Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Why didn't NV/Bridge work?  (Read 1435 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Why didn't NV/Bridge work?
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:59:11 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/03/game-20121203-075515-c0d628df.html

The turn before I was about to see what I could put together, he managed to put together what he needed to grab the last two Bishops... I was way ahead on NV and on Bridge, having used University earlier to gain Bridges. Did they get scryed away or something? It seemed like pulling teeth the whole way to get Bridges on the mat... I started grabbing Bishops for insurance and hoping that a little trashing would help with getting things together, but then he got the rest of them. Can I ragequit when I pull Bridge * 3 / Copper / Bishop at the end of the shuffle?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: Why didn't NV/Bridge work?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:09:47 am »
+1

You don't need trashing with this deck.  Notice that all of the Bridges and Native Villages are gone by Turn 12.  You just need to must enough +Buy to empty any pile.  Your opponents deck is not ready yet and you have the lions share of the Native Villages/Bridges.  Rather than buy a Bishop, I think you could attempt to 3-pile on Estate.  Mind you, I don't know what was on your mat, so I don't know how feasible a quick ending would be.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 11:54:52 am »

As I was waiting for the last turn (when I was thinking maybe I *could* suddenly pile Estate) I had 3 NV and 3 Bridge on the mat. I didn't want to start buying the Estates right away because I worried I'd choke on them and he'd randomly snag a couple of Provinces or Bishop points or something.

While I was actually playing it, I wondered to myself if the key missing ingredient was +Card... I haven't really tried NV/Bridge in force before so I don't really know what to expect. But here with University support it seemed like it should have been the dominant strategy.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 11:58:50 am »
+1

You may not even need the University support here.  Consider what it does.  It gains you some Bridges and maybe a Native Village.  But the opportunity cost is that you could have purchased a Bridge your first turn instead of the Potion.  It is also another card that you need to get on your mat at some time in order to pull off the megaturn.  Both of those things slow down your ability to get your deck ready for that last big turn. 
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 12:00:21 pm »
+2

Usually you play NV/Bridge without support. Just buy Bridges and NV, play NV and Bridges,  hope you get enough before anything is going on, and take the big turn.  Certainly wouldn't go for the University, that's a Potion you don't want and which might end up on a mat anway.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 12:01:35 pm »
+2

If I have counted correctly, your opponent gained 7 VP on his last turn (6 from bishoping, 1 from an estate) while you gained 1 on your last. He won 16 - 8, i.e. before both of you played your final turns it was 9-7 for him. You should've been able to somehow buy the last 2 remaining bishops and 2 estates (gain the third last bishop with university you had in hand) on your t20, no need to pile drive estates.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 12:23:42 pm »
+1

The wiki has a page on this combo and a couple of sample games linked which show the best way to play it.

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Combo:_Native_Village_and_Bridge
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.637 seconds with 22 queries.