Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2147604 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #1350 on: May 13, 2014, 08:23:48 pm »

Have you made any games other than Piņa Pirata that use the "Suit Deck"? Seems like it could be an interesting deck for a poker-style game.
I had big plans to but never did. It seems like it has potential. Of course some people do play versions of traditional card games using dominoes.

As it turns out, Bicycle makes a deck of double nine domino playing cards. Neat.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 08:25:41 pm by LastFootnote »

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: May 14, 2014, 04:32:39 am »

Have you made any games other than Piņa Pirata that use the "Suit Deck"? Seems like it could be an interesting deck for a poker-style game.
I had big plans to but never did. It seems like it has potential. Of course some people do play versions of traditional card games using dominoes.

As it turns out, Bicycle makes a deck of double nine domino playing cards. Neat.

Maybe an aspect ratio of 1:2 would feel weird when held in hand, but I suspect they didn't want to spend the extra money on special card stock. The result looks a bit disappointing.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: May 14, 2014, 09:09:44 am »

Maybe an aspect ratio of 1:2 would feel weird when held in hand, but I suspect they didn't want to spend the extra money on special card stock. The result looks a bit disappointing.

Um, sure, if you actually want to play dominoes with them. I'm just interested in playing/inventing card games that use that kind of deck. It's way cheaper than a Double Fanucci deck.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: May 19, 2014, 12:08:46 pm »
+1

Not sure if this has been asked earlier (this thread is quite long): The Intrigue rules offer a way to play up to 6-player Dominion, but caution against it because of the downtime between turns, and the base game already recognized that things should change slightly depending on number of players, i.e. 8-card Victory piles for 2 players.  Did you originally envision Dominion primarily as a game for a table full of players, or did you see the 2-player/competitive scene coming? 

Also along the lines of variations, did you think people would mostly design their own kingdoms, or play random ones, like Goko's pro mode? 

How did those expectations affect playtesting, if at all?  Did you play about the same amount of games with each variant, or weigh towards what you thought would be most commonly played? 

Last question: If the common variants did turn out different from what you expected, are there any cards that you look back on and think, "Maybe this card would be different if I had known which way people were mostly going to play this game?" 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: May 19, 2014, 12:33:07 pm »
+1

It's thoroughly applaudable you initially worded chancellor and other such cards the way you did and subsequently had no problem printing tunnel as we know it now, but were there any cards or design ideas you had to abandon because you weren't as careful in some other cases?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: May 19, 2014, 01:16:11 pm »

Not sure if this has been asked earlier (this thread is quite long): The Intrigue rules offer a way to play up to 6-player Dominion, but caution against it because of the downtime between turns, and the base game already recognized that things should change slightly depending on number of players, i.e. 8-card Victory piles for 2 players.  Did you originally envision Dominion primarily as a game for a table full of players, or did you see the 2-player/competitive scene coming? 

Also along the lines of variations, did you think people would mostly design their own kingdoms, or play random ones, like Goko's pro mode? 

How did those expectations affect playtesting, if at all?  Did you play about the same amount of games with each variant, or weigh towards what you thought would be most commonly played? 

Last question: If the common variants did turn out different from what you expected, are there any cards that you look back on and think, "Maybe this card would be different if I had known which way people were mostly going to play this game?"

I remember him one time saying that he was designing the game for 3-5 players, like all of his games.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: May 19, 2014, 02:39:19 pm »

I remember him one time saying that he was designing the game for 3-5 players, like all of his games.
Thanks.  Just anecdotal, but I seem to see a lot of two-player games on Goko, so I guess that makes my last question applicable, i.e. if there are any cards that fit fine in the 3-5 player game but might've turned out differently if he was designing for two. 

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: May 19, 2014, 02:46:08 pm »
+3

Thanks.  Just anecdotal, but I seem to see a lot of two-player games on Goko, so I guess that makes my last question applicable, i.e. if there are any cards that fit fine in the 3-5 player game but might've turned out differently if he was designing for two.

I think that online Dominion is more likely to skew towards two player games since you are just looking for a quick, anonymous partner to get your fix.  IRL Dominion probably has a far higher proportion of 3+ player games since it is something you do socially with a group of people.
Well you *do* need a signature...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: May 19, 2014, 02:48:51 pm »
+9

It's possible we'd see more 3-5 player games online if Dominion Online handled dropped players better. Right now it just ends the game for everybody. There are some who argue that that's the way it should be, but you don't have to have it happen to you very many times before you're sick of it.

