Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 66  All

Author Topic: Mafia Game Index  (Read 144008 times)

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Game Index
« Reply #1375 on: September 16, 2013, 01:43:20 pm »

Put me in the que for another normal game and a role madness game, I have had a flurry of flavor thoughts and they will be flowing through multiple games.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: September 16, 2013, 04:06:39 pm »

I'm thinking, maybe we should have a stickied thread called "NEWBIE GUIDE" or something, which tells people how to get assimilated into the community...  Because it's pretty hard if you don't know what you're doing...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: September 17, 2013, 02:02:27 pm »

I'm thinking, maybe we should have a stickied thread called "NEWBIE GUIDE" or something, which tells people how to get assimilated into the community...  Because it's pretty hard if you don't know what you're doing...

So, uh, does anybody like this idea?  If nobody else is willing to do it but want it to be done, I can do it.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: September 18, 2013, 12:45:05 pm »

I like the idea, but uhhhh yeah, time and stuff. You do it?  :P

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: September 18, 2013, 07:40:15 pm »

Sign me up to host either a newbie game or a regular game.  Closed set-up (cuz that's how I roll), 13 players, zero flavor other than whatever pops into my frightening little head at the time of the typing.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: September 18, 2013, 07:42:39 pm »

Sign me up to host either a newbie game or a regular game.  Closed set-up (cuz that's how I roll), 13 players, zero flavor other than whatever pops into my frightening little head at the time of the typing.

raerae, you may be up next on Regular Games, I think.  mail-mi's running his BM game currently, so if mcmc's starts before that ends, you might get yours going.

Depends on how fast Camelot ends, I guess.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

raerae

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: September 18, 2013, 07:42:48 pm »

What if...we did this but is it possible to just have the board mods edit the thingy?  So the small people could submit things we think would be helpful to newbies and the mods could vet and post?  Maybe I just nominated them for something they don't have time for but I think we need some regulation rather than just random spewings that may or probably won't be helpful.

raerae

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: September 18, 2013, 07:43:13 pm »

raerae, you may be up next on Regular Games, I think.  mail-mi's running his BM game currently, so if mcmc's starts before that ends, you might get yours going.

Sounds like a plan, Stan.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: September 18, 2013, 07:43:36 pm »

come play with us in mcmc's game! I miss your face (figuratively speaking of course)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: September 18, 2013, 07:44:18 pm »

yeah, I think I'll open sign ups for my game after BMXIII is through. If we need a normal game before that's done, raerae can jump me.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: September 18, 2013, 07:45:10 pm »

come play with us in mcmc's game! I miss your face (figuratively speaking of course)
(He doesn't really miss you. He's just itching for a normal game to start with him in it. ;))
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

raerae

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: September 18, 2013, 08:37:45 pm »

No playing for right now.  I might sub if needed but I'm still trying to get used to this city/state/commute/awfulnewroommate/etc.  :)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: September 19, 2013, 07:17:55 pm »

At Yuma's suggestion, I'd like to add my slightly experimental Avalon Mafia onto the queue. I'm not certain which category it should come under though - it's not really a regular game, but it's even less of role madness or bastard mod.

The basic premise is thus:

9 players. 2 mafia, 7 town. Open setup:
One town member is Merlin. At the start of the game he is told the names of all Mafia members.
One mafia member is the 'assassin'. When the last mafia member is lynched, the assassin may confer with his partner, and then attempt to assassinate one player. If he assassinates Merlin, the Mafia wins. Otherwise the Town wins.

Mafia can also win by achieving parity, as normal.

Some thematic adjustments need to be made (assassinating dead people is a little odd) but nothing that a nice dose of flavour won't fix.

Anyway put it wherever it seems it would best fit. I also haven't Mafia'd in a while, so if people want to suggest balance changes I'm open to that (I think either 7/2 or 8/3 would be the right balance of town/mafia and as you can see I'm leaning 7/2 currently)
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: September 19, 2013, 08:27:52 pm »

This is what Doctor Who Mafia was originally going to be. I talked to Galzria about it, and I figured it wouldn't work.

The problem is, if Merlin ever reaches L-1, he can claim all the Mafia members names. Everyone then lynches him and then he flips Merlin. Everyone then eliminates the Mafia members and Town wins. But then you could have the Assassin be able to target Dead Players. But there is a problem with that too. If Merlin dies accidentally at the beggining, Town has no use to play anymore. They've already lost.

