Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2144455 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #5575 on: February 04, 2024, 01:42:33 pm »
+5

Did you consider making the 2nd editions that came out last year into 400 or 500 card expansions?
I didn't. The second editions are a way of doing new expansions without actually selling new expansions; hiding the new stuff where it can be ignored. For example there's an expansion's-worth of cards between Seaside / Prosperity / Hinterlands 2E; for sure we would have sold more of those cards if they'd been an expansion. Wait, these sound awful; why did I do these? Ah yes, the key thing was to get rid of the cards being replaced. I wanted the products to be better; they didn't need to be larger too.

Similarly did you consider putting Durations into Prosperity or Hinterlands? Or landscapes into any of them?
I considered Duration cards. As you may know, originally Durations were going to be in each set after Seaside. That would have been fine, but didn't happen (story in secret history). There was no special need to put Duration cards into the 2E's though; it could have happened but didn't.

I didn't consider landscapes; they're a lot of work when what I'm really doing is replacing duds.

What's your latest thinking on how you decide how many cards to put in an expansion?
Mostly it's just, how many cards does this expansion seem to want to be? However there is one significant factor, which is tokens; the tokens make the set more expensive, as do more cards, so if it has tokens it's more likely to be smaller card-wise.

And then, there are certain ideal sizes for publishing that a set is bound to stick to - hence a set with 330 cards is unlikely.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: February 04, 2024, 10:09:14 pm »
+3

I didn't. The second editions are a way of doing new expansions without actually selling new expansions; hiding the new stuff where it can be ignored. For example there's an expansion's-worth of cards between Seaside / Prosperity / Hinterlands 2E; for sure we would have sold more of those cards if they'd been an expansion. Wait, these sound awful; why did I do these? Ah yes, the key thing was to get rid of the cards being replaced. I wanted the products to be better; they didn't need to be larger too.

Thanks for prioritizing making the game better. Replacing some old cards was a great idea in terms of making the average kingdom more fun.

Alekseyev

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: February 07, 2024, 10:35:13 am »
+2

I hope it's fine when someone asks a question as his very first post here. :D

What's your view on custom modifications of cards? Such as taking a little black permanent marker, crossing out the +Buy on Wharf and writing a +Buy on Merchant ship? Or perhaps putting a +something on Harvest.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: February 07, 2024, 01:37:36 pm »
+4

What's your view on custom modifications of cards? Such as taking a little black permanent marker, crossing out the +Buy on Wharf and writing a +Buy on Merchant ship? Or perhaps putting a +something on Harvest.
Have the fun you want to have! I personally customized some of my Hinterlands cards, before making Hinterlands 2E.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1686
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: February 07, 2024, 05:35:19 pm »
+5

I hope it's fine when someone asks a question as his very first post here. :D

Yes, but don't use a black marker! Use card sleeves with a piece of paper tucked into them or just put a neutral +Buy token on the Merchant Ship pile.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5580 on: February 15, 2024, 11:26:51 am »

Are you prepared to deal with all the "dude that card did NOT deserve to get removed" comments for Cornucopia/Guilds 2E?

How do you feel when a playtester suggests something, you try it, and immediately realize it’s no good? (Spoilers for the Rising Sun secret history: this happened all the time.)

What’s the secret history of inviting DZ as a playtester? I know the story from my perspective but what’s the story from your perspective?

What’s it like creating card mixes for the mix tournaments? Do you get initial feedback on the mix from playtesters/whoever wants to moderate the mix?

What’s your favorite Dominion emoji on the discord?

Nukatha

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: February 15, 2024, 12:33:30 pm »

Are you prepared to deal with all the "dude that card did NOT deserve to get removed" comments for Cornucopia/Guilds 2E?
A small price to pay if it means we get a Cheesemaker/other cheese-related card.
I'll place bets now:
Cornucopia:
Horse Traders, Remake, Fortune Teller
Guilds:
Taxman, Journeyman, and maybe Soothsayer? (Given Charlatan and Bandit, even though Soothsayer remains unique).
Donald wouldn't break up the Butcher, Baker and Candlestick Maker, would he?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: February 15, 2024, 02:25:34 pm »
+3

I've got my bunker stocked.

How do you feel when a playtester suggests something, you try it, and immediately realize it’s no good? (Spoilers for the Rising Sun secret history: this happened all the time.)
The main thing is just, you know that happens constantly with my own ideas too; I'm not friendlier to those. You don't see all of them but man. So you know, I don't want someone to feel bad, but what can you do, there's work to be done.

What’s the secret history of inviting DZ as a playtester? I know the story from my perspective but what’s the story from your perspective?
Sometimes it seems like, there aren't enough people playtesting or commenting. I look for people who have positive characteristics for the job. They talk a lot, know things, are into the game. I was eyeballing you as a potential playtester, but there wasn't any Dominion playtesting going on. Then I invited you anyway. Then you played lots of Moon Colony Bloodbath, it worked out great.