In general, 2-player games seem more appropriate for a quick, casual online game where someone might have to leave at short notice.

I'm very glad Dominion plays so well at 2 players, since I want to play Dominion (and board/card games in general) much more often than I have a large group available to do so.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: May 19, 2014, 04:20:32 pm »
+5

At the very beginning, I make the game and see what happens. I am hoping for a wide range of players but it will vary based on the game. I am most interested in a game working with 3-5 players, because I will have 3+ players, and there are issues as you add players that are likely to nix 6+ (components, downtime).

It was immediately clear that Dominion worked with 2-5, and obv. there's more downtime with more players. Ideally many things scale well, but where something was going to vary depending on the number of players, I aimed for 3 players, to get it to be as good as possible with 2-4; effects don't tend to have funny curves here (you don't for example find things that are strong with 2, weak with 3, strong again with 4), so that's how you do it. And if you want to play with 5, okay. I never would have supported 6; any game company would have automatically supported 6. I worried about cards that change with the player count, such as Thief or Gardens. I tried to be happy with them for 2-4.

The first few games were with 4 players, but I was playing it with 2 and 3 also very soon after that. I didn't immediately vary the size of victory piles for 2, that came later; we just played longer 2-player games.

I have always envisioned it as a multiplayer game, but it is no surprise that competitive people on the internet prefer to play with 2. It reduces luck and downtime. But like, for the endless online testing we did, while there was some 2-player testing, often we waited for a third. And some people would just refuse to play with 5.

I thought people would mostly play with random cards, from all the sets they had. I did not foresee the popularity of the recommended sets of 10.

We tested the recommended sets for later sets; for earlier sets, they got played maybe once each. I figured, random works, these 10 will work.

IRL I mostly played with just two sets, five cards from each (sometimes 6-4 or 7-3 for a small set). This is practical; I was lugging boxes of cards to the place of gaming. Online we mostly played pure random, except when forcing a card or cards for focused testing.

I have for funsies played specific silly themed games. And the sets IRL have looked fairly different and I've played all the various forms.

I'm not sure I understand this one. If hypothetically everyone mostly wanted to play recommended sets of 10, I would have included more of them. I upped how many there were for later sets, but then got lazy for Guilds. If everyone only played with two players then it would have been better to shift certain cards towards being maximally balanced there, but it's not like it's far off as is.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: May 19, 2014, 04:33:29 pm »
+4

It's thoroughly applaudable you initially worded chancellor and other such cards the way you did and subsequently had no problem printing tunnel as we know it now, but were there any cards or design ideas you had to abandon because you weren't as careful in some other cases?
It would be nice if one-shots and Throne Rooms had types that cards could refer to. I made duration cards and Scheme and Band of Misfits anyway though. I think that's as close as it gets.

Card functionality can hypothetically be a problem; some wonky cards were made with the idea that I would be careful if I ever wanted another thing in that same space (and the idea that there probably would never be such a thing). Like, Trader makes "this turn, when you gain a card other than gold, you also gain a gold" impossible. I could make it "when you gain a non-treasure" though; and then that card would also be limiting what I could do.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: May 19, 2014, 04:58:51 pm »
+3

You've mentioned that it's good not to have errata and it's bad to have multiple cards with the same name that do different things. That being said, I would be very interested in a Dominion: Errata product, or a Dominion 2nd Edition, if you would. The idea would be touched-up or revised versions of cards that you could slot into sets to replace other specific cards. One way to do this and get around the issues I mentioned is to change the names of the cards. When you replace Scout with a more powerful version, don't name it "Scout". Name it "Ranger" or something. You wouldn't even necessarily need to get new art.

As a physical product, this makes no financial sense. As an online product, I think a case could be made for it. You could buy these revised cards and then change a setting to use those versions of the cards whenever you hosted a game.

It would be nice if one-shots and Throne Rooms had types that cards could refer to.

Wow, that would be mega-convenient. Hindsight is 20/20.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: May 19, 2014, 05:11:40 pm »
+7

You've mentioned that it's good not to have errata and it's bad to have multiple cards with the same name that do different things. That being said, I would be very interested in a Dominion: Errata product, or a Dominion 2nd Edition, if you would. The idea would be touched-up or revised versions of cards that you could slot into sets to replace other specific cards. One way to do this and get around the issues I mentioned is to change the names of the cards. When you replace Scout with a more powerful version, don't name it "Scout". Name it "Ranger" or something. You wouldn't even necessarily need to get new art.

