Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Shapeshifter  (Read 1217 times)

enquerencia

• Navigator
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
Shapeshifter
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:00:45 am »

Shapeshifter

Action 5$

-1$

If you buy an action card this turn you may replace that action card pile from the supply with a pile of the same number of cards from the randomizer set. 

Setup:  Put ten cards from your randomizers (at random) to the side.  This is the randomizer set.

---------------------------

I don't know if it's clear from the way I wrote the text, but if you play a Shapeshifter and buy, for instance, a Familiar, you will have to have $4P in hand.  And then you may remove the entire pile of 9 remaining Familiars from the board.  Then you choose one card from a randomly selected group of ten randomizers (which are all face down to any player who has not played a Shapeshifter), and put 9 copies of it where the Familiars used to be.

IDK.  This is my first fan card.   

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Re: Shapeshifter
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:21:02 am »

It requires a lot of preparation and cleanup. More than Black Market, I think. If this and Black Market are in a game, 9 cards of one name can be a randomized pile and 1 in the Black Market deck. If you switch out Forge for Duke, there are now 9 Dukes out. This seems weaker than Black Market. You get -$3 compared to Black Market; Shapeshifter costs more. If you want to deny a card to people, you could probably just buy the card first rather than getting Shapeshifter and waiting for the reshuffle.

enquerencia

• Navigator
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 08:22:48 am »

So -$1 is probably not right.  Or maybe $5 is not the right cost.  But I like the idea of changing what cards are available to buy during the game. How about this:

$4 Action

+$1

Trash this card.  If you bought an action card this turn, remove the remaining supply of that action card and replace it with a supply of equal number from the randomizer set.

The randomizer set would be face down and you would replace it with whatever card was on top.  In the instance of it being a victory card, you would replace it with the full number available for that game, regardless of how many cards were in the pile that was replaced.  I fully realize that this is probably swingy and hard to implement IRL.  But, again, I like the idea of changing the kingdom in mid game, and if there is a more optimal way to implement this idea that will still be *balanced*, I'd be stoked to hear ideas. 

But maybe this is a boring idea to everybody but me.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 11:32:33 am »

I don't think it's a boring idea. In fact, I came up with a similar card for my one-shot themed expansion, Dominion: Enterprise. The current version looks like this:

Boycott
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+$3. Trash this card. Swap a nonempty Kingdom card pile in the Supply with a pile from the sideboard.

Setup: Make a sideboard from 3 Kingdom card piles not in the Supply.

This still requires extra setup, but it has the advantage that it's quick to play. The entire sideboard pile is already there and you just swap the piles, regardless of how many cards are in each pile (as long as neither is empty).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.347 seconds with 20 queries.