What’s it like creating card mixes for the mix tournaments? Do you get initial feedback on the mix from playtesters/whoever wants to moderate the mix?
Usually I just make the list. Sometimes the tournament runner wants to mess with it a little. Rarely has there been any other input. Sometimes Cave says "that's just 74 cards."

It's fun making lists. I put in everything obvious, then either I need to find more stuff the mix can do, or now I'm worried about how many villages etc. I have. In the end I know the mix will work, because playing with random cards works. There's not a lot of risk here, it's just the joy of lists. And then, seeing games played with this particular environment of cards.

What’s your favorite Dominion emoji on the discord?
They're not really my scene. Wine Merchant is pretty appropriate, a successful emote.

Alekseyev

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: February 15, 2024, 03:35:51 pm »

Have the fun you want to have! I personally customized some of my Hinterlands cards, before making Hinterlands 2E.
Thanks for the quick reply! Would you mind sharing some of those Hinterlands card customisations you made?

Regarding some removed/replaced cards: Thief was too weak in the base game, and Noble Brigand suffers from being limited to silver, gold and forcing you to pick up what you trashed. But now with many powerful kingdom treasures such as from Prosperity 2E and Plunder, and loot from the latter expansion, Thief suddenly seems much more interesting, having been the only card that can both trash from all your opponents and then pick up whatever you liked between those. Do you think a fused version of the two cards would be a viable option, basically a steal-capable thief that doesn't trash coppers? Bandit always giving gold is nice and reliable, but the ability to take someone's loot or crystal ball or bank or buried treasure or or or... would just be so nice, I think.

Will(ow|iam)

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: willowhelmiam
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: February 15, 2024, 11:15:12 pm »
+3

Thanks for the quick reply! Would you mind sharing some of those Hinterlands card customisations you made?

They were posted to the discord:

https://discord.com/channels/212660788786102272/499250664690679808/741894379739807857

* Margrave's +Buy was moved to Cache
* Duchess doesn't let other players look at their own decks
* Fool's Gold dropped the Reaction
* IGG costs $6, makes $2, and doesn't have the option of gaining a copper.
* Mandarin costs $2
* Noble Brigand makes $2 instead of $1.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: February 16, 2024, 01:10:19 pm »
+3

Regarding some removed/replaced cards: Thief was too weak in the base game, and Noble Brigand suffers from being limited to silver, gold and forcing you to pick up what you trashed. But now with many powerful kingdom treasures such as from Prosperity 2E and Plunder, and loot from the latter expansion, Thief suddenly seems much more interesting, having been the only card that can both trash from all your opponents and then pick up whatever you liked between those. Do you think a fused version of the two cards would be a viable option, basically a steal-capable thief that doesn't trash coppers? Bandit always giving gold is nice and reliable, but the ability to take someone's loot or crystal ball or bank or buried treasure or or or... would just be so nice, I think.
I can't listen to your card ideas, and they should only go in the "variants and fan cards" subforum.

Alekseyev

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: February 16, 2024, 08:21:15 pm »

Sorry, wasn't meant to be a card idea, but I got sidetracked while typing. Question was meant to be more like, if you think Thief would be more interesting again now that there's so much diverse and powerful treasure compared to what it was like when it was removed.

They were posted to the discord:

https://discord.com/channels/212660788786102272/499250664690679808/741894379739807857

* Margrave's +Buy was moved to Cache
* Duchess doesn't let other players look at their own decks
* Fool's Gold dropped the Reaction
* IGG costs $6, makes $2, and doesn't have the option of gaining a copper.
* Mandarin costs $2
* Noble Brigand makes $2 instead of $1.
Thank you!

Nukatha

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: February 19, 2024, 09:19:36 pm »

Obviously I'm not Donald, but I can echo his prior statements from around the release of 2E and claim they're still relevant today.
Sorry, wasn't meant to be a card idea, but I got sidetracked while typing. Question was meant to be more like, if you think Thief would be more interesting again now that there's so much diverse and powerful treasure compared to what it was like when it was removed.
It still doesn't change the fact that in the early game Thief trashes your opponent's coppers for them.
This only ends up being a pitfall in games with beginners.
It also has weird scaling in 3-4 player games, allowing for extreme random power turns where you steal multiple 4+ cost treasures in one swoop (or else just improves their decks and leaving you with a pile of copper that you won't pick up. Actually, having the option to pick up 3 copper from Thief is a huge pitfall for new players). You also need to take into account that a card will most frequently be played with the others within its own set, and there are only base treasures in the base game.
Bandit fixed everything wrong with Thief. She doesn't help thin your opponent's deck, and always earns you a valuable treasure. It is not a new player trap as Gold is the most neutral "good" card you can possibly gain.
Even if Thief has the utility in modern games of sometimes grabbing you Loot or Fortune, the chances of that happening are very low, and just not worth it.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: February 20, 2024, 06:16:52 am »

Actually, having the option to pick up 3 copper from Thief is a huge pitfall for new players).
Not more than picking up Coppers with an extra +buy (which the rulebook actually offers as a possibility).
(I'm not disagreeing with anything else you said.)

