will know where a lot of things are.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2013, 07:57:52 pm »

Deadlines!

Each game day will last at least 3 "real" days. Beyond that, you will begin eating up your 40 day deadline. 40 days will begin ticking away at 7:00 PM on Sunday.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2013, 07:58:59 pm »

well yes, but so will we, and the point is that it helps us more than scum. it also helps us catch up/negate their already huge advantage of having four eyes on the map. if they spread themselves out, which they probably will, they will be able to see a ton of the map already.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2013, 08:02:48 pm »

Vote Count 1.2

mail-mi (1) -- Ozle
sudgy (1) -- Jorbles
liopoil (2)  -- Kooshie, sudgy
sparky5856 (1) -- mail-mi
Jimm (1) -- liopoil

Not Voting (16) -- jimm, patpatppat, yuma, ashersky, Insomniac, Eevee, sparky5856, mcmcsalot, xeiron, Lekkit

With 16 alive, it takes 9 to lynch.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2013, 08:05:05 pm »

hide of course! there's tons of awesome places to hide in a huge bank! nobody would ever find me if I just sat in a copper room forever, and so would win!

I was talking more in terms of mafia play, but that's an interesting tactic. It does mean that you would miss out on the greater powers in other rooms.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2013, 08:05:13 pm »

okay, so my suggestion for today:

-mapclaim, or at least partially claim.
-set soft deadline
-scumhunt
-near soft deadline lynch. I'd suggest we lynch someone very scummy (duh). If there aren't any good cases, then lynch a lurker. If there aren't any big lurkers, I think we should random lynch, using the fancy new dice system. A random lynch can often be better than a normal lynch D1 because in such a big game it is easy for the scum to redirect attention elsewhere, with especially when there are three other people who will back them up if needed. We could weight the dice if there are people we find particularly towny, or slightly more scummy than others.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2013, 08:06:26 pm »

I was talking more in terms of mafia play, but that's an interesting tactic. It does mean that you would miss out on the greater powers in other rooms.

it's a terrible tactic! I don't think there is anything to gain by hiding in a room... when you have lots to gain by exploring!

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2013, 08:12:23 pm »

I was gonna say. I didn't think so either. Really, you want the powers.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2013, 08:16:34 pm »

Roll one we lynch liopoil.
Rolled 1d2 : 2, total 2

Well, the dice dont lie. Vote: Liopoil
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2013, 08:17:08 pm »

HA! not today you don't...

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 14, 2013, 08:17:33 pm »

Roll one we lynch liopoil. This dice roll may have been tampered with!
Rolled 1d2 : 2, total 2

Well, the dice dont lie. Vote: Liopoil
Wait a second! I said roll 1d1! THIS IS MADNESS!!!!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2013, 08:18:31 pm »

Well, I guess that means I'll have to unvote.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 14, 2013, 08:19:18 pm »

woah, woah there. and people said I was a hypocrite! here's mail-mi saying the dice don't lie and then voting me even though the dice proved my innocence! obvscum.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2013, 08:20:35 pm »

it doesn't let you role one sided dice. it will default to d2.

what do people think about claiming map info?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2013, 08:22:00 pm »

Fine. If this isnt one, we vote liopoil.
Rolled 1d1000 : 699, total 699

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2013, 08:23:24 pm »

Well then, vote liopoil is what we have to do. The dice dont lie (most of the time ;))

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2013, 08:23:30 pm »

I object to unfair persecution. It is too late, the dice already cleared me.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2013, 08:24:43 pm »

Rolled 1d1000 : 283, total 283

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2013, 08:27:35 pm »

also, note that I proposed random lynch as a last result if we get to our soft-deadline with no lurkers or scummy people... not as something to do before each player has even posted...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 106  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 16 queries.