As a physical product, this makes no financial sense. As an online product, I think a case could be made for it. You could buy these revised cards and then change a setting to use those versions of the cards whenever you hosted a game.

It would be nice if one-shots and Throne Rooms had types that cards could refer to.

Wow, that would be mega-convenient. Hindsight is 20/20.

I could imagine that 5, 10 years down the line or something, when Dominion buzz has mostly reduced to just being another old classic casual board game barring the few remaining die-hards on the largely defunct F.DS (wow, this turned bleak quickly... here, have a rainbow to brighten the mood again)... anyway to cut a long story short (short compared to... okay I'll stop there, this is getting kinda out of hand... out of hand compared to less out of *shot*), in 5-10 years down the line, I could imagine RGG asking Donald X if they can produce a Dominion 2nd edition of some form, which might do something like, I dunno, have the same card backs (for compatibility) but differently designed fronts, a few card changes and some streamlining occasionally, and maybe a new small or large expansion in the mix somewhere. But importantly and on topic, I imagine some cards might have some changes - small or significant. Throne Room gets the KC rewording. Scout gets a little extra power. Rebuild gets slightly nerfed (or not as we decide as a community it's actually mediocre overall, I dunno). Of course this would hinge on Donald X's decision, and well I can't talk for him but it seems like something he might be opposed to doing. But maybe 5 years down the line, that may well be different. I dunno.

Anyway this actually started out as a serious post. Not quite sure what happened in the middle, but I think I blame Ozle? But yeah, I could imagine some cards being revamped in a 2nd edition some time in the future.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:12:58 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: May 19, 2014, 05:27:00 pm »
+3

Would you be willing to comment (after the voting) on the kingdoms in the 2014 Kingdom Design Challenge?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: May 19, 2014, 08:28:31 pm »
+3

...anyway to cut a long story short (short compared to... okay I'll stop there, this is getting kinda out of hand... out of hand compared to less out of *shot*),

Anyway this actually started out as a serious post. Not quite sure what happened in the middle, but I think I blame Ozle?

Usually the best solution.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: May 19, 2014, 09:27:23 pm »

I'm not sure I understand this one. If hypothetically everyone mostly wanted to play recommended sets of 10, I would have included more of them. I upped how many there were for later sets, but then got lazy for Guilds. If everyone only played with two players then it would have been better to shift certain cards towards being maximally balanced there, but it's not like it's far off as is.
I think you answered what I was trying to ask anyway :)  I did mean along the lines of, "If you thought most people would play 4-player when you made the game, but then learned that everyone plays 2-player or 6-player, are there any cards or rules that would've been different in hindsight?"  Or random vs recommended sets instead of number of players, or other variations that you didn't expect people to play as much as they do.  Thanks for the response! 

I thought of one more: Did you think you were making a game that would prompt people to write articles and discuss strategic minutia at length like we do here on f.ds?  Or did you not think of Dominion as that sort of game until you saw people treating it that way? 

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: May 19, 2014, 09:40:43 pm »
+2

We've tossed around the idea of a "junior" version someday, mainly with an idea towards being sold in more chain stores. Something as simple as possible and with as few cards as possible. If it ever happens it might not be compatible though.

Jay isn't fond of changing stuff. The main issue is, two people sit down to play, one is used to the old version, one the new version. They have an argument. We can avoid that argument by not making the change. So, how much does the change get us? I think the main set for Dominion could be noticeably better - fewer dud cards, an extra card in place of pointless basic card randomizers. But uh it's pretty good as it is. The main thing to improve is variety - with more cards, it's not so bad if sometimes there's a dud, especially because new players won't have figured out what's a dud yet. And just buying an expansion does that trick.

Meanwhile a pure "fixed versions" product (i.e. that only includes the fixed cards, not cards that don't need fixing) doesn't seem great. It doesn't compare to just making more expansions.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: May 19, 2014, 10:42:42 pm »
+1

Would you be willing to comment (after the voting) on the kingdoms in the 2014 Kingdom Design Challenge?
Only one set with Rats, what's up with that. Whereas two sets let you play Gardens vs. Mountebank.