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: February 21, 2024, 12:11:55 am »
+2

Since you've abandoned the idea of "all non-Supply cards cost ," how much would the Prizes cost if you made Tournament nowadays?
Probably $7*.

You're on record for saying that you'd make Prizes cost $7 if you made them today, or, well, 2 and a half years ago. I can imagine that you didn't, to keep the changes minimal, but was there any voice to change their cost during playtesting?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 12:15:28 am by MochaMoko »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: February 21, 2024, 12:44:30 pm »
+2

Since you've abandoned the idea of "all non-Supply cards cost ," how much would the Prizes cost if you made Tournament nowadays?
Probably $7*.

You're on record for saying that you'd make Prizes cost $7 if you made them today, or, well, 2 and a half years ago. I can imagine that you didn't, to keep the changes minimal, but was there any voice to change their cost during playtesting?
We considered it. Possibly it was the move still; mostly they're $0* because Prizes were. There is still a little "this makes it clearer that you can't buy these."

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: February 23, 2024, 06:46:30 pm »
+4

Thanks for all the fun over the years--Dominion is the best designed game I've ever played.  The simplicity of the base design that invites such complexity and iterations is incredible.  I love the way you balance the cards and I'm very grateful.  Also, thank you for making new sets for the love of it--I can tell it's not primarily for the money.  Especially because you guys sell the update packs separately, etc.  Anyways, just wanted to tell you thanks.  And I love the new update pack cards that just came out!
Blessings to you and your family

Joshua

• Steward
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: February 24, 2024, 01:45:09 am »

How do you feel about cards that sometimes have effects which will be irrelevant in some games? (Like Footpad, some games you wont be able to gain in action phase). Do you care about how small the chance is of this happening, do you look to not have many of these, or do you just not care at all (footpad is basically 2 way different cards in the 2 scenarios) Just your general thoughts

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: February 24, 2024, 02:46:14 am »
+2

Of course this goes back to original Dominion where you can have Moat with no attack.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

dirkdebeule

• Spy
  • Why Not?
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: February 24, 2024, 05:58:43 am »

How do you feel about cards that sometimes have effects which will be irrelevant in some games? (Like Footpad, some games you wont be able to gain in action phase). Do you care about how small the chance is of this happening, do you look to not have many of these, or do you just not care at all (footpad is basically 2 way different cards in the 2 scenarios) Just your general thoughts
At the moment there are 37 cards that have the “When you gain another card” triggered effect.
And A LOT more other triggered effects.
All of them will be irrelevant sometimes, that’s just part of the game.
(https://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Triggered_effects#When_you_gain)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 06:02:30 am by dirkdebeule »
The Witch likes walking from her Throne Room to her Workshop in the Garden 😁

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #5595 on: February 24, 2024, 09:20:46 am »
+1

At the moment there are 37 cards that have the “When you gain another card” triggered effect.
They don't have the 'in an Action phase' clause.

dirkdebeule

• Spy
  • Why Not?
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: February 24, 2024, 09:29:02 am »

Correct, but the question specifically was "cards that sometimes have effects being irrelevant in some games".
Footpad was just an example.
The Witch likes walking from her Throne Room to her Workshop in the Garden 😁

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +468
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: February 24, 2024, 12:41:57 pm »

Correct, but the question specifically was "cards that sometimes have effects being irrelevant in some games".
Footpad was just an example.

But unlike Footpad, most of the 37 cards' effects (e.g. Blockade, Watchtower, Tiara, Trader,...) aren't irrelevant in any kingdom, because they also trigger on buying cards, which you can do in any game.

Very few of those can ever be irrelevant (e.g. Labyrinth would only be irrelevant in a game without extra gains AND without extra buys, which is much more unlikely than a game without Action phase gains).

However, besides Moat and other Attack Reactions, Conspirator and Market Square are other examples of cards with irrelevant effects in a significant number of kingdoms.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: February 24, 2024, 01:16:36 pm »
+3

It's a concern when the card is absolutely nothing without the interaction, e.g. Tomb. For landscapes it seems sufficiently tolerable that I went ahead and made Tomb anyway. For kingdom cards, well they do something at least; Moat is relevant sometimes with no attacks. And of course cards that do everything they do are sometimes going to go untouched just because the board has something better to do.

For Footpad itself it's not much of a concern; it's always got the top, and that's what you buy it for anyway.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: February 24, 2024, 06:13:07 pm »
+1

My guess is this is probably already answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it.  How likely are we going to see more 2nd editions past the Cornucopia/Guilds one?
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226  All

Page created in 2.609 seconds with 21 queries.