Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2144870 times)

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #5600 on: February 25, 2024, 08:30:39 am »
+4

My guess is this is probably already answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it.  How likely are we going to see more 2nd editions past the Cornucopia/Guilds one?

Donald can't answer that because the 2e can only release once the 1e sets are out of stock, and if people know there's a 2e coming then they won't buy the 1e.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: February 26, 2024, 12:32:16 am »

My guess is this is probably already answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it.  How likely are we going to see more 2nd editions past the Cornucopia/Guilds one?

Donald can't answer that because the 2e can only release once the 1e sets are out of stock, and if people know there's a 2e coming then they won't buy the 1e.
  That makes perfect sense. 

Death By Dominion

• Swindler
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: March 05, 2024, 11:22:00 am »

I was looking into picking up a copy of cornucopia and guilds 2e when it releases but one thing kind of irked me. I was wondering why the rewards had a cost of zero. From my understanding most out of supply cards (ex. Horses, loot, ghost, ect) have a cost. The two explanations I have seen are that it emphasizes that they cannot be bought and that it is so that it never feels like the correct play to remodel your reward. However to me neither of these make much sense because most out of supply cards have a cost so if anything it costing zero adds confusion. Also I think remodeling a prize into a province is much less of an issue than having someone swindle it into a curse.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: March 05, 2024, 11:52:07 am »
+1

Also I think remodeling a prize into a province is much less of an issue than having someone swindle it into a curse.
There are rather more kingdom cards that act like Remodel than there are that act like Swindler.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Death By Dominion

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: March 05, 2024, 12:10:51 pm »
+1

Also I think remodeling a prize into a province is much less of an issue than having someone swindle it into a curse.
There are rather more kingdom cards that act like Remodel than there are that act like Swindler.
Fair but how is rewards and different then say loot

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: March 05, 2024, 02:14:27 pm »
+5

I was looking into picking up a copy of cornucopia and guilds 2e when it releases but one thing kind of irked me. I was wondering why the rewards had a cost of zero. From my understanding most out of supply cards (ex. Horses, loot, ghost, ect) have a cost. The two explanations I have seen are that it emphasizes that they cannot be bought and that it is so that it never feels like the correct play to remodel your reward. However to me neither of these make much sense because most out of supply cards have a cost so if anything it costing zero adds confusion. Also I think remodeling a prize into a province is much less of an issue than having someone swindle it into a curse.
At the time they were the only non-supply cards; it was helpful to have them cost $0. It actually helped make it clear that you couldn't buy them. The Swindler vs. Remodel thing, that stuff doesn't weigh nearly as heavily for me. We thought it was more fun to not Remodel our Prizes, and it was always clear that this meant you could Swindler them.

As the years went by I learned that it was better to have costs reflect power level, for all the various things that interact with costs. So if the Prizes happened today, they'd have expensive costs, like Loot. At the same time people have gotten more used to non-supply piles, so there's less importance to trying to advertise that you can't buy the card. And the cards do still say "This is not in the Supply" (sometimes capitalized correctly), and you can put an asterisk by the cost.

But there I was making C&G2E, and well it's not like I would change the cost of Prizes, that's a functional change beyond what I do. Then they turned into Rewards and somehow didn't change from costing $0. For people who get expansions in order, the old reasons still contribute; it's not so bad. But it's not what I'd do with new cards.

Death By Dominion

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: March 05, 2024, 03:25:40 pm »
+2

Then they turned into Rewards and somehow didn't change from costing $0.
Thanks for the response this here is kind of what I was wondering. I also just wanted to say thank you so much for making dominion because it is the best board game I have ever played.

soudek01

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: March 09, 2024, 01:27:22 am »
+2

I really like when “setup:” and “overpay:” are bolded. I think this is especially helpful IRL games with newer players. Will this print of corn/guilds 2E have that bolded?

On a similar note, why don’t Charlatan and Footpad have some sort of visual reminder that they change the rules? A bolded “law:” for example. Their below the line texts are easy to overlook (especially IRL) and quite unprecedented/unexpected considering 99% of kingdom piles don’t modify rules. Did you consider other ways to implement those rules changes?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 01:42:14 am by soudek01 »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: March 09, 2024, 12:53:07 pm »
+3

I really like when “setup:” and “overpay:” are bolded. I think this is especially helpful IRL games with newer players. Will this print of corn/guilds 2E have that bolded?
Yes.

