Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Playing the best opening  (Read 2510 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10781
    • View Profile
Playing the best opening
« on: February 06, 2013, 04:04:21 pm »

So opening Mountebank/Chapel is the best opening. Witch/Chapel is #5. Only problem is, both of these are terminal actions that you really want to play as soon as possible. So, what do you do if they colide on turn 3 or 4? Is it different at all if it's a Witch vs a Mountebank? Or if you get super unlucky and they both hit turn 5?

I'm pretty sure the answer is to prefer the Curser, just want to get some consensus.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Playing the best opening
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 04:13:31 pm »

Really? I would guess prefer the trasher. You can trash 3 cards with chapel, vs giving out 2 with mountebank. Chapeling away will let you see your MB sooner?

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 04:23:35 pm »

I feel like it kinda depends what your opponent is dealt/doing. If they don't open 5/2 with you or get a trasher, I'd personally go the cursing route first.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 04:24:37 pm »

I'd be shocked if you don't want to trash. If they collide and you play MB, the most you can have is $5. (MB, Chapel, 3x Copper). Compare to the Steward decision of trashing 2 or taking $2 to buy a Gold; often the trashing is preferable. So, if the comparison is trashing an extra card (3 vs. 2) or getting a Silver (rather than a Gold), I would be shocked if you didn't want to trash.

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 04:29:05 pm »

I'd be shocked if you don't want to trash. If they collide and you play MB, the most you can have is $5. (MB, Chapel, 3x Copper). Compare to the Steward decision of trashing 2 or taking $2 to buy a Gold; often the trashing is preferable. So, if the comparison is trashing an extra card (3 vs. 2) or getting a Silver (rather than a Gold), I would be shocked if you didn't want to trash.

The only problem with this is that with Steward you aren't attacking your opponent. I don't think you play the MB or Witch because you want to purchase something awesome, you do it to start cursing/clogging your opponent's deck. You still might have the right analysis, but that's at least the rationale that I'm using with this.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 05:12:29 pm »
+2

I think it depends on the rest of your hand. If it's all Copper, you may want to play your MB and buy a 5. Otherwise, you probably usually want to trash. The Estates are just like Curses, and by trashing sooner, you're going to get to play your curser more.

Avalanchian

• Spy
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 04:31:28 am »

I think it depends on the rest of your hand. If it's all Copper, you may want to play your MB and buy a 5. Otherwise, you probably usually want to trash. The Estates are just like Curses, and by trashing sooner, you're going to get to play your curser more.

I agree with this post in general, but especially the bolded section. While early curses are more painful (see: IGG or Sea Hag), you really want to win that curse split. Cycling your deck faster is an obvious way to pull ahead of your opponent without buying a second curser and praying that they don't collide. I'm sure there are a ton of cases where this isn't true - as always, it depends on the board - but I think this is the general principle.
"Edge case challenges are the Rube Goldberg machines of Dominion" - Michaeljb

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10781
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 08:51:45 am »

I understand the logic behind all the Chapel first arguments. But it seems also that you are kind of giving up your lucky 5/2 start if you do that. You open Mountebank (or Witch)/Chapel, your opponent opens Silver/Chapel. They colide, and you choose to play Chapel. Now, your turn 3 looks identical to your opponent's turn 3. And your turn 4 is going to be slightly worse than your opponent's turn 4, because perhaps he has a Silver turn 4. So he buys Mountebank/Witch turn 4, while you buy Silver probably. Now, you have identical decks, and you got absolutely no advantage out being lucky enough to get "the best opening."

Then again, I suppose that might just be how it is, and it's "the best opening" because they don't colide more than half the time.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 10:10:09 am »

Except that chapel+silver does not produce a 5 at turn 3-4 lots of time either.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 12:08:13 pm »
+1

I understand the logic behind all the Chapel first arguments. But it seems also that you are kind of giving up your lucky 5/2 start if you do that.
You're not giving up your 5/2 with your play. It's the shuffle luck that gave it up. You got lucky on the first deal to get 5/2, but then gave it back by getting a collision. If you then choose to play the hand wrong, you're not somehow going to preserve your advantage -- it's already gone! You're just putting yourself further behind.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.