Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 66  All

Author Topic: Mafia Game Index  (Read 144041 times)

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Game Index
« Reply #1050 on: June 19, 2013, 08:57:33 am »

I think a huge problem lately is people having opinions then building a case around that instead of taking an objective look at the person and their interactions as a whole.  Add to that people calling scum teams really early in the game (which usually means finding one person scummy and forcing other people to fit into the role as that person's teammate) and we have towns that are just playing poorly.  Maybe we all need to take a look at the wiki page again and start from scratch?  I also agree with Robz, it does seem to get more difficult to play with people the more you know them.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: June 19, 2013, 09:24:55 am »

1) closed setups almost always favor scum. Town not knowing the setup hurts a lot. All games I ever run will be open setups.

2) People are better at being scum than town.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: June 19, 2013, 11:45:09 am »

I think a huge problem lately is people having opinions then building a case around that instead of taking an objective look at the person and their interactions as a whole.  Add to that people calling scum teams really early in the game (which usually means finding one person scummy and forcing other people to fit into the role as that person's teammate) and we have towns that are just playing poorly.  Maybe we all need to take a look at the wiki page again and start from scratch?  I also agree with Robz, it does seem to get more difficult to play with people the more you know them.

I have noticed this in games I spectated. Few town players are willing to go back and build real cases with quotes. When they do, the victim just accuses them of tunneling and posting a wall of text that is hard to follow. Players are getting overinvested emotionally while still not putting in the effort to build cases or even defend themselves objectively and logically.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: June 19, 2013, 01:10:28 pm »

I just think it's much, much, much harder to be town than scum. I think I would start re-balancing games accordingly.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: June 19, 2013, 01:48:18 pm »

I just think it's much, much, much harder to be town than scum. I think I would start re-balancing games accordingly.

I would change this to say it takes much, much more effort to play town well than to play scum well. Town has to do a lot of analysis to get it right.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: June 19, 2013, 01:49:55 pm »

yup. town has usually less than 4 correct lynch options. scum has many more good lynch options.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: June 19, 2013, 07:49:18 pm »

I would change this to say it takes much, much more effort to play town well than to play scum well. Town has to do a lot of analysis to get it right.

I strongly disagree. See the night thread for a longer post about it... funny how we are having the same conversation in two threads...

But I do think a compelling point is needed here. Strong town play gets eliminated. Often very quickly. So if you are a good town player, you only have to keep it up for 1 day, 2 days before you are NKed. Whereas if you are playing scum well, you are playing all game long to the bitter end.

Maybe it is because I have been on too many losing mafia sides. But I have very little sympathy for town, even when I am town. I do think we as a community have become better at playing town. And I don't think the answer is to stunt mafia or prop up town. It is to play better as town, maybe with a few tweaks to give town more tools to use as town?

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Bears on Bandcamp
« Reply #1057 on: June 19, 2013, 08:31:11 pm »

.....a whole day
Without mafia is killinme
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: June 19, 2013, 10:56:48 pm »

BM game idea: 5 scum, 5 town.  Scum wins.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: June 19, 2013, 11:04:22 pm »

We should try to design a balanced open RMM.

I have at least one role suggestion.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: June 19, 2013, 11:05:33 pm »

Actually, that's kind of what mine will be.

You'll see,
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: June 19, 2013, 11:16:08 pm »

There could be something like SmallTown. Or were you thinking something simpler?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: June 19, 2013, 11:22:05 pm »

There could be something like SmallTown. Or were you thinking something simpler?
Ooh my RMM is almost just like that except a little bit more complicated! Yes! You should all join when it opens!

Also, you should all join my game that's open right now.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: June 20, 2013, 12:04:51 am »

Depends on how you define "simple".

I would have suggested a regular open paradigm, where the roles are distributed randomly but all possible roles are known from the outset, possibly with more possible roles than there are players.  People can still fakeclaim, but they can't just wildly invent new fake roles.

As a group, we could propose new and interesting roles with mechanics that might not fit well into a regular game.  Since it is open, it also means that everyone can voice concerns that a given role or combination of roles is overpowered or underpowered.

By the way, the role I have in mind is a Jailkeeper variant.  Instead of selecting one player each night, the JK can jail X number of players.  Jailed players cannot target non-jailed players, and vice versa.  However, jailed players can target jailed players and non-jailed players can target non-jailed players.

X might be "half the town".  Thematically, the JK should always be outside of the jail, which means mechanically the mafia needs to have a way out, lest all members be caught and locked every night.  That would probably be in the form of X-shot keys, one player who is immune, or maybe certain powers that can slip through the bars.

Something else I'd like to include has been done a few times now, in various forms, I think.  That would be the multi-cop -- choose X players to investigate, get results that are not entirely clear.  Of course, it's too strong to have the result allow for "none of these are scum".  Maybe "the majority are scum/town"?  It depends on X too.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: June 20, 2013, 08:24:09 am »

Something else I'd like to include has been done a few times now, in various forms, I think.  That would be the multi-cop -- choose X players to investigate, get results that are not entirely clear.  Of course, it's too strong to have the result allow for "none of these are scum".  Maybe "the majority are scum/town"?  It depends on X too.

Something ash and I talked about in one of our setups, but decided we weren't going to use it, so I think it is safe to talk about here... is a multi-role cop -- choose X players to investigate and get back one or two role(s) that is determined randomly... So this way the mafia would have info in the way of a rolecop, but it isn't completely clear. Mafia could try to name themselves as players, but then might get the result back of their own role which wouldn't be useful at all...

On the JK side... I have thought about something similar... but having multiple JKs... (2-3) maybe three? But if the same player is targeted twice they are put into jail and then taken back out of jail... And if a JK is put in jail, none of his JK targets go through

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: June 20, 2013, 10:27:09 am »

Maybe the best way to freshen up the games
Would be to
Get more new players involved
Postpunk Noisegazr Shoegazing Punks [whathe]Spirit Bears on Faith Cannon Records.  confusing and confounding since 05

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: June 20, 2013, 11:45:40 am »

Indeed!

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: June 21, 2013, 10:06:10 am »

When should I open up Harry Potter mafia?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: June 21, 2013, 05:06:23 pm »

We should play a game of Greater Idea Mafia, similar to cayvie's arcana mafia that she altered from Great Idea Mafia, but each player gets two cards and chooses one.

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Greater_Idea_Mafia
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: June 21, 2013, 05:15:06 pm »

greatest idea mafia is better! (it would be RMM btw)

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Greatest_Idea_Mafia

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: June 21, 2013, 05:16:36 pm »

I know about greatest, not sure how it plays though.

Greater idea is hilarious in a party setting because so often we get a group of all town players.  One time we had 5 masons in a 9 person game.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: June 21, 2013, 05:18:53 pm »

it's pretty much the same: you get 3 cards, choose two. Choose one to show your alignment, another for your role.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: June 21, 2013, 05:27:07 pm »

We should play a game of Greater Idea Mafia, similar to cayvie's arcana mafia that she altered from Great Idea Mafia, but each player gets two cards and chooses one.

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Greater_Idea_Mafia

I like em both.

spiritbears

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: June 21, 2013, 05:59:33 pm »

I like this!!!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: June 21, 2013, 09:38:26 pm »

I like this!!!
Oh me too, a huge fan.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 66  All

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 16 queries.