So I don't think it can work. Not without some heavy modifications.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: September 19, 2013, 08:31:16 pm »

In your first example, the Assassin would just target Merlin at the end of the game and win. In the second example, it doesn't matter. It's not Merlin dying which matters, it's being targeted by the 'Assassin', which as I mentioned, needs a flavour fix to make sense.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: September 19, 2013, 08:33:52 pm »

In your first example, the Assassin would just target Merlin at the end of the game and win. In the second example, it doesn't matter. It's not Merlin dying which matters, it's being targeted by the 'Assassin', which as I mentioned, needs a flavour fix to make sense.

My understanding is that the ways to win are:

Scum wins via lynching + NKing (normal mafia)
Scum wins by having the Assassin guess correctly about Merlin

Town wins by lynching both scum AND Assassin guessing wrongly.

That just seems imbalanced in favor of scum.  Scum's got two ways to win on their own merits, while Town has to bank on not only catching all the scum, but also scum guessing incorrectly.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: September 19, 2013, 08:36:44 pm »

When mafiascum.wiki comes back online, I suggest you take a look at the "Assassin in the Palace" variant game.  May give some assistance in setting up your idea.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: September 19, 2013, 08:37:52 pm »

The other thing to consider is what Merlin flips as when he dies.  Does he flip as VT?  Do all town members flip as generic "Town"?  Because you can't have merlin being revealed as merlin.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: September 19, 2013, 08:39:00 pm »

My understanding is that the ways to win are:

Scum wins via lynching + NKing (normal mafia)
Scum wins by having the Assassin guess correctly about Merlin

Town wins by lynching both scum AND Assassin guessing wrongly.

That just seems imbalanced in favor of scum.  Scum's got two ways to win on their own merits, while Town has to bank on not only catching all the scum, but also scum guessing incorrectly.

I'm not sure the numbers Tables has proposed are balanced, but the idea is that it's much easier for town to correctly guess all mafia because one of them already knows the answer!  He just has to figure out how to get his info out there without revealing that he was the one who put it there.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: September 19, 2013, 08:40:23 pm »

The other thing to consider is what Merlin flips as when he dies.  Does he flip as VT?  Do all town members flip as generic "Town"?  Because you can't have merlin being revealed as merlin.
I think having Town flip as 'Town' and scum as 'Mafia' would be the best way. That way scum don't know if Merlin has died yet.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: September 19, 2013, 08:43:59 pm »

Town also has a very powerful coplike on their team, which I'd think means the chance of scum winning by the normal means is considerably reduced. With 7 town members to pick between, it probably won't be that easy to pick out a clever Merlin, either.

But if you think it is too imbalanced in favour of town, I could always add another PR on the town side (keeping with the Avalon theme, probably Percival, who knows who Merlin is).

PPE: This isn't really anything like Assassin in the palace. That game has an extremely high town winrate by the lynch randoms strategy. Doing that here wouldn't work because you're actually playing a proper Mafia game at the same time, and you have a Merlin who knows who needs to be lynched. Er, it probably wouldn't work at least.

And yeah all town members flip as 'town'. Merlin flipping as Merlin would break the game. I forgot to add that (I made the rules like 9 months ago, its easy to forget little details)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: September 19, 2013, 08:55:57 pm »

I've had a couple of ideas that are kind of along the same track.

In the first one there's a King and a Queen. The King knows who some of the Mafia are and the Queen knows the rest. For the rest of the Townies, some are King's Servants who know who the King is, and the rest are Queen's Servants who know who the Queen is. Mafia wins if both the King and Queen are dead. Maybe there should be a Prince and Princess as well, who are backups.

The other one is kind of similar. Some number of Townies are Masons. Instead of needing to control half the Town, scum need to kill all the Masons to win. I'm not sure exactly what balanced numbers would be, but I think this would be interesting since the Masons seem almost like a Town-aligned scum team in that they want to disassociate with each other and scum will be looking for interactions to find more Masons after a Mason is killed.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: September 19, 2013, 08:59:50 pm »

I like your King and Queen idea. Though it'd probably be better for a larger game where you have 2 scumteams or something. But one slip up by a Townie could be really terrible for their team.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: September 19, 2013, 10:49:04 pm »

So at this point I have the first draft of A Grimm Tale done. So if anyone who doesn't want to play it and wants to look it over, let me know!
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 66  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 16 queries.