On a similar note, why don’t Charlatan and Footpad have some sort of visual reminder that they change the rules? A bolded “law:” for example. Their below the line texts are easy to overlook (especially IRL) and quite unprecedented/unexpected considering 99% of kingdom piles don’t modify rules. Did you consider other ways to implement those rules changes?
No-one in playtesting ever said "hey we should add a word to these cards." I mean it's that simple; lots of things never come up, that's one of them. Possibly the cards should have been a unique color, to draw your attention at the start of the game; it didn't come up, and they sure aren't.

The precedents are Baker and Young Witch! Two cards in the same box as Footpad. In the old days on isotropic, it was easy to miss Baker; one player would say "Baker Alarm!" And later Doug added that as an automatic thing. I can imagine online wanting a little box at the start of the game that reminds you of Baker / Footpad. And I mean maybe that will happen; not due to me going over there now and seeing "hey" but I sure don't need to rule it out.

From my perspective, everything modifies the rules. Woodcutter modifies the rules. It's easier to remember because you have to buy it to start getting the effect. But I broke this with a whole mechanic eventually, Landmarks, and no-one ever says, "we can't remember Tomb." So it seemed fair game. I think with Footpad the issue is that the bottom isn't sufficiently related to the top (it's related, but it's very mild). This in turn was due to, the bottom rule was different (an unforgettable "you have 6 cards hands this game"), and that didn't work out (it's not at its best on a Militia, would you believe).

flynd

• Swindler
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: March 10, 2024, 05:10:41 am »
+6

No-one in playtesting ever said "hey we should add a word to these cards." I mean it's that simple; lots of things never come up, that's one of them. Possibly the cards should have been a unique color, to draw your attention at the start of the game; it didn't come up, and they sure aren't.

The precedents are Baker and Young Witch! Two cards in the same box as Footpad. In the old days on isotropic, it was easy to miss Baker; one player would say "Baker Alarm!" And later Doug added that as an automatic thing. I can imagine online wanting a little box at the start of the game that reminds you of Baker / Footpad. And I mean maybe that will happen; not due to me going over there now and seeing "hey" but I sure don't need to rule it out.

From my perspective, everything modifies the rules. Woodcutter modifies the rules. It's easier to remember because you have to buy it to start getting the effect. But I broke this with a whole mechanic eventually, Landmarks, and no-one ever says, "we can't remember Tomb." So it seemed fair game. I think with Footpad the issue is that the bottom isn't sufficiently related to the top (it's related, but it's very mild). This in turn was due to, the bottom rule was different (an unforgettable "you have 6 cards hands this game"), and that didn't work out (it's not at its best on a Militia, would you believe).

I would argue that there is a difference here.  The extra effect on Baker only occurs once during setup so it doesn't need to be remembered throughout the game.  And the presence of something extra on the table, like a Landmark or the Bane pile, is a reminder that there is something that affects the game.  However cards like Charlatan and Footpad are just one of the 10 piles in the kingdom so there is nothing extra on the table, but they affect the game at times when I'm not handling those cards which makes it easy to forget that those effects exist.

That said, even though I like the idea of a bold prefix for these effects, I don't think it would make enough of a difference for me.  I'm considering just printing the continuing effects on separate cards to put at the middle of the table as visual reminders.

Nukatha

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5610 on: March 19, 2024, 07:51:55 pm »
+1

Is 'Shop' a noun or a verb?

Death By Dominion

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: March 20, 2024, 11:18:45 am »

Since it is a kingdom card and not an event I would assume it is a noun.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: March 20, 2024, 12:13:16 pm »
+5

Some people actually wanted me to never answer this for Duplicate. Maybe I should respect that here too. Something that can safely be left a mystery.

dane-m

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +198
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: March 22, 2024, 11:36:16 am »

Some people actually wanted me to never answer this for Duplicate. Maybe I should respect that here too. Something that can safely be left a mystery.
And at least with Shop it makes no difference to the pronunciation, unlike for Duplicate.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: March 28, 2024, 07:27:40 pm »

What's your favorite kind of strategy in Dominion? (e.g. trying to draw all of your cards in your deck every turn, noticing 2 cards that synergize too well with each other and using almost-exclusively those, etc.)