I dunno, analyzing these seems like a chore. I saw part of the video of the first one being played. Salvager / Peddler seems like the way to go. In multiplayer Jester/Fairgrounds is more of a thing. You can draw your deck with Throne as your village, who doesn't enjoy doing that.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: May 19, 2014, 10:46:10 pm »
+3

I think you answered what I was trying to ask anyway :)  I did mean along the lines of, "If you thought most people would play 4-player when you made the game, but then learned that everyone plays 2-player or 6-player, are there any cards or rules that would've been different in hindsight?"  Or random vs recommended sets instead of number of players, or other variations that you didn't expect people to play as much as they do.  Thanks for the response! 
In hindsight possibly the Curse formula should be different (since you're more able to not play the Curser with more players). That formula was specifically trying to handle varying numbers of players though.

I thought of one more: Did you think you were making a game that would prompt people to write articles and discuss strategic minutia at length like we do here on f.ds?  Or did you not think of Dominion as that sort of game until you saw people treating it that way?
The way I always put it is, I wasn't sure I would be able to get the game published, but if it was published then I thought it would get a shelf. There would be the shelf of Settlers stuff, the shelf of Carcassonne stuff, and then the shelf of Dominion stuff. I did not imagine that after those there would be a shelf of Dominion clones.

I guess I see your question as really one of popularity. I thought it would be that popular; as a strategy game that's popular, of course people analyze it. I didn't think it was unstrategic. I'd certainly had plenty of those conversations myself.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: May 19, 2014, 10:49:14 pm »
+3

Of course this would hinge on Donald X's decision, and well I can't talk for him but it seems like something he might be opposed to doing. But maybe 5 years down the line, that may well be different. I dunno.
Really it's more of a Jay thing. I have already admitted to whatever mistakes; that doesn't get worse when you actually fix them. The fixed version would be better. I do see Jay's point though. It's also not great to make players feel like you're trying to sell them a fixed version after they already bought an inferior one (and it's not like we'd want to give out free replacement cards either).

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: May 22, 2014, 11:43:57 am »

At this point a lot of people have made "it's just Dominion but with a little extra" so that's not so compelling anymore. Now I feel like the spin-off has to be more different. To qualify as a spin-off, you will have a deck that you build during the game; the rest is up in the air.

What sort of encouragement would it take to get you to mercilessly hate on Trains and its ilk for a brief moment? Or do you actually enjoy them/see unique value in them?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: May 22, 2014, 03:32:22 pm »
+8

What sort of encouragement would it take to get you to mercilessly hate on Trains and its ilk for a brief moment? Or do you actually enjoy them/see unique value in them?
What I always say is, it's great that people got to make Dominion-inspired games, and sad what they chose to do with the privilege. I have zero respect for the Dominion clones, and obv. you can actually make a new game instead, as A Few Acres of Snow and Eminent Domain demonstrate.

I'm not losing any sleep over it though, and it's not great for me to bash them, it just makes me sound like the worst person ever. I will have to count on you guys to bash them for me.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: May 22, 2014, 03:41:43 pm »

What I always say is, it's great that people got to make Dominion-inspired games, and sad what they chose to do with the privilege. I have zero respect for the Dominion clones, and obv. you can actually make a new game instead, as A Few Acres of Snow and Eminent Domain demonstrate.

I'm not losing any sleep over it though, and it's not great for me to bash them, it just makes me sound like the worst person ever. I will have to count on you guys to bash them for me.

Seems to me the line between "Dominion clone" and "new game" is pretty subjective. I haven't played many other deckbuilders, but they all seem to add something to the game, whether that makes the game better or worse.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: May 22, 2014, 03:48:32 pm »

Seems to me the line between "Dominion clone" and "new game" is pretty subjective. I haven't played many other deckbuilders, but they all seem to add something to the game, whether that makes the game better or worse.

Some are much clonier than others.  Ascension, Nightfall, Thunderstone all are different to varying degrees.  But then go pick up the Resident Evil deck building game... they changed almost nothing.  Trains, while having an interesting premise, spent far too much time cloning individual cards rather than doing something newer, which they totally could have done.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: May 22, 2014, 04:54:49 pm »
+3

It does not seem so subjective to me; the clones pretty obviously started with the entirety of Dominion, rather than starting with "we will build a deck while playing" and then making a game. Adding a mechanic on top is just what the Dominion expansions do.

Again, not a great topic for me, every post will to someone sound like I am saying I am the worst person ever, I have learned this from previous interviews.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 226  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 22 queries.