Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 66  All

Author Topic: Mafia Game Index  (Read 144032 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Game Index
« Reply #1525 on: October 19, 2013, 08:30:58 pm »

I was bored a couple of days ago and designed like half the setup for a RMM Smalltown game. It's Pokemon themed and heavily influenced by shraeye/TheMunch's game. I'm really loving the whole evolution/move/abillity mechanisms in it, but would like a second cook in the kitchen. Is anyone interested in collaborating? It'll be an Open Setup once complete, so you can still play.

I never know if I will play in RMM or not, so I could be interested (if you felt you didn't want helpers to know too much about it in the future for whatever reason). But just looking at it, I would suggest implementing a draft process, similar to MXVI... I really liked that draft process and would like to experiment with it again, but fear doing so in a normal game because of balance purposes, but in a RMM that is somewhat less of a concern.
...balance is less of a concern in RMM??!!?!?

It's still a concern, but they won't ban you if it isn't balanced (unlike normal games).
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: October 19, 2013, 11:58:06 pm »

I was bored a couple of days ago and designed like half the setup for a RMM Smalltown game. It's Pokemon themed and heavily influenced by shraeye/TheMunch's game. I'm really loving the whole evolution/move/abillity mechanisms in it, but would like a second cook in the kitchen. Is anyone interested in collaborating? It'll be an Open Setup once complete, so you can still play.

I never know if I will play in RMM or not, so I could be interested (if you felt you didn't want helpers to know too much about it in the future for whatever reason). But just looking at it, I would suggest implementing a draft process, similar to MXVI... I really liked that draft process and would like to experiment with it again, but fear doing so in a normal game because of balance purposes, but in a RMM that is somewhat less of a concern.

Yes.

Okay. This needs to be said. You guys have been spoiled as of late with RMM games that have been exquisitely designed and nearly perfectly balanced, and were practically normal games with very slight twists. Some of us older guys (get off my lawn!!!) remember the days when RMM didn't mean guaranteed balance or anything even resembling normal. It meant a good time and some super crazy dynamics, but certainly not balance. Go check out Ozle1 or RMM1 or 2 or 3... fun a grand old time, but not necessarily balance.

Sure balance is a concern, but in RMM there are sooooo many variables it is extrinsically harder to balance because of it. Doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for it, but I think in RMM is a bit loser because of the MADNESS.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: October 20, 2013, 01:18:58 am »

Yes.

Okay. This needs to be said. You guys have been spoiled as of late with RMM games that have been exquisitely designed and nearly perfectly balanced, and were practically normal games with very slight twists. Some of us older guys (get off my lawn!!!) remember the days when RMM didn't mean guaranteed balance or anything even resembling normal. It meant a good time and some super crazy dynamics, but certainly not balance. Go check out Ozle1 or RMM1 or 2 or 3... fun a grand old time, but not necessarily balance.

Sure balance is a concern, but in RMM there are sooooo many variables it is extrinsically harder to balance because of it. Doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for it, but I think in RMM is a bit loser because of the MADNESS.

I agree.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: October 20, 2013, 11:09:18 am »

I do have to say Yuma and robz, that is coming from two people who pretty much do not play rmm... Why is that? Most likely because you enjoy the normal mafia style better, perhaps so do most of us and that why rmm is becoming more balanced just literally more role focused. That way bastard(which very little play) can be unbalanced.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: October 20, 2013, 11:15:09 am »

I do have to say Yuma and robz, that is coming from two people who pretty much do not play rmm... Why is that? Most likely because you enjoy the normal mafia style better, perhaps so do most of us and that why rmm is becoming more balanced just literally more role focused. That way bastard(which very little play) can be unbalanced.

I do think that the more balanced RMM becomes the better. Hence why I am playing it more often these days... The early games were fun, but did leave me not liking them as much, but recent games I have enjoyed more.

I guess what I am saying is that I think the RMM spectrum is very broad. It can range from ashersky's games to... well... Ozle's games. When you go into a RMM game you shouldn't expect the balance the way you should when you go into a normal game. If the balance is there... awesome. But if it isn't, you have to remember that it is RMM. So much focus on balance in RMM games shouldn't discourage creativity and experimentation with new things. The focus in RMM should be the creativity followed by balance afterward.

I think in the near future I--and probably with the help of ash and anyone else in the community that wants to--are going to try to put together a set of guidelines for what constitutes what type of games. It will be like rspeer's guide to fan card creation, but for mafia games. If enough support gets behind it we can make it standard procedure so that al games need to fit into those standards going into the future.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: October 20, 2013, 11:39:02 am »

maybe we ought to make it 3 categories:

1: really normal games. So usually simple open setup, if not open setup, something like C9++, or at least some assurance that at least half the players are VTs or something.

2: "role" games. So there's lots of cool role interactions, but still hopefully balance, and no crazy things happening

3: Role madness. More like the old RMM that people like yuma, ash, and robz are talking about, like the ozle games. MADNESS!