What portion of boards do you want that kind of strategy to be viable?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: March 29, 2024, 02:14:40 pm »
+5

What's your favorite kind of strategy in Dominion? (e.g. trying to draw all of your cards in your deck every turn, noticing 2 cards that synergize too well with each other and using almost-exclusively those, etc.)

What portion of boards do you want that kind of strategy to be viable?
My favorite thing is for something exotic to come up, some experience I haven't had before, didn't know about. I'd like that to always happen! In all of my games, and also all games that aren't mine.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: March 30, 2024, 10:47:50 pm »
+2

Cornucopia-Guilds 2E has a few more obscure or archaic names for cards - Footpad, Housecarl, Demesne, Coronet. Did you seek out lesser known words and is it something you'll be doing more moving ahead?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: March 31, 2024, 01:02:59 pm »
+4

Cornucopia-Guilds 2E has a few more obscure or archaic names for cards - Footpad, Housecarl, Demesne, Coronet. Did you seek out lesser known words and is it something you'll be doing more moving ahead?
They're fun once in a while. I don't try to have a bunch of them or anything, and didn't there, but then I also try to name cards things that cards aren't already named.

StrangerSon712

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: April 02, 2024, 06:50:36 pm »
+1

From CoolKid1182 in the Discord: “Base having such poor payload is too bad because it sort of teaches the idea that you should buy treasures/golds as payload.” What do you think of that?

What’s your favorite April Fool’s DomBot feature so far?

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: April 03, 2024, 07:24:39 am »

From CoolKid1182 in the Discord: “Base having such poor payload is too bad because it sort of teaches the idea that you should buy treasures/golds as payload.”
Base game has 4 Peddlers with Market, Vassal, Poacher and Merchant.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: April 03, 2024, 03:54:07 pm »
+3

From CoolKid1182 in the Discord: “Base having such poor payload is too bad because it sort of teaches the idea that you should buy treasures/golds as payload.” What do you think of that?

What’s your favorite April Fool’s DomBot feature so far?
The base game is doing its best, I mean my best; I'm trying to lead not mislead, etc. People start out buying all the pretty cards, then lose to money because they can't play their actions; it's a real problem that you have to see past that to building good decks. If there was a better way to mark that path well sorry; at least a few people got past money and had fun.

I don't want to look back at what all of the April Fools features have been. I put some work into one that hasn't happened, presumably because it's too much work for Cave; that one would have been great. I wrote the text you get evaluating your performance, so I'll pick that one. Hooray for me! Sometimes I'm that loser making the big money game; sometimes I write enigmatic paragraphs about bags of blood.

BlackHole

• Baron
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: April 19, 2024, 04:22:41 am »

Did you ever consider Traits to be applied to Night card piles as well?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: April 19, 2024, 01:47:55 pm »
+1

I didn't want to single out Night, to name it in an expansion with no Night cards. I considered applying Traits to any kingdom card; the problem is that it limits what you can do on the Trait. There were always Traits that would do nothing on e.g. Gardens.

Jesster

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: April 19, 2024, 01:50:49 pm »

I was wondering the same, thing, but upon looking at all the traits again, there are a few that are a little problematic with some night cards.  Hasty and Patient for example have you play the card at the start of your turn which doesn't mesh well with night cards that are specifically designed to be played near the end of your turn.  Several night cards are dependent on having already played and or gained cards in your turn at the time you play it.  playing these at the start of your turn would be pretty much useless.

Of course you could always just house-rule it to allow them on night cards and just reassign the trait to a different kingdom card if you happen to wind up with a useless/problematic combo.

Death By Dominion

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: April 19, 2024, 08:12:02 pm »

Just got cornucopia and guilds 2e! Two quick questions though.

Why does C&G not have a colored outline on the top of the box like say prosperity 2e?

What is the recommended way to mark which card is the bane?
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226  All

Page created in 2.371 seconds with 21 queries.