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: October 20, 2013, 11:44:33 am »

maybe we ought to make it 3 categories:

1: really normal games. So usually simple open setup, if not open setup, something like C9++, or at least some assurance that at least half the players are VTs or something.

2: "role" games. So there's lots of cool role interactions, but still hopefully balance, and no crazy things happening

3: Role madness. More like the old RMM that people like yuma, ash, and robz are talking about, like the ozle games. MADNESS!

This will certainly be discussed. I want to wait until Modern Community is over before getting really into it, but I imagine we will try to use Mafiascum's "normal game suggestions" as an outline, but also somewhat rely on precedent from previous f.ds games.

For example the mafiascum page suggests that bus drivers and lightning rods are never considered "normal" whereas we have had those roles a number of times in games that we have considered normal thus far.

So certainly feel free to be mulling over ideas, but let's keep the conversation mostly under wraps until MC is over and done with (as it is the main propellant for this discussion).

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: October 20, 2013, 09:04:41 pm »

Query whether the more meaningful distinction, instead of between "normal" and "role madness," is actually between "open," "semi-open," and "closed."

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: October 20, 2013, 09:10:27 pm »

Nkirbit and I are discussing changing our game from C9++ to a 9-player setup, given that we're running really close to Mcmc's game (also C9++), and it's good to have smaller setup games every once in awhile.

Anyone have any thoughts / preferences?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: October 20, 2013, 09:41:53 pm »

Nkirbit and I are discussing changing our game from C9++ to a 9-player setup, given that we're running really close to Mcmc's game (also C9++), and it's good to have smaller setup games every once in awhile.

Anyone have any thoughts / preferences?

I am all for it!

There are some interesting 9 player setups out there. Newbie style that sudgy ran would be fun to try out for vets who didn't play in the newbie game...

Alternating  9P is one we haven't done before that solves the follow the cop problem by having the cop and doc work on alternate nights.

Medical Mafia hasn't been run since MV. It was a really fun setup with a very different dynamic.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: October 20, 2013, 09:46:08 pm »

We were thinking about Matrix mafia. We were hoping there was something similar to C9++ out there but for 9 players, but unfortunately not. Medical mafia looks quite fun, as well, though.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: October 20, 2013, 09:47:28 pm »

The Matrix 6 that Yuma was referencing is probably the leading candidate atm.. I will check out the others.

PPE:  As will TA, apparently :)

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: October 20, 2013, 09:48:39 pm »

We would have quite a challenge fitting the Game of Thrones flavor into Medical Mafia!

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: October 20, 2013, 09:49:01 pm »

If I were to run alternating, my first thought would be to randomize the even/oddness of the doctor/cop.  To throw in at least a little random spice :).

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: October 20, 2013, 09:50:13 pm »

We were thinking about Matrix mafia. We were hoping there was something similar to C9++ out there but for 9 players, but unfortunately not. Medical mafia looks quite fun, as well, though.

I think if you are looking for something like C9++ for 9 player the matrix is your best bet. C9++ is the standard "medium" sized game, whereas Matrix has become the standard for "smaller" games.

I for one would love to play in it.

Medical Mafia still gives me night terrors...

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: October 20, 2013, 10:05:10 pm »

I'd so be in for Medical Mafia, but Alternating 9P would be better suited for GoT. I like nkirbit's idea of randomizing the nights.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: October 20, 2013, 10:08:52 pm »

If you want a 9-player game that is like C9++, go with JK9.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: October 20, 2013, 10:10:10 pm »

Twin Trap sounds fun.

Or True Love!

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: October 20, 2013, 10:18:30 pm »

Aw, Yuma just jumped us in queue? Why's that? :/

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: October 20, 2013, 10:22:19 pm »

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: October 20, 2013, 10:24:00 pm »

But, I'll reserve a spot. I can probably figure something out by then.

I think you might've missed this, ash.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: October 20, 2013, 10:27:19 pm »

Which queue?  I was waiting for blitz/non-blitz, I think.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: October 20, 2013, 10:28:17 pm »

Aw, Yuma just jumped us in queue? Why's that? :/

I had deleted him when I shouldn't have.  It was a setup change, not a drop, turns out.

So, I moved his regular game to the RMM queue, but instead, he was actually signing up to the RMM queue while just changing his regular game.

I put him back where he was in the regular queue (I think).  Was he after you anyway? 

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: October 20, 2013, 10:31:33 pm »

Yeah, I think we were after Grujah. I'm cool to go wherever, although maybe Yuma might like to have a chance to play some games instead of modding all of them? Wherever Yuma wants to go is cool with us though

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: October 20, 2013, 10:42:35 pm »

Which queue?  I was waiting for blitz/non-blitz, I think.
Oh, yep! See it! Somehow I must've glanced over it.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 66  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 